JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Righteous One

• 2 months later...

Jesus is God. He never sinned, thus he is righteous. His love and death for us, to cover us with his blood so that we may approach the throne of grace with confidence, is unfathomably more than any one of us deserves. Jesus fills the gap. He is the bridge by which all men must enter God's presence. He obviously loves us so much, and he advocates for mankind at the throne of God. 

In every sense, Jesus is the one and only Righteous One.  He is perfect and no sin is in Him.  When we want to justify our sin by comparing ourselves to others who we think sin worse than us, we have to remember to compare ourselves to Jesus, the ultimate standard of righteousness, instead.  He is able to advocate for us because He understands the struggles we go through and carried our sin to the cross.  He took our sin upon Him and exchanged His righteousness for our sin.  Thank you, Jesus! 

Q4. Jesus is the righteous one because He is the only person who has ever been on earth who was pure and spotless and without sin, He was perfect in every way. Jesus righteousness challenges our sinfulness because there is such a huge chasm between us. Jesus is the sinless , spotless Lamb of God. We all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Our hearts are evil. Jesus is our Advocate because He was the unblemished sacrifice, who willingly gave Himself to die on a cross to redeem us from our sins. He gave up the splendour of Heaven to come to this sinful world, He who was without sin and lived among sinners and then went out into public ministry where He was rejected and ridiculed and eventually sentenced to death on a cross. All because He loved us sinners. Jesus fills the gap by His great work on the cross and His continual work between us and the Father. We must come to the Father through Jesus. If we believe in what Jesus has done on our behalf and accept that He is the Son of God we will be saved.

Q4. (Acts 7:52) In what senses is Jesus "the Righteous One"?

Jesus is the “the Righteous One” because though born of a human woman was without sin because though human, He was also God and thus in all His ways He could not be found with any sin. His character was perfect and He depicted the holiness of His Father

How should his righteousness challenge our sinfulness?

We must be righteous and holy as He is. We must in the power of the Holy Spirit resist sin in the power of the Holy Spirit.

In 1 John 2:1-2, why is the Righteous One our Advocate before the Father?

He died but rose to set us free from sin and whenever the evil one condemns us before the Lord God Almighty, He tells Him, no, I have paid for the sin of this one being accused and thus he stands acquitted of the charges against him. Praise God.

How does Jesus deal with the great gap caused by our unrighteousness?

He has bridged the gap when took our sin and nailed it on the cross. When we commit any act of unrighteousness, His Spirit torments us to confess and repent, His righteousness is credited unto us and His righteousness is our righteousness.

This is a hard set of questions.

Jesus' righteousness is a consequence of his sinlessness on earth, but it also preexisted his sinlessness. God is sinless, but we expect this of Him. Jesus came into the world as a man, so righteousness was not expected.

His righteous is imputed to us in salvation. This is from the Westminster Shorter confession: Justification is an act of God's free grace wherein he pardons all our sins and accepts us as RIGHTEOUS in is sight, only for the RIGTEOUSNESS of Christ imputed to us and received by faith alone. (caps mine). Honestly, I don't understand this very well but it seems that Jesus' righteousness/sinlessness could be imputed (legally transferred) to us because He Himself was righteous while on earth. His righteousness is like a bridge to God over the gap caused by our unrighteousness.

I'm not sure if Jesus righteousness challenges our sinfulness as much as negates it, if we are believers. 

Q4. (Acts 7:52) In what senses is Jesus "the Righteous One"? How should His righteousness challenge our sinfulness? In 1 John 2:1-2, why is the Righteous One our Advocate before the Father? How does Jesus deal with the great gap caused by our unrighteousness? 
Jesus “the Righteous One” is the only whose life was sinless, perfectly just and righteous; “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom 3:23). We long for fair treatment from others, and hate it when people base their judgment of us on appearance, false evidence, or hearsay. Yet we are quick to judge others using these standards. Jesus always judges with righteousness, challenging our sinfulness. Only as He governs our hearts can we learn to be fair in our treatment of others as we expect them to be toward us. Jesus Christ is our Advocate, our defender, the best defence attorney we can ever imagine having, pleading our case before the Father. A human defence attorney argues for the innocence of his client. But our Advocate, Jesus Christ, admits our guilt - and then enters His plea on our behalf, as the one who has made an atoning sacrifice for our sinful guilt. This is the attorney who has paid for our sins by the sacrifice of Himself. By dying for us, He freed us from the guilt of our sins and restored us to God by providing the required ransom. God can show mercy to us because Christ has satisfied the claims of justice. The gap between Jesus’ righteousness and our unrighteousness is so vast, and deserves only God’s wrath. The only one that could intercede for us is Christ who died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring us to God (1 Pet 3:18). It is because His sinless life was laid down for us as the means by which our forgiveness was obtained, that He can righteously plead His sacrifice before the righteous Father, on behalf of us, the unrighteous. 

• 4 months later...

Jesus was “the Righteous One” because he had no blemish and had committed no sin. He was our perfect sacrifice as the unblemished lamb. If we try to follow his righteousness and try to be like him that will make us look at our sins and repent and try to do better. Jesus dealt with the great gap caused my unrighteousness by sacrificing himself on the cross.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Acts 7:52)

In what senses is Jesus "the Righteous One"?

How should his righteousness challenge our sinfulness?

In 1 John 2:1-2, why is the Righteous One our Advocate before the Father?

How does Jesus deal with the great gap caused by our unrighteousness?

Jesus was upright, innocent, holy, unblemished.  There was no sin in Him.  Jesus is the Messiah, the Righteous One, spoken of in Jeremiah 23 :5&6, as the Righteous Branch to be raised up for David.  

I want to be and live like Jesus. I want Jesus to be seen in my life.  I want to live righteously, as He did.

An unblemished Sacrifice was required to pay for my sins.  Jesus was this Sacrifice.  Now when I come before the Judge and am reflected as guilty, oh so very guilty,  Jesus as my Advocate, stands in my stead and claims that the price for that sin of the guilty one, viz me., has been paid.  He has given Himself for me. The slate, as it were, of my life, has been  washed clean.

Jesus has covered that gap, by taking our unrighteousness upon Him, when He paid that ultimate price.  

• 5 months later...

Pilate's wife and the centurion used "righteous" in the sense of innocent of charges, upstanding. However, following Christ's resurrection, the word is used by Jesus' followers with all its theological fullness -- absolute righteousness. Jesus is not merely "relatively good." He is the only Righteous One by virtue of his divinity.

“Apart from Christ we have no merit, no righteousness. Our sinfulness, our weakness, our human imperfection make it impossible that we should appear before God unless we are clothed in Christ’s spotless righteousness. We are to be found in Him not having our own righteousness, but the righteousness which is in Christ.”
    He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous”