JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

3. House

Pastor Ralph

Day 3 Meditation (Psalm 122). Why do people desert the house of God in our day? Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people? How can you pray for the peace of God’s house? What can you do to “seek the good” of God’s house?

• 1 month later...

Why do people desert the house of God in our day? Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people? How can you pray for the peace of God’s house? What can you do to “seek the good” of God’s house?

Jesus declared, "Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. ... God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth." John 4....

https://youtu.be/Jgdbx-5PDuA

I think that the reason that the people have deserted the house of God in our day is because they are too busy and they don’t have God as there number one priority. They also think that they can master anything on their own and don’t need help of others. We can ask God to protect our churches. Not only can we “seek the good” of God house but we can support it with our spiritual gifts and with our offerings.

Unfortunately today people don’t realise the importance of putting God first in their lives. People do not see their need for God and much less their need to be part of a church.

Many don’t know the bible and it’s teachings and therefore don’t understand the concept of being a part of a body , where we suffer when any part of the body is suffering and we rejoice when any part of the body is rejoicing.

As Christians we must show God’s love to everybody in every situation. We never know just what influence we may have. In our conversation we should be so overflowing with the love of Jesus that we speak naturally about  Him and His church. 
Our lives need to be focused at all times on God and prayer so people will be drawn to us and our church.

It's Sad that so many desert the house of God in our day and time due to a love loss for God and the things of God. There is so much pulling at people as well from the world the things that it has to offer is more impressive to them so they have put God on the back burner until they need His help. Therefore they put their desires and agendas before him.

Some believe that the can do it on their own and grow and become spiritual giants in the things of God without being taught truth from God's Word by their Pastor/Church and so go there on way without accurate understanding. 

I can pray that God's people will never lose their love, zeal, hunger and a deep desire for a relationship and fellowship with God and that we as His children will walk in the light and reflect His love and peace so other will witness our love and they be drawn to God.

I can seek the good by allowing God to be seen in me to be a blessing to others.

Today, people have become so sure in their own abiity to learn and grow in the Lord, that they have stopped going to God's house. but we do need the examples of Christian and we need to hear His word. Today, in the midst of the great pandemic, we are not allowed to gather in our churches. Now would be a wonderful time for Christians to humble ourselves, and seek His face. He promised to heal our land, Lord please heal our land. WE need to support the church with our tithes and offerings.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:17 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 3 Meditation (Psalm 122). Why do people desert the house of God in our day? Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people? How can you pray for the peace of God’s house? What can you do to “seek the good” of God’s house?

Hebrews 10:25. Not forsaking the assembling: This admonition involves far more than erratic attendance. It involves the entire worship of Christ and it is an outward indication of an inner condition. The assembling of God's people provides opportunity for reciprocal encouragement, strengthening, and the stirring up that can be gained from one another (Col 3:12 -16). it consist of participation in worship and fellowship. The church is a body interacting ( 1 Cor. 12: 14-27); it is not merely a dispensary of spiritual food and medicine. So I think the reason why people desert the house of God in our day is because they does not know the importance of fellowship and the worship of God, and also teaching, they are legit things that can prevent one from assembling, such as sickness.  Also no individual can mature in Christ by themselves because Christ church is a body of which He is the head, if we refuse to gather with our brethren, in reality, refused to gather with Jesus, and walking in darkness. If we say that we have fellowship, with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not  practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. We can ask God to bless His house and ask Him to help us to live peaceable with all men especially those of the household of faith. to seek the good of God's house,  is to love God with our whole being and to love our neighbor as our selves.

Edited by Isaac1
Forgot to put a check mark on sending me the post.

While I could put "moral relativism" here, I think it is more than that. Jesus told us retention would have to do with the properties of the soil and the environs to which His words were sewn. I believe that has to be the bigger threat to people who have received the word and are now looking elsewhere. The cares of the world are rather significant and affect us directly. If we can be lured or pushed into a state of fear, it becomes much more easy to lean on humankind for the answers. Look as they will, those who do rely on man, their answers will not come until they go back and immerse themselves in the Word of the Lord and put the cares of the world on the back burner, where they belong.

Many years ago, I became angry at the church I was attending. I remember feeling deeply hurt & stopped going to "any" church. I regret to say, I also turned my back on God. But He never turned His back on me. Now Jesus Christ is the center of my life . 

Perhaps many Christians believe they are on solid ground with Jesus when they may actually be standing on a cracked foundation. I have found that when I submit to God's will, He puts people in my life to help, guide, nurture & challenge me to grow and mature in my Christian faith.

I can be an example of Christian love, overlooking the flaws of others while trying to correct my own. I can pray for God's influence in our gatherings and concentrate on gratitude & praise to our Holy Father.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. Why do people desert the house of God in our day?

I think there are many reasons! There are 2 generations now in America who are unchurched....that started years go when children's sports activities were scheduled on Sunday morning and the subtle attack on Christianity and erosion began. In the schools the curriculum was "scrubbed" of all mentions of God, or Jesus in history, literature, and English. Christmas and Easter programs became "winter Festivals" and "Spring concerts"  Graduation speeches were outlawed if when reviewed for approval, there was any mention on God, Jesus, or faith. The Ten Commandments were no longer allowed to be displayed in classrooms.  Stores formerly closed on Sunday decided that was a big day for shoppers now that church was no longer a priority. Wholesome movies like Lassie, Leave it to Beaver, Father knows Best, were replaced by violent movies and  programs which ridicule religion. Many parents are too distracted and too busy to teach and train, focused instead on what was left undone Monday through Friday while working.....on and on it goes. And at the same time as this erosion was taking place, many churches have eroded into social activism, a watered down gospel, and are no longer places of reverence, miracles, deliverance and healing. The comedian who coined the phrase "the Church of what's happening now" wasn't far wrong regarding many churches, whose main focus is to entertain, serving coffee and donuts to eat during the service, rather than exhorting and teaching. Many wander away from church disillusioned and disappointed as church became irrelevant...and t.v. church is easy to find in the comfort of home in pajamas!

2. Why do so many Christians believe they can mature without the help of Christ's people?

The subtle erosion from virtues of humility and submission, to the "me generation" and the belief that to "get anywhere in life" we must be in control, keep a stiff upper lip, and "get it done" and pride says it's weakness to need or to depend on others, especially if Christ's people are older. So self reliance results in "stunted growth".

3 & 4:  How can you pray for the peace of God's house? 4. What can you do to "seek the good" of God's house?

I believe that revival is the only option for a complete turnaround in our nation, and in our churches. I am praying fervently for revival! It has  been prophesied, and I believe we are on the brink of the huge outpouring of Holy Spirit for such a time as this where billions of souls will be saved and our nation will once again turn to the faith of our fathers.

I think people today have so much access to information, videos, sermons from all over the world right on their screens they don't see the value of community.  I also wonder if it becomes easier to avoid the accountability of a community of believers.  As others have said I also see that Sunday's are filled with activities just as any other day of the week.  And in this era we seem to be very busy especially those with kids in sports and other activities that Sunday is a  second Saturday.

a.  I have been in the same church for 47 yrs. and I have seen people come and go and wondering why they left.  People you build bonds with when we were new Christians and it is so sad.  The Word was being preached and there was no need to go any other place.  Maybe they got offended, change of pastors, change of music style, not getting the teaching they need, under conviction, prayers not answered, all your old friends are gone and there is a totally different atmosphere, discouraged and no one reached out to them, feeling like the lone ranger, too busy, God came down on the priority list, not reading the Word, heart hardening, etc.

b. Maybe because they didn't really feel connected.  We have connect groups in our church and because of Covid we are doing zoom classes on line and finding that sharing our lives through a teaching we are doing on healing is bringing us closer together, building our faith and hearing testimonies of people healed or being healed.  There are some great teachings on line and people are looking for truth and wanting to be fed and grow.  Hopefully they have discernment on what to listen to.  But we need each other and find we are all pretty much all going through the same things, opposition of the enemy , fighting the good fight, etc.  

c. & d. I can pray that people realize how much they need God and cry out to Him for what is really on their heart in truthfulness and be honest about ourselves to Him and watch Him come through to us. Be thankful in everything .  He has given us everything we need to win this battle - His Blood, His Spirit, His Promises, His Name, His Righteousness, His Word, His Armor, His Peace, and so much more.  We Win!  Let your light shine that others can see Christ in you - The Hope of Glory!

Day 3 Meditation (Psalm 122). Why do people desert the house of God in our day? Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people? It's hard for me to say because I am born again only 4 months, and I have never even been a part of any Church. That being said, I can say on observation that people just do not worship God in the way they should. And going to church is an anomaly rather than the norm.  Worshipping is not just the occasional prayer when you need something. It involves having faith in God and His commandments, leaning upon God for your life's needs. To me this requires having a relationship with God, and communicating with Him for His instructions. Learning about your LORD, your God, is vital so one should diligently seek the answers by reading the scriptures, talking to pastors so you can learn to worship Him and walk in His righteous path. I think if you can please God with your faith, devotion and trust, you will be blessed and loved by Him in return.

How can you pray for the peace of God’s house? What can you do to “seek the good” of God’s house? I generally check in with my Most High God, several times a day and if I have any inner conflicts, I pray for the Spirit of peace to calm my tumultuous heart. In that regard, I think I can pray for peace for my neighbors and my country because God's embrace is infinite. Yahweh is a Warrior God, and if His will desires it, He will do everything in His might to bring about peace. I think just being in a nice Church, or Temple for that matter, is the beginning of finding the "good" that is in seeking God.  

Day 3 Meditation (Psalm 122). 
Why do people desert the house of God in our day? 
Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people? 
How can you pray for the peace of God's house? 
What can you do to "seek the good" of God's house? 

Often, we are too busy with worldly things and going to church will interfere with our daily pleasures and become an inconvenience. In the world today there are many distractions that Satan will use to keep us away from church. Also, besides requiring an effort to attend church, we may have unconfessed sin that keeps us away. Or maybe, we have even lost our interest in spiritual affairs and have turned our backs on God and our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. A bad experience with either a church member or even the pastor can drive people away. There is no perfect church and problems should not be driving us away from attending. There has to be an understanding that we are all sinners saved by grace, and one has to overlook certain minor slipups and forgive one another – just as we have been forgiven by our Lord. By not attending church we give up the encouragement and help of other Christians. We are one family and need to gather together to share our faith, to help each other, to strengthen and encourage one another in the Lord. We must be able to pray for the needs of our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. 

On 7/19/2020 at 9:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 3 Meditation (Psalm 122). Why do people desert the house of God in our day? Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people? How can you pray for the peace of God’s house? WhatHow can you pray for the peace of God’s house?  can you do to “seek the good” of God’s house?

It may be that worldly matters and the concept of fitting in with others who believe everything should be scientifically proven to if one is to believe in anything. The word agnostic crops up frequently with the younger generation, though they don't seem to understand it's etymology or its origin of concept. 

Another factor maybe that Christian people are not living what they preach or believe and if a newbie in faith is introduced to faith through someone who does not walk the talk, or others who line up with worldly thinking while visiting church daily; it's not going to go down very well with them. Elders must take into cognisance that the younger generation are a smart and cognitively savvy generation. It's not what one says but what one does that's going to impact their way of thinking.

Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people

Not sure really. Could be a number of factors. Maybe what they conceive as a hypocritcal stance that does not justify pious words. Could be (to their detriment) that their belief does not line up with others and they are right in their perception. It coukd be that they prefer sitting on the fence. 

How can you pray for the peace of God’s house?

First to Understand what the consequences are if one prayers for peace and the ramifications if one does not. Pray daily for harmony and understanding among and between churches and denominations snd all who believe Christ Jesus has died and risen for our salvation. 

What can you do to “seek the good” of God’s house?

Get it right with my own reflection of Christ in every way as I possibly can, so that those who see me live my life may be encouraged to grow in faith. "Preach the gospel at all times. And if necessary, use words." St. Francis of Assisi. Pray and introspect about my life on a daily basis .

People desert the house of God when they have disputes with other believers or the pastor over little things. Instead of trying to resolve their differences or agree to disagree they leave. They leave when something the pastor does upsets them or they don't think he did the right thing or even said the right thing. They desert it when they become disheartened and lose their faith.

People think that all they need is God and His word. They isolate themselves when someone has hurt them. They believe it is easier to be alone than to become hurt again. People think that they can use books or sermons online instead and find groups there. 

I can pray that all Christians will learn to get along with each other. That all of them would follow the example of Jesus. That they would learn to love each other and put others first. That they would be willing to the Holy Spirit.

I can learn not to be so sensitive when others ignore me and learn to forgive them. I can learn to show more interest in them and pray for them.

People desert the house of God in our day for many reasons they consider legitimate.  Some people leave the church citing frivolous excuses such as  the members are not friendly, or somebody talked bad about them.  A lot of people leave because, according to them, there is no "fun" in church.  Many desert the house of God because the 'pastures look greener on the other side'.  Things and money have magnetic powers that some people just can't resist, and so they leave.  

Many Christians believe that they can mature on their own because they know how to pray, and they know and fully understand the word of God, and that there is nothing anyone else can teach them.  They are of the opinion that the Holy Spirit will teach them those things they may not know.  

Instead of complaining to God and others about who is preaching heresies and who is not living right, we can talk to Him about bringing peace and unity in among His people so that we can be salt wherever we are and our light can illuminate our surroundings by the way we live.

We can "seek the good" of God's house by being faithful in everything we do, 'doing it as unto the Lord', having good attitudes, and serving others in love.

What the Scripture says: In the last days people will want messages that tickle their ears...their hearts will grow cold, but the blame cannot ALL go there.  As I have traveled other coutries and even different areas in the USA, various people have been more receptive to the gospel, yet in the "Bible Belt", "everyone is a Christian", YET, the fruit of repentance is NOT there.  People desert God today for the same reasons they forsook God in the past.  The devil has created an atmosphere of pseudo Christianity = I can "believe" - (mental accent) the essentials about God, Jesus, the Bible, and that's good enough...in other words, God created me, cool, and now I ask Him to help me live life the way I want.

Believing the devil's lies plus little or no teaching of God's Word in the home plus liberal theology in churches plus the pull of the worldly and fleshly desires results in worldly thinking about the definition of true Christianity.  Also, the warnings of God are NOT taken seriously due to His love, patience, mercy, and grace.  Many Christians do NOT take seriously God's call to be watchmen on the wall, warning the wicked of their ways.

Praying for the peace of God's house?:  Peace among members so the reality of faith is seen which means praying for reconciliation is members are not unified in God's mission.  

Seek the good of God's house = Give testimony of the honor and privilege of being God's child, the privilege of worship, service, being on mission, speaking well of the church and God's call to total discipleship.

Why do people desert the house of God in our day?

People desert the house of God in our day because the world have more to offer. Whether it be our jobs or sports, our lives are so busy that we forget about God.  Sometimes it may be because we have had a disagreement in the church and leave. 

Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people?

I think it is the times of today.  We have so much advance technology that thru TV and social media people feel that can worship from their homes. What they don't realize is that it does not have the same affect as worshiping among your brothers and sisters.  We straw strength from one another.

How can you pray for the peace of God’s house? What can you do to “seek the good” of God’s house?

We should continue to go to the House of the Lord for worship.  Pray for peace and encourage one another.  Continue to spread the Good News!

I think people desert the house of God because they see too much of the world there.Another reason they don’t attend the church is the lack of love, respect, not enough of The Fruit Of The Spirit. Finally, the pain over looked,  money,being treated as an out casted will definitely keep one from attending church. Many believers think that they don’t need God’s help to mature is (1) I got it.There is away that seemeth right.In other words man sometimes seek wordily wisdom as oppose to The Wisdom of God.

We should always seek The Lord for peace especially for the church ️. After all we should feel and over joyed when we enter into the church. If  can’t have no peace in the church where can I find it?

I always pray that everyone would get on one accord, encourage one another, Study the Word Of God.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

It takes effort and the willingness to suffer w/others. Despite the rewards, obedience does have a cost that some people are not willing to pay.

They misunderstand Jesus' love and devotion to the church. And His plan to help us grow.

Pray for unity and effective living out God"s Word by the power of His Holy Spirit.

Obey and serve God in the context of His church

Day 3 Meditation (Psalm 122). Why do people desert the house of God in our day? Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people? How can you pray for the peace of God's house? What can you do to "seek the good" of God's house?

I believe some people get hurt by others in the church and become discouraged in the faith because of it so they walk away. The young people may become disenchanted because the music is not their style. However the house of God has never been about the music, the pastor or youth pastor or choir but about the Lord and His work. I believe it's because it is how they are raised or taught in their churches but that is not how the church is and what the Word says. I can pray for unity among all believers in the world. I can pray that they all glorify the Lord.

Day 3 Meditation (Psalm 122).

Q. Why do people desert the house of God in our day?

A. Carelessness on our part and satanic negative influence on our corporate worship life style.

Q. Why do so many Christians believe they can mature in Christ without the help of Christ's people?

A. Just ignorance

Q. How can you pray for the peace of God's house?

A. I now do pray oh Lord God Almighty, let there be peace and unity in your house in Jesus Mighty Name

Q. What can you do to "seek the good" of God's house?

A. Pray and encourage the unity and fellowship  of the body of Christ

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:17 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q - Deserting the house of God - ANS - Right now during the COVID pandemic people "staying away" from the house of the Lord has become a poignant issue. In too many cases It becomes a test of people's commitment to the house of the Lord.  Fear has become a controlling factor. It's easier to give In to compromising excuses then to do everything needful to be in the house of the Lord when "in-service" services are allowed. I'm sure there are many people who, when staying home, make every effort to be strong in the Lord, but when there is no fellowship, no "sharpening of iron against iron", it is easy to let our walk with the Lord slide.  

Q - How can we pray for the peace of God's house - ANS -  be disciplined in taking the time to pray.  And be a peace maker in word and action amongst your fellow church goers.  

Q -  Seeking the good of God's house -  ANS -  Most important is to pray for and support your pastor!  Amen to that!