JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spirit Power Brakes

• 2 months later...

How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh?

The Spirit empowers us to resist temptation; the Spirit provides a way of escape, we have the power of choice to follow the Spirit’s leading and/or or own to live and behave accordingly. 

I agree 100% with the lesson’s/study’s response:  “If” is a conditional word, making the sentence a conditional sentence and a powerful promise to Believers.

IF you walk in the Spirit,
THEN the impulses of the flesh won't find fulfillment and thus they lose their power.

As we learn to walk with the Spirit as a way of life, we can break the hold that the flesh has had over our lives up to this point.”

How does He restrain us?

We are restrained as we hear/respond to His voice over our own, over the influence of the adversary.

How does He enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

Amazingly, He doesn’t force us; He enables us to break the hold the of the flesh in the same manner as He does in our yielding unto Him, via the power of choice.

His divine will is that we will abide in Him; in His permissive will, as we choose things contrary to His will there yet lies a chance that we will return to Him (repentance); just as Peter was converted there lies the opportunity for us as well.

Q3. (Galatians 5:16-18) 
How does He restrain us? 
How does He enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

To enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh, the Holy Spirit keeps us alert and makes us aware of the adverse consequences that will result if we happen to give in. Since temptations strikes when we are most vulnerable, and because we cannot resist it alone, the Spirit equips us to fight it. The power of the Holy Spirit combined with prayer will strengthen our defences and defeat Satan’s power. 
He restrains us by taking the initiative and asserting His desires against those of the flesh (v17) and replaces them with holy and heavenly desires. He puts this gentle pressure upon us, and it is up to us to yield to His discretion and control. If any temptations come into our mind we must be ruthless in kicking it out at once, we must never begin to examine it and consider whether we are going to give in to it or not. We must remember that we have declared war on the flesh.
We can break the hold the flesh has over us only if we are being led by the Spirit, and we do not obey our selfish desires. As we live by the Holy Spirit's power, we need to submit every aspect of our life to God, to walk by the Spirit - acknowledging that the Holy Spirit is the source of our new life. As believers we belong to Christ; we nailed our old, evil, and corrupt nature to the Cross – the flesh has been crucified and is now dead. We now make a determined daily effort to live in union with Christ - the love of Jesus will be the motivating factor in our lives. 

(Galatians 5:16-18) How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh?

If we walk in the Spirit, the impulses of the flesh won't find fulfillment and will loose its power.  We will be able to break that hold that the flesh has over us.

How does He restrain us?

The presence of the Holy Spirit within us.

How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

By walking with the Spirit.

Q3. (Galatians 5:16-18) How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh? How does He restrain us? How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

1.  If we walk by the Spirit, and we will not gratify the desires of the flesh.The Holy Spirit contends actively with the flesh to keep us from sinning because we would if the Spirit were not active in our lives.

2. The restraint is the presence of the Holy Spirit himself within us, to whom we are called to yield as our guide.

3. We must be led by the Spirit, then we are not under law." When the Holy Spirit is present within us it will keep us from doing what the old sinful nature wants.

Since the Holy Spirit lives in us we have power that only comes from the Spirit. We cannot live victoriously or overcome sin on our own. The Spirit doesn't restrain us, the life that is Spirit filled gladly yields to the Spirits control, We become stronger daily  n our walk as we are obedient to the Word of God and are filled with the Holy Spirit. 

Q3. (Galatians 5:16-18) How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh? How does He restrain us? How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

When we choose to walk habitually or daily in the Spirit and seek Him meaning Christ and be responsive to His guidance and direction for our lives then we will not carry out the desire of the sinful nature that does not regard God and His laws. The life we live in the Spirit is what restrains us from the sinful nature. When we are obedient to the Word and Holy Spirit you are no longer subject to sin and the law of the flesh because of the fact that you are in submission to God.

Edited by Godswriter
wanted to add more

Q3. (Galatians 5:16-18) How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh? How does He restrain us? How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

The Spirit enables us by bringing God’s commands to mind and reminding us of verses in His Word. He causes us to think twice before doing anything bad. I know in my life at times He has given me a clear warning when I read something that was not biblically based. It was as if He was telling me to get rid of the book because God never said that and He, the Holy Spirit does not transport people anymore. So, I listened and got rid of the book I was reading. Other times when I am tempted He urges me to get away. He causes me to hold my tongue when I want to say something that is not good.

I believe the closer we come to the Lord the easier it is for us to break it. The easier it is to overcome temptations. The more we train ourselves to listen to Him, the stronger we become. Every time we refuse to give in we become stronger and find it easier to do with the Spirit’s help.

QUESTION 3: LESSON 7

The Spirit and the temptations of the flesh are poles apart. They do not converge, hence if one walks in the Spirit that means that person will not comply to the desires of the flesh.

How does He restrain us?      

We were familiar to the law handed down by Moses as the means of restraining ourselves but the flesh was too weak to stand up to temptation just like Adam and Eve failed to resist temptation in the garden of Eden. When we are led by the Spirit we are not under the law. This creates a vacuum to our flesh as our restraint is defined by the desires of the Spirit.

The Spirit directs us to serve God and this is diametrically opposed to the desires of the flesh. Now as we are led by the Spirit the flesh cannot circumvent the Spirit to make us do its bidding.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a.  We can resist the temptation of the flesh by walking in the Spirit.

b. Before Christ the law would restrain us, but in finding we could not keep all the law, Jesus came and fulfilled the Law.   For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.  For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit  (Romans 8:2-5)

c.  As we learn to walk an be led by the Spirit as a way of life, we can break the hold that the flesh has had over our lives up to this point.

On 7/23/2018 at 1:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

As we learn to walk with the Spirit as a way of life, we can break the hold that the flesh has had over our lives up to this point.

Previously, the Mosaic Law was the believer's restraint from letting the flesh get out of control though it was weak. Now the Holy Spirit is present within us to keep us from doing what the old sinful nature wants

"Through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:2)

if= =~ || !~; There is no middle ground. Only the word “or”.

The Holy Spirit, at-least in my case talks to me all the time, perhaps because I’m always asking for help with certain things in my life and when things are on the verge of getting hot, He reminds me of the help I asked for and basically tells me “don’t do it”, or “this needs to be changed”, etc., He reminds me of the strength we have received from Christ over the power of the devil and how, with that strength we are capable of all things. Sometimes it seems like I’ll trip over the same obstacles time and time again and it is like I’ll never get it right, but the fact that Jesus has kept us in the fight this long and knowing He’ll never give up on me gives me the comfort of knowing that victory is ultimately mine to the glory of God.

I learned much in this lesson so far, and maybe it is because I’m a slow learner but I’m finally getting a firm grip on what it means about living in the Spirit and not being chained down by the law. I was always more than confused because Jesus made the statement in Matthew 5:18 “For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.” It might be well to think that even though we are no longer under the law, it is a bad idea to break it.

3a. The Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh, by consistently walking step-by-step in the power of the Holy Spirit.

3b. He restrains us by the presence of the Holy Spirit dwelling within us.

3c. He allows us to break the hold the flesh has had over us by yielding to the Holy Spirit and by feeding on the word of God. As the scripture says,“But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Q3. (Galatians 5:16-18) How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh?                             How does He restrain us?

The  'LAW'  gave us God's do's and dont's  and it was left up to the individual to walk the walk; today we have the Blessing of having the Holy Spirit within us.  He is a constant reminder of God's LAW so our conscience is always aware BUT so much more in that He also gives us the strength to have restrain and to resist the things against God's best for us, things that have no place in the Kingdom of Heaven. 

"17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law." (Galatians 5:17-18)

"Through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:2)   .  With this freedom comes a 'free will" to choose and the more time spent with the Holy Spirit the easier it is to freely choose God's best for our lives. If and when temptation may trip us up we are blessed to know that we can be able to freely repent and be restored , without guilt or shame.... this freedom gives us that extra strength knowing that God's love is greater ... it is His love for us that truly strengthens us , and it is the Holy Spirit that always guides us back......  we are never alone anymore.    

Walking in the Spirit (Galatians 5:16-18).
1. Released by the Spirit from Bondage to the Flesh (Galatians 5:16).
2. Restrained by the Spirit from the Flesh's Dominance (Galatians 5:17-18).

Q3. (Galatians 5:16-18) How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh?

ANS: Q 3: By releasing us from the bondage of the corrupt sinful nature. Also by restraining us from walking into sin. We are promised the Spirit's power to release us from bondage to the flesh as we "walk by the Spirit (Galatians 5:16). In addition, by the Spirit we are restrained from the lawless tendencies of our flesh, our sinful nature (Galatians 5:17). IF you walk in the Spirit, THEN the impulses of the flesh won't find fulfillment and thus they lose their power.

Scripture Reference: " 16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law." (Galatians 5:16-18, ESV).

a). How does He restrain us?

ANS: Q 3a: The Holy Spirit contends actively with the flesh to keep us from sinning like we otherwise would if the Spirit were not active in our lives. But now the restraint is the presence of the Holy Spirit himself within us, to whom we are called to yield as our guide. As a result, we see in verse 18: But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law." In this way, the Spirit supersedes the Law as we follow his lead (Galatians 5:18). No other law or knowledge has the right to control us.

b). How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

ANS: Q 3b: As we learn to walk with the Spirit as a way of life, we can break the hold that the flesh has had over our lives up to this point. Though flesh was weak. Now the Holy Spirit is present within us to keep us from doing what the old sinful nature wants.

Scripture Reference: "Through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death." (Romans 8:2)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:43 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

3 a. His promise is that "If we walk and live (habitually )in the Spirit, responsive to, controlled and guided by the Spirit, then we will not gratify the flesh (godless human nature). He empowers us to walk in love more than we desire to walk in our old ways of the flesh as we walk and grow in Him. (He heals us from the inside out...so that our "want to" conforms with His, and then our actions bring Him Glory.)

b. Holy Spirit has a "voice" able to be heard in our spirit, and also able to be heard, if needs be, with our ears. He restrains us and retrains us as we yield to His promptings to soak and absorb the word of God (so we'll become acquainted with and knowledgeable about both sin and righteousness). He leads us into relationship with our Father/ Savior/ Spirit, Triune God, so that we learn, then recognize and experience how much we are loved, then to desire to please Him.  He promises that with temptation (from our enemy) He will not allow us to be tempted beyond what we are able to bear....and with that will provide a way of escape, so that we may become capable and strong, powerful to bear up under it patiently.

c. For me, it has been His love for me and gently replacing the fear of all authority figures (which included Him), with His gentle tending and renewing my soul/mind. I was told as a child when I asked about God, that "You'd better be afraid of Him if you know what's good for you!".....so I was even afraid to say His Name! He has been enabling me over a number of years to break the chains, by first of all, showing me that in Christ I am complete, beloved, approved of, forgiven and am His daughter forever. My "chains" were emotional from years of abuse, violent beatings, death threats, and neglect. (those wounds harbored sins of deep resentment, critical spirit, unforgiveness, etc) and hindered me from truly loving anyone since my parents were unable to bond with me or my 6 brothers. (Two of whom committed suicide) It has been a long journey with my loving Father/Savior/Spirit....demonstrating trustworthiness, faithfulness, reassurance, the perfect love which casts out fear, unconditional acceptance, and calling me into an honest, vulnerable, safe love relationship with Him. He has healed my heart, soul, mind and even ailments which began all those years ago, which doctors called chronic...therefore no cure. But as He has led me through emotional healing through 12 step Bible study, and other Bible studies, including  these online.(Thank You, Pastor Wilson for years of wonderful Bible studies!) my body is healing! He is truly an AWESOME GOD and FATHER. He is faithful to work all things together for good to those who love Him and are called according to His purposes, that we may be conformed into the image of Christ. Rom. 8:28,29.

The dynamic power that the Holy Spirit has when we walk with Him helps us to resist temptations of the flesh. 

The Holy Spirit is present within us to keep us from doing what the old sinful nature wants thus restraining us. 

As we learn to walk with the Spirit as a way of life we can break the hold that the flesh as had over our lives.   

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Galatians 5:16-18)

Q. How does the Spirit enable us to resist the temptations of the flesh?

A. The Holy spirit flashes on the red/ danger signals to us to warn us of danger ahead and if we heed the signal and ask for help to empower us to resit the temptation the we will overcome.

Q. How does He restrain us?

A. He restrains us by keeping the red danger signal on and empowers us to overcome the temptation.

Q. How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

A. By giving us the strength/ power to resist the temptation

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 1:43 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I suppose the Spirit can enable us to resist temptation by directing our thoughts to God instead.

He can restrain us by speaking to our consciences.

How the Spirit enables us to break the hold of the flesh is a spiritual mystery to me, much like how the wind blows. I suppose He changes our desires from sinful ones to God-pleasing ones.

On 7/23/2018 at 12:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

As Spirit and flesh are opposing forces ,the presence of Spirit RELEASE us from the bonds and attractions of sin and active life of Holy Spirit that lives in us RESTRAINS from the bondages and indulgence in sin ,

How does He restrain us? How does he enable us to break the hold the flesh has had over us?

The Active Holy Spirit  prevents the power of sin on us ,the impulses of flesh are defeated when one person leads a Spirit anointed and guided life ,

• 1 month later...

Jesus not only paid the penalty of our sins, but He also gives us power over sins. I like how Pastor Wilson paraphrases Galatians 5:16. IF you walk in the Spirit, THEN the impulses of the flesh won’t find fulfillment and thus they lose their power. When we allow the Holy Spirit to direct us and guide us and we are tuned with what He wants, our mind is diverted from the things of the flesh. There is an old analogy. There are two dogs, one white dog and one black dog. If the white dog represents walking in the Spirit and black dog represents walking in the flesh, the dog that would be stronger would be the one which is fed more. When we walk in the Spirit, the fleshly tendencies would lose its appeal eventually in our lives.

The things of the Spirit and the things of the world are diametrically opposite. They cannot co-exist together in harmony. Prior to the giving of the Holy Spirit, the Law and the conscience were the ones that were acting as restrainers from doing wrong things. But both did not empower us to overcome the temptation. Not so with the Holy Spirit. When we walk in the Spirit, He not only directs us but gives us power from within to restrain from walking in the ways of the flesh. It is a process but eventually the power of the flesh in areas where we had succumbed to earlier, we overcome through the power of the Holy Spirit who dwells in our lives.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:43 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

If we walk in the Spirit and yield to Him, then worldly desires or fleshly things won't entice us and we won't feel the need to go after them because our eyes will be set on God.

He restrains us by guiding us in the right path and leading us in the way that we should go. The Spirit tells us to serve God and love Him and we need to adhere to it.

When we give in to the Spirit, the flesh loses control over us because it is overcome by the Spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

If we are led by the Holy Spirit, we will not fulfill the desires of the flesh. There are desires of flesh and desires of the Spirit, both are contrary to each other. If we walk in the Spirit, we will do te desires of the Spirit only and not do the desires of the flesh. The Holy Spirit in us enables us to restrain every temptations of the flesh. When we were not in the Spirit, we were led by the desires of flesh fulfilling it and were captive to the sinful nature. Holy Spirit in us now(after the born again experience and baptism of the Holy Spirit and the continual filling of His Spirit) - law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death. Sinful nature finally having no power over the Spirit as we continually yield to the desires of His Spirit. The hold of flesh weakens in our lives and the hold of His Spirit increases in us making us withstand every fiery darts of the evil and overcome in Christ Jesus.