JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

78. Pharisee, Publican

• 1 year later...

1. What makes us confident in our own righteousness? (18:9) Have you ever known anyone like this? Been this way yourself? What causes it? What are the symptoms?

Righteous living is When we try to or do observe a set of rules which have high moral standards; Genuinely are careful to be sincere and live God-fearing lives and obey God as we understand His laws; When we are not part of the worldly "class";  When we seem to be in the world but not part of the world.  

As soon as the above lifestyle is trusted in to save us and justify us before God, then we are trusting in our own righteousness. That is when we become like that Pharisee. 

Pride causes us to think like that. 

As soon as we look down on others or think ourselves to be better than they are. 

2. In what ways do twenty-first century Christians look down on others? Who are the people we look down on? How does this grieve Jesus' heart? How does it injure the cause of Jesus' church?

We easily ignore those people, either by making as if they don't exist or by shunning them when we do happen to come across them. 

People that are looked down on are punk rockers, people with body piercings and weird clothing, pregnant teenagers or unmarried women who are pregnant, divorced men or women, gamblers and junkies, emigrants and illegal foreigners, those of a different religion, big families (more than four children), poor people, homeless people (who have a strange odor about them),  people easily mistrusted because they are known to steal (they generally have a furtive look about them), etc. 

Jesus died for us all and loves us all. I bet it grieves Him. Just as it does us if one that we love is different and not accepted in society. 

The people looked down on do not easily seek for help from the "church" because of this fact. They do not trust them either and also look down on them again. (vicious circle) 

1. What makes us confident in our own righteousness? (18:9) Have you ever known anyone like this? Been this way yourself? What causes it? What are the symptoms? 
We look upon ourselves as being an upright person who lives a good clean life, and who will never intentionally hurt anyone. We go to church nearly every Sunday, and more. We serve on various church committees, we have certain leadership roles, and we have our own weekly Bible study group at home. All this gives us the confidence in our own righteousness and allows us to boast of our own religious achievements. We look down upon others in our community and pride ourselves on being better than them. Yes, unfortunately we very often come across these self-righteous Christians in church. Outwardly they seem to live a righteous life, but inwardly they trust self rather than God. Have I been this way? Yes, I’m ashamed to say. This has happened on occasion when I get an inflated opinion of who I am – instead of remembering that I’m a sinner saved by grace! Symptoms – we look down upon others instead of comparing ourselves with God’s perfect standard and realising how sinful we really are, and how desperately we need a Saviour. Also, pride, self-centeredness, stupidity, ignorance, trust in our own good deeds/works, not realising our own sinful state, and not realising our total dependence on our Lord. Only His death on the cross is able to cleanse us and make us acceptable to God. 

2. In what ways do twenty-first century Christians look down on others? Who are the people we look down on? How does this grieve Jesus' heart? How does it injure the cause of Jesus' church? 
We don’t treat them like we normally would another, we look down upon them, we neglect them, and consider them inferior to us. The main ones are the poor, the down and out, the beggars, the nobodies. Money talks. I’ve seen this so often even in our churches. As soon as they hear you are wealthy they welcome, even the pastor goes out of his way to greet you. On par with money, is status, and power. If you don’t have it you are classified as a nobody. The different religions (not on the same level of holiness) and races are also looked down upon, as we see them as inferior to ours. This grieves Jesus’ heart as there is only one standard for comparison and that is God Himself, since we all fall short of His glory (Romans 3:23). This attitude harms the church in that there is no outreaching to the local community. The church might as well be a tennis club. Once we start thinking we are better than others, we are probably trusting in our own good works, not in the grace of God. 

3. What did the Pharisee's prayer consist of? What does that tell us about him? (18:11-12) What did the tax collector's prayer consist of? What do his prayer and his body language tell us about him? (18:13). 
He prayed that he was a moral man unlike other men. As Jesus said (18:11) he was praying about himself, and his prayer would have of consisted of praising himself for being honest, of treating people fairly, of being just in all his dealings with people, of being faithful in marriage, and of being a decent person by not being greedy or self-centred. His prayer mentions God only once, but “I” four times! This tells me that he was praying to himself, not to God, and to be heard by others. He was only going through the motions of prayer, boasting of his own moral and religious achievements. There was no asking for forgiveness of sin (believing he has nothing to confess), and there’s not a word of praise or thanksgiving to God. The tax collector on the other hand, humbled himself, and approached God’s throne of grace, acknowledging that he is an unworthy sinner pleading for mercy, and hoping to find grace in his time of need (Heb 4:16). He humbled himself before God, and came as he was, an unworthy sinner, with no merit in himself. We see this in his body language: he wouldn’t even come as far into the temple as the proud Pharisee did, he stood at some distance, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, and he beat his breast, showing his true sorrow for what he had done. 

4. Extra Credit. In what way can the forgiveness of gross sin feel like a threat to the righteous person? How can the righteous person avoid feeling threatened? Should Christians consider themselves righteous persons? Is this consistent with humility? 
The self-righteous person will feel betrayed/disappointed. He has worked so hard to attain his level of righteousness, and if all is forgiven, then all his hard work was for nothing. To avoid feeling threatened he must realise that all his good deeds are like filthy rags to God. There is nothing he can do to earn forgiveness of sin. Should Christians consider themselves righteous? Psalm 143:2 tells us that in God’s sight there is no living person righteous. So, no way can he consider himself righteous. He can only come to God acknowledging his sin and accept Christ as his Saviour from sin, then God imputes His own righteousness to him. This is consistent with humility, for he comes as a broken-hearted, self-confessed sinner, humble, unworthy, trusting only in God’s atonement. 

5. In what way (if any) does looking down on a sinner constitute a sin? Does forgiveness from this sin require humbling? What kind of humbling is appropriate? If Jesus were in the confessional speaking to you about this, what penance should He prescribe for your sin? 
In Matthew 3:5 Jesus says: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven”, meaning that we must admit that we have nothing to offer God, and that we come to Him as empty, impoverished, despised, bankrupt, desperate beggars. We must recognise our sinful condition and acknowledge our own helplessness and reliance on God’s mercy. Looking down on a sinner, when we ourselves are a sinner, perhaps even a greater sinner, is the height of hypocrisy and a dreadful sin. The only right way to approach God is as a humble unworthy sinner pleading for mercy. That is the only way any of us can come to God, because that is what we all are - unworthy sinners who deserve His judgment. If we plead for mercy on the basis of Jesus Christ who shed His blood to pay the penalty we deserve, God will declare, “Not guilty!”. And perhaps say “Go, sin no more”. Wow, what a gift! To be made instantly righteous without any works, without any merit, without any worthiness, religious achievement, spiritual accomplishment or ritual. No time lapse, no penance, no works, no ceremony, no sacrament, no meritorious activity whatsoever, nothing to do, instant declaration of justification on the spot, permanent. This is the only righteousness that God will accept, a perfect righteousness not earned, and given as a gift to those who put their trust in Him. 

3.  What did the Pharisee's prayer consist of? What does that tell us about him? (18:11-12) What did the tax collector's prayer consist of? What do his prayer and his body language tell us about him? (18:13).

The Pharisee took his place in such a way that he would be seen by others. His prayer was to God but about himself. First he thanked God for what/who he was not. All very definately evil types. Including in the end also that he was not working for the enemies, the Romans, as a tax collector. Then it concludes by reminding God that he does not neglect tithing. It tells us that he was a morally good  man and also very pious. But unfortunately also one who was very proud of himself and looked down on others. (It almost cancels out the good). 

The Tax-collector also prays to God but he calls himself a sinner and pleads for mercy. For him to be bold enough to come to stand where he did, shows he was clearly sorry for his way of life, he was repentant and desired his relationship with God to be restored. 

He stood at a distance, with his eyes cast down. Beating his breast.

He was not trying to draw attention to himself or to who he was. It shows he felt his guilt. He genuinely came to request God for forgiveness? One can sense his humility and guilt in his actions. 

4. In what way can the forgiveness of gross sin feel like a threat to the righteous person?

If the so called righteous person is confident in himself to have attained this lifestyle on his own merits, i.e., he worked for it {although we do read that our righteousness is as filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6)} then I guess this forgiveness of sin, without any works can be looked on jelously by this person. 

Righteous living does not forgive sin. We are forgiven because Christ paid the price. 

How can the righteous person avoid feeling threatened?

If the so called righteous person is not confident in himself to live this righteous life or prideful because of it, then I don't think the forgiveness of gross sin will pose a threat but will rather prove joyous to him, for he too experienced that forgiveness. 

Should Christians consider themselves righteous persons? Is this consistent with humility?

It is only because of forgiveness freely given that we are justified before God. It has nothing to do with what we have done. It is when pride comes into the right living that it is in fact no more a righteous life. Right living with humility (knowing it is not our own doing) before God is what is needed. 

5. In what way (if any) does looking down on a sinner constitute a sin?

If we look down on somebody, that means we think or make as if we are better than what they are, meanwhile it is, there but for the grace of God, go I. It is pride that has reared its ugly head and that is sin. 

Does forgiveness from this sin require humbling? What kind of humbling is appropriate?

We do need to humble ourselves before God and ask Him to help us. Alone we cannot attain this. We need Him to help us to love unconditionally. He alone can help us accept that we are all the same, sinners in need of forgiveness. 

If Jesus were in the confessional speaking to you about this, what penance should he prescribe for your sin?

Jesus has paid the price. He forgives and says, Go sin no more. 

• 1 month later...

What makes us confident in our own righteousness? (18:9) Have you ever known anyone like this? Been this way yourself? What causes it? What are the symptoms?

A. Thinking that we are doing everything that we think that God has put on us is what makes us righteous. I have known people like that and sometimes I have been like that.

In what ways do twenty-first century Christians look down on others? Who are the people we look down on? How does this grieve Jesus' heart? How does it injure the cause of Jesus' church?

A. We look down on those that are poor, thief’s, prostitutes, and those that don’t believe the way that I do. I know this grieve Jesus’ heart. It injures the cause of the church because we don’t go out and try to evangelize them.

What did the Pharisee's prayer consist of? What does that tell us about him? (18:11-12) What did the tax collector's prayer consist of? What do his prayer and his body language tell us about him? (18:13).

A. It consisted of congratulating himself for being self-righteous. This tells me that he is a prod man. The tax collector’s prayer consisted of asking for forgiveness. It tells me that he was humbling himself before God.

Extra Credit. In what way can the forgiveness of gross sin feel like a threat to the righteous person? How can the righteous person avoid feeling threatened? Should Christians consider themselves righteous persons? Is this consistent with humility?

A. Forgiveness of a gross sin is a threat to the righteous person because that person thinks that he been doing everything right all the time and to forgive somebody who has ignored the law and then is forgiven is not right. We are only righteous because of Jesus made  us that way and we didn’t have much to do with it.

In what way (if any) does looking down on a sinner constitute a sin? Does forgiveness from this sin require humbling? What kind of humbling is appropriate? If Jesus were in the confessional speaking to you about this, what penance should he prescribe for your sin?

A. That sinner is a son of God and we should not condemn them. Forgiveness of sin does require humbling. If Jesus were in the confessional speaking to me, he would tell me to repent and sin no more.

• 3 months later...

Q1. When we feel we are being Holy and upright in our own strength then we have confidence in our righteousness. Yes I know Christians who are like that and I am also guilty of being like that on more than one occasion. I think I am like that when I see someone who is haphazard about going to church and prayer meetings. I can feel superior because I was in attendance. If I see someone doing something wrong, I can think ‘how awful, I wouldn’t dream of doing that!’ But forget to remember the sin I do commit! Our pride can be a cause and a symptom, feelings of superiority, our lack of understanding of our unworthiness before God,  Maybe I have taken my eyes off God? Concentrating on laws rather than my relationship with God. Thinking that I will be justified before God by my upright life.

Q2.We tend to look down on those who have different beliefs because we believe “ Jesus is the way, the truth and the life”, No one comes to the Father except through Him. But looking down on them will not bring them to Christ! We tend to look down on those who are not as fortunate as we are: the poor in our society, those with addictions, the Homeless especially when they are unclean. As Christians we should look down on nobody we are supposed to be like Jesus , and as we know He sought out those on the edge of society and spent time with them and ate with them. Jesus looked down on no one He sees each one He has created as special and loved. We cause Him sorrow when we don’t act as He would have done. It injures the church by putting people off wanting to have anything to do with us as we can be seen as snobby and unloving. 
Q3.The Pharisee prayed about himself, his thoughts were entirely about his own righteousness. He thanks God that he isn’t like other people who are sinners. He was full of his own self righteousness. He was proud. He was also living a good life but had become more focused on the law rather than on God. The tax collection was very different to the Pharisee, he was so aware of his sinfulness that he didn’t lift his eyes up, kept his head bowed and struck his breast. He confessed that he was a sinner. He asked God to have mercy on him.

Q4.Forgiveness of gross sin may feel like a threat if a person feels his righteousness is his own doing and not something that God has provided us with through the suffering of His precious Son. We will not feel threatened if we fully realise that we too have been forgiven all our sins and been clothed in God’s righteousness, and this is nothing we have contributed to in any way.’All our righteousness acts are like filthy rags.’ Isaiah 64v 6b. We can feel righteous in a humble way, knowing we have been privileged to be given the righteousness of God through the suffering and death of Jesus. 
Q5.Looking down on others is definitely a sin! Jesus never showed favouritism and treated everyone the same. As followers of Jesus we must do the same. If we look down on others it is pride and a sin. We have nothing to be proud about, we are all sinners who have had the privilege of being saved by the precious blood of Christ. Therefore we should be humble and praise full and working to do what we can to draw others to Jesus and not be feeling superior and looking down on those less fortunate than ourselves. I think Jesus would tell me to go and work with those I look down on. 

• 1 month later...

1.    What makes us confident in our own righteousness? (18:9) Have you ever known anyone like this? Been this way yourself? What causes it? What are the symptoms?

Pride makes us confident in our own righteousness and acts. I am one of such and think I do that unconsciously. I will prayerfully avoid that now.

2.    In what ways do twenty-first century Christians look down on others? Who are the people we look down on? How does this grieve Jesus' heart? How does it injure the cause of Jesus' church?

I think some of us in the 21 century compare how we serve and worship God and think we are a lot better and thus look down at those are not doing as much. I may think I attend all the church weekly programmes, respond to call to offer some services for example to give money for some needs in the church or community etc and feel proud. This study is reminding me that the Lord is not happy with such attitude especially if it leads me to look down at others who do not do as much as I do.

3.    What did the Pharisee's prayer consist of? What does that tell us about him? (18:11-12) What did the tax collector's prayer consist of? What do his prayer and his body language tell us about him? (18:13).

The Pharisee’s prayer consisted most his righteous acts and the things he does do but the tax collectors and sinners do. This shows pride.

On the other hand, the tax collector presented himself as a sinner unworthy to stand before the Lord God and asked fro mercy and forgiveness. This demonstrates humility.

• 7 months later...

1.    What makes us confident in our own righteousness? (18:9) Have you ever known anyone like this? Been this way yourself? What causes it? What are the symptoms?

That we can save ourselves and make ourselves clean. Yes. Once.  We choose to look down on others because we think we are better than them. Looking down on others, parading around as humble and even saying you are when you are not.

2.    In what ways do twenty-first century Christians look down on others? Who are the people we look down on? How does this grieve Jesus' heart? How does it injure the cause of Jesus' church?

I think some of us consider others as worse than others. We consider that others need God more than we do. We look down on those who don't believe and those who don't do enough. It causes Him to yearn for us to quit doing it. Divides it and causes strife.

3.    What did the Pharisee's prayer consist of? What does that tell us about him? (18:11-12) What did the tax collector's prayer consist of? What do his prayer and his body language tell us about him? (18:13).

Pharisee's prayer was full of pride and self-righteousness where he said thank God I am not like that lowly tax collector and that I tithe and so on. Pride and self-righteousness. He could not even look up towards heaven and asked God to have mercy on him. A spirit of humility.

• 6 months later...

In what ways do twenty-first century Christians look down on others? Who are the people we look down on? How does this grieve Jesus' heart? How does it injure the cause of Jesus' church?

I think most of us look down on others who are different from ourselves.  Anyone who is not like us, we look down on for being different from us.  It is the universal sin of pride.  Even the poor look down on those who are rich for being materialistic, greedy, and selfish.  As a middle class person, I find myself looking down on people who commit sins I do not struggle with such as drug addiction, rape, murder.  I also find myself looking down on the rich and famous for their materialistic, ungodly lifestyles.  This grieves Jesus' heart because he never told us to look down on people but rather to reach out to them with the hope of the gospel.  Looking down on them only drives them away from Jesus, therefore, injuring the cause of the church, which is to expand His Kingdom. 

Extra Credit. In what way can the forgiveness of gross sin feel like a threat to the righteous person? How can the righteous person avoid feeling threatened? Should Christians consider themselves righteous persons? Is this consistent with humility?

This reminds me of the elder brother in the prodigal son.  He was angry when his brother came back and was received joyfully.  We should be reminded of the advice given him-Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours.  We are blessed beyond measure, not threatened because someone else receives salvation.  We are blessed all the more because one more has entered the Kingdom of God.  It is not for us to shut the gates.  As mentioned earlier in the discussion, we are imputed with Christ's righteousness so I guess we can consider ourselves righteous once we have trusted in Him for salvation.  This is consistent with humility because it is Christ's righteousness and not our own.  Our own righteousness is filthy rags.  

In what way (if any) does looking down on a sinner constitute a sin? Does forgiveness from this sin require humbling? What kind of humbling is appropriate? If Jesus were in the confessional speaking to you about this, what penance should he prescribe for your sin?

Looking down on others is sinful because it is prideful.  Since it is prideful, it does require humbling.  As I mentioned earlier, I think people look down on others they find different.  I think Jesus would say go and love those different people.  Take care of them and share the gospel with them so that they may receive salvation.  He did say these things.  

• 5 months later...
  1. What makes us confident in our own righteousness? I am confident in the grace Christ paid for me. Only that.. (18:9) Have you ever known anyone like this? Many. Been this way yourself? It is always a temptation to move self to importance not up on your personal cross.  What causes it? Failure to be guided by the holy spirit and moving forward on our own understanding.  What are the symptoms? Not hearing the still small voice.
  2. In what ways do twenty-first century Christians look down on others? As in all centuries before those who adopt the label of christian without developing the content. Who are the people we look down on? I tend to look down on self righteous christians and shepherds fleecing their flocks. Eze 34 applies. I need to be praying for them.  How does this grieve Jesus' heart? He paid the price for all the friut on the vine, not just the best looking.   How does it injure the cause of Jesus' church? The poor will always be with you. Not the rich. Best pay heed to their need of salvation.
  3. What did the Pharisee's prayer consist of? Me Me Me I I I What does that tell us about him?He was about self not others.  (18:11-12) What did the tax collector's prayer consist of? Forgive me for I so need it from you. What do his prayer and his body language tell us about him? (18:13).He was humble before the Lord.
  4. Extra Credit. In what way can the forgiveness of gross sin feel like a threat to the righteous person? They fail to understand the great sin of the zealous Saul of Tarsis.  How can the righteous person avoid feeling threatened? Understand where that righteousness price was paid for, and by who. Should Christians consider themselves righteous persons? If we see plainly Jesus paid for and provides it. Not we by any self actions.  Is this consistent with humility? Yes.
  5. In what way (if any) does looking down on a sinner constitute a sin? I elevates everyones worst sin. Self. Does forgiveness from this sin require humbling? It requires honesty with God. You may require humbling if you are not yet humble. What kind of humbling is appropriate? What ever causes one to learn their lesson of the constant danger of self. If Jesus were in the confessional speaking to you about this, what penance should he prescribe for your sin? Verse three of old rugged cross. Lay down your trophies to your self.