JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

3. John's Baptism

• 3 months later...

1.    Is temptation only merely inevitable, or is it necessary to our growth as disciples? It is necessary for our growth as disciples

2.    What is the essence of the first temptation, to turn stones into bread?  To tempt Jesus to break His fast and thus abort His mission of adequately equipping and fortifying Himself through fasting and prayers for the mission ahead of him. Which temptations we face are similar? When we are are tempted to break our fast due to hunger.

3.    What is the essence of the second temptation, to attain power and splendor? To trap and lure Jesus to submit into the quest for power What similar temptations do we face today? To acquire power , wealth and and name and end up outside the will and way of the Lord

4.    What is the essence of the third temptation, to throw oneself down from the temple? To lure Jesus  to the feeling of being famous that results into the pride of being a star. How do we face this temptation today? Pride and quest for fame can lead us to take action that are  not pleasing to God.

5.    Did Jesus have any special powers at his disposal to resist temptation that Christians today don't have? No. He had the enabling power of God through the Holy spirit and the Word of God that helped Him to overcome. These are also available to us too.

6.    What lessons about how to resist temptation does Jesus teach us disciples in this passage? That the devil will certainly temp us. But standing firm in the power of God through our Helper the Holy spirit, our knowledge/ application of His Word and our resolute determination to obey only God will lead us to overcome every temptation.

• 3 weeks later...

Are we unworthy to serve Christ? If so, why? If not, why not?

we can only become worthy to serve Christ when we accept His forgiveness so that He can pour in use the gift of the Holy Spirit. Without the Holy Spirit, we wouldn't even be able to see the thongs on Christs shoes, even if His foot was one foot from our eyes. We would be that blind

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:05 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

1. Isn't John the Baptist's humble statement, "the thongs of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie," a bit overstated? Are we unworthy to serve Christ? If so, why? If not, why not?

Some of us may secretly think we are very worthy servants to have contributed a lot to the kingdom of God, esp. if we are highly "gifted". Both John's words here and Jesus' words in Luke 17:7-10 put our status back in the right place. Jesus says the master will expect (without a word of thanks) his slave to prepare a meal for him immediately after laboring in the fields outside. He taught us to say, "We are slaves undeserving of special praise; we have only done what was our duty."

We know from other Scriptures that Jesus is not such a harsh master, but these words remind us of our true status. We were sinners unfit to meet God, much less to serve Him, if we didn't owe it to Jesus' sacrifice to put us right with God. That's why John's words were not overstated. We only think he's overstating because in our hearts we are very proud of ourselves to have done a lot for the kingdom of God. We think God owes us a favor. Actually we owe everything to Him.

1. What does John's comparison of water baptism to Spirit baptism tell us about what Spirit baptism means?

Since baptizo means to immerse, it tells us to be fully immersed in or saturated with the Holy Spirit.

Since baptism is a sign of cleansing, it tells us one purpose the Spirit comes upon us is to cleanse us. (Of course, from other verses, the Spirit fills us with power too.)

Since baptism is a sign of regeneration, so is the filling of the Spirit, like it or not. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are the sons of God. (Rom 8:14) If it weren't so, Peter wouldn't have paired up the gift of the Spirit with forgiveness of sins so unequivocally as the sure outcome of conversion. (Acts 2:38)

1. What does it mean to be "Spirit-filled"? How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flooded with the Holy Spirit?

This is a controversial question. From Ephesians 5:18 "do not get drunk with wine which is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit", the contrast between wine and Spirit implies a generous abundance of the agent we are filled with, and consequently a control by that agent. I would interpret "Spirit-filled" as:

* a hunger for the Spirit, that doesn't set limits on the 'abandon' with which we pursue Him.

* a control by the Spirit, that doesn't set limits on the things He can command us to do.

If we were truly filled this way, we could make a difference in the world like the Apostles did.

1. We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgment" kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment?

We should cultivate a healthy fear of God and examine our lives, in case we have sinned and not confessed / repented. Compare this to the assiduity with which Job got up early in the morning to offer sacrifices for his children, in case they had sinned against God. (Job 1:5)

We should get a sense of urgency about bringing the gospel to others, esp. our loved ones. We should be busy doing the works of God while it is 'day'. 'Night' falls when no one can work. (John 9:4)

1. How good a change-motivator is the warning of future judgment? What other motivators might people respond to in addition to this? Or better than this?

On the one hand, the coming judgment is a truth which should not be spared. We also saw in Job 1:5 that it can be a motivator to be cautious in our lives. Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 puts it this way: "Fear God and keep his commandments.. For God will judge every deed, including every secret thing.." Fear can be a motivator to keep the commandments.

On the other hand, love is a better motivator still. "For the love of Christ constrains us." (2 Corinthians 5:14) If we loved God, we would keep His commandments and not consider it burdensome. (1 John 5:3)

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't John the Baptist's humble statement, "the thongs of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie," a bit overstated? Are we unworthy to serve Christ? If so, why? If not, why not?

No, it's not overstated, it really speaks to the enormity of Jesus as Messiah and God head in the Trinity.  None of us are worthy, because of our sin which separated us from God.  However, we become worthy to serve Christ when we accept Him and The Holy Spirit (down payment).  When we accept Christ as Lord, we become joint-heirs with Him and official sons of the Most High God.  (Romans 8:16-17) 

1.   Isn't John the Baptist's humble statement, "the thongs of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie," a bit overstated? Are we unworthy to serve Christ? If so, why? If not, why not?

No, not overstated at all. As unbelievers we are not worthy of serving our Lord and our only ultimate destination is eternal damnation. To be able to serve Him, we need to become new creatures. Once we have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit, and have truly repented and put our faith in Jesus Christ as our Saviour, we become new creatures (2 Cor 5:17) in Christ. Now only to we start to progress in the Christian life to ultimately become more and more like Jesus. 

1.   What does John's comparison of water baptism to Spirit baptism tell us about what Spirit baptism means?

John baptised with water and his baptism was external and physical. Whereas Spiritual baptism is baptism with the Holy Spirit and fire, and is internal and spiritual. Water is used as a symbol of cleansing. The Holy Spirit on the other hand actually cleans and empowers, and places us into union with Christ. This is not salvation by baptism, but rather it identifies us with Christ and with the community of believers.

1.   What does it mean to be "Spirit-filled"? How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flooded with the Holy Spirit?

On salvation we receive the sealing and permanent indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised the Holy Spirit as our Helper, Comforter, and Guide (John 14:16). To be filled with the Spirit means that we allow Him to occupy every part of our lives. We have Him in charge of our lives – guiding and controlling us. He will help us understand and interpret God’s Word. He is then not only involved in our actions but also in our innermost thoughts and motives. “May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in Your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer (Psalm 19:14).

The more active He is the more will the fruit of the Spirit start to manifest itself, and His presence is seen in our lives - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).  

1.   We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgment" kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment? 

We should be most grateful that He chose us before creation to be His, and thank Him for His great mercy and gracious love in that our names appear in the Book of Life, thereby escaping this terrible judgment. On the other hand, we need to pray for the lost. My family and friends who have not put their trust in Jesus Christ for salvation. I also think of those that have been led astray by false teachers and think they are on the straight and narrow way. That they have been led astray and are of the opinion they have been saved.

1.   How good a change-motivator is the warning of future judgment? What other motivators might people respond to in addition to this? Or better than this?

Pride and continual sin can easily harden the heart, the conscious is deadened, so that there is no awareness or fear of any future judgment. However, for us this fear is a good motivator. Who wants to spend eternity in hell? Careful study of the Word increases our faith and trust. This drives away all fear as we get to know the attributes of God better, and experience His love and working in our lives. Spending time in prayer and worship develops a relationship with our heavenly Father and we become aware of other motivators that are available to us. Of course, the promise of eternal life with our Lord Jesus Christ is a big motivator.  But there are so many blessings that are available to us as motivators while here on earth. The burden of sin is taken away and we have the peace of Jesus. We have the Holy Spirit as our Helper, Comforter, and Guide. We are new creatures and once regenerated our salvation is secure and can never be taken away.

1. We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgment" kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment?                                                          I think we tend to over-emphasize the "warning" aspect of this statement.   My own feeling is that this is simply a statement of how life works:  that is, the good and spiritual life is everlasting, while the non-spiritual life is temporal (and burned away like chaff).  We should not be good because of the fear of punishment.  Instead, we should realize that goodness has an everlasting spiritual permanence which we won't find elsewhere. 

1. Are we unworthy to serve Christ?

Jesus came to seek and save the lost. Mankind is lost. Isaiah 53:6 states, "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way." But we are not just wandering, we are alienated from God by our own wicked hearts. "For God has imprisoned all in disobedience so that He may have mercy to all," (Romans 11:32). We are unworthy but there is hope because God's eternal love song is playing by His Spirit in the earth, and those who are His respond. God does not leave us in our depravity! Jesus is the answer and when we come to Him, He exchanges our unworthiness for His righteousness. Jesus in us qualifies us in God's eyes and for His service. Nothing else does. Not our own works, intellect, good looks, or nothing we produce from ourselves. Only Jesus in us and through us qualifies us. He is the vine and we are the branches. The fruit we produce must come from the life of the vine to endure, His life. Am I worthy? No. Is Jesus worthy? Yes. Jesus in me is what qualifies me to serve. I will never be worthy in myself, only LOVED.

1. Isn't John the Baptist's humble statement, "the thong of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie", a bit overstated?  Are we unworthy to serve Christ?  If so, why?  If not, why not? 

No, it is not overstated. As sinners we would not be able to come before God Who is holy, it is only because of becoming 'new creatures' clothed in Christ's righteousness, that we can humbly come before Him, i . e. only because of grace. 

A few examples brought to mind are found recorded:

In Luke 5:8 when Peter recognized who Jesus was and ack owledged his own unworthiness, he felt he needed Jesus to depart from Him. 

In Matthew 8:8 the centurion acknowledged who Jesus was, by stating his unworthiness to have Him come to his house. 

In 1 Corinthians 15: 9 & 10, Paul acknowledged his unworthiness and that it was by grace alone he could work for Christ. 

2. What does John's comparison of water baptism to Spirit baptism tell us about what Spirit baptism means? 

Water baptism represents God's cleansing and the washing away of our sins (a baptism of repentance acknowledging one's need for cleansing) Water being symbolic of cleansing. 

Spirit baptism is being immersed in the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit being the agent or representative of the cleansing (and power) 

3. What does it mean to be "Spirit-filled" 

How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flooded with the Holy-Spirit? 

Our nakedness (inabilities) would be covered and taken over by the Holy-Spirit. Our thinking and reaction would be Spirit-filled and be full of power and changes would be seen all around us. 

(4) We may be afraid of 'fire-of-judgment' kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment? 

We should examine ourselves in the light of God's Word and bring any sins and short-falls before our Saviour and ask forgiveness and help for renewal and draw closer to Him. If needs be change our lifestyle. 

5. How good a change - motivator is the warning of future judgment? 

What other motivators might people respond to in addition to this? Or better than this? 

It should bring about a real healthy fear of God and a realization that eternity is a reality. We need to live for God and not only bask in His mercy and forgiveness. The LOVE God has for us should give us the sense of need to live for Him so others too can find Him and not be lost for eternity. 

We can only pray for them that their eyes be opened and they recognize the end-result of a life without God. 

3. What does it mean to be “Spirit-filled”? How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flooded with the Holy Spirit?

There is a continuous filling of the Holy Spirit, not just a one-time event. When we are freshly and fully filled or flooded, we have the mind of Christ and walk in His wisdom and power.  We would have all the fruit of the Spirit   flowing in and through our lives. All the Spiritual Gifts would be available to us which would give us wisdom for daily living. Our thoughts and actions would be one with Jesus and bring His love, light, and healing to our hurting world.

On 12/27/2020 at 4:56 AM, Isaac L said:

If we were truly filled this way, we could make a difference in the world like the Apostles did.  I love this statement about being filled with the Spirit and changing the world--what great encouragement!

1. We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgment" kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment?

We should cultivate a healthy fear of God and examine our lives, in case we have sinned and not confessed / repented. Compare this to the assiduity with which Job got up early in the morning to offer sacrifices for his children, in case they had sinned against God. (Job 1:5)

We should get a sense of urgency about bringing the gospel to others, esp. our loved ones. We should be busy doing the works of God while it is 'day'. 'Night' falls when no one can work. (John 9:4)

I also like what you said about warning of judgment giving us a sense of urgency to share the gospel with others.  That's a great reminder!

1. Isn't John the Baptist's humble statement, "the thongs of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie," a bit overstated? Are we unworthy to serve Christ? If so, why? If not, why not?

Not overstated at all, because of our sin, we are completely unworthy to serve Him.  However,  His sacrifice has covered over our sin.  Also, what else can you do except serve the One who died in your place.  There really is no other option once you truly come to that conclusion. 

How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flooded with the Holy Spirit?

If we were truly filled with the Spirit we would do what Jesus did, think like Jesus thinks, say what Jesus said, and love with Jesus' heart.  

1. We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgment" kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment?  We should be thankful that we have been given a warning.  It is certainly better than not having one!
  1. How good a change-motivator is the warning of future judgment? What other motivators might people respond to in addition to this? Or better than this?
  2. I agree with Hanks that many people these days have "no awareness or fear of any future judgment".  I think that everyone does have a longing and void in their heart when they don't know God.  They know something is missing and try to fill the void with other things.  If we are able to help them see that pattern in their life, how they are seeking something that is missing.  Then help them identify the missing thing (Christ) and the purpose He provides us, sometimes that might motivate people to seek Him.  

Isn't John the Baptist's humble statement, "the thongs of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie," a bit overstated? Are we unworthy to serve Christ? If so, why? If not, why not?

A. I don’t think that John’s statement “the thongs of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie” is overstated. We are not unworthy to serve Christ because He died on the cross to wash away our sins. Therefore we are righteous because of what He has done.

What does John's comparison of water baptism to Spirit baptism tell us about what Spirit baptism means?

A. John’s comparison of the water baptism to Sprit baptism tells us that we are to be washed and cleansed in the Sprit.

What does it mean to be "Spirit-filled"? How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flooded with the Holy Spirit?

A. If we are “Spirit-filled” then we would want to do what Jesus has directed us to do. We would always looking to Jesus for our everyday living.

We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgment" kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment?

A. We are afraid of the “fire-of-judgment” kind of language but that should bring us to the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

How good a change-motivator is the warning of future judgment? What other motivators might people respond to in addition to this? Or better than this?

The change-motivator of the future judgment should want to make want to be with Jesus and to understand what Jesus is about.

Bailey  I don't think John's statement is overstated, it was very humbling.  He was the man to bring the news of the coming of the Lord, he was the man who was trying to prepare people for a man that they were not ready to receive in their lives.  Our goal in life is to serve Christ daily, read the scriptures, to be submissive to him.

2. What does it mean to be " Spirit-filled"?  How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flood with the Holy Spirit?  It can be described as the influence the Spirit exercises over us when we yield our selves to Him, God.  The Spirit of God, who wants to fill our lives with His goodness and power.  He wants us to let Him take control of our lives.  Even so, He does not use His power as God to overwhelm us; rather, He fills us only as we submit to Him.

2. What does John's comparison of water baptism to Spirit baptism tell up about what Spirit baptism means? Water baptism is the submerging of the body into water.  The baptism of the Holy Spirit is the act of the Holy Spirit by which He places a person into the church, the body of Christ. The first baptism of the Holy Spirit took place in the upper room at Pentecost when the church began (Acts 2:1-13).  Today it occurs when a person receives Jesus Christ as his or her Savior.  Paul wrote "By one Spirit we were all baptized into one body" ( 1 Corinthians 12:13 ).   The baptism of the Holy Spirit was first announced by John the Baptist (Matthew 3:11).  And the Lord Jesus promised the baptism of the Holy Spirit before He ascended to heaven (acts 1:4-5).

4.  We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgement" kind of language,  but what should our response to warnings of terrible judgement.  We need to learn from the past. Where do we stand with God?  What is my walk with him like?  Do I have fear, can I face tomorrow knowing all is well with my soul.  Have I taken my Lord and Savior for grated or have I confess my sins and accepted Him as my Personal Lord and Savior. If Not, COME ON, HE'S BETTER THAN THAT DRUG YOU USE, THAT NEW CAR YOU DRIVE, BETTER THAN THE PRESIDENT, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?  If you wait to long you will get left behind.  They laugh at Noah, 

5.  How good a change-motivator is the warning of future judgement ?  What other motivators might people respond to in addition to this? Or better than this?  You know God has sent so many warnings and signs to his people, yet He has forgiven us.  We continue to ignore his blessings.  Judgement is not the heart of God, not for nation or a soul.  Judgement is His necessity. But redemption is heart.  He wills that none should perish and longs to save, to grant mercy and forgiveness, to heal and restore.  It is the necessity of good to bring evil to an end, that judgement must come-but it is the heart of the good to bring salvation, to call back, to warn, and to even allow the shaking of nations that those who would hear His calling come back and be saved.  America hasn't turned back!

Q1.John’s statement is not overstated . None of us are worthy of serving Christ because we are all sinners, however when we accepted Jesus as our Lord and Saviour and we turn away from sin, something wonderful happens we become “new creations”, the old has gone the new has come. We become sinners saved by God’s grace and we become children of God. As such we can serve God in thankfulness and humility.

Q2.John’s baptism of water was a symbol of cleansing, but baptism of the Holy Spirit was being immersed in the Holy Spirit who is the agent of cleansing and empowerment.

Q3.The disciplines when they received the Holy Spirit were filled with power and all fear was gone. They went out and preached the gospel unafraid of any opposition.

To be Spirit filled means to be flooded and overflowing with power from God. To be fixed on working for God and not easily distracted by worldly happenings.

Q4. We need to make sure we are ready ourselves for the return of Christ. We also need to share Jesus with those around us. We need to pray for family members who know the gospel and yet reject it. If we can we need to direct them to verses about The Lord’s coming.

Q5. I don’t think there can be any greater motivator than knowing that this coming of Jesus will not be Him coming in mercy like His last coming but that He will be coming in final judgment. No more chances , it will be final. 
We need to have a healthy fear of God and prepare for that day. And help others in their preparation, and by praying for those who will not listen.

1. Isn't John the Baptist's humble statement, "the thongs of whose sandals I am unworthy to untie," a bit overstated? Are we unworthy to serve Christ? If so, why? If not, why not?  John’s statement was a declaration of the supremacy of the Messiah. John knew he had been appointed and anointed to prepare the way for the coming of the One promised by God centuries before to redeem the people from the bondage of their sins. As this final prophet preached with a power and authenticity like nothing these people had likely ever heard, they were convicted to respond and began to wonder could he actually be the Promised One. John was firmly rooted in the humbling lessons of the wilderness where he had been trained and inspired by God Himself for this task. He wanted to make it completely clear that, in comparison of purpose and position and power, he understood himself to be unworthy to do even the most lowly servant’s task for Messiah.

I don’t think I’ve ever considered this question in this particular way, but yes, I would have to say that we are unworthy to serve Christ. Nothing we can offer out of our natural sin-contaminated state is worthy or acceptable, and our best efforts are like filthy stained rags in His sight (Isaiah 64:6). Only what is inspired by and done of the Spirit through us as fruit of God’s grace makes our service worthy, not efforts from a personal sense of righteousness (Romans 14:17-18). John understood and respected his own unworthiness in comparison to the supremacy of Jesus.

2. What does John's comparison of water baptism to Spirit baptism tell us about what Spirit baptism means?  John could only baptize the people with water, which symbolized the cleansing they needed from sin and the repentance required to receive that cleansing. But neither John or the water had any power to literally provide this inner cleansing. Spirit baptism is the actual act of spiritual cleansing that is given to us by God once we have repented of sin and received the pardon provided through Messiah’s atoning sacrifice. Christ actually does have the power to cleanse, purify, and refine us. He does this through sending His Spirit to immerse believers into the spiritual Body of Christ and accomplish this inner work of cleansing. Water is merely a symbol for the actual cleansing power of the Spirit.

Years ago I read a commentary about baptizo that I’ve never forgotten. It’s a word picture that’s a great analogy. This word was actually used for the process of pickling. Dipping a cucumber, for instance, in water can clean the exterior, but can’t do anything to transform it into something new. But immersing that cucumber in a pickling solution completely changes its taste, smell, color, texture, usefulness, shelf-life. It changes that vegetable into something entirely different from what it was, and this change cannot be reversed. Baptizo seems to be the perfect word for the transformation that occurs when one is baptized & immersed in the life-changing Spirit of God.

3. What does it mean to be "Spirit-filled"? How would our lives be different if we were truly filled and flooded with the Holy Spirit? When we’re redeemed from sin through faith in Christ, we are given the in-dwelling presence of His Spirit. The Spirit is present in fullness but does not take over by force. We must cooperate with His direction and yield our will to Him. But we generally hold back more of ourselves than we give to Him to inhabit. It’s like being a large house with many rooms but only allowing the Spirit to occupy 1 or 2 of them. As we submit and open all the doors to allow Him to inhabit every space of our lives, we are overwhelmed with His presence and become Spirit-filled.

4.  We may be afraid of "fire-of-judgment" kind of language, but what should our response be to warnings of terrible judgment?   First of all, we should be grateful to have been given warnings. God always warns before sending judgment so that people have the opportunity to repent and turn their hearts back to Him. I cannot say that I look forward to the intense judgments that seem to be rapidly drawing closer in our current era. But I have to keep setting my heart and focus on who I know God to be and on all the promises of restoration that follow judgment. His refining work is always to draw us to Him, always leads to greater blessing in the end, and is always for the purpose of His glory. We should be humbled by the warnings, driven to God’s Word and promises, and motivated with a sense of urgency to share them with others who need to know.

5. How good a change-motivator is the warning of future judgment? What other motivators might people respond to in addition to this? Or better than this? I won’t try to second-guess what God decided to use for motivating change. But along with the warning of judgment to come, we must share the hope and purpose and love found in Christ.