JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Predestination

• 1 month later...
Q3. (Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15) How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination? 
God's grace is a gift of redemption offered to all of humankind out of his great love. Predestination (especially according to Calvinists) seems to suggest that God has called only some of us to be saved. This is clearly a paradox. Why would God offer everybody something but only allow some people to accept it? I think the answer is simple: there are aspects to predestination that our limited brains just can't grasp. It may seem like a paradox to us but that just means that there's something about predestination that only God, in his infinite wisdom, can fathom. We should concern ourselves with the knowledge that God offers everybody his grace and therefore we should bring the good news to everybody Jesus leads us to.

I personally believe that God has destined all of us for salvation—it's our choice that determines whether we accept or reject that destiny. The common argument about predestination may therefore be problematic only because of our definition of the concept of predestination.

How might a belief in predestination make us lazy with regard to evangelism? Does God "need" us to bring salvation to the world?
When we use 'if God wants something done he'll manage it with or without me' as an excuse not to do something we've fallen into a trap of ignorance and laziness. 

God doesn't need us. But think back to the book of Esther. God saved the Jews from the wickedness of Haman by putting Esther and Mordecai in the right place at the right time. God's will was done because Esther and Mordecai did what they were supposed to. What would have happened if Esther had refused? Mordecai told her himself. "If you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish."

God's Will will be done with or without us. The difference is simply this: if we accept God's call then we have acted out of love and obedience and our relationship with him grows. If we reject his call somebody else will take our place but we would have acted with disloyalty and ingratitude.

Q3. (Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15) How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination? 

This is perhaps one of the most debatable topic; I believe my answer will be convoluted, so in the simplest means. I believe at creation God’s pure grace aligns with His perfect will. He predestined mankind to live eternally in His presence, that was His desire. Because He is All-Knowing as He gave mankind the power of choice, he desired mankind to choose life with Him. As life continues unto today His will remains that none should parish eternally (2nd Peter 3:9, Ezekiel 33:11); because He is love, He continues to extend the call unto salvation. With the power of choice He gives those that respond to His call will be saved as it has been deemed since before the foundations of the earth (Ephesians 1:4, 2nd Timothy 1:9; 1st Peter 1:20).

God uses methods that ere consistent with His truth and His righteousness. He demonstrated before the inhabitants of heaven and all the worlds He’s just, His government is just, His law perfect. In a sense He (God) extends mercy. Just as we have the power to choose, the power of choice so did Satan. God did not step outside His character to make what He created to conform, He allowed the choice/decision to bear it fruit (consequence). Satan choose to remain in a state of rebellion.

Via God’s gift of Grace, His gift of Free will we have the power of choice/ freedom of choice to trust & obey and/or to distrust & disobey. (Romans 8:28-30)

How might a belief in predestination make us lazy with regard to evangelism?

Lazy in the sense of not being an active witness – some may foster with flawed reason, if God has already chosen who will or won’t be saved, then there isn’t a need to evangelize!

Some may choose not to answer the charge/call to actively witness even though they believe they are letting their lights shine.

Some may believe there isn’t a need to do anything; God Himself is His witness, He will witness unto the masses.

Some may foster the damaging belief of double predestination, (some are predestined to life and salvation and others predestined to condemnation), regardless of his/her sharing the Good News God has already chosen who will enter into the kingdom today and tomorrow.

I love something I heard years ago: “God’s sovereignty is a comfort in evangelism

Believers must never underestimate the importance of our role in active evangelism; nor should the Believer we overestimate his/her role in evangelism i.e. he/she saved someone.  The Believer is to bear witness, to preach and teach of His (God’s) goodness. The Believer is to provide the outward call; but God alone has the power to call a person to Himself inwardly. The Believer is to serve as the Lord empowers; the gift given at Pentecost was not given only to the Apostles of that day, the gift given unto us is not solely for demonstration within the four walls of a facility, nor for our comfort or edification alone. His purpose throughout the Book of Acts merits likeness today, tomorrow until He returns. Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

Does God "need" us to bring salvation to the world?

I believe God chose us (mankind) as a means to reflect His image, in doing so, those that are willing will be His voice in action, His hands and feet in the earth. Those that are willing will live beacon lives ushers other unto His salvation.  

On 8/28/2019 at 10:30 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15) How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination? How might a belief in predestination make us lazy with regard to evangelism? Does God "need" us to bring salvation to the world?

1. Ephesians 1:4 tells us that before the foundation of the world, God chose us, picked us out to be His own, and John 17 tells us that in God's foreknowledge He gave us to Jesus as His love gift....and that in the fullness of time,  Holy spirit woos us and introduces us to Jesus, and those who say Yes, Jesus gives back to His Father as His love gift. .....our response is to "choose to be chosen." Pure grace is His plan and gift to each one who says Yes to His call, regardless of how evil and vile the life has been. Everyone has a choice...that is also a gift of grace, also, everyone is given the opportunity to hear the Gospel. That too is pure grace, even knowing that the majority will choose their own lives apart from His love and mercy. (I love that the Trinity is involved from start to finish in salvation,  we just carry the message, and He does "the saving".)

2. There is one denomination who teaches that "if someone is going to be saved, they will be, so no point in sharing the Gospel". The problem with that thinking is that we don't know who will say yes. It's my belief that we may share with many who will say no, but later may think about it and say yes. We are called to "sow the seed, in season and out of season" wherever we have opportunity! Those who permanently reject Jesus' gift of eternal life, will be judged on that basis at the judgement, and will not be able to say "I didn't know" or "I never heard the Gospel". God is a Just and loving Father!

3. I would say yes, in that angels are not assigned to share the Gospel....so "we're it"  How else will they hear if we're not sent? If one chooses to disobey and not share, He will send someone else...or maybe several. One may hear the Gospel on T.V. or radio, but the person presenting the message has been obedient. (I'm remembering a time when I was watching Christian T.V. and the refrigerator repairman came...as he worked on the  freezer, he heard the gospel, and then asked me to explain it more thoroughly to him, with my testimony of how my life has been changed, forgiven and healed.) God is creative in giving every individual, in his/her own language and ability to understand, the opportunity to hear and receive Jesus or the freedom to say no and choose eternity in hell.

God offered us salvation through His Son Jesus through our faith in Him. The grace of God therefore is a favor to us who were sinners now being saved. Salvation is God's free gift to all those who believe in Him.

I believe that God has chosen or predestined those who will be granted this grace. Yet He freely calls everyone to hear the Gospel of salvation but it's left to each individual to accept this grace or not. 

A wrong idea about predestination may cause us to be lazy concerning evangelism as we may leave everything to God and do nothing at all. We need to be sensitive to the leading of Gods Holy Spirit and pray and reach out to those He sends our way and allow God to do the rescue work .We have to be the obedient servants by doing whatever He tells us to do.Pray,fast and reach out. God will answer .

Yes .God needs us as His disciples to go out and teach and preach to the lost world to bring salvation to the world. God used Paul powerfully to bring salvation to the Gentiles.Likewise He will use us if we are passionate about Him and concerned about the lost souls.

Finally I feel God is Sovereign. He will work in mysterious ways we dint understand.  He loves everyone and has sent His precious  Son to save us. How each one responds is their free will to chose Him or not. We have to work zealously in the Lords vineyard as Paul and God will reward our labor by granting salvation to those we reached out.

Predesitnation deals with the foreknowledge of God, His omniscience.  Pre-determinism says God predeterines who goes to heaven and who goes to hell without man's choice.  However, God gave man free will to receive Him or reject Him and His offer of salvation.  God calls us to warn the wicked.  Jesus gives us the Great Commission.  If "whosoever will may come" were not true, there would be no reason to evangelize.  "No one comes to the Father except the Spirit draws him" is coupled with the preaching and teaching of the gospel.  We depend upon the Spirit of God while we witness.  God has done everything possible to make salvation clear but does not violate the free will He has given to man.  We have the mandate and privilege of bringing the good news of salvation to the world.  It is urgent.  This also gives us purpose and meaning in life.  We have a mission in which to be involved which is worthy of our lives regardless of our vocation.  Christians are needed in every vocation to spread the gospel.  I admit I don't fully understand, "and if you do not warn the wicked of their way, I will require their blood at your hand".  My goal is to share Christ with every person I meet in some way.  It might be a 10 seconds or much longer, but any conversation is an opportunity to transition to the to gospel without being rude.  This is why our testimonies are so important.  I can inject pieces of my testimony at any moment into a conversation.  Since I'm 11, receiving Christ, I have also gone door to door placing gospel material into people's hands or leaving it at the door.  The burden of so many lost is HUGE, yet, I lay it over on the Lord and I take my privilege as an ambassador of Christ seriously.

Acts 13: 48 means that God has appointed and provided eternal life for all who will believe. Ephesians 2:1-10 covers the believer’s life before one’s life without Christ v.1-3; One’s conversion (Part 1): the work of God’s Mercy v. 4-7; their conversion (Part 2): the work of Gods Grace-Salvation 8-10

It makes believes lazy when we leave salvation up to predestination. Christ has  commanded us to “19  Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20  teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. Matthew 28:19-20 (NKJV)

Yes, according to the above scripture Matthew 28:19-10. I believe that God want us to be obedient , we are to go,say and do what He will have us do. His Holy Spirit dwell within the believer. We are His disciple yet knowing we plant but He is the only one to save.  "8  For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,9  not of works, lest anyone should boast.   Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV  I would like to add John 15:3-5

Understanding of God’s pure grace fits together with the idea of predestination because it is God that calls us to his side. It is up to us to accept that calling. So it by grace that we have been saved. I can see how the belief in predestination makes us lazy with regard to evangelism but we are God’s tool to help make disciples. It is God that puts it on our hearts to evangelize. No, God does not “need” us to bring salvation to the world but he and given us the privilege of doing so.

Q3. (Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15)

Q. How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination?

A. We are saved by grace and not  by merit but God has called us ie decided that we would be saved by His own initiation and will.

Q. How might a belief in predestination make us lazy with regard to evangelism?

A. It will make us to do nothing at all and just wait for God to bring souls to be saved

Q. Does God "need" us to bring salvation to the world?

A. He does not need us as He can do everything He wants without us. However, in His sovereignty, He has given us the privilege to partner with Him to bring souls to be saved.

Q3. (Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15) How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination? That is a mystery of God. As God is all knowing and powerful, it is only right to think He already knows who will answer His call and who will not. At the same time we know and experience His undeserving and unearned grace. It is between these two entities that we trust Him through in Jesus Christ who has paid and worked out Salvation for us.

How might a belief in predestination make us lazy with regard to evangelism? When we try on our own strength and get disappointed, even angry at God. We tell God how much we are trying to do work for His and that He is not coming along side us. When there is disillusion in our minds and lies. And when we allow it to happen, that may lead one to a lazy place and we righteously tend to think, God is making a mistake. Also the thought that God knows everything can make us lazy, since He knows He might as well do it Himself.

Does God "need" us to bring salvation to the world? Yes and No. Yes, because that is what we are called to do so as disciples of Christ. No, when it comes to doing things our way and according to our will. Bringing salvation to the world goes beyond our needs and desire to satisfy God’s needs. It is about our willingness to trust to stay with the Lord in all this. It is to dwell in Him, being focused in Him and at the same time enjoying the excitement of Him and not the excitement that come because of him.

Q3. (Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15) How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination? How might a belief in predestination make us lazy with regard to evangelism? Does God "need" us to bring salvation to the world?

To put it in the simplest terms I can come up with, God extends his gracious gift of salvation to all who will accept it, but concerning predestination, there exists a unique calling for all who answer the call of salvation.

To think of predestination in terms of only certain people being called, knowing that no one comes to Christ except through the Father and visa-versa one could easily be caught up in the thought that since God is the one who does it all, no sense to get in the way, let God do His own work.  

God does not “need” us in the sense of the word to reach people. After all, He approached Abraham, an idol worshipper without man’s help. One thing is for sure though, at-least I believe that if you do not want to approach someone over the subject of salvation, He will just send someone else. That, of course is no excuse to be lazy. Consequences could be eternal, even if you make it into God’s kingdom. Could possibly be missing out on something better, or even just in this life.

LESSON 4 Q3

a.  I really don't know how to answer this question. How do I reconcile predestination with  Jesus' quote many are called but few are chosen? The subject of predestination is too deep for me.

b. If we believe that God has predestined only certain people to be saved then we may see evangelizing as unnecessary and think we have no role to play in pointing people to Christ.

c. God doesn't need anyone to do anything - He is God!  But God chooses to partner with us in pointing people to the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  God sent His Son for a brief time on earth and now we have been left behind to tell others about Jesus.  The church is now God's mouthpiece to tell others about His Son.  God will not come off His throne and say Serve My Son.  

I don't believe that it does. Predestination says that God grace (salvation) goes those He has chosen but Romans 10:13 says: "Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." That God chooses all and His grace is for everyone.

If we believe that God chooses those who are to be saved or unsaved, we could begin to think: what difference does it make to take the message of Christ into the world. That God has already predetermined the outcome, whether we evangelize or not.

God  has called us to take the message of Christ (salvation) to the world. God will take care of the salvation part. It is a divine miracle (and mystery) of God when a person goes from a life of darkness into His glorious light. From unbelief to belief. Praise God!!

Q3. (Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15) 
How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination? 

God came in Christ to reconcile us to Himself by grace. We did nothing – it is all God’s work. All we deserved was God’s wrath, but yet in His great mercy He chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world. By His grace and love He predestined us for adoption as His children. We will never fully understand the doctrine of predestination. The reason being that God’s understanding is infinite, whereas ours is finite. 
We might think not act at all, and say that we are waiting for God to act; this would just be a lazy excuse to do nothing. It is for us to act. The doctrine of predestination does not encourage us to sit back and do nothing. It is up to us to trust Him and to act responsibly. In 2 Tim 2:10 Paul said “I endure everything for the sake of the elect”. The fact that God has chosen some to be saved does not mean that nothing has to be done. They still have to hear the gospel, so that God’s eternal plans might come about. 
God never “needs” us, rather He uses us to bring salvation to the world. God is the One who sends. We are the ones who are sent. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Its nothing we have done to earn salvation, only God's Grace that saves and it  is..... to whosoever Believes and calls upon the name of the Lord.

2. It would make us lazy in regard to Evangelism thinking that God controls everything.  He has given us a free will and we choose.  We can just pray for people to get saved, but what really works is being in partnership with Him and preach the Gospel. The Holy Spirit leads and guides us.  We are to be in close fellowship with the Holy Spirit to hear from God.  We preach the Gospel, people respond or don't respond.  Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” 14How then can they call on the One in whom they have not believed? And how can they believe in the One of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone to preach? 15And how can they preach unless they are sent? Rom. 10:13-15

3. Jesus Saves. But, now that we have His Holy Spirit, we are His hands and feet and he uses us to proclaim the message of the Gospel.

God alone knows who will be drawn to Him and which ones will come. He knows there are some who will refuse and it is up to us to tell them the good news. But it is the Holy Spirit who draws people to God. 

A belief in predestination might make us think we have nothing to do. That God will work on people and that He doesn't need our help. That we don't have to tell anyone about Him or even live for Him the way we should. It might cause us to be less diligent in our walk with the Lord; because we think we don't have to worry about appearances or living right. 

God does not need us to bring salvation to the world He can do it Himself. But He wants us to be a part of His kingdom and share in the harvest. He wants us to have something to give back to Him.  God can do anything but He would rather we take part in the harvest and do it because we love Him and want to be obedient. He wants to be in fellowship with us and work with us to bring others into the kingdom.

God's grace fits together with predestination by choosing those who will come to know Him. For it is by grace through faith that we are saved not works lest any man should boast. Eph 2:8-9 With that as a starter this means God's grace draws us and all other people to Him however we have free will to either reject Him or choose Him. Those who reject Him do so at their own peril for they were told about God and still chose darkness over light and sin over righteousness. They chose to reject Him knowing that they would go to hell. Those who choose Him do so because God drew them. It would make us lazy thinking that all the work is God's job when in truth that's not the case. Paul explained that one plants the seeds, another waters it and God gives the increase in it. Yes the way Paul talked about it and Jesus talked about it he does.

• 2 weeks later...

We must take God’s great message of salvation to others so that they can respond to the Good News. The only way our loved ones and neighbors hear it unless someone tells them? God calling us to take a part in making his message known in our communities? When you think of a person who needs to hear the Good News, think of something you can do to help him or her hear it.

Paul said Christians must not be disappointed. There will be times when people will let you down or circumstances take a turn for the worse. Paul is saying that God will keep his side of the bargain: Those who call on him will be saved. God will never fail to provide for those who believe.

On 8/28/2019 at 12:30 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

I believe that everyone is predestined to be with the Lord, but few accept the Lords calling. Many refuse the call and decide to live in the world of sin. Those accepting his calling are given his free gift of grace and salvation.

This belief in predestination is not to be taken lightly, we are not to become lazy because of this condition. We are to work for the Kingdom of the Lord and share our belief with those of the world to bring them into the salvation of the Lord.

God does not need to bring this salvation to the world, but because he loves us he offers us his grace and salvation. We were created in his image, thus to give him praise and glory, for he first loved us before we knew him.     

• 4 weeks later...

God wishes all men to be saved.   His grace is available for all.   And yet, he also knows, (for he is all-knowing) that some will resist His call.  The Holy Spirit will prompt men, but, in His wisdom, God gave men free will.  So they are able to choose whether to accept the call or not.

We may feel that, because salvation (or the non-acceptance of it) is predestined, there is nothing that we need to do, nothing that we can do, to change what is to happen.  This is quite wrong, because we must be obedient to the prompting of the Holy Spirit if he chooses to make us instruments of evangelism.

God is self-sufficient.  He does not "need" us in the same way as we need Him.   He is in charge of finding the right labourers to bring in the harvest, and our only duty is to hear His voice and obey

• 2 years later...

Acts 13:48; Romans 10:13-15) How does an understanding of God's pure grace fit together with the idea of predestination?

Here we only understand partly. We have been given a commission and I guess that joins in with sharing Gods grace which is for everyone. It is freely given to all. To be accepted by faith by those who believe when they hear. 

Very easy the conclusion is reached that whoever is on the predestination list will be saved anyway so I don't need to share the Good News of salvation with anyone. This then makes one share nothing. 

God chooses to use us as His arm extended to reach the lost. He allows us this privilege to bring the Good News to whoever is willing to accept it. All the time it is still grace and only grace that enables salvation through faith. 

• 1 year later...

I do not know how grace and predestination fit together.  

Predestination is a comfort for those who are secure in their faith for it gives them a sense of calling and purpose. God wouldn't not have predestined them unless He had a reason for them to exist. If God calls some people and not others, then there's not a lot one can do to be saved or help others be saved.

I have heard people say that we were created because God is love and needed someone to love Him back. To me, that's ridiculous. I also don't think God "needs" anything from us, including our love. There have been stories of people suddenly brought to faith by some sort of happening or whatever, but most of us learn about Jesus via word of mouth. So, to answer the question directly -- God does not need us to bring salvation to the world.