JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

6. Commission

• 4 months later...
On 8/19/2020 at 9:07 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

1. Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?

Yes, because Jesus told his disciples to wait to be "clothed with power from on high" (Luke 24:49), and he promised in John 14:12, "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

I think Paul had this in mind when he prayed that God would open the eyes of Christians to see "what is the incomparable greatness of his power toward us who believe... This power he exercised in Christ when he raised him from the dead..." (Ephesians 1:19-20). We often don't see it, so Paul prayed that we can see and expect it.

1. Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace his mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not?

In general, it is true that two persons' missions need not bear any resemblance to one another. But for Jesus, his commission is our commission -

- because he commissioned us so: "go and make disciples... teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:19-20)

- because he promised us so: "anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing." (John 14:12)

1. Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think?

We may feel comfortable because we despise the poor in our hearts (but do not admit it), or because we are afraid they will pester us for money.

We can't separate declaring good news and doing good works to the poor. Scripture exposes the hypocrisy of such a brand of Christianity:

James 2:15-16 says, "If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace..' but do not give them what the body needs, what good is it?"

1 John 3:17 says, "Whoever has the world's possessions and sees his fellow Christian in need and shuts off his compassion, how can the love of God reside in him?"

From a different angle - that of psychology, Abraham Maslow proposes that man has a hierarchy of needs, such that the lower-level needs (such as sustenance by food and clothing) have to be satisfied to a reasonable degree, before the man can even begin to strive for higher-level needs (self-actualization). It is conceivable that a man who is really starving to death from hunger cannot think about the joys of heaven through receiving Christ.

I cannot say for sure if Jesus gave alms, but since he taught that "when you give alms, do not announce it with trumpets" (Matthew 6:2), we may imply that he did give alms, except that he didn't do so ostensibly.

1. Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity?

Figuratively, anyone who is trapped in something he cannot free himself from is a prisoner. This can be someone caught in an addiction to computer games, or someone who suffers from obssessive-compulsive disorder, etc.

In a sense, they are victims themselves (even if they were somewhat responsible for landing in this state), so instead of condemning them, we show them compassion. We must still tell them what has gone wrong with them, but we also sow hope of freedom into their hearts.

1. How should you heal the brokenhearted in your world?

Although I don't know any fixed formula, most counseling help starts with active listening. First, listen to understand and empathize, instead of popping out quick-fix solutions. As rapport is built up, explore (not dictate) options together with him, not forgetting to point him to Jesus who can comfort him. For Jesus is so compassionate and tender that "a bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench" (Matthew 12:20).

1. Who are the oppressed in your particular community? How can you assist them and help them find justice?

Frankly I am not too aware. But perhaps there are the migrant menial workers whose dorms are in poor sanitary conditions. Occasionally we hear news of atrocious household employers who underfeed or abuse their domestic maids too.

1.    1. Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus? Yes. Jesus was able to execute His commission by power of the Holy Spirit. This power is available to us because after His assension to heaven, the Holy Spirit and power was released to us. His commission is our commission to be successfully executed through the power of the Holy Spirit.

2.    Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace his mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? NO Why or why not? We have been given the Great Commission by the Lord Jesus Christ Himself in Matthew 28:19 and have been empowered by the coming of the Holy Spirit to achieve this goal and more.

3.    Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable?  It probably makes us feel guilty if we are not reaching out to help such poor around us.  Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think?

4.    Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity?

5.    5. How should you heal the brokenhearted in your world?

6.    6. Who are the oppressed in your particular community? How can you assist them and help them find justice?

• 5 weeks later...

1.   Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?

In believers the power of the Spirit is dependent upon their faith and obedience or unbelief and disobedience. The evidence of the presence and blessing of God is directly dependent on our response to the Lord. The Holy Spirit will bring great blessing in the life of believers whose conduct is pleasing to God. It is true that when regenerated we became new creations, and we all received the Holy Spirit as a deposit. But the power depends on our walk with Jesus Christ. Jesus, on the other hand, was completely without sin, and He received unlimited power of the Spirit.

2.   Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace His mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not?

The fundamental mission was to fulfil God’s plan of saving the lost. Yes, in this global strategy we must both embrace His mission and adopt it for ourselves. We as His disciples, working in the power of the Holy Spirit, are to carry on Jesus’ commission throughout the whole world – making disciples of all nations by preaching the gospel. Getting them to repent and to trust Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. But, it must go beyond evangelism; it is not enough to simply make converts and let them fend for themselves. They must be taught to obey the commandments of Christ, and how to become more and more like Jesus Christ Himself - this is brought about by systematic teaching of, and submission to, the Word of God. However, there is also a personal strategy used in fulfilling Jesus’ commission, where one person’s mission need not be another’s. This involves using the different personal spiritual gifts we have received from the Holy Spirit in achieving His goal.

3.   Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think?

Sometimes I might feel uncomfortable, knowing that if it was not for God’s grace and mercy, I could be in that position of poverty. This realisation can hit one, resulting in being overwhelmed with a feeling of gratitude. On the other hand, there can be a feeling of guilt in not having done enough to help that person in their time of need. Very often one does not know what are the circumstances involved and how to help. Poverty can be self-inflicted through laziness, bad choices, drug addiction, and other. Yes, Jesus said the poor will always be with us (Matt 26:11). There is no shame in being poor. We can declare Good News to the poor without easing their poverty. But there is nothing stopping us to do both together. So, the two can and could/should be separated. Very often we find the poor are rich in Christ and the opposite also occurs; there are those who are wealthy but are without Christ. There needs to be a balance of not too rich and not too poor (Prov 30:8), of avoiding these extremes. Being poor can be dangerous to spiritual and physical health. On the other hand, being rich is not the answer – we might become independent of the Lord and deny Him by not feeling any need for Him. The ideal is to learn how to live with neither poverty nor riches (Php 4:12). Jesus Himself was poor. His disciples and most of Jesus’ followers were poor as well. At least in worldly terms. However, they were rich in spiritual wealth.

4.   Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity?

Everyone around me and including myself, is a prisoner - we are either prisoners/slaves to sin or to righteousness. We find that when sin is our master, we are unable to resist it. As prisoners/slaves, as spiritual prisoners/slaves we are held in spiritual bondage - held captive to our guilt.

Living a life enslaved to sin with the resulting guilt, suffering, and separation from God. As slaves to sin we cannot free ourselves; we need to put our trust and faith in Jesus Christ who through His death on the Cross is able to free us from the penalty and power of sin. This is the good news, that by His power to overcome the power of sin, we find ourselves being set free from sin and now we become slaves to righteousness (Rom 6:18). We find complete peace and true freedom. Just think, through our bondage to Christ, we have become sons and heirs of the Most High God (Gal 4:1–7), and as heirs, we are partakers of that inheritance - eternal life - which God confers on all His children. So, we are no longer slaves, but God's children. This is a privilege beyond any earthly treasure we could ever inherit, while those in bondage to sin inherit only spiritual death and an eternity in hell.

5.   How should you heal the broken-hearted in your world?

We must be with them, giving a listening ear, and comforting them. Death is always a time of grief for those left behind, but there is no need for hopeless sorrow for believers. Although we are sorrowful that we won’t share any more earthly experiences with our departed Christian loved ones, we can also look forward to an eternity with them. Grief and hope can coexist when we know the destiny of the ones we love. That knowledge helps us move on, eager for the day when the Lord will wipe away every tear from our eyes (Revelation 7:17; 21:4). Compare this with the despairing grief of those who have no hope of heaven, or reunion, of anything but judgment. God has promised to be “close to the broken-hearted” (Ps 34:18), and to be our source of power, courage, and wisdom, helping us through this difficult time. God understands our grief and will be with us and comfort us with promises from His Word. “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21), for us death is not the end but the beginning.

While the non-Christian may sense a waning in intensity of heartbreak, only a Christian can experience complete recovery because only the Christian has access to the power of the Spirit of God who alone “heals the broken-hearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3). What wonderful news! Thank You, LORD.

6.   Who are the oppressed in your particular community? How can you assist them and help them find justice?

The victims of oppression are the weak and vulnerable, the poor, widows, orphans, foreigners, and servants. This oppression is mainly caused by the oppressors’ greed and **** for power. God is concerned for the victims of oppression and we should exhibit that same concern. In Psalm 72:4, we read that down through the centuries the poor and needy have been oppressed, underpaid, persecuted and even killed, and that He will liberate them and punish those who took advantage of them. We imitate our Lord by showing them compassion, and by trying to help them out of their situation.

We need to remember the love and mercy Jesus Christ showed us in sparing us from the judgment which our sins deserved. More often than not they are unable to help themselves. 

1. Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus? 

John 14:12 ..... he will do even greater things than these. 

The greater works are the direct result of the Spirit's working in and through them. 

John 15:7 If you live in Me ... and My words remain in you and continue to live in your hearts, ask whatever you will and it shall be done for you. 

The Power of the Gospel transforms lives. 

John 16:23-24 ... asking in His Name

Prayer is the means by which we ask God to extend His Kingdom and do His will on earth as it is in Heaven. Our desire ought to be to see God glorified through the Lord Jesus. 

Isaiah 55:8&9 His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts. ..... 

2. Here is a premise "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission too. We must both embrace His mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not? 

We are all sent out as recorded in Mark 16:15" ... Go into all the world and preach and publish openly the Good News (the Gospel) to every creature of the whole human race. "

Is 61:1-3 broadens out what this Good News is and also who these creatures of the human race are. 

We are not all sent to Siberia, Chile, China, or Africa. Each one has his/her own task in the "Great Commission". 

Some to stand on platforms and preach to the multitudes, some sent to individuals eg. Bro Sheffey the 'Circuit Rider' preacher. God used him differently to the way He used Billy Graham or Richard Wurmbrand, but each one went and published/lived the Good News as commissioned. 

Working with the sick and elderly, the underprivileged, be it on home-ground or in a foreign country is just as important. They too are part of the human race. 

Much prayer went into picking a question out of Lesson 6 because initially no question popped out to me with desire to dive in. Instead this time I wrestled with the questions, all the while sensing that question 4 was the question God had for me.

4. Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity?

This question points to the obvious, the elephant in the room, for the prisoner in my life is none other than my husband of 30 yrs. I won't give you his testimony other than to say he has been backslidden for 20yrs. I on the flipside was healed of the Lord 2.5 yrs ago and have come into a Full relationshp with Christ wherein He has shown me my worth, my purpose, and a calling. I recently have told several people that I am happier now than I ever knew possible, and I have found my passion in life - Jesus. But back to the question.

Learning to share Christ with your spouse for a wife can be found in I Peter 3:1-2. "In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if some do not obey the word (of God), they may be won over (to Christ) without discussion by the godly lives of their wives."

This word came to me during a time I was trying with all my heart to fully submit to my oftentimes difficult husband. I looked daily for ways to submit, for Jesus had shown me that He saw him as a great king. So I endeavored to NOT look at my husband's sin and rough exterior, but instead to serve, serve, serve. Out of this has been born a beautiful love. Nightly I massage my husband's feet, I keep his water glass full, and his eyeglasses cleaned. My husband knows he is loved - by me. And he is! I have grown to possess a deep love for my husband that sees past all the ugliness of his flesh. Jesus has broken the hard parts of my heart to reveal a love that covers all sin. I'm no saint; it is still sometimes painful, but Jesus is all I need when the going gets tough. "Spending time with Jesus is all we need for anything we face."

Unfortunately my husband still has issues with God. He is fine with me serving Jesus, in fact he prefers it, but in a rare conversation about God just last night he said, "You can't make me do something I don't want to do. (Silence) So just keep the faith and hang in there." ARGH! UGH! That hurts. God where are you in this? God I have faithfully served You first and submitted to my husband and this is the answer I get? Haha, it is not easy to serve God but always worth it. Over the heart struggles I have endured, I have been led to Hebrews 4:3 where God speaks of a timetable for our faith. He says: "although the works were finished from the foundation of the world." Which means Jesus planned and made all things in his heart before time began. He knows the days of each person and He knows when my husband will come back to him. "There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God." (Heb 4:9).

I have learned that Jesus is not as concerned with my husband as He is with me. Jesus wants me to be able to give even when I don't "feel like it"; Jesus wants me to accept and to serve no matter what comes. (Of course it goes without saying that Jesus does not want wives to submit to sin!) It is often very difficult for the trials of life seem to be relentless but I have learned that keeping Jesus preeminent causes every dark difficulty to pale and grace to abound. 

Prayer and standing on the Word of God are the only tools that survive all tests, even overcoming them.

So I trudge onward in Relationship & Prayer with the Bible & Faith trusting my God and friend Jesus to bring my husband in on the perfect day. Will it be tomorrow or on his deathbed, I do not know. But I have come to accept this next phase of our lives together and in Christ it will be good. It will be very, very good!

4. Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity? 

Those imprisoned by habits and desires that tie them up and they cannot choose differently when tempted. e.g. sexual ****, drinking alcohol, drugs, nicotine. Others again tied up by the love of money or things. 

They can be encouraged by reminding  them that Christ does forgive and He is their strength to enable them to withstand the temptation. 

3.Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? 

I personally feel uncomfortable around poor and rich alike. In fact strangers as well as people I know. Often not only on their turf but mine also. It always takes a while before I am almost comfortable. It could be because of the uncertainty of maybe imposing on their time or uncertain of being able to give what they expect from me or conducting myself in the way I am expected to. Remember certain conduct in one group is accepted but not acceptable in another group. 

An excellent example about this is Bruchko by Bruce Olson and his experience amongst the Motilone Bari Indians in Columbia and Venezuela. 

Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated?  Should they be? 

I guess one can alleviate a present need, e.g. give clothing or food (whatever one has to give or share). That does not mean o e takes them out from where they are. Instead of always 'giving the fish' one can teach them 'to fish'. While doing this their confidence is won and one can share the Good News with them. The reason for the poverty is not always the same. Sometimes it is because of laziness, drug abuse, illness, investments gone wrong, loss of job etc. Each person is different. Encouragement is given with the Good News and generally this is welcome. 

Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you think? 

If alms include merciful deeds, then the Gospels record many such examples not only to the poor but to the needy. 

5. How should you heal the broken-hearted in your world? 

Bring comfort to them also. "Weep with the ones who weep. Spend time with them. (That I find is very important. Not many are willing to do that and it brings such a deep loneliness that one can be swallowed up by it and eventually you do not feel safe without it. It becomes like a safe mantle around you with which you need to go on living.) Allow them to talk about their pain when they are ready and comfortable to do so. 

6.Who are the oppressed in your community? How can you assist them and help them find justice? 

One would say the unemployed and addicts who cannot get help. The very poor who are trying to 'survive' and do so in a never-ending circle and cannot get out of it. The orphans who look to the community at large for mercy and help. Old people who find it hard to fend for themselves. Farmers who are so often attacked and brutally murdered. 

There is no just justice anymore. The crooks get off free to just break in and steal again. Even murderers. 

There is peace in Jesus alone. 

6.   Who are the oppressed in your community?

Where do we start?   Those who are oppressed by the state because they advocate a way of life other than the official one.   Those who are oppressed by poverty and sickness, particularly at this time of the Covid epidemic, when so many jobs have been lost, family members ill or dying and the way of life disjointed and different.   Those who are oppressed because they lack hope, and have no solid foundation of faith to fall back on.   Those who are oppressed and confused by  unrealistic demands made on their adherents by some religions.   Those who are oppressed through loneliness.  Those who are oppressed by mental illness.   There are so many examples that one could give

1.  Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in Christians today as it was in Jesus?

Jn 14:12 "He will do even greater things than these because I am going to the Father" -- it seems that the power of the Spirit in Christians now is even greater than it was in Jesus-as-man.  At least, if power is measured in "doing things".  And this is because Jesus is no longer incarnate.  The power of the Spirit is stronger because it is sent by Jesus. And he tells us that couldn't be sent unless he left.  The power of the Spirit is stronger because of the cross, resurrection and new covenant.
So: I can believe this theoretically.  But does it seem to be true?  Well, even though the spiritual power doesn't seem to be very strong in the world it is more far reaching than all that could be done by one incarnate Christ in a few years when he was time-bound.

2. If we follow Jesus then his commission is ours... yet need one person's mission be the same as another?  Aren't we each different?

Yes, his commission is ours  (I love this lesson: it really brought this home to me!), but the method of going about it is unique to each person -- each disciple -- based on passion, giftings, skill, circumstances.  Suppose you work in a healing profession and consider it your ministry: well and good, as you work for the release from the oppression of illness and injury.  Someone else works in politics for the same reason of releasing oppression; someone else teaches, releasing from the oppression of ignorance -- which is also "giving sight for the blind".  It is good to keep the whole of this Isaiahic commission in mind -- and in heart -- for it is indeed our mission.  But it has many parts and many manifestations.
But all are about caring.

3. Why can being around the very poor make us uncomfortable? Can we, with integrity, declare the good news to them without seeking to alleviate their poverty?  Can these two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms?

The discomfort is from fear, distrust, disgust, judgment, guilt.
Fear that it could as well be me as them; distrust that they are authentically needy; fear that we will receive harm at their hands; disgust at the filth and disfigurement; judgment that 'they brought this on themselves'; guilt that we may be the cause of that poverty; guilt that we aren't fixing the problem...

This is all in regard to the poor in money/goods/dwelling/food.
Poor in health are similarly discomforting though, likely without fear of harm, nor guilt that we may be the cause.
Poor in Spirit could relate to many of these discomforts and perhaps should (guilt that we aren't fixing the problem; fear that it could as well be us) but the primary one in this case is judgment.
These are the whys -- well some of them -- that I can see. 

Can we declare the good news of Jesus without trying to help? One can of course. 
But one is much more likely to try to help without declaring the good news, hoping that our actions will be a witness, or believing they can't really hear the eternal good news without first having worldly lives fixed. This is a mistake ! And stems largely from our feeling of guilt that we are somehow the cause of the poverty. Do not wait! The poverty as a whole can't be fixed.  Jesus has said so!  But he has said to be kind: give alms.
Of course Jesus would have given alms -- it was a customary way of living.  But giving alms isn't "alleviating poverty", rather, it is a momentary kindness; it is a giving of the fish, not a teaching how to fish.  Poverty will always be with us -- don't wait on that to declare the good news.  We believe if we aren't making a show of at least trying to fix poverty then the words of the good news will be rejected, that we have no 'right' to speak them.  Think again.  These things cannot be separated.  They go hand in hand.

4. Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them sensitively?

Wilson has in mind that we probably don't have actual prisoners -- those incarcerated by the government -- around us.  But, in fact, many do in their line of work or as a ministry. I don't.
He perhaps thinks we have "unofficial" prisoners in our life -- those held by other people under force of threat: women held in abusive relationships at risk of physical harm to themselves if they leave; or workers held at risk of professional harm; children held by abusive parents; adult children held by threat of harm to the very parent who holds them; or aging parents held by adult children; seniors held in health institutions; or...   I have known of most of these and directly and recently of the last -- hospice patients J and K.  Could I have proclaimed good news of eternal freedom to either?  Not ethically, since the hospice rules forbid religious talk.  Could I  have proclaimed good news of worldly release to either?  Not truthfully, since I didn't see that happening in any way.  They were imprisoned because of their need for help.
But Wilson mainly wants to think of those imprisoned by substance:  drugs or alcohol.  I say this isn't actually imprisonment for the prison master is a thing, it has no intent.  This is a bad situation; yet let us not falsely label it "prison" in order to find someone we can "proclaim to" -- so as to personalize this piece of the mission.  I say this "prisoner" piece of the mission isn't currently coming up for me or many.  Hold this advice in reserve for when it is applicable. 
And think of alcohol and drug users along side all those who suffer ill health through their own choices: people to be helped? yes.  But not prisoners.

5. How should you heal the broken hearted in your world?

Accompany them "weep with those who weep".  You cannot heal them.  You wait with them, pray with them, pray for them, include them, ask about their sadness, listen to them, care for them physically.

6. Who are the oppressed in your community? How can you assist them and help them find justice?

There is something striking in this fourth action.  He doesn't "free the prisoners" but "proclaims freedom..."  But he does, directly "release the oppressed".  It is as though "proclaiming" freedom makes it so, but "proclaiming" release wouldn't make it so: the truth of what needs to happen for the oppressed is more individual-- somehow it takes more work.  The hardship of oppression isn't erased with a proclamation.  And so, as His disciples, we must do this work.  The work is not so much with the oppressed but with the cause of the oppression; with the oppressors.  If there are no oppressors there will be no oppressed.  The damage of the oppression remains and is addressed through charity, but the oppression ceases when the oppressors -- or their means of oppression -- are nullified.  The means of oppression may be laws, may be customs.  The oppressors may be departments or individual people of influence and power.
Who are the oppressed -- systematically oppressed -- here?  The migrant community springs to mind: mostly Mexican, Central American; mostly without English language skills and many without legal work papers.  The homeless also spring to mind: they are acceptable targets for personal abuse.  Which systems abuse them? Police and business owners.  There are programs to house them, programs to provide food, socks, medical care.  But they will "always be with us".  Where are the programs to make it not OK to use them as targets; the programs to legitimize their position rather than to fix it?  Such programs would seem inhumane, but they are necessary.  In Jesus's day there were beggars as a recognized class with rights that went with that.  So: churches allowing parking on their lots, using their restrooms, programs of showers and feeding -- not because these are compassionate (they are) but because they are rights for these who will always -- as a class -- be with us.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Bailey 12/14/21   greetings with much Love on this Valentines Day.  Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?  That's tough, I think when this book was written Dr. Ralph had no idea what was coming.  The great virus, the one and only covid-19 that would shake that world.  If ever a time for the need of the Spirit, it is now, today!
  2. The premise as followers of Jesus and to embrace His mission is so difficult.  We are told to hide our faces, don't come out in the public, people are dying left and right from some unknown virus, nobody knows what to do.  People have taken to the streets in mob action for fear of the unknown, fighting and stealing, ( why I don't know ), losing their jobs, lack of money.  Jesus missionaries are unable to reach out to them.
  3. Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable ?   It does not bother me, because I am one of those elderly people who had to beg for food and a had out.  I was ashamed of asking for help, hunger took over.  Covid forced many to beg and lose their dignity.
  4. Who around you is a prisoner?  How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity ?  Here in the north, prisoners are being released from jails due to over crowding.  Drugs are on a all time high, I pray that God keep His Angels around my house and me so that no breaks in.  You are under lock down because of covid-19 so you're isolated from people.
  5. How should you heal the brokenhearted in your world?  You must Pray, listen to Spiritual music, something uplifting. I do.
  6. Who are the oppressed in your particular community?  How can you assist them and help them find justice?   Look that finding justice stuff is really over rated. I really need someone to shovel all this snow I got☺️.  As far as the oppressed, I'm one, I just deal with it through prayer. 

Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?

A. Yes it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus. We have the same Spirit and there are more of now then there was in Jesus’ time therefore we can spread out and tell more people about the Spirit then Jesus could.

Here is a premise: "If we are followers of Jesus, then Jesus' commission is our commission, too. We must both embrace his mission and adopt it for ourselves." It could be argued that one person's mission need not be another's. Do you think this is a valid premise? Why or why not?

A. I do believe that person’s mission need not be another’s. We have all been given a Spiritual gift and they are not all the same. So my mission might be to be a missionary and somebody else’s is to preach the word of God.

Why can being around the very poor make us feel uncomfortable? Can we with integrity declare good news to the poor without seeking to alleviate their poverty? Can the two be separated? Should they be? Did Jesus give alms to the poor, do you0 think?

A. I can’t remember the bible saying that Jesus gave alms to the poor, but He was with them all the time. I might feel uncomfortable being around them because I can’t help them with mammon but I can still teach them about the Holy Spirit.

Who around you is a prisoner? How can you declare freedom to them with sensitivity?

A. I can declare freedom to the prisoner by having a conversation with them and slipping in something to do with God and the Spirit.

How should you heal the brokenhearted in your world?

A. One way that you can heal the brokenhearted in my world is to sit with them and listen to the situation that they are in. You don’t necessary have to have a cure for their problem but just listening to them may help them come to their own conclusion.

Who are the oppressed in your particular community? How can you assist them and help them find justice?

A. Probably the oppressed in my community are the Mexicans. I don’t know how to find justice for them except to be with them when they seem to help.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:40 PM, hanks said:

1.   Is it reasonable to expect that the power of the Spirit will be as great in a Christian today as it was in Jesus?

In believers the power of the Spirit is dependent upon their faith and obedience or unbelief and disobedience. The evidence of the presence and blessing of God is directly dependent on our response to the Lord. The Holy Spirit will bring great blessing in the life of believers whose conduct is pleasing to God. It is true that when regenerated we became new creations, and we all received the Holy Spirit as a deposit. But the power depends on our walk with Jesus Christ. Jesus, on the other hand, was completely without sin, and He received unlimited power of the Spirit.

Thanks for your explanation of Jesus having unlimited power of the Spirit.  That explains a lot.

On 1/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, Lisa Daley said:

So I trudge onward in Relationship & Prayer with the Bible & Faith trusting my God and friend Jesus to bring my husband in on the perfect day. Will it be tomorrow or on his deathbed, I do not know. But I have come to accept this next phase of our lives together and in Christ it will be good. It will be very, very good!

Lisa, I will be praying for your husband.  I understand.  Please pray for my husband.

I do think Jesus gave alms to the poor.  I believe Judas was in charge of the money.  When the sinful woman broke the alabaster jar and poured the perfume on Jesus' feet, Judas complained that it could have been sold and the money given to the poor (although he was really stealing the money).  I think that indicates that Jesus and his disciple were giving alms.

As disciples we are to follow Jesus'  example by comforting the hurting and broken hurted. We must spend time with them, listening, pray with them, sharing encouraging scriptures about the Father's love and care for them, His promises to heal the broken hearted and binding up their wounds. ( psalm 147 : 3) We should be there for them and help them pull through their grievances and give them much love just as Jesus would do.

It is reasonable to expect that the power of the Holy Spirit will be as great in Christian today as it was in Jesus because the word of God tell us that “ I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.” John 14:12)