JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

9. Blessings

Pastor Ralph

• 1 month later...

Wonderful teachings this mornings...ALWAYS a TIMELY and TIMELESS message...(all questions answered below)

If you will watch this short video clip it will shed a LOT OF LIGHT  on WHY this is ALWAYS TRUE when it comes

to GOD's WORD..A REVELATION...

The Lord commands

"Stand at the crossroads and look;  
ask for the ancient paths,  
ask where the good way is, 
and walk in it,  
and you will find rest for your souls." (Jeremiah 6:16a)

Prayer

Songs of Ascent (Psalms 120-134), by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Available in PDF, and Kindle formats only US $2.99.

Father, thank you for your blessings. And thank you also for the stormy days that mold us and equip us for your purposes for our lives. Teach us to trust you, so that we won't grasp for blessings, but receive them from your gracious hand, in your own time. In Jesus' name, we pray. Amen.

The meaning of “fear the Lord” is to respect Him and to follow Him and to what we know that the Lord wants us to do. God has blessed me in my life more than I can write down. I like the song of Count your Blessings One by One but there isn’t enough room to spell out all blessings He has poured out on me. He allows remaining struggles to help build and to toughen us up. Faith doesn’t mean that we will have prosperity because I know a lot of poor people that has the faith that sustains them. Prosperity is knowing that you are doing what God wants you to be doing.

On 7/19/2020 at 9:29 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 9 Meditation (Psalm 128). What does it mean to “fear the Lord”? What kinds of blessings has God showered over your life? Why does he allow remaining struggles? Does faith always result in prosperity? How do you define prosperity?

1. To "fear the Lord" is to see Him and interact with Him in healthy AWE with wonderous respect. (Loved learning that years ago, as my dad told me I was to be afraid of Him as he was! What a miserable way to live!)

2. What kinds of blessings has God showered over your life? 

Oh my! Where to start? Too many to recount, so will put them in categories: First, lifting me out of the muck and mire I was wallowing in, and saved me, letting me know I am now His beloved daughter for eternity. (I know a "cracked pot" is best to allow the light to shine forth, but I was a shattered pot). He has been putting me back together, piece by piece, gluing me together with His gentle love. He has removed the fear that filled and surrounded me from infancy, by allowing me to go through scary trials, holding my hand, and demonstrating that He is forever faithful, always present, never distant. Before I knew Him, He knew me and protected me from permanent scars and irreparable damage. When my parents failed to protect and nurture, He always brought at least one neighbor lady, teacher, or friend's mom who filled some of the gap, providing kindness, guidance and even beautiful clothing. He has never failed to surround me with loving and caring friends. He has given me a special family. (Our son arrived 9 months to the day after I asked for a "blonde, blue eyed baby boy" coming made to order, to resemble my side of the family. (Our daughter is brown eyed, darker hair resembling her dad's family, and is beautiful). When we wanted the children to go to Christian school but couldn't afford the cost, we received a small inheritance in the mail. (financial is a huge area: Having been business and home owners with 2 cars and lovely things, we lost all during the 1990 recession, gradually until we would have been homeless but for His intervention through friends, strangers who had never met us, gifts, groceries, insurance, trips...we've never lacked anything. I could go on forever, but His steady, loving Presence, His tender Father's heart, answered prayers, steady guidance, and prophecies to let me know what is coming next through dreams and Rhema words in His word, are what bring the most security and yes, Awesome Wonder,  joy and respect! 

But I can't leave out how He has taught me to not only appreciate His creation, but to be able to live near the ocean, and mountains, surrounded by glorious, breathtaking beauty! I've heard Him chuckle....so I appreciate His sense of humor and that He has blessed me with one. Every day our life is totally dependent upon His generosity, and He never fails to provide everything we need. 

3. Why does He allow remaining struggles?

Probably for many reasons in different lives,  but for me it is to demonstrate His love, and desire for me to grow as I depend upon Him. The struggles keep me eager to wake up and to settle into my cozy nook where He waits for me every morning to share our time together. I've asked Him to keep me close...I never want to wander away (did that once....never again, by His grace!) It is the struggles which initiate and maintain the intimate relationship we have....He's my Daddy, my Papa God. 

4. Does faith always result in prosperity?

If that were true, I could be a ridiculously wealthy woman. (I prayed years ago when asked what I want on my tombstone, and said "I want to be known as a woman of faith who loves people") He has given me the gift of faith, and a prosperity in knowing and loving people of every race and creed. What I enjoy here and will take to Heaven is true prosperity.

5. How do you define prosperity?

I'm prosperous, surrounded by people to love and who love me, and a Father who lets me know He too cherishes  the time we spend together,  more than one Bible translation, good books, enough to eat, a car to get where we need to go (we have a 1995 mazda, which fills that need) a warm place to live (we are thankful for air conditioning too, especially during last weeks 110 degree heat wave). My entire family is either in Heaven or on their way!

Pastor Wilson's Bible studies are one HUGE blessing to help us grow spiritually and have been for a number of years. Thank you Pastor Ralph for your generosity in sharing your love of the Word with such wisdom, skill and grace, with countless disciples around the world!

On 7/19/2020 at 11:29 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 9 Meditation (Psalm 128). What does it mean to “fear the Lord”? What kinds of blessings has God showered over your life? Why does he allow remaining struggles? Does faith always result in prosperity? How do you define prosperity?

I have a healthy respect for God's omnipotence, knowing that at any moment He could strike me down.

My blessings have included a wonderful husband of 40yrs, 2 beautiful children, living abroad and a successful career. But, some devastating trials have resulted in hidden blessings. The disease of alcoholism has left me disabled. The blessing is that now I am sober and can share my experience & be of service to others. My disability has left me in a position of needing to ask for help and being dependent on others. This has given me more patience & gratitude for what I have rather than resentment & bitterness over what I lost.

The ongoing struggles I have now allow me to grow closer to Jesus. I depend on Him and trust in Him. My love for Him grows stronger each day.

Prosperity is so individual to each person. I define it as being successful in life & growing with each new experience. For me it means physical, mental, emotional and spiritual well-being. I don't think faith=prosperity. Believers whose faith is strong may experience failure, poor health, and catastrophic loss. By the same token, evil persons may be very successful with wealth, fame, talent, beauty etc. 

Fear of the Lord means being aware of who God is and showing respect to Him. We can do this by obeying Him and trusting in Him as Our Lord and Saviour. We must be aware of how great, awesome and powerful He is and how insignificant we are! 
God blesses me every day. I have all the basics needs in life , a roof over my head, food on the table., I live in a country not at war and with a moderate climate. I have three healthy children and three grandchildren. I could go on and on. Praise you Lord!

We live in a fallen world and because of that we will have struggles. The struggles are very often the times when God seems closest to us, helping and guiding us through each difficult day. God is also working out His purposes in the world and can use all our struggles to further them. Struggles can teaches us perseverance , perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything.James 1 v4.

Often prosperity is only thought of in terms of financial, but there are many other ways of looking at it. Prosperity does mean flourishing in something but not always in money. When we are walking with the Lord we will prosper, that may not be in material things but will mean in our spiritual lives. We will enjoy the joy of the Lord , and feel His presence and His leading and guiding in our lives. The things of the world will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace. 

Day 9 Meditation (Psalm 128). 
What does it mean to "fear the Lord"? 
What kinds of blessings has God showered over your life? 
Why does He allow remaining struggles? 
Does faith always result in prosperity? 
How do you define prosperity? 

To fear the Lord means to reverence Him and seek to please Him by obeying His Word. It is also the beginning of wisdom and knowledge. The wise thing to do is to repent of one's sins, trust Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour, and then live for Him wholeheartedly. My blessings are too numerous to mention. Briefly, wonderful wife (married 58+ years), family (children, grand-children, great grandchild), good health (82 yo – never been ill in hospital!), work, protection, … Like a good Father, He does discipline me when needed. He allows things to happen that will help me grow spiritually and help me persevere as a Christian. Get me out of my comfort zone if need be. The world looks upon prosperity as financial wellbeing. Lots of things – a big house, a big car, and lots of money in the bank. To me I’m prosperous when I’m having fellowships with my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. I’ve been redeemed, travelling on the narrow way, being sanctified and becoming more and more like Jesus every day. Being prepared for eternity. What a blessing!!! 

What does it mean to “fear the Lord”?

I don't know if fear is the right word. It is respect and holy reverence to the One who gave me life and chose to benefit me with knowing Him.

It's like deeply desiring to please someone you love in every little way. Call it fear if you want. I call it love. 

O Lord, where do I start. Knowing Him is the greatest blessing. Knowing He is real. Knowing He is here, listening to my thoughts, my breath, my moves of my fingers on the keyboard, the hairs on my head - He knows each one.

My parents, my childhood, my brothers, my children, my wife, my job, my home, my animals, the great beauty that surrounds me.

So many stories to share. Confirmation, scholarships, born again, engagement ring, my miracle son, Atitaki, forgiven debt, jobs-jobs-jobs *2, My Prince will Come, mantle,  Caleb, Yarralumla, Nicholls, Forest, Jacobs - God knows each one, for He orchestrated them all!

One story, short version. 

I never imagined I'd live and work where I do now nor enjoy my work and role and life so much, even 3 months ago, certainly not 12 months ago it just wasn't in the picture of my wildest imagination. I thought I was too old (65), there would be no jobs, or if there was one I'd have to take a big pay cut, no jobs that suit my expertise anyway, and I thought the bank wouldn't lend us the money for another home, let double. My wife thought differently - she was right. I got three great job offers from cold calls where there was no ads to apply for in an isolated town of 250,000 people in far north Australia, 2000 miles from where we lived and worked for 40 years, with a 25% increase in pay. Coming from having 3 homes at 55 to be nearly broke and homeless at 60 and to now (last 3 months) to be in the most amazing house and property in the most amazing street at 65 with the best most enjoyable job, I just walk around shaking my head thanking God. And no I did not receive an inheritance or prize; God just brought the right people into my life at the right time and right circumstances.

Its not just the home, its a change in inner peace and joy, its seeing the most remarkable changes in the one I love and adore; the One I love, my Father, my Saviour, my Counsellor, my Healer, doesn't change. I have been praying, studying and journaling for well over 15 years and have seen many ups and downs, but I endured, kept faith in the love of God and one day and another day and another day I was blessed, left shaking my head saying what happened? Just keep praying, keep studying, keep believing, keep serving, keep giving, keep thanking God for every little blessing in your life and then, now and again, He will bless your socks up quickly and unexpectantly. I continue to live in faith and look to let go and let God.

Why does he allow remaining struggles?

It is through struggles that we grow. Having worked through struggles, praying earnestly, to be blessed builds my faith. Our hope is after the storm there is a rainbow.

Yes, but not necessarily the prosperity of the world. The prosperity that comes with knowing God and reverently fearing His Word.

A lot of something good and worthy - peace, love, joy, beauty, lots of cattle from the hill.

On 7/19/2020 at 12:29 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Day 9 Meditation (Psalm 128). What does it mean to “fear the Lord”?  Fear in this case means to revere and honor the LORD. I used to think it was about being terrified of God but apparently "fear" has a different context. It basically means revere the LORD as an almighty and holy being that should be respected and worshipped.  

What kinds of blessings has God showered over your life? I've always considered myself pretty lucky and in the Christian context blessed by God. I was afflicted with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at age 4 which caused severe deformities in my joints and my ability to ambulate. By the time I was 8, I could not walk or bathe myself. Even tho I came from an Asian nation that at the time, wasn't fully developed, I was blessed to have a dad who was educated in America and had the knowledge, wisdom and resources to put me under the care of the world's best pediatric rheumatologists and surgeons. Within months of arriving in the US I had the first of many surgeries and was soon walking independently. Eventually I became fully independent, ambulating and taking care of my personal needs without help from my family. I finished college and grad school and became successful in the field of journalism.

The road to independence was not an easy one; I had over 14 hip and knees surgeries by the time I was 29. Rheumatoid arthritis is also a disease of chronic pain so coupled with all the surgeries and some complications, I would say a good portion of my life has been spent in pain and recovery. Even though my life has been one of hardship and many struggles, I always realized that I was blessed and lucky because not only did I have access to some of the best medical care in the world, I had a dad who made sure that I received the same level of education as my brothers. 

When I think back on it, it was God's hand that led my dad to the doctors I needed. It was His leading that helped my dad find us a perfect home in NY. Even though I didn't realize it at the time, it was always God's plan that I achieve great things in my life through the hardships I endured, and the understanding I gained as a result of it. My blessings came in small increments, over the course of my life, but I think this is what makes someone an anointed child of God.   

Why does he allow remaining struggles? I think one's ability to overcome the struggles and barriers to achieve success will yield greater favor from God. He sees your challenges and takes pride in you when you're able to rise above it. 

Does faith always result in prosperity? How do you define prosperity? I think having faith in God will result in His favor towards you and your family. Whether that is in financial prosperity or otherwise, it's hard to say. God rewards the righteous and I think Most High God enjoys seeing His favored children prosper. For me personally, prosperity would involve having a home that I could be proud of and be comfortable in, without having to worry about paying the rent on it. In the end, prosperity is about having abundance-- both spiritual and material goods-- without the anxieties.

a.  To fear the Lord means to reverence and respect Him and obey His commands.  He is God Almighty creator of heaven and earth. 

b.  God has bless me with supplying all my needs, He delivered me from a bad marriage and cared and provided for me being a single parent.   I have had  a good and long life,  He has heaIed my body numerous time and protected me and I have peace and contentment.

c.  When we have struggles they cause us to trust in and lean on the Lord and that is how we grow.  Hardships and a good attitude build character in us. It is good for me that I have been afflicted; that I might learn thy statutes. (Psalm 119:71)

d.& e. Faith in God brings prosperity in many ways.  Believing God brings His blessings to me.....That is Prosperity.  Not necessarily money, but growth, healing, provision, peace, protection, His presence, and so much more.

It means having a healthy respect for God. Recognizing that He is great and we are small. He is the potter and we are the clay. We have no right to rebel against Him. 

He blessed me with a wonderful daughter and poetry; a good church family and a godly friend. He blessed me with people who help provide transportation to church, appointments and groceries. 

No, not in always being wealthy.

Prosperity means being blessed in other ways like with peace in troubled times or being blessed with wisdom from others.

To "fear the Lord" means to have such reverence for Him that it inspires a desire to please Him. The 'fear of the Lord' affects the 'walk' of the believer.  The way he/she dresses, the things they do, say, listen to, even places they go.  The person who fears God, wants to please Him in every area of his/her life.

God has showered me with different kinds of blessings.  I am blessed with health - some minor pains - and strength, I am able to do all my chores.   I have been blessed with the husband of my heart, two lovely children and three beautiful grandchildren with two more on the way, and a lovely home, etc.  'Things' are not my priority, but lately it seems like God is going out of His way to give me things.  He has blessed me with His protection, His guidance, and His overall care for me.  Along with the aforementioned, I truly consider being exposed to these lessons a great blessing from the Lord. 

The remaining struggles, I think, are to remind me that I need Him every moment of every day.  To keep me in relationship with Him.  And maybe, so that He can always have something to do for me ?.

As children of God, if we truly trust Him and have the faith that He has our best interest at heart, then I think the result of that faith is prosperity.  In Psalm 34 it tells us, they that fear the Lord shall not want any good thing.  And  in chapter 84 and verse 11 says,  "...No good thing will He withhold from them that walk uprightly."  We might not like the results of our faith, but once it is from God, it is for our good,  Romans 8: 28, "All things work together for good to them that love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose."

I define prosperity as having peace of mind, my daily needs met by a Father who loves me unconditionally, my family saved, and being with Jesus when I leave this earth.

What does it mean to “fear the Lord”?

"Fear the Lord" means to reverence and trust him.  Also, to respect him and obey his commandments.

God has showered my life with numerous blessings.   To name a few, life itself is a blessing.  I have two wonderful children and a grand. He has kept me and my family.  I have a roof over my head and food in my cupboards.   

Why does he allow remaining struggle

Who said the road would be easy.  I look at struggling as a way of preparing me for the way of life.  I learn to keep my trust in the Lord.

Does faith always result in prosperity? How do you define prosperity?

I believe it does.  It may not result in material things but God will reward those that follow his word.  Prosperity is my personal relationship with God.  

Day 9 Meditation (Psalm 128). What does it mean to "fear the Lord"?

Awesome respect, being in awe of God, not desiring to disobey God's loving commands, now wanting to disappoint Him through disobedience or momentary lapse of judgment, revering God, not wanting to violate the relationship He has made possible with Him.

SALVATION through a personal and intimate love relationship with Him through Christ; the indwelling Holy Spirit; using adversity for good; using pain for good; using betrayal and hurt for good; using loss for good; God's promises; health, strength, healing, wisdom, abilities, agility, mobility, opportunities to be used of Him for His glory and for the blessing of others, incredible godly wife and daughter - to start...

We live in a sinful, fallen world and just as martyrs depended on God, so the struggles in this life simply remind us that this world is not our home.  Struggles keep my eyes fixed on Jesus who never fails.

YES!!!  ABSOLUTELY!!!

Prosperity of soul; knowing and experiencing God more fully day by day regardless of circumstances; living in the conscious presence of God as did Brother Lawrence.  Relationships because so many will last forever.  Relationships that open opportunity of sharing Christ, witness, testimony.

Day 9 Meditation Psalm 128 : What does it mean to fear the Lord?

Fear here does not mean to be scared but rather to have utmost RESPECT for God, to be in AWE of God,  which is made possible by my great love for God, my trust in God  and my faith in God. 

The greatest gift God has showered me with is the gift of salvation. Without Christ id be nothing. He made me whole and filled me with his love.  In times of difficulties I become a warrior in spirit knowing that he has promised never to leave me.  

In His blessings, He has showered me with wisdom, love and patience that have helped me in my marriage,  bringing up my family and also in my work environment.  It is by God's grace/blessings that all our needs have been provided for and we have been able to share with others in need.

At times life is not rosy and we go through difficult times. During the fall of Adam and Eve, God told them that they would go through hard work and pain in this world. we see struggle here as a result of sin. Godly people also encounter hardships but they overcome  them due to their faith in God. God has promised us that He shall never leave us nor forsake us. God also allows struggles so that He may be glorified in our overcoming and standing firm in our faith in him. Abraham, Job, Paul and even our Lord Jesus had to endure great struggles all for God's glory. 

God allows suffering to happen to people so that they can learn to obey him . Many a times the Israelite's suffered  and God blessed them when they repented and turned back to Him.  In the present day ,  who would have imagined the world coming to a halt and people going through great fear and suffering . I believe  God wants us to turn away from our WICKED ways (think of all the wickedness in today's world). God is calling humanity back to him. We have to  answer God's call.

Yes, eventually it does

Prosperity to me is the richness of the heart. The abundance of joy, goodness, strength  and love that comes from knowing Christ. All other things  are added blessings from God.

What it means to fear the Lord is to have reverent awe and fear for Him that you choose to be Holy for Him alone. He blessed me with salvation, a holy calling as His Child and also His Prophetess for the Field of the Ministry I am in. He blessed me with a full time ministry that does so much for Him. He does it so we can grow stronger in our faith with Him. No it doesn't. I define it as crown of life. 

Day 9 Meditation (Psalm 128).

Q. What does it mean to "fear the Lord"?

A. Reverence respect that moves one to honour God

Q. What kinds of blessings has God showered over your life?

A. Several and uncountable including children, grand children property, relationships, good health etc To Him alone be the glory, thanksgiving and adoration.

Q. Why does he allow remaining struggles?

A. In spite of God's blessings, there are times we will experience some hardship and challenges sandwiched within the blessings He gives us.

Q. Does faith always result in prosperity?

A. Not always really.

Q. How do you define prosperity?

A. God's blessing that may not be material but could be peace, good health and of course some financial and or material blessings as well.

On 7/19/2020 at 11:29 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

To hold Him in awe and reverence.

Family. Professional. Health. Financial. Vehicle. Free society to worship Him.

To mold me into the character of Christ. And to yield the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

Not financial. Spiritual and eternal, yes.

Being close to Jesus.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 9:29 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q -  What does it mean to “fear the Lord”? ANS -  Having an absolute reverence for an Almighty God. Understanding that He is great and we are small in His sight.  

Q - What kinds of blessings has God showered over your life?  ANS -  Too many to count, every since I was a boy God's hand has been upon my life, leading me and guiding me every step of the way, putting His calling, and yes blessings, upon my life. 

Q- Why struggles?  ANS - James 1:2-4.  He is developing our character, maturing us, molding us, making us in His image.  Consider the example of the Apostle Paul who went through many a struggle, and exemplified a true man of God. 

Q -  Faith result in prosperity?  ANS - Heavens no!  Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a great man of faith in Germany during WWII, gave his life in prison due to his faith!  Consider those martyrs, and those who have suffered for Christ over the many centuries. 

Q - Define prosperity?  ANS - A flourishing, thriving, or successful condition. Philippians 4:10-12 -  Paul says, "to learn to be content in whatever condition I am in"

• 2 months later...

To fear the Lord is to have a healthy respect for God and all that He stands for.

God has kept me throughout the covid-19 experience [among several other experiences] happening around the world. Initially, I thought the world was ending, with the total and simultaneous global lockdown! But some of us are still alive. It's like a wake-up call of what could possibly happen. I mean, what if the world did end? Where would we be now? I need to get my act together!

I believe remaining struggles are there to help mold me in preparation for assignments that are ahead. What doesn't kill me, only makes me stronger...

Faith results in prosperity. The Word says so. Even though it may not appear in ways we expect at first, in the end, it only makes us better than we were.

Prosperity has the ability to increase us and add value, even in ways we do not expect.  When we endure the battle on the field, we become the better for it. Though it may not appear to be so at the start.

• 2 years later...

It means to have a reverential respect for Him and be in awe of Him, to love Him so much that we wouldn't intentionally sin against Him to be rebellious. 

God has given me the best husband I could have ever hoped for. My parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings, and in laws all love me very much. I have never felt rejected or abused by any of them. My children and grandchildren are amazing. I wouldn't have hand picked anyone else. I have a nice home. I love my pets. I have the greatest friends. My church is stellar. God gave me a ministry to fight human trafficking. 

There have to be struggles to over come because this develops character. If everything came easy, we wouldn't appreciate it and maybe take it for granted. 

Faith doesn't always result in physical prosperity, but we will always have what we need. His word promises this, that we don't have to worry about basic human needs. There is always spiritual prosperity available to us. 

Prosperity is flourishing where we are planted. 

• 6 months later...

To respect him acknowledge him, he is to be Praised.

Everything that goes along with Family and love, my Husband, children my Parents brothers and sister, always took care of us.

We all face struggles and pain and there have been times I wondered where God was, but when I look back he was thee all the time, I think during those times we grow.

Having Faith isn't always about just  prosperity , give and it shall be given to you and that isn't always about money.

Prosperity to me is growing in God learning and that to me means I'm getting richer everyday.