JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 year later...

1. Why do you think one of the criminals on the cross insulted and mocked Jesus? What human trait prompted him to do this? (Luke 23:39)
He is a hardened criminal who broke the law, and is now paying for his crime with his life. He is dying, yet he is so full of hatred for Jesus, all he can think of is to mock, insult, and blaspheme our Lord Jesus Christ. Was this because he was thinking that if Jesus is really the Messiah, He would have done something, or perhaps he simply joined the crowd as they mocked and blasphemed the Son of God? Whatever his motivation, he spent the last pitiful hours of his life mocking the only One who could have saved his soul and kept him out of hell. In this lost, sinful, condemned condition, he is no different than anyone else in this world who does not know Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord. They are guilty before God in thought, word, and deed. As we read in Rom 3:10-18, there is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who seeks God; there is no one who does good, not even one; there is the poison of vipers on their lips; there is no fear of God before their eyes. And their throats are open graves; their tongues practice deceit; their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness; their feet are swift to shed blood; their ways are marked by ruin and misery. Total depravity. Today there is a growing trend in those who mock and blaspheme our Lord Jesus Christ, who have no trouble taking the precious name of our Lord in vain; who think nothing of using our Lord’s name as a curse word; who ridicule the name of Jesus and insult Him, His church, and His work; who see no need for a relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ; who do not believe there is a God, or who live as if God does not exist. The trait that marks so many in our day and proves them to be like this poor, dying thief, is the fact that they refuse to believe in Jesus for their soul’s salvation.  

2. Why does the other criminal rebuke him for his insults? On what grounds does he try to stop him? (Luke 23:40-41) 
The other criminal comes to see things differently, and to actually put his trust in Jesus. He realises that to mock God is to disrespect and dishonour Him, and that it is a serious offence committed by those who have no fear of God, or who even deny His existence. So, he rebukes his partner asking him "Don't you fear God?” Here the fear of God is not one of reverence, but the terror of falling under the wrath and judgment of God the eternal Judge. This fear of God was at the very heart of being a Jew living under a covenant relationship with God. This criminal admits his own guilt, accepts responsibility for the crimes he committed, and sees his punishment of being just and deserved. He realises his guilt before God, and most importantly, he recognises the innocence of Jesus Christ. 

3. What did the thief have to believe about Jesus to cause him to ask Him, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" (Luke 23:42). What are the elements of his faith? 
He had come to the realisation that Jesus is no ordinary man, that Jesus was his only hope, and had decided to throw himself at Jesus’ mercy. He had to believe that Jesus is the promised Messiah He claims to be; that He is the Saviour who has initiated God’s kingdom in this world; that He has the power to forgive sins; that He can bring this former sinner into God’s kingdom. This thief displayed the essence of true faith in his heart and his words as he died on that cross. This all could only have been made possible by the Holy Spirit coming into his life. The elements of his saving faith are his honesty about his own sins. Freely admitting that he was guilty is the first step in coming to faith in Jesus. The recognition of Jesus as God, as Saviour, as who He claimed to be. The willingness to call on Jesus for that which he needed in his life – calling out to the Lord for his salvation. He did in fact boldly profess his faith in the presence of a hostile crowd and amid the taunts and jeers of rulers and soldiers. 

4. Did the thief confess his sins? Was he repentant? 
This is a massive transformation. All of a sudden the thief becomes very aware of God and the fear of God. He openly admits his own sin, and recognises Jesus for who He is – truly amazing! This is all the result of the miraculous work of the Holy Spirit on his dark heart. Besides the fear of God, there is a sudden fear of judgment, a sense of his own sinfulness, a sense of guilt, and a desire for forgiveness. So, I’m sure he confesses his sin. A true repentant convert begs nothing but confesses his utter guilt and absolute bankruptcy.  He has nothing to offer God; nothing to commend himself. He knows that he is in urgent need of mercy and grace, nothing else can save him. He is not concerned for his life on earth, it’s too late for that, his concern is the judgment/wrath to come. He is about to die, turns in true repentance to Jesus for forgiveness. He must have repented, for without repentance there will be no forgiveness. 

5. How do you think the thief's request make Jesus feel? 
From a previous lesson in Luke (15:10), we know that there is great rejoicing in heaven over every sinner who repents. Jesus is pleased when sinners repent; we don’t often think of God as rejoicing, but this passage tells us that He does. A person has come home to God; a person has been saved – and saved for all eternity. Their heavenly Father, has brought these people to Himself, transformed them, washed away their sins in the blood of Christ, and adopted them as His children.
In the morning the thief was nailed to a cross – in the evening he was wearing a crown.
In the morning he was an enemy of Caesar - in the evening he was a friend of God.
In the morning he was spurned by men - in the evening he was fellowshipping with angels.
In the morning he died as a criminal on earth – in the evening he lived as a citizen of heaven.
This teaches us that salvation is by grace through faith alone. Faith alone in Christ alone - nothing more, nothing less. 

6. What are the elements of Jesus' promise to the thief in 23:43? 
The thief had asked Jesus to “remember me when You come into Your Kingdom" (23:42). Having repented of his sin, having confessed Christ, having trusted Jesus’ power and will to save him; he now asked to be remembered one day. Imagine his surprise when Jesus replied, “Today you will be with Me in paradise” (23:43). He was promised that he would be with Christ that same day; no need to wait for our Lord’ Second Coming. The promise is that as soon as he dies, he will join Jesus in paradise, that place of eternal bliss and rest (2 Cor 12:4, Rev 2:7), a reference to the intermediate state (2 Cor 5:1–8; Phil 1:23). Nothing but joy and glory and the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ - full reconciliation, full Son-ship, full riches, full resources. 

7.What are we disciples supposed to learn from this strange exchange on the crosses above our heads? What does Jesus intend us to get out of this? 
To me the most important lesson I get from this study is that faith alone saves. As I mentioned earlier, this teaches us that salvation is by grace through faith alone. Faith alone in Christ alone - nothing more, nothing less. This is so stunning.  Salvation is so clearly by grace through faith, not of works. When a sinner realises they are lost, they are helpless, they are hopeless, they are hell-bound; there is only one thing left for them to do and that is to repent and put their faith in Christ as Lord and Saviour. "Lord, remember me. Have mercy upon me." It is the only thing left for them to do. As Paul said, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31a). The gospel is so simple, and that is what offends people because it does away with our pride and power. The Cross affords no possibility of pride in earning salvation, and no potential for power in manipulating one's way into the kingdom. 

1.  Why do you think one of the criminals on the cross insulted and mocked Jesus? What human trait prompted him to do this? (Luke 23:39)

Possibly hoping against hope that if indeed it was the Messiah, he too would have been set free and would escape the excruciating hrs which lay ahead before death finally overpowered them. As this Power is not manifesting itself, the thief is taking a jab at the fact that Jesus is named/called the Messiah. It was like taking a final jab at authority which had finally overcome him and brought him to the place he was in now. It had caught up with him. Despite his machoness/bravado, I personally believe it was fear and hatred against all that was actually "good" that was causing him to speak out to Jesus in this manner. 

2.  Why does the other criminal rebuke him for his insults? On what grounds does he try to stop him? (Luke 23:40-41)

They are being punished justly for their lifestyle/deeds, whereas Jesus was innocent. He asks bluntly "Do you not fear God?" 

He is trying to get him to think logically  ... before long they will appear before almighty God. Don't heap still more on your wrongdoing before then. 

3. What did the thief have to believe about Jesus to cause him to ask him, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" (Luke 23:42). What are the elements of his faith?

He recognized and believed that Jesus was indeed the Messiah. He turned to Jesus in hope and repentance, pleading for mercy. Begged Him to remember hin in His future Kingdom

5. How do you think the thief's request make Jesus feel?

Encouraged and happy. He could promise the penitent thief salvation. He (the thief) would soon be with Him in Paradise, forgiven, cleansed, made whole. 

By GRACE are ye saved through FAITH. Nothing to do with works or earning it. It is grace and grace alone

7.  What are we disciples supposed to learn from this strange exchange on the crosses above our heads? What does Jesus intend us to get out of this?

That there is such a thing as death-bed conversion. Do not give up. It is by grace and grace alone that we are saved. When we close our eyes here in death, there is not still a waiting period to join our Lord in Paradise. It will be like going to sleep here and waking up there. 

• 8 months later...

Q1. One of the criminals took over where the soldiers left off with the insulting and demeaning insults that they threw at Jesus. Maybe he saw the huge difference between himself and Jesus. Jesus totally innocent, sinless and holy in contrast to himself, so sinful, anti authority, brash and rebellious. Maybe he realises he is not going to get away, that Jesus is submitting to His death and there won’t be any last minute retrieval from this horrible slow death. Maybe it was just sheer hate of Jesus for all the good He represented.

Q2.The second criminal is a complete contrast he knows that Jesus is innocent and he knows that he is sinful and that he and his companion deserve this death but Jesus certainly does not! Maybe he has been listening to Jesus as He preached and taught people and he could see that Jesus was authentic. Now he is rebuking his companion for insulting an innocent man, who is being treated just the same as themselves who are guilty and deserving of death according to their laws.

Q3.This criminal recognised Jesus as the Messiah, otherwise his statement “ Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom “, wouldn’t make sense. He could see the contrast between his own sinful life and ways and the sinlessness of Jesus. He confessed His guilt, we don’t see actual words of repentance but from what he says it is clear he was sorry and he believed Jesus was the Messiah. 
Q4.Not in so many words but it was obvious from what he did say that he knew he was a sinner and was sorry for it. He recognised that he deserved death on the cross and Jesus didn’t. He wanted to be with Jesus in Paradise unlike his companion who was filled with hate for Jesus.

Q5.I am sure in Jesus darkest moment He was grateful for this turn of events that this man believed in who He was. He was surrounded by people who wished Him evil, He was separated from His Father, because of our sin being upon Him and here was a brightness in the darkness, someone who actually believed that He was the Messiah. I am sure it helped Jesus and reassured Him that He was doing the right thing. What a challenge to us to be a bright spark in a dark world to bring a little joy to the heart of Jesus!

Q6.This criminal admits his guilty to Jesus by rebuking his companion who is insulting Jesus and saying”We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong” Luke 23v 41. Then he says "Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom “. He expressed his faith and trust in Jesus and that was just what Jesus needed to hear from him, in order to save him. Nothing else was needed. Jesus replied to him in v 43 “ I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.” 
Q7. I find these verses a great comfort as I see loved ones getting on in years and still baulking about putting their trust in God. I feel time is slipping away, time that could be spent working for the Lord using their God given skills but these verses show me that it is by grace through faith, it is a gift from God, that salvation comes. Nothing else is needed,  no works or anything else just faith. I must keep praying so that God will be merciful and give them this wonderful gift of God.

• 1 month later...

1.    Why do you think one of the criminals on the cross insulted and mocked Jesus? What human trait prompted him to do this? (Luke 23:39)

I think one of the two criminals on the cross insulted Jesus just to vent his own pain, anger and frustration on Jesus wishing that Jesus could have used his power that he had heard of, to set himself free as well as freeing the two of them too.

2.    Why does the other criminal rebuke him for his insults? On what grounds does he try to stop him? (Luke 23:40-41)

The other criminal rebuked his companion because he had faith in Jesus and knew that Jesus was suffering for no fault of his while the two of them were suffering justly for their crime.

3.    What did the thief have to believe about Jesus to cause him to ask him, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom" (Luke 23:42). What are the elements of his faith?

The other thief as I said above, had faith in Christ being the Messiah thus his request to Him to remember him in his kingdom.

4.    Did the thief confess his sins? Was he repentant?

I believe he confessed his sin since he told the other thief that they were being punished for what they deserved. Based on this confession he asked Jesus to remember him in his kingdom.

5.    How do you think the thief's request make Jesus feel?

His request made Jesus felt happy that at least there was one soul who believed in him and would be saved for the Father.

6.    What are the elements of Jesus' promise to the thief in 23:43?

Jesus promised him that he would be with him that night in paradise. He was saved from eternal damnation in hell.

7.    What are we disciples supposed to learn from this strange exchange on the crosses above our heads? What does Jesus intend us to get out of this?

We are learning that there can be salvation at death bed true confession even without baptism.