JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

53. Hypocrisy

• 9 months later...

1. The scribes and Pharisees were caught in a rigid system of legalism to justify themselves before God. In what ways do our Christian religious cultures foster the same kind of self-justification and hypocrisy? 
Today we have people trying to impose their own system of rules and regulations for salvation and spiritual growth on us. They might have the appearance of wisdom but they fail because they are based on human wisdom and on outward performances instead of an inward change. This is the type of self-justification through the trap of legalism, similar to that of the scribes and Pharisees. At the same time believers are weighed down with burdens that are hard to bear. But in 1 John 5:3 we read, “This is love for God: to keep His commands. And His commands are not burdensome”; we obey out of our love for our Lord which results in great joy and blessing. In our self-justification we seem to forget that justification is not earned at all, it is totally an act of God, not only forgiving our sins but also imputing to us the righteousness of Christ.  We repent and put our trust in Jesus – this all seems too easy. We are all capable of hypocrisy, and often unknowingly become hypocrites. We may look righteous on the outside, but this is all a lie. It is not our obeying a set of rules that results in true righteousness. 

2. What kinds of hypocrisy have you personally had to struggle with the most? 
This lesson has made me more aware of my hypocrisy which stretches across the whole spectrum of pretence. I cannot really say that there is one kind of hypocrisy that I struggle with mostly. I have found that at different times I have been guilty of not loving all, especially the unlovely, not being sincere at all times, not forgiving those that have harmed me, not being truthful at all times, failing to practice what I preach, seeking self-recognition, worshipping half-heartedly, not always being clean on the inside. And the list goes on and on. I need to come humbly before my Heavenly Father and ask for help from the Holy Spirit in sanctifying me, and to eliminate all hypocrisy in my life. I pray as I grow in grace, for the Lord to show me my hypocrisy, and help me nip it in the bud and confess it. Dear Lord, work in me deeply by Your Spirit building me up in holiness and righteousness through Jesus Christ my Saviour. Amen. 

3. What is necessary for a Christian to do to escape the inaccurate "public" image of himself that he may have so carefully constructed for others (and perhaps himself) to see and believe? What is the antidote to hypocrisy? 
When our friends say they didn’t know we were Christians it’s time for us to take note. This could be a wakeup call. Why don’t people see the fruit of the Spirit in our lives – because it isn’t there! We can’t fake it – that would be a lie, and hypocrisy. Besides we would be found out soon enough. “If anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!” (2 Cor 5:17). Once we repented and put our trust in Jesus we should have been made a new creation, and old habits and evil thoughts should have started fading away, and our beliefs, actions, and spiritual growth would become more and more visible. If not, it’s time to check our commitment to Jesus Christ as our Saviour, to start acknowledging Him in everything we do, to start enjoying our fellowship with Him, to start being more active in our prayer life, to seriously start to reading and meditating on His Word, to start praying for the Holy Spirit to help us become more and more like Jesus. We should be quick to confess our sins so that we can enjoy maximum fellowship and joy with our Lord. This would be the antidote to hypocrisy. 

4. How can we both live humbly in our churches and still foster high standards of behavior for ourselves and one another? 
This requires the love for our brothers and sisters in Christ, a love of divine power that is only given to those indwelt by the Spirit. Jesus said that if we do this we are His disciples, "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another" (John 13:34-35). This love helps the church function properly as the whole congregation works together for the common good; keeping us strong and united in a world hostile to God. We must have an attitude of gently reaching out to others, getting to know them, offering encouragement or help if needed, hospitality by inviting them to our homes, and bearing one another’s burdens. Forgiving and ignoring hurts from others without complaining or fighting back.
Not to get involved in petty bickering, jealousy, or any division in the church. It is putting others before ourselves. All of this cannot be done without the help of the Holy Spirit. Remembering that nothing is hidden from His sight (Heb 4:13). He knows if our faith is real or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

1.  The scribes and Pharisees were caught in a rigid system of legalism to justify themselves before God. In what ways do our Christian religious cultures foster the same kind of self-justification and hypocrisy?

Pointing a finger at the Christian Religious Cultures developed in our time or the Culture that is portrayed at this time is pretty much pointing a finger at oneself. 

There seem to be opposing cultures. Both extremes.

One set accepting anything and everything from strange music, to weird dress code, to what is allowed to be done and what is not allowed to be done. (accepting warts and all) Unfortunately there is not much difference between this and the world. And I do believe that there must be a difference. 

The other set again, is the other extreme. Very prim and proper. There is unfortunately, often a hypocritical stare at those who cannot (or do not) follow the dress code. The unfortunates are very often the genuine ones. Here too you find a rigid set of rules that are kept for Sundays and don't apply the rest of the week. The ones who fail to keep these rules rigidly are often the genuine ones. They are found to be the same Sunday to Sunday. You can meet them on the street at anytime and they will reflect the same joy at seeing you as they do at church. (sometimes amid painful circumstances). This would be outer appearance does not always reflect inner holiness. 

Then comes so often, as Dr Wilson referred to, those who seem to have so much knowledge, who bring doubt into simple minds and you have a falling away of those who cannot explain their understanding of their simple faith. 

So as in Jesus' day, you still get the hypocritical Pharisees walking about. 

2.  What kinds of hypocrisy have you personally had to struggle with the most?

Unfortunately at times much the same (see answer of first Q) It is a continuous being before the Lord and asking Him to cleanse and make whole. 

I am afraid I battle with accepting strange weird music and yet sit through it and nod my head saying, yeah not that bad,  meanwhile back in the ranch i cannot handle it at all. 

Listening to certain ministers also make my hair stand on edge. (Especially after seeing their appearance) That too is judgemental and hypocritical. 

I kneel before my God and ask for change of attitude and help to accept and let Him do the changing etc. 

3.  What is necessary for a Christian to do to escape the inaccurate "public" image of himself that he may have so carefully constructed for others (and perhaps himself) to see and believe? What is the antidote to hypocrisy?

Become real and transparent. If the public image was one that is really worldly, i. e. accepting language that is inappropriate for a Christian and other inappropriate behavior, then make this right. Go to the people concerned, who know you like that. Apologize for your inappropriate behavior. Start afresh and be and live who you really are. 

The antidote to hypocrisy is the willingness to make right, to confess our sins quickly and openly. To live what we believe and when we have done wrong, confess it (make it right) so we remain consistent. 

1John 1:9 gives us much hope. 

If we freely admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful and just [true to His own nature and promises] and will forgive our sins (dismiss our lawlessness) and continuously cleanse us from all unrighteousness  -  everything not in conformity to His will in purpose, thought and action. 

4.  How can we both live humbly in our churches and still foster high standards of behavior for ourselves and one another?
If our standards are Christ's standards, that means humbleness is one of the marked characteristics. Being humble is a high standard of behavior. 

Pride is not a good quality to have. We truly need that taken out of or uprooted from, our lives. If this is a struggle we are given advice how this can be accomplished. JAMES 5:16 says the following :

Confess to one another therefore your faults - your slips, your false steps, your offenses, your sins; and pray also for one another, that you may be healed and restored - to a spiritual tone of mind and heart. The earnest, (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available - dynamic in its working. 

This advice is not only for pride but for whatever we are struggling with. 

In this way we can have a high standard of behavior and not fall morally into corruption. 

• 1 month later...

Q1. Sometimes people add to Gods word to try and justify what they think or do. Or they may insist on following church traditions and make these a burden to people but they are not Gods word but tradition. So you have the importance of God’s word vying for its rightful place, while tradition takes over. Unfortunately many Christians are hypocrites and probably don’t know that they are. Non Christians can very quickly pull us up about non Christian behaviour.

Q2.I am afraid I am hypocritical in many areas. I sometimes surprise myself by how easily I can be less than 100% truthful and yet at other times I am very aware I need to be truthful no matter how humiliating! I can pretend all is great in my life when I am deeply worried about something, I find it hard to be open with most people. I have avoided people I know will make demands of me, yet another time I will go out of my way to help. And my list goes on and on! I am inconsistent and hypocritical. But I am a work in progress and I know I am better than I used to be by the grace of God.

Q3.The only antidote to hypocrisy is to bring the problem to God and confess our weakness and ask for help. Then go to those who have witnessed the hypocrisy and explain to them and ask their forgiveness, some will accept what we say but if they are Non Christians they may ridicule us or talk to others etc. That must not stop our efforts to try and be accountable to God and to live with integrity and transparency. Our beliefs and our actions must be consistent.

Q4.In our churches we need to love one another. In John 13v 34 -35 Jesus said A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you Love one another. Every thing else will fall into place if we truely love each other. If we love each other as Jesus told us to, we will be walking humbly in His footsteps and living to a high standard both in the church and outside. Each of us needs to guard against any behaviour which would threaten the unity within the church. Sins such as being judgemental, gossiping, being uncooperative, being proud, and being critical can erode the   Peace and stability of life in the church which can spill over into the outside world and bring disrepute on the Christian Church and ultimately on God.

• 1 month later...

1.    The scribes and Pharisees were caught in a rigid system of legalism to justify themselves before God. In what ways do our Christian religious cultures foster the same kind of self-justification and hypocrisy?

In today’s church the expectation for members to live holy lives motivate  the church leadership  to come out with a set of does and don’ts that can turn members to behave appropriately  in the church environment while outside, a different lifestyle is practiced. This can apply to some church leaders who will be hypocrites, acting as holy members in the church to impress the congregation while outside, they live unholy lifestyles.

2.    What kinds of hypocrisy have you personally had to struggle with the most?

I guess there are times I preach the need to be honest in tithing by testifying how I normally ensure I remove tithes first from my income before budgeting the balance. I guess I sometimes feel good that I am faithful in this practice, and this is hypocritic.

3.    What is necessary for a Christian to do to escape the inaccurate "public" image of himself that he may have so carefully constructed for others (and perhaps himself) to see and believe? What is the antidote to hypocrisy?

There is need for one to confess and repent once one finds himself being hypocritical and also to pray for God to help one to live a life of integrity.  

4.    How can we both live humbly in our churches and still foster high standards of behavior for ourselves and one another?

By prayerfully asking God to help us live by the leadership of the Holy Spirit who will help us live by His Spirit and not by our might or power.

• 6 months later...

1.    The scribes and Pharisees were caught in a rigid system of legalism to justify themselves before God. In what ways do our Christian religious cultures foster the same kind of self-justification and hypocrisy?

The churches of the bigger cities with well known pastors are preaching the Gospel but not helping the new believers grow. A classic example of this is Andy Stanley; his church is a seeker friendly church. However there is no real growth with its members. A church in my area is like this and there were actual people living in sin and they were not doing anything about it. However there are churches that believe in a repentant holy lifestyle for believers. 

2.    What kinds of hypocrisy have you personally had to struggle with the most?

My biggest one is with my addictions and how I make excuses for them knowing it is still sin and the sin is idolatry. 

3.    What is necessary for a Christian to do to escape the inaccurate "public" image of himself that he may have so carefully constructed for others (and perhaps himself) to see and believe? What is the antidote to hypocrisy? 

Simply being willing to be honest and choosing to repent of it and choosing to live an authentic Christian life.

4.    How can we both live humbly in our churches and still foster high standards of behavior for ourselves and one another?

Simply we learn to live the way Christ expects us to and show that it is genuine. 

• 9 months later...

What kinds of hypocrisy have you personally had to struggle with the most?

I struggle with people pleasing.  I am a coward about telling people hard truths.  I just want to get along with everyone.  However, Jesus modeled for us to tell people the truth whether they would accept it or not.  If I have surrendered my life to Jesus and worship Him, I should take courage and do as He did, regardless of what people's reactions will be.  I am a hypocrite because I say I love and follow Jesus, but I often don't stand up for what He stands for. 

How can we both live humbly in our churches and still foster high standards of behavior for ourselves and one another?

The Bible tells that when we see another brother caught up in sin, we should gently correct him.  If he will not pay attention, then we should confront him with witnesses, then take it to the elders for them to decide.  If we were humble enough to accept this correction, and humble enough to correct one another gently with the true intention of restoring the brother out of love, then we could live humbly together while still expecting the high standards taught in the Bible.  When we correct one another or receive correction, it is not really from us, but the Holy Spirit leading us by what is written in the scriptures. 

• 8 months later...

The scribes and Pharisees were caught in a rigid system of legalism to justify themselves before God. In what ways do our Christian religious cultures foster the same kind of self-justification and hypocrisy? There is great attraction to follow the appearance of righteousness of those who have been in the church longer than we. As we feed upon the principles found in the bible, understand God prefers mercy above judgement. Then we begin to coming to tears over our failures and far more prayerful for all those living in condemnation and lesser errors.

What kinds of hypocrisy have you personally had to struggle with the most? I was long in failure pray first. Watchman when misunderstood can become watchdog and subject to talking with/to people instead of with God.

What is necessary for a Christian to do to escape the inaccurate "public" image of himself that he may have so carefully constructed for others (and perhaps himself) to see and believe? An Acts 4:31 relationship with the Holy Spirit. We must listen, learn and grow in meekness and humility. It is not what I want but what Christ wants done His way through me and by me. What is the antidote to hypocrisy? Hearing the Holy Spirit correct us and taking it to heart and into self correction.

How can we both live humbly in our churches and still foster high standards of behavior for ourselves and one another? Once we realize that Moses and so many before use were meek, humble, and correctable. Then we recognize we were saved not for our have accomplished but our potential if we will accept God’s guidance and correction. We must be open about being the green alligators, long necked geese, and chimpanzees of Gods kingdom. Not the stars, not the greatest, not the highest. Just the helping hands at the bottom of the stack, learning our way. The ones we meet are welcome to come along on our voyage.