JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Gift of Knowledge

• 3 months later...

Yes it is legit to use Jesus as he modeled the use of the spiritual gifts when he raised Jairus ' daughter , when he cured the woman with the haemoraging problem when he saw the faith of centurion who wanted healing for his servant. He is not that different from us but we need to have a deeper belief in his power to help us and a deeper trust in him. He himself said  in John 14:12 "whoever believes in me  will perform the same works as I do myself, and will perform even greater works, because I am going to the Father..." The gift of knowledge in the Old Testament is seen in Bezalel, Oholiab and Ahishamach in Exodus 31:6 in whose hearts God placed wisdom to enable them to make all that he commanded them to. Samson also became stronger when the Spirit came on him. In Judges 6:34 the Spirit came upon Gideon to enable him to fight the Midianites.  In the New Testament this gift is seen in PETER  and Paul 

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example? Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

Yes, what better example to use.  Jesus is not that much different from us.  God will gift us with words of knowledge and wisdom thru the Holy Spirit just as he did Jesus.  We just have to believe in him.  All these gifts given thru the Spirit is for the upbuilding of the church.  The gift of knowledge in the Old Testament is shown in Gen 6; God forewarns Noah of the flood. Dan 2; Daniel reveals Nebuchadnezzar's dream. The gift of knowledge in the New Testament can be found in Mt 1; God reveals to Joseph that Mary's pregnancy is of the Holy Ghost.  Acts 8; Phillip jump on the Ethiopian’s chariot.

Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts?

It is my belief Jesus should be the example

Or was He so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

He was different in that He was without sin. His birth was different than our, yet He did not abuse or misuse His divine power nor His gifting's (Philippians 2:6-8). We as Believers, being born anew are also born of the Spirit in faith.

I believe we should follow Christ’s example as we live move and have our being. All that He did, was under the unction of the Father’s guidance. His motives were not carnal; His appointed opportunities were for and of purpose according to the will of God. He never abused the anointing that destroys yokes!

Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament?

Perhaps in 1st Samuel 3:4-10 as Eli gained insight from God

The call of God on Saul 1st Samuel 9:15-27

The deeds of Gehazi 2nd Kings 5:20-27

In the New Testament?

Though there are many, I like the example used in the lesson from John 4:17-18

It is absolutely acceptable to use Jesus as an example in the use of gifts. Jesus led a perfect life and He is the example for us all to follow. He led by example in everything He did and we are to follow His example.

I think we can find gift of knowledge in Old Testament and New Testament as well. In Kings and Samuel we find this example. In New Testament it is evident in the life of Paul.

Yes one can definitely use Jesus as an example in the use of one's spiritual gifts.  He is the Holy Spirit and He bestowed on believers the gifts to continue His works on earth.

Evidence of the gift of knowledge  in the Old Testament can be seen in Genesis 6:12-1 when Jesus foretold Noah of the flood.

Evidence in the New Testament can be found in Matthew 1:20 when God revealed to Joseph that Mary’s pregnancy was of the Holy Spirit.

Q9.1       Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts?   *     Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?                                             (    *    Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament?      *     In the New Testament?  ) 

Jesus' entire life was an example to us; the main example to me is that HE 'waited' for the appropriate time to receive and use the power of the Holy Spirit 'to do ' God's work.     As He ministered to people He did so 'as one' with the Holy Spirit  and not of His own accord ( flesh only ).  We need to remember to do the same and always seek the Holy Spirit and work within the gifting He blesses us with at that moment.  HE may only use an individual once , as He did with Amos in the Old Covenant , to warn God's people ;           or multiple times as with Elijah the Prophet ; or as in the New Covenant with Ananias  when he ministered to Saul after his Damascus experience.  

Jesus demonstrated different gifts of the Spirit at various times and some individuals today may also be blessed to have the Holy Spirit empower them  with various gifts , as He wishes and as they stay submitted.         

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example? Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

Yes, it is very much legit to use Jesus as our example. True, He was different than us, just the same as we are all different from each other. Jesus came in the flesh (as well as in Spirit), but He did not come as ‘a’ spirit. Although many situations have their similarities, which is where we can pattern our ministry after the example set by Jesus, I think it needs to be remembered that it is the situations which differ, but the example Jesus set can be tailored to any situation that presents itself. Looking into the OT for examples of the gift of knowledge one needs look no farther than the prophecies from prophets like Isaiah, Jeremiah, or Daniel, or some of the other prophets and the same goes for the NT looking at the book of Revelation, written by John.

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example? Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?
Yes it is very legitimate to have Him as our example when He is the one who exhibited the gift of knowledge and He is the one who can read our own motives as well. For He is God’s Son. He is different than us in the fact that He is divine and that makes Him God in the flesh. However that doesn’t mean we can’t pattern our ministry of knowledge after Him. In the Old Testament I see it with Noah and the flood. In the New Testament I see it with Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. 

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example? Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

I think it is very legitimate to use Jesus as an example because he showed the gift of knowledge in his conversation with the Samaritan woman because he knew she was living with a man who was not her husband. He used the gift of wisdom in responding to the Pharisees. He used his wisdom in how he responded to the lawyer in his answer about what the greatest commandments were when he relayed the story of the Good Samaritan. Jesus was just like we were because he was a man and he was God as well. I see the gift of wisdom used when two women came before Solomon saying that the other had her baby and Solomon said to cut the baby in half and when he said that the real mother spoke up and said to give it to the other one. While the other one said to cut the baby in half.

I see the gift of knowledge when Elisha told his servant that the one woman was troubled by something even though she denied it, He knew something was wrong and in the end, because he persisted he brought the dead child back to life. 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example? Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

Yes it is legitimate to use Jesus as an example, he showed us the gifts by example.

All through the bible.

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example? Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

1. Yes, because it allows us to know how a gift is used and help other.

2. No he was not so different. We see on occasional situations where God shows someone in the church what action to take that is unexpected and profound. This is a gift needed by church leaders so that they might guide Christ's church well.

3. In the Old Testament Noah and the flood. In the New Testament when Jesus met the woman at the well.

QUESTION 1_LESSON 9

It is legitimate to use Jesus as our example. Our assignment brief is in the Great Commission – (Matthew 28:18-20) 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” This promise shows us what is expected of us by Jesus. For him to be with us always refers to his spiritual presence and he encouraged us to emulate his ways on many occasions.

Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

Jesus was and is different from us as he is way above us in all aspects. However, we were enabled to carry on the work and pattern set by Jesus. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. (1 Peter2:24)This is essentially what qualifies us to carry on his(Jesus’) ministry.  It was in Jesus’ long term plan that his example would be our model or template for our ministry. (Matthew 10:1) He called his twelve disciples to him and gave them authority to drive out evil spirits and to heal every disease or sickness and (Luke 9:1-2) When Jesus had called the twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure all diseases and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and heal the sick. The two scriptures above are a report of the same event. The pattern for future ministry was initiated by Jesus himself when he apprenticed his disciples.

Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

In the Old testament I chose the story of the corrupt Gehazi which illustrates the gift of knowledge.  (2 Kings 5:26) But Elisha said to him, “was not my spirit with you when the man got down from his chariot to meet you? Is this the time to take money…..”

In the new Testament I found a good example of knowledge in action in (Acts 5:3) Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land?

On 7/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

a. Yes, because he came as an example to show us how to live by the Spirit of God and the use of spiritual gifts.

b. Yes we can pattern our ministry after His example.  if we are born of the Spirit of God, he has as given us spiritual gifts and shown us how and when to use them.

c. O. T. The story of Naaman - when Elisha sent him a messenger, who said, “Go and wash yourself seven times in the Jordan, and your flesh will be restored, and you will be clean.”  

d. N.T.: We see the word of knowledge in Jesus' ministry in his encounter with the Samaritan woman at the well. He told her, "You are right when you say you have no husband. The fact is, you have had five husbands, and the man you now have is not your husband." (John 4:17-18)

Q1. 
Or was He so different than we are, that we can't pattern our ministry after His example? 
Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? 
In the New Testament?

Yes, I would think we can use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts. It is the same Holy Spirit that gave Jesus His spiritual gifts that also gives us these gifts. However, we must remember Jesus is perfect in all ways and while here on earth we struggle for perfection, and it will only be achieved in heaven. Gal 5:17 reads: “For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.” The flesh wants one thing and the Spirit wants another. The Holy Spirit controls and distributes all the gifts. Some are common to most of us, but some such as healing are only given to a select few. Unlike Jesus, some of our gifts are developed over a period of time, as we walk and work in faith and obedience. For example, preaching and teaching develop with maturity. All our spiritual gifts are to be used to glorify Christ – most definitely not to glorify ourselves. The spiritual gift of knowledge gives the believer a supernatural ability to discover, accumulate, and analyse information regarding the growth and well-being of the body of Christ. In the OT, Moses warned the people of Israel about obeying the Lord their God, and passed on the knowledge he received during the struggle in the wilderness. Scripture tells us that knowledge is a gift from God (Prov 2:6), and that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge (Ps 1:7). In the NT, Rom 11:33 tells us about the knowledge of God: “He knows everything: everything possible, everything actual; all events, all creatures, of the past, the present, and the future” (AW Pink). In 2 Pet 3:18 we are told to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. This means we are to increase our study and obedience to His Word, His Works, and His Ways. “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen.” Holy Spirit, I praise You as God who lives in me - the Spirit of truth who comes to make the truth known to me. Thank You that You are not only present in my life every day, but that You are at work renewing me so that I become more and more like Jesus - and that, one day, all the fruit of Your Spirit will be clearly visible in my life. 

On 7/23/2018 at 12:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Absolutely it is alright to use Jesus Christ as an example, He is the perfect example. He had all of the spiritual gifts and never failed at doing anything.  We should try to be more like Jesus, even though we will never be as Holy as He is as the only begotten Son of God.  God in the Old Testament is showing His Devine knowledge throughout the entire Old Testament.  He chose the people He wanted to be prophets, kings, and wise men.  The gift of knowledge continues in the New Testament as Jesus Christ’s knowledge of God’s is used to ward off the devil.  Then Jesus used His knowledge to minister to the people and to lead them.

Q1. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he different than we are that we can’t pattern our ministry after his example? Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

1a. I believe it’s legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts.

1b. Thank God he was different to the point of being our perfect example, that He left patterns for us to emulate his ministry.

1c. The word of knowledge in the Old Testament Gen 1513-14 God reveal to Abraham about Israel’s future captivity and deliverance from Egypt.

1d. Word of knowledge in the New Testament when Jesus met the woman at the well

It is essential that we use our Lord as our template in every area of life.

Sometimes it is difficult to decide what is prophecy and what is a word of wisdom.  Isaiah 53 is clearly prophecy as is  Isaiah 66 vs 6 to 9. Jesus in Genesis 17 v 16 is giving a word of knowledge in announcing the birth of Isaac, and also in Matthew 17 v 25, when he knew all about Peter's confrontation with the Temple tax collectors.  Peter himself was given the word of wisdom in Matthew 16 v 16 when he declared that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God.  Which was it when Elisha anointed  Hazael to be king over Syria, then wept because of the harm that he would do to Israel.?(2 Kings 8 v 1).

It is explicit in Acts 10 v 19 and 20, as it says that the Spirit told Peter that three men were looking for him and that he should go with them.

What of Daniel when he explained the dream of future empires in Daniel 2 v 31 to 45 ?.  Was Joseph operating in revealed knowledge or prophecy when he foretold the death of the baker and the salvation of the cup-bearer -Genesis 40 v 12 to 19.

I don't think it really matters. We should delight in any and every revelation.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example not only in the use of spiritual gifts but in every area of our life, because Jesus said he is the Way, the Truth and the Life and he has asked us to follow him.  Only when we pattern our ministry after the example of Jesus shall we bear fruit and see results and have success.  We have to build our house on Jesus the rock.

The gift of knowledge in the old Testament can be seen the lives or every prophet God raised.

In the new testament we see it in the life of John when he was in Patmos.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:49 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1a. I believe it is. Jesus was fully man and fully God, but limited his words and actions to his man-hood in total dependence upon His Father's guidance, wisdom and knowledge and power imparted to Him by the Holy Spirit. This is the way we are to live...totally dependent upon our Father just as Jesus did. In this way He will manifest the particular gifts He's given us as we walk and talk and live for Him, to His glory and honor.

b. Jesus was different  in the fact that He was born of a virgin and did not have the fallen nature that we have. But He functioned in the same limitations which we have... His flesh/ humanity submitted to His Father's will at all times. He was tempted in every way that we are, but without sin, and was totally obedient to His Father every moment of His life.

c. In the Old Testament, a few examples of the gift of Knowledge are: Moses telling Pharaoh  what was going to happen each time he hardened his heart, refusing to let God's people go. Elijah comes to mind....telling King Ahaz that it would not rain for 3 years in I Kings 17....the spies in Joshua 2 told Rahab to bind a scarlet cord in her window and bring her father, mother, brothers, and all her father's household into her house and they would all be spared when Jericho fell... Moses was told the people had fallen into idolatry while he was on the mountain with God receiving the Commandments...Elijah told the woman in Zarephath to gather jars from neighbors and the Lord would fill them with oil, in 2 Kings 4. In 2 Kings 5 Elisha told his servant Gehazi that "by his spirit" he knew he'd gone after Naaman to manipulate getting some money, who then lied and Gehazi became leprous as Naaman had been. 

d. In the New Testament, again, so many examples. Joseph being told not to be afraid to take Mary as his wife, and again, Joseph was told that Herod would attempt to kill Jesus, so to flee to Egypt in Matthew 2 and again in Egypt, that Herod was dead and it was safe to return to Israel. Jesus was speaking words of knowledge daily to His disciples. He spoke of the destruction of Jerusalem, His own death and resurrection, where to go to find a colt tied up to use in the triumphal ride into Jerusalem....and every book in the New Testament is filled with examples. Because Jesus limited His knowledge in the same way that we are, He relied on His Father's knowledge to interpret scripture, the times in which He was living, how to answer the trick and hard questions....I think most of what He spoke was the gift of Knowledge.

• 1 month later...

Yes it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of the spiritual gifts. I can’t think of a better example. Jesus was fully man and fully God so since he was fully man we should be trying to pattern our ministry after his example. Samuel was a perfect example of the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament and in the New Testament it was Jesus.

Q1.

Q. Is it legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts? Or was he so different than we are that we can't pattern our ministry after his example?

A. Yes, it is legitimate because we are His disciples that He promised that we could do all that He did and even more by the power of the Holy Spirit, His Spirit.

Q. Where do you see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament? In the New Testament?

A. In the Old Testament, I see the gift of knowledge from Abraham when confronted by Isaac on where the lamb for the sacrifice would be found as there was firewood and fire but no lamb. He assured Isaac that God would provide the lamb for the sacrifice and God did exactly that.

In the New Testament Jesus Himself, use the words of wisdom when He told the mob of the Pharisees who wanted to stone the woman caught in adultery that any one that was without sin should throw the first stone. No one dared to do so because no one was without sin that could also lead to being stoned.

• 1 month later...

Jesus operated in all the spiritual gifts. He’s the perfect example that we have in the scriptures and He operated in those gifts as a Man and not as God. God does not need to use gifts because He’s omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent. Jesus operated in those gifts through the Holy Spirit who was resident in Him in all fullness. We also can live our Christian life through the Holy Spirit who empowers us and enables us to have a victorious Christian walk. The difference in Jesus and us is that throughout His life on earth, He lived victoriously, whereas we succumb to sin often, even though Holy Spirit resides in us. So Jesus is the best example for us to emulate from, not only to have a victorious Christian walk, but also to pattern our ministry after His example. Jesus Himself said, that His disciples would do greater things than He did, because of the promise of the Holy Spirit who would be sent to them after He returned to the Father.

There are many instances where we see these gifts in operation both in the Old Testament and in the New Testament. Some examples in Old Testament would be these. When Isaac asked where is the lamb for the burn offering, Abraham said the Lord will provide. But there they found a ram and not a lamb. So Abraham was pointing to the day when the Lamb of God, which the Lord provided would be seen on Mount Moriah. Jesus in John’s gospel says, your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day. So Abraham was prophetically speaking to Isaac because of the gift of knowledge that operated in him. Then we see Moses warning Pharaoh of the plagues. Rahab, by faith, declaring that God has given them the victory. Elisha knowing that Gehazi accepted the gifts from Namaan.

In the New Testament, we see Jesus telling Nathaniel that He had seen him sitting under the fig tree before Philip spoke to him. He told the Samaritan woman that she had five husbands and that the one with whom she was living then was not her husband. Jesus perceived the thoughts of the religious leaders. He knew when the disciples were arguing among themselves as to who was the greatest. Peter and john perceived that the lame man was in need and ready for his healing. Paul saying that there would not be shipwreck in spite of the deadly storm.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:49 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts because both fully God and fully man so we can pattern our ministry after Him since all the miracles He did on Earth were done through God the Father. 

We can see the gift of knowledge in the Old Testament when Elisha told Namaan to wash himself in the Jordan seven times and he was miraculously healed.

We can see the gift of knowledge in the New Testament when the Sadducees came to Jesus with the question about the seven brothers and the wife and Jesus answered them with a question. Jesus also knew what was in the hearts of people when Mary washed his feet.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it is legitimate to use Jesus as our example in the use of spiritual gifts as He was full of Spirit and anointed with Spirit of wisdom and knowledge (Is11:2). 

example of Gift of knowledge in OT : there are many instances however for this question will refer to 1 Samuel :9 -  when in search of his father’s (Kish) *****, Saul comes to prophet Samuel. God gives in advance knowledge about Saul who would be the King of Israel to the prophet and also later prophet mentions to Saul that ***** that were lost three days are already found.

Example of gift of knowledge in NT : Jesus was anointed with Spirit and operated in these gifts through out His ministry. One of the many example is during last supper Jesus know He will be betrayed and mentions about this during the last supper. For He knew exactly that Judas was that man.