JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 10 months later...

1.  What do "large crowds" (14:25) have to do with Jesus' teaching in this passage?
Large crowds were following Jesus and this was a cause for concern. In a large crowd it is easy to just follow for the sake of following. No real conviction or maybe no deep conviction  as to why one wants to do the same. 

Jesus's teaching will make them take a look at themselves and see if this is what they really want to do. It should make them take a serious look into His teaching and that the decision will then be for real and not just because of someone else making the decision or that it is the right thing to do. Really be convicted that that is what you want to do. You want to follow Christ because you KNOW that is right. (you have counted the cost, you have weighed  the options) 

1. What do "large crowds" (14:25) have to do with Jesus' teaching in this passage? 
Jesus has huge, huge crowds following Him, and He knows that most of them are not interested in spiritual things. Some are following out of curiosity and to observe His miraculous power. Others heard that He fed the hungry and a few even hoped that He would overthrow Rome and establish David’s kingdom. What He really wanted was disciples to follow Him who would be fully committed to Him. So, He needed to thin out the crowds. He did this by teaching them in three parables, not to take discipleship lightly as there is a price to pay. 

2. How can we rightfully honour our father and our mother, and at the same time not water down Jesus' command to hate them? (14:26)
What is meant here is that we do not love our family less, or even hate them, but that we love our Lord Jesus more than them. We love Jesus supremely, even more than we love our own flesh and blood. Hate used here is Jewish hyperbole meaning “to love less”. We still honour and love our father and mother but we love Jesus more. An example is seen in Gen 29:31, when Jacob says he hates Leah but he loves Rachel. He does not hate Leah, it’s just that he loves her less than Rachel, but he still loves Leah as she is still his wife and he has more children with her. Jesus even goes so far as to say that we must hate our own lives and be willing to bear the cross after Him. Our love for Christ must be so strong that all other love is like hatred in comparison. 

3. What does "carrying your cross" having to do with "hating your own life"? (14:26b-27) 
To “carry your cross” means that in following Jesus Christ we deliberately choose to live the life He lived. We do this by recognising His lordship in every area of our life, and we die spiritually to self and the things of this world. This involves us loving Jesus supremely, perhaps forsaking family, a complete dependence on God and obedience to the Holy Spirit, maybe even becoming unpopular and hated, suffering for righteousness' sake, and living an unselfish life for others. We live to glorify our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. It also signifies a willingness to actually die for the name of Christ if need be. For this to happen we must “hate your own life”. If we are to become true disciples of His then we must die to selfishness, ambition and pride. Forget about our selfish, self-centred, self-satisfied, routine, petty existence of satisfying our desires and appetites by living in comfort, luxury, and ease. We are to seek His kingdom and His righteousness yielding ourselves unreservedly to Him. 
But it also involves laying hold of life that is life indeed! It means finding at last the reason for our existence. 

4. What is the point of the Parable of Building the Tower? (14:28-30) 
The point of this parable is that discipleship involves careful assessment of both our resources and our willingness to go all the way with our Lord Jesus. Making absolutely sure that we are willing to make the needed sacrifices to accept what is demanded of us. In the same way a builder needs to count the costs and the resources required to build before he even starts the building project. If not his building may be left half-completed. Jesus gave this lesson to those who follow our Lord without first thinking and considering what God demands of us in following Him. To become a nominal Christian is not too difficult or too inconvenient or too costly – it is rather easy. But to be a disciple costs something. It will cost us our sins, and our self-righteousness, and our ease, and our worldliness. Whatever is demanded of us we must be prepared to give it up. So, we must carefully count the cost of becoming Christ’s disciple so that we will know what we are getting ourselves into, and that we will not be tempted to turn back when the going gets tough. To hear Christ’s voice, and follow Christ, and believe in Christ, and confess Christ requires much self-denial. 

6. What do Jesus words about "giving up everything he has" (14:33) have to do with owning a house and car? With purchasing a refrigerator? With seeking an academic degree? 
To be a disciple of Jesus demands total devotion, all-out loyalty, complete self-denial, so that we place ourselves, our time, our earthly possessions, our talents, our all, at His disposal. To give up everything we have does not mean we have to get rid of everything and that we cannot possess anything. It does mean that everything we have is for His use. Our house becomes His house, my car becomes His car, my refrigerator becomes His refrigerator. Our academic degree as well as our possessions are used to the glory of our Heavenly Father. 

7. What does saltiness represent in 14:34? Should people be able to tell that you are a Christian? How? How can we walk the fine line between being a witness and coming across "holier than thou"? 
Saltiness represents the total commitment, dedication, and sincerity of a disciple towards the Lord Jesus Christ. Without this saltiness we are worthless. If people have to ask us whether we are a Christian, in that they could not see it from our actions, it can only mean that we have become conformed to the world around us. It is a sad state of affairs, and it needs us to question our loyalty to Christ. This could be a wake-up call. We might have back-slidden and need to make sure Jesus is still above everything in our life, and that we are useful to God. What we do and say should be enough for all to see that we are dedicated to our Lord Jesus Christ, and it does not need us to act unnaturally as a “holier than thou” Christian. They should be able to see Jesus in us, as we are. 

2.  How can we rightfully honor our father and our mother, and at the same time not water down Jesus' command to hate them? (14:26)

Yeshua's words were intended to shock and challenge. He is using a hyperbole though. Because they are so drastic, they are nor forgotten. So when we come to honoring our parents we do that in such a manner as nor to idolize them and also remember that obedience to Yeshua takes priority above all else. 

4.  What is the point of the Parable of Building the Tower? (14:28-30)

Some of the people in the crowd that were following Christ were following for the sake of following. No real commitment. 

The point of the Parable was to get them to the point of thinking of the "cost" involved to be a disciple. 

It demands complete commitment. 

Only if they were prepared for that kind of commitment were they to start the discipleship journey. 

5.  What is the point of the Parable of Assessing Military Strength? (14:31-32)

This Parable too is about considering whether you really want to become a disciple. The will of God must always take priority in your life. Are you willing to truly give following Christ your all. Again it is all your resources or nothing. 

4 & 5. (This is another way of looking at the two parables) 

The first parable is counting the cost for building something (for construction). Can He, i.e., Christ, count on us to build His Church with, after we have indeed counted the cost for discipleship. Will we remain standing for Him. 

The second parable is counting the cost of going to war. (breaking down something). The opposing forces are double in number. The king going into battle would be the one counting the cost or the strength of his troops. Are they strong enough to STAND, inspite of the opposing numbers. 

Yes the desciple would need to count the cost and check himself out. Is he able to stand in the battle and not give in. Can he be a soldier for Christ in this battle. 

6.  What do Jesus words about "giving up everything he has" (14:33) have to do with owning a house and car? With purchasing a refrigerator? With seeking an academic degree?

Personally I feel, our all is then in His Hands. Whatever we purchase or propose to do be it career-oriented or in the work-field, it should all be for His Glory and not just for our need. 

Hanks has described it very aptly. 

7.  What does saltiness represent in 14:34? Should people be able to tell that you are a Christian? How? How can we walk the fine line between being a witness and coming across "holier than thou"?

Salt does not cure corruption but prevents the spread of corruption.

It was/is used for flavouring and preservation on the one hand.

Also it was/is used on the land for fertilizer (there are different types of salt, not just salt for the "table"). Even for fertilizer there are different 'salt' for the roots, the plant itself etc.

Then salt was used for the manure heap. 

The salt that had lost its flavor was good enough to be trampled on. 

Yes, our lives should portray us to be different and useful for God to use us. 

Eg. it is often found that bad talk is stopped in the presence of someone who is a Christian. In that sense by their presence corruption is prevented from spreading. 

• 2 months later...

What do "large crowds" (14:25) have to do with Jesus' teaching in this passage?

A. The “large crowds” are probably only there because they are seeing something happening and they want to be there for that. It doesn’t mean that their hearts are into believing our Savior.

How can we rightfully honor our father and our mother, and at the same time not water down Jesus' command to hate them? (14:26)

A. We can honor our father and mother by not putting them first in our lives. We need to put Jesus first in our lives.

What does "carrying your cross" having to do with "hating your own life"? (14:26b-27)

A. It means that we are willing to die for Jesus because we are making him more important than our lives.

What is the point of the Parable of Building the Tower? (14:28-30)

A. If we are to follow Jesus we are to put our all into it. If start to follow him and the worldly things get in the way, then we will probably be worse off than we were before.

What is the point of the Parable of Assessing Military Strength? (14:31-32)

A. We are to make sure that we have the strength in order to follow Jesus because it may get pretty rough once in a while.

What do Jesus words about "giving up everything he has" (14:33) have to do with owning a house and car? With purchasing a refrigerator? With seeking an academic degree?

A. It means giving up everything that does not include Jesus.

What does saltiness represent in 14:34? Should people be able to tell that you are a Christian? How? How can we walk the fine line between being a witness and coming across "holier than thou"?

A. They can tell by your actions. If you are exercising your God given gifts, which in my case at this time in my life is helping the senior citizens, then they will be able to see the saltiness in your life.

• 1 month later...

Q1. Jesus had a reputation in the area everyone wanted to see Him and find out why people were so attracted to Him. Unfortunately for many it was no more than an idle curiosity and would go no deeper. 
Q2. Jesus is using hyperbole in this passage to get across to those listening just how serious a commitment to follow Him is to be taken. This does not in anyway go against the commandment to “ Honour your father and your mother “. Exodus 20v12.This must be obeyed at all times. The only times we can go against our parents is if they were telling us to do something contrary to God’s law.?

Q3.When we are carrying our cross we are doing things God’s way and not giving into our own selfish lazy ways.

Q4.Before anyone starts to build anything the will first of all decide how much money and time they have spare to put into the project. If a person doesn’t have enough money or time the project has to be put off until the resources are available. In this parable Jesus is teaching about the commitment that is needed to be a true follower of Jesus rather than a nominal Christian. There is no point in starting out without assessing whether we will be able to follow through. However I wonder does any person know what it is going to cost them before they commit themselves to God. I know I had no idea , I just knew I wanted Him in my life, and off I went, not expecting any difficulties ahead. How immature I was even though I was forty! Praise God He has never left me or forsaken me.

Q5.This parable also teaches about making sure you have sufficient resources before starting a project but to be wise if you find you have not enough. Back down if there is not enough resources. If we are to follow Jesus our commitment is to be wholehearted and faithful. No half measure.

Q6.When we are fully committed to Jesus we acknowledge that everything we have comes from Him and belongs to Him. This means we will pray about buying a new car, or house or anything. I sometimes pray if I am picking a dress or a coat and say to Jesus “ if this is right and ok let my size be there”. Sometimes it is sometimes it is not, either way it is good. It takes all worry or anxiety out of the everyday things of life, if God wants it to happen it will , if not, it is not His will for it to happen. 
Q7.As Christians we need to be as salt bringing flavour to life. We do this by being kind to people, being helpful, open, friendly. Treat everyone the same. Willing to help people. Working to represent Christ. Yes people should be able to tell I am a Christian, I try to ‘ nail my colours to the mast’ if I am in a new place or situation. I don’t preach or try not to. If I hear the Lord’s name taken, I do make a comment. Usually people will become aware not to do it in my presence, and hopefully think before using His precious name anywhere. I try not to be judgemental. When asked out when I was working , I would go to the meal but decline to go to the pub or nightclub. This was accepted and I don’t think it interfered with relationships. There were times when people would come and ask for prayer because they knew I was Christian. I tried not to work Sunday, when questioned it gave me an opportunity to explain that I didn’t like to miss going to church, some people definitely thought I was a bit odd especially as we got paid double money! But they got used to it and were very happy to work my Sundays . It can be a fine line between being a witness and appearing “holier than thou”. It also can be hard at times to use those times to speak about what I do believe and why I act in a certain way. But every act or word said in His name honours Him. 

• 1 month later...

1.    What do "large crowds" (14:25) have to do with Jesus' teaching in this passage?

A large crowd followed Jesus but only few were ready to hear the truth and obey. So he challenged them through his teaching.

2.    How can we rightfully honor our father and our mother, and at the same time not water down Jesus' command to hate them? (14:26)

Jesus did not actually teach hating parents or relatives. He meant that priority should be given to him in all our decisions. It is all about seeking the kingdom of God first….

3.    What does "carrying your cross" having to do with "hating your own life"? (14:26b-27)

Being a disciple of Jesus involves suffering and even death just as Jesus suffered and literally carried his cross to his death. Disciples should thus be ready to suffer and even die in the cause of following him.

4.    What is the point of the Parable of Building the Tower? (14:28-30)

Following Jesus requires examining the cost from the beginning to end to determine whether we will be able to go all the way to the finishing line.

5.    What is the point of the Parable of Assessing Military Strength? (14:31-32)

6.    What do Jesus words about "giving up everything he has" (14:33) have to do with owning a house and car? With purchasing a refrigerator? With seeking an academic degree?

This certainly does not mean that we cannot own things that will help meet our basic needs. It however means that no cost should be too much for us to bear in the cause of following.

7.    What does saltiness represent in 14:34? Should people be able to tell that you are a Christian? How? How can we walk the fine line between being a witness and coming across "holier than thou"?

It means being able to have and maintain our Christian character that can positively impact on others and drawn them to Christ.

• 6 months later...

1.    What do "large crowds" (14:25) have to do with Jesus' teaching in this passage?

A large crowd is the ones are the only ones who are after the miracles that He does not to learn from Him.

2.    How can we rightfully honor our father and our mother, and at the same time not water down Jesus' command to hate them? (14:26)

Jesus meant that He is to be number one in priorities in our lives and learning to obey Him but also to put no one above or before HIm. 

3.    What does "carrying your cross" having to do with "hating your own life"? (14:26b-27)

Being a disciple of Jesus means that you may suffer persecution, ridicule, discrimination and even death because of our faith and also because the world hated Him they will hate us. 

4.    What is the point of the Parable of Building the Tower? (14:28-30)

Following Jesus means learning to examine not only the cost but priorities to see if we will follow through with what we say. 

5.    What is the point of the Parable of Assessing Military Strength? (14:31-32)

It means relying on Him as our true source of strength when we choose to obey Him.

6.    What do Jesus words about "giving up everything he has" (14:33) have to do with owning a house and car? With purchasing a refrigerator? With seeking an academic degree?

What He means by this is that nothing should become an idol to us and that we are to keep our priorities in proper order so that nothing stops us from serving Him.

7.    What does saltiness represent in 14:34? Should people be able to tell that you are a Christian? How? How can we walk the fine line between being a witness and coming across "holier than thou"?

Saltiness is about how we appear and look to the world. They need to tell us apart from the ones who don't believe. Through both actions and words and our walk. By learning to keep in the word and continually obeying the Lord no matter what. 

• 9 months later...

What do "large crowds" (14:25) have to do with Jesus' teaching in this passage?

It seems like at times, Jesus is trying to thin the crowds down by saying unpopular things, so that those who are not true followers will go home.  He is separating the wheat from the chaff. 

What does "carrying your cross" having to do with "hating your own life"? (14:26b-27)

We must die to ourselves and surrender our life in order to follow Jesus, therefore, we hate, or despise our own life. 

What is the point of the Parable of Building the Tower? (14:28-30)

If you think about it in light of carrying our cross, we have to realize that again, we must give up everything to follow Christ.  We can't know in advance what we will actually sacrifice in order to follow Him.  We give it up spiritually, in advance, on the day we give our life to Him, and also many times after that as our hearts latch back on to the things of this world.  Sometimes these things are removed physically and sometimes they remain.  It is a reminder that following Christ is not easy and will not result in an easy, comfortable life in this world.  Our Lord and Savior was persecuted and we can expect nothing except the same. 

What does saltiness represent in 14:34? Should people be able to tell that you are a Christian? How? How can we walk the fine line between being a witness and coming across "holier than thou"?

I hope that people would be able to tell that I am a Christian.  That seems to be the reputation that precedes me.  I don't think I am a very good witness as sometimes I fall into gossiping at work or idle talk.  But I do notice that people seem to be predisposed to talk to me about religious matters and I think that must be because they see something in me that I don't see in myself.  I try to represent Christ well but I fail all the time.  I think the important thing about not coming across holier than thou is to examine our own spiritual pride and ask God to keep us humble.  Jesus is the judge, not us.  

• 6 months later...
  1. What do "large crowds" (14:25) have to do with Jesus' teaching in this passage? We have tremendous followers of Christian religion but few committed to putting self desire on the tree daily and following Jesus leading.
  2. How can we rightfully honor our father and our mother, and at the same time not water down Jesus' command to hate them? (14:26) Our parents brought us into the world to honor their name, reputation, and values. To be a faithful disciple of Jesus is the highest compliment to their parenting. They may not think so at the first.
  3. What does "carrying your cross" having to do with "hating your own life"? (14:26b-27) Are we lead by our desires or by Christ's. Which do we chose to put aside.
  4. What is the point of the Parable of Building the Tower? (14:28-30) You can not finish what you do not have sufficient foundation, materials or funding. With the Lord he promises the supply for his work, not for our whims.
  5. What is the point of the Parable of Assessing Military Strength? (14:31-32) In worldly things take great care in evaluating the strength opposing you. Best to come to agreement than be destroyed. Even an adversary values a sound support of one keeping their word.
  6. What do Jesus words about "giving up everything he has" (14:33) have to do with owning a house and car? With purchasing a refrigerator? With seeking an academic degree? For me it has and is clearing out the huge collection of hobby and technical things that are either trophies or toys. For imagined future pleasurable projects. I was asked did I own them or did they own me? They are being disposed of. What you actually need to care for family, have needed safe transportation is no issue. I have a ministry friend who felt a certain large double cab pick up was what be needed for his high mile annual ministry work. Might look excessive. In know a top level corporate quality improvement engineer for that automaker. The vehcle is designed for 200,000 mile trouble free service. Quality is the Lords business, fancy looking not so. God put on his heart what would serve him well. It is over 200,000 miles now in its second year and no issues.
  7. What does saltiness represent in 14:34? Our ability to preserve society. Have good effect. Should people be able to tell that you are a Christian? Yes.   How? Our inner light should shine.  How can we walk the fine line between being a witness and coming across "holier than thou"? Say and do only what the Holy Spirit guides. He will give us the words to speak. And guide us when we have done enough. Some break fallow ground, some plow, some plant seed, some water, some harvest. We need to do our particular tasking with each individual as needed to God’s result, in God’s timing, not for our self image.