JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Promise

• 1 month later...

Fascinating, Pastor Ralph!

So, what about repentance and baptism is vital for forgiveness, you ask.

Can God forgive without our repentance? Probably. He's God. 

Can we be sure we are forgiven without repentance?  No.  We need to repent of whatever the Holy Spirit brings to consciousness, to our minds. I'm always worried, I must admit, that I haven't repented enough, that some lingering sin remains I've forgotten, but I think Jesus is big enough to understand this. The link between repentance and forgiveness is strong, the first precedes the second.

Can we be forgiven without baptism?  Yes. Baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. That change remains without baptism. So why get baptised? Because it validates, makes public, and sorta cements what's already happened, the gift of the holy spirit. 

Can we be baptised and not forgiven? Ahhh, the question you didn't ask. Plenty of non-Christians are baptised, so it's not the act of dipping/sprinkling but the faith that preceded that act that gives it meaning and significance. 

--

The Holy Spirit is promised to those whom God has called, which means the Holy Spirit has been previously active in some individuals but not others. I can't deal with this, so I'm leaving it here as a statement.

--

Cultural corruption is "corrected" by His grace. I believe, with Calvin, that God's general grace extends to political systems and cultures, that without this residue of grace, nothing good would exist in the world. We submit to authorities because God's grace extends to them, even if they're secular.

The church is a culture within a culture, so to speak. I'm eager to read tomorrow's lesson about how the church interacts or salts the cultures in which it exists.

As an aside, I never noticed the verse that includes "the ruler of the kingdom of the air." What does this mean?  Satan? The secular culture in which we're placed?

Repentance means change of mind/heart this implies that you must turn away from a way of thinking you had before. So it's not only about asking for forgiveness, it's more than that. And that's how makes it vital for forgiveness from God.

Baptism means one immersed fully in water. Actually once we accept Jesus as our Lord and savior, The Holy Spirit baptize us (immersed us in the body of Christ. That is an action of faith. Therefore baptism in water also is vital to forgiveness since it shows how our faith is complete.

The gift of the Holy Spirit is to all; the Jews and gentiles; the bible says this gift is for you and your children, for those who are far off and those whom God will call.

The only way that we can be saved from this corrupt culture of today is for us not to conform to the ways of this world. As the bible says in Romans 12:2.

Q4.Our repentance must be a full turning away from our sin. It is a conscious decision to go in a new direction. We can’t have true repentance without faith. Baptism is part of repentance which acknowledges the need for forgiveness of sin. Baptism does not save us , we are saved by God’s grace, which is a gift from God , not by works. 
The Holy Spirit will be given “for all whom the Lord our God will call”. Some will reject His call but those who do respond will receive the Holy Spirit. We must have a dependent humility in order to avoid corrupt cultures. We must walk closely with our God every day, and accept just how easily we can be led astray. In this way we will avoid the snares of the evil one.

• 2 weeks later...

Bailey Greetings 10/15/21

Q 4 Repent and be baptized, repentance is a decision to go a new direction to follow Jesus as Lord.  You can not have true repentance without faith. The Holy Spirit brings spiritual birth and empowerment to people of every race and culture.

Q4. (Acts 2:38-40) What about repentance and baptism is vital for forgiveness? To whom is the Holy Spirit promised? What will save us from our corrupt cultures today? 
For forgiveness we must repent of our sins and turn to God, putting our faith in our Saviour Jesus Christ. We change our life of sin, selfishness and rebellion against God, turning to Christ, depending on Him for forgiveness, mercy, grace, guidance, and purpose. This is a wholehearted change of values and direction. For believers, baptism is visible proof of repentance and commitment to follow Jesus, the Messiah. The Holy Spirit is promised to all, without exception, to whom the Lord our God will call. That is, everyone God calls to Himself through Christ. The only way to save us from the corrupt cultures of today, is to leave it and change by joining a new culture of believers, that is the church. We need to be with other believers for fellowship, prayer, and teaching. Living a life glorifying our Heavenly Father, humbly remembering that we are sinners saved by grace!

• 4 months later...

I think that repentance is vital for forgiveness of sins but baptism isn’t. Baptism is just a symbol to show that you have joined the Christian community and the Holy Spirit will come upon us at that time. The Holy Spirit is promised to everyone who will believe. Only God can save us from our corrupt cultures so we need to turn ourselves over to his teaching.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Acts 2:38-40)

What about repentance and baptism is vital for forgiveness?

To whom is the Holy Spirit promised?

What will save us from our corrupt cultures today?

Repentance would bring remorse and then changing direction completely. A willingness to do so, to turn around or transform.  

Baptism acknowledges the need for cleansing from sin.  It is an outward act of faith looking to a spiritual cleansing.  A spiritual atonement brought about by Christ. 

The Holy Spirit is promised to Jews and Gentiles alike.  All whom the Lord our God will call to Himself.  (Acts 2:39)

To be saved from the corrupt culture will involve:   

• Repentance of sins 
  • Becoming part  of a new culture (the true Church)
  • Living a life glorifying our Heavenly Father.

• 5 months later...

Only upon genuine, godly repentance of sin and the acceptance of Christ as personal Savior for the forgiveness of sin can the new believer be baptized (Acts 2:38). This brings about the complete remission of the believer’s sins and his or her full reconciliation to God.
For you and your children and for all who are far away [including the Gentiles], as many as the Lord our God calls to Himself.”
Walk with God

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Acts 2:38-40) What about repentance and baptism is vital for forgiveness? To whom is the Holy Spirit promised? What will save us from our corrupt cultures today?

1. Repetance is the change of life completely of non-believer  by the conviction of the Holy Spirit, now with the conviction of the Holy Spirit the believe shows his obedience through the baptism.

Both actions made  for the believers are esential in response og god's grace.

2. The Holy Spirit promised is for all that God will call.

3. We will be save from the corrupt culture today by the death of our Lord Jesus Christ.