JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 year later...

2. In the Parable of the Talents each of the servants had huge sums to work with. In the Parable of the Pounds each has only $7800 or so. Why is Jesus emphasizing this test of faithfulness as a "small matter"? (19:17b) What is large by comparison?

It was not  the amounts that was looked at but the faithfulness of the servants. They proved dependable and trustworthy and could be entrusted with more. 

3. Why was the master so delighted with the servants who earned 10-fold and 5-fold on his tiny investment? Was it the money or something else? (19:15-19)

He was delighted, as this reflected the faithfulness and dependability of those subjects. 

It was definitely not the money as he had just given them a small amount to work with. It was character he was interested in. 

4. What do the unproductive servant's words tell us about his character? (19:20-21) Why was the master so disgusted with the unproductive servant who never traded with his portion? (19:22-23)

Quite brazen to be able to speak to his master like that. Dr Ralph calls it bold. Also possibly lazy in doing nothing with it. Without those bold words one would say he was scared he'd lose it so kept it in safe keeping. 

The master in turn took him to be wicked and worthless for not having traded with it or for not having deposited it into the bank for safe-keeping and earning interest. 

The servants actions can definitely be seen as rebellious. There was definately no show of faithfulness and productivity on his part. 

5.. In what way does this Parable promise us more if we need it to develop the Lord's work? What are the conditions? (19:26)

If we use what we have then we can expect an increase. By shelving what we have we show that we have no faith at all. Almost like being angry and rebellious. 

It is like standing on a piece of ground with a spade in the hand doing nothing to get it dug up, but expecting it to get cultivated. What makes more sense is to start digging it up and then we can move on to the next and next..... steps to eventually make it productive. 

1. This parable has some allegorical elements. Who is represented by the hated nobleman who becomes king? 
The Lord Jesus Himself is represented by the hated nobleman who went to heaven to await the time when He would return and set up His kingdom here on earth. During this interim period the nobleman does not wish his fortune to be left unattended, so before he goes he calls ten key servants and gives them the responsibility to watch over his treasures. These ten servants represent all the followers/servants of Jesus. God exalted Christ by raising Him from the dead and opening the heavens to receive Him back to His own right hand, and God has given Him the name which is above every name. At present the devil is the ruler of the world, but this will change when Christ returns to reign. When He returns, He will come with power and glory as the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, everything will be under His authority, every knee will bow to Him, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. 

2. In the Parable of the Talents each of the servants had huge sums to work with. In the Parable of the Pounds each has only $7800 or so. Why is Jesus emphasizing this test of faithfulness as a "small matter"? (19:17b) What is large by comparison? 
These two parables seem to be similar, but there is a difference. In the Parable of the Talents (Matthew 25:14–30) the servants were given varying amounts of money according to their ability. Here in the Parable of the Ten Minas, each servant is given the same amount of money, but much less – a mina being about 1/60th of a talent. So, it’s not about the money but about stewardship, about whether the servants obedient to the master, and can be trusted to faithfully look after the master’s interests. Jesus taught this same principle of reward for faithful service in (16:10-12), "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much”, …  Having proved his faithfulness and ability, the servant is now trusted with much. As a reward he is to take charge of ten cities. This might seem incredibly disproportional, but having faithfully passed a test of a “very small matter”, he is rewarded to rule over a large portion of the kingdom. 

3. Why was the master so delighted with the servants who earned 10-fold and 5-fold on his tiny investment? Was it the money or something else? (19:15-19) 
After being crowned king the nobleman returns to his land, and needs to find out how his servants have handled their responsibilities and to determine how much authority he could give each one of them in his new kingdom. He was excited to hear from the first servant that his mina had earned ten more (19:16). This servant had not only been faithful but also very successful, proving he can be trusted and was worthy of ruling over a portion of the master’s kingdom. So, being resourceful and aggressive he was rewarded by given rule over ten cities. The second servant was also successful having earned five minas more. He was given five cities to rule over (19:19). The master was not interested in the money itself, since he mentions that it is "a very small matter" (19:17). It was all about testing the level of faithfulness in the use of what the servants were given. He wanted to find out who among his servants managed his possessions and money with prudence and trustworthiness. Those who are faithful in small matters can be trusted with the more significant responsibility. 

4. What do the unproductive servant's words tell us about his character? (19:20-21) Why was the master so disgusted with the unproductive servant who never traded with his portion? (19:22-23) 
He is careless, useless, and thoughtless. He has no concern for the master’s interests – couldn’t be bothered. He makes no effort at all to obey the master’s instructions. In other words, a worthless servant who blames the master for his shortcomings. He doesn’t care – even not bothering to deposit the one mina in the bank and earn at least some interest. His master called him a wicked servant (19:22) for disobeying a direct order from the master to “put this money to work” (19:13). Because of his laziness and disinterest his mina was taken away from him and given to someone who is only too grateful to be of service for the master. Today he would be a fake believer who has no love, no honour, and no respect for our Lord. If we don't use our opportunities for the Lord, they will be taken from us (19:26). 

5. In what way does this Parable promise us more if we need it to develop the Lord's work? What are the conditions? (19:26) 
All who belong to Jesus are given tasks and are required to use our earthly wealth for the glory of God and to both enhance the kingdom and help those around us. The use of these earthly resources are a test to see if we are faithful and can be trusted to make good use of them, and to see how we handle responsibility. If we can be trusted with our earthly wealth, no matter how much or little we have, we will be fit to handle the vast riches of God’s Kingdom. God calls us to be honest, to maintain our integrity in all matters, whether big or small; heaven's riches are far more valuable than earthly treasure. If we are successful, and are able to handle even more responsibility, we will hear our Heavenly Father say: “Well done, my good servant” (19:17), and we will be given more and more responsibility as the Lord trusts us more and more. On the other hand, if we take these resources and only use them for earthly pleasure we will not be entrusted with any rewards in heaven. 

6. When you talk about the fruit of your service for God, do you sound more like a victor or a victim? Why? How will that change? 
Most definitely a victor. The more we make use of our earthly resources to glorify our Lord, the more we will grow physically, mentally, and spiritually. We are either growing stronger or getting weaker. What we don't use, we lose. In matters spiritual, it is not possible to stand still. We either gain or lose; we either advance or decline. For example, if we are faithful in sharing the truth with others, then God will reveal new and deeper truths to us. If, on the other hand, we do not have this spirit of evangelistic zeal, God will deprive us of the truth we think we possess. The more we obey the Lord in faith and actively are involved in His work, bearing fruit, the more blessings we will receive in an ever-increasing measure. There will be advances in knowledge, in love, in holiness, in joy, and in all the blessings of the kingdom of heaven. And as a bonus, every blessing is a guarantee of further blessings to come (John 1:16). Jesus will say to the Father, “They have obeyed Your Word” (John 17:6) and “They are not of the world” (John 17:16). 

6. When you talk about the fruit of your service for God, do you sound more like a victor or a victim? Why? How will that change?

Should be victor.

If it is victim there is a big question as to who it was done for. 

The Word clearly states that whatever we do, we are to do it as unto the Lord. Somewhere along the line, there will then be fruit. Be it that I see or that comes at a later stage. 

• 4 weeks later...

This parable has some allegorical elements. Who is represented by the hated nobleman who becomes king?

A. Jesus is the hated nobleman who will become king.

In the Parable of the Talents each of the servants had huge sums to work with. In the Parable of the Pounds each has only $7800 or so. Why is Jesus emphasizing this test of faithfulness as a "small matter"? (19:17b) What is large by comparison?

A. It was a small amount as compared to the cities that he will give those who are faithful.

Why was the master so delighted with the servants who earned 10-fold and 5-fold on his tiny investment? Was it the money or something else? (19:15-19)

A. The master was so delighted with the servant who eared 10-fold and 5-fold on his tiny investment because he would be able to trust them when he gives them their cities. It wasn’t the money he was concerned about it was their willingness to work and put their talents to use.

What do the unproductive servant's words tell us about his character? (19:20-21) Why was the master so disgusted with the unproductive servant who never traded with his portion? (19:22-23)

A. The unproductive servant’s character is that of lazy or afraid of what the master would do if he lost the money. The master was disgusted because he knew he could not trust the unproductive servant.

In what way does this Parable promise us more if we need it to develop the Lord's work? What are the conditions? (19:26)

A. If we are willing to work for the Lord he will be with us to help us conquer the challenge that he has provided. The condition is that we have to trust in the Lord.

When you talk about the fruit of your service for God, do you sound more like a victor or a victim? Why? How will that change?

A. When I talk about the fruit of my service for God I hope that I sound more like a victor than a victim. I have been working in programs that helps bring people to Jesus. I don’t know if they have been saved, I just have to believe that what I did or told them took hold but Lord has to finish the process.

• 4 months later...

Q1. The nobleman represents Jesus who will return as King and every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. 
Q2. We are all given gifts and abilities to use for God. Depending on how we use these and how productive we are for the Lord we will be rewarded. Our reward will be far greater than our faithfulness in the small matter we were entrusted with. We are being tested in a small way but the reward for our dedication and faithfulness will be great.

Q3.The master was pleased with the servants faithfulness in a small matter because he knew he could trust him with far greater things. It wasn’t about his servants making him more money it was about the master seeing their faithfulness in serving him and knowing they would be faithful in far greater responsibilities.

Q4. He was lazy and stubborn and blamed his master by saying he was afraid of him because he was a hard man. He had deliberately done nothing to get any return on his masters money, he didn’t even put it in a bank to gain interest for his master. This really upset his master!

Q5.The more productive we are in the service of God the more we will be given. The conditions are that we must be faithful and diligent and single minded.

Q6. I am very conscious of the verses in Colossians 3v23 “ Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” I work and live my life with this verse in mind and I trust in everything God has promised both good and bad. He loves me and guides me, I can not be anything but victorious. Praise God.

• 1 year later...

What do the unproductive servant's words tell us about his character? (19:20-21) Why was the master so disgusted with the unproductive servant who never traded with his portion? (19:22-23)

I always thought the unproductive servant was fearful and that was the reason he laid his treasure away.  However, a good point was brought up that if it was out of fear, how could he speak that way to the master, if he was truly afraid of the master?  Hanks made a good point that the unproductive servant actually blames the master for his poor performance.  It seems strange because the whole kingdom seems to treat the master the same way, like they feed off each other in disrespecting him.  The delegation that went to protest his being made king encourages general discontent.  It reminds me of the way people treat Jesus today--refusing to follow Him and yet blaming Him when things go wrong in their lives.  

The master is disgusted because the unproductive servant could have at least safely deposited the money in the bank to earn interest but didn't even do that, and then turned around and blamed the master for his not doing so.  I also notice that the people who refused him as king were killed.  I think this is allegorical as to what will happen to unbelievers at the second coming. 

When you talk about the fruit of your service for God, do you sound more like a victor or a victim? Why? How will that change?

I think back to the last study when I confessed I often feel discouraged at people's lack of response when I try to share Christ with them, so clearly I feel more like a victim.  If I trust Christ and stay in the word, He will change my attitude, regardless of others' responses.  We are in this for the long game, just because we don't see short term immediate responses doesn't mean God is not at work.  

• 4 months later...
  1. This parable has some allegorical elements. Who is represented by the hated nobleman who becomes king? Jesus.
  2. In the Parable of the Talents each of the servants had huge sums to work with. In the Parable of the Pounds each has only $7800 or so. Why is Jesus emphasizing this test of faithfulness as a "small matter"? You are offered opportunity to work for the kingdom.  How you care for the masters goals determines your advancement. Your ability to handle more responsibility.(19:17b) What is large by comparison? For us the management of and growing up the end time harvest crews.
  3. Why was the master so delighted with the servants who earned 10-fold and 5-fold on his tiny investment? It showed management of anothers goals. Was it the money or something else? It was the accomplishment of an assigned task. (19:15-19)
  4. What do the unproductive servant's words tell us about his character? He felt no empowerment or authority to work independantly with the masters talent or mina.  (19:20-21) Why was the master so disgusted with the unproductive servant who never traded with his portion? He took no initiative. Felt no responsibility. (19:22-23)
  5. In what way does this Parable promise us more if we need it to develop the Lord's work? If we apply ourself to the masters goals.  What are the conditions? That we are trustworthy to work without the masters direct supervision. (19:26)
  6. When you talk about the fruit of your service for God, do you sound more like a victor or a victim? Victor. Why? I delight in testifying what God can do with the wreckage I was when he saved me. How will that change? Haul donated goods, clean restrooms. Advance. Associate pastor twice. Now watchman over the growth stage of an advancing work. I expect specific assignments. What and where are my Fathers choice based on his trust I will listen. Where I am He described as a third string fill in. Evidently some others failed to stay or show up. My pleasure is pleasing Him, not me.