JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

The Holy Spirit and the knowledge and believe that God is always with us enable us to give thanks in all circumstances.

The short term effects of Saul's persecution was that people were scattered  all over the places but continued to spread God's Word in those places.

The long term effects was that God's Word reached many countries as people continued to be witnesses wherever they go.

What was the short-term effect of Saul’s persecution? What was the longer-term effect?

The short-term effect of persecution was the suffering, persecution, torture and murder of First Century Christians. The long-term effect was the diaspora as well as the conversion of Paul who became the greatest of disciples. 

I am troubled by the people who suffered or died while caught up in God's desire to witness to the ends of the earth. It's easy for me to look at the wonderful results and see God's hand in them, but if I were Stephen or any of the unnamed, unremarked individuals who were martyred, I'm not sure I'd be proclaiming God as love. It seems to me that individuals are often "sacrificed" to the flow of divine history. Generations of Jews BORN in captivity, for example, were not culpable or responsible for the sins of their fathers, yet they suffered the consequences of those sins. In the case of the persecution of the early church, the Christians who were murdered were not the worst of the lot, deserving of a death worse than their peers.

To be honest, the brutality endured by the early Christians makes me question not so much God's goodness, but his concern for the individual believer. I know I shouldn't write this, but this is my true worry.

--

Given this, I'm not sure why I should give thanks in all circumstances. If I were a Hebrew slave, born into captivity, would I give thanks FOR the circumstances in which I suffer?  Exactly what am I supposed to thank God for, if a brutalized slave?  If God can save some, He can save all, and from my perspective, as a slave, I've been passed over by God. God did not save me out of my circumstances, in other words. I understand the distinction between NOT praising God for evil, but in spite of circumstances, but I question why God would permit those circumstances in the first place.

I happen to be in dire, horrible circumstances right now.  I am not at all sure why God has me here. I pray hourly to be "released." Can I praise Him through my suffering? Yes, but it's a muted praise, one of despair and defeat, not joy and optimism. I may be the 21st century equivalent of one of those slaves that never get sprung, or one of the First Century believers who were stoned to death.

Frankly, this is not comforting. God MAY take stumbling blocks and turn them into stepping stones ... or He may not. It's His choice. But for us, here, wondering if we'll be the ones who get to step, it's a horrible feeling to know that God may look the other way.

For Stephen, the blocks of stones were not those from which he could walk away.

He simply died in a brutal and painful manner. Stones crushed him. Yes, God's will in human history was preserved, but at the cost of the death this godly man.

Q1.We know that God is in control of all things and He will walk with us through every difficulty we have. Even when our situation is dire , we can find things to thank God for. It may be a friend who calls to the door, it may be a card sent by someone unexpectedly. It could be an understanding Doctor, or a kind nurse. These are the blessings we have to hold onto and thank God for when life is painful. God can use every situation in our lives both good and bad to work out His purposes, and to further His kingdom. 
The short term effect of Saul’s persecution was to cause great fear and to scatter all the Jews except the apostles to other areas and lands, they traveled as far as Phoenix’s, Cyprus and Antioch. The long term effect was that it spread the gospel to all the places they went. We are told in v4, “Those who had been scattered preached the word wherever they went “.

Q1. (Acts 8:1, 4; 11:19) What enables us to give thanks in all circumstances?

Because God will turn all things for good no matter how bad the situation is to accomplish his plans.

What was the short-term effect of Saul's persecution?

The short term effect of the persecution was that the members of the new church that were all together was scattered outside Jerusalem.

What was the longer-term effect?

The long term effect of was that the message was preached wherever the fleeing persecuted went to. The Word thus spread from Jerusalem to Judea, Samaria and to all over the world.

Q1. (Acts 8:1, 4; 11:19) What enables us to give thanks in all circumstances?

Because God will turn all things for good no matter how bad the situation is to accomplish his plans.

The short term effect of the persecution was that the members of the new church that were all together was scattered outside Jerusalem.

The long term effect of was that the message was preached wherever the fleeing persecuted went to. The Word thus spread from Jerusalem to Judea, Samaria and to all over the world.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:40 PM, Krissi said:

What was the short-term effect of Saul’s persecution? What was the longer-term effect?

The short-term effect of persecution was the suffering, persecution, torture and murder of First Century Christians. The long-term effect was the diaspora as well as the conversion of Paul who became the greatest of disciples. 

I am troubled by the people who suffered or died while caught up in God's desire to witness to the ends of the earth. It's easy for me to look at the wonderful results and see God's hand in them, but if I were Stephen or any of the unnamed, unremarked individuals who were martyred, I'm not sure I'd be proclaiming God as love. It seems to me that individuals are often "sacrificed" to the flow of divine history. Generations of Jews BORN in captivity, for example, were not culpable or responsible for the sins of their fathers, yet they suffered the consequences of those sins. In the case of the persecution of the early church, the Christians who were murdered were not the worst of the lot, deserving of a death worse than their peers.

To be honest, the brutality endured by the early Christians makes me question not so much God's goodness, but his concern for the individual believer. I know I shouldn't write this, but this is my true worry.

--

Given this, I'm not sure why I should give thanks in all circumstances. If I were a Hebrew slave, born into captivity, would I give thanks FOR the circumstances in which I suffer?  Exactly what am I supposed to thank God for, if a brutalized slave?  If God can save some, He can save all, and from my perspective, as a slave, I've been passed over by God. God did not save me out of my circumstances, in other words. I understand the distinction between NOT praising God for evil, but in spite of circumstances, but I question why God would permit those circumstances in the first place.

I happen to be in dire, horrible circumstances right now.  I am not at all sure why God has me here. I pray hourly to be "released." Can I praise Him through my suffering? Yes, but it's a muted praise, one of despair and defeat, not joy and optimism. I may be the 21st century equivalent of one of those slaves that never get sprung, or one of the First Century believers who were stoned to death.

Frankly, this is not comforting. God MAY take stumbling blocks and turn them into stepping stones ... or He may not. It's His choice. But for us, here, wondering if we'll be the ones who get to step, it's a horrible feeling to know that God may look the other way.

For Stephen, the blocks of stones were not those from which he could walk away.

He simply died in a brutal and painful manner. Stones crushed him. Yes, God's will in human history was preserved, but at the cost of the death this godly man.

Krissi, I sure do appreciate your level of honesty.  You don't try to give the "right" answer, you honestly share your heart and struggles, which can help all of us grow deeper in our faith as we wrestle with these questions.  I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through horrible circumstances right now.  I am adding you to my prayer list.  I would like to encourage you to keep your eye on the prize.  Jesus never promised a pain free life.  He didn't live one and in fact, promised that we would suffer as He did.  Sin entered this world at The Fall and the devil continues to tempt, harass, and attack us daily.  We are in a spiritual battle.  Deliverance does not necessarily occur this side of heaven.  We have a hope that is not of this world.  We know He loves us, not because He rescues us from the evil we encounter daily, but because He sacrificed His Son so that we could partake in this hope and perfect future with Him.  

Q1. (Acts 8:1, 4; 11:19) What enables us to give thanks in all circumstances? What was the short-term effect of Saul's persecution? What was the longer-term effect? 
We are to give thanks in all circumstances because we know God is working all things together for good to those who love Him! (Rom 8:28). This is one of my favourite verses. If we think ALL THINGS – no less – cooperate for good! When we suffer heartbreak, tragedy, disappointment, frustration, and bereavement, it may not always seem so. But then, not only prosperity is included but so also adversity; not only joy and happiness but also suffering and sadness (Rom 8:18; 35-37). We may wonder what good can come out of it, but we need to realise that whatever God permits to come into our lives is designed to conform us to the image of His Son (Rom 8:29). Any intended evil against us, is overruled by God (Gen 50:20; Neh 4:15). Included in all things are not only what we as believers go through, but also anything outside the sphere of personal experience. Our lives are not controlled by impersonal forces such as chance, luck, or fate, but by our wonderful, personal Lord, who is “too loving to be unkind and too wise to err.” The short-term effect was that believers were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria preaching the Word wherever they went. It was also carried to Phoenicia, including the ports of Tyre and Sidon (modern Lebanon), Cyprus, and Cyrene. The long-term effect was that it spread in ever-widening circles to the ends of the earth. God had planned for Israel to be the light of the world (Isa 49:6). Through Israel came Jesus, the light of the nations (Luk 2:32). This light would spread out and enlighten the Gentiles and the world (13:47). 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q1. (Acts 8:1, 4; 11:19)

What enables us to give thanks in all circumstances?

The fact that we know without a shadow of a doubt that we are not alone, nevermind the circumstances,  and that God is in control.  This enables us maybe with tears still glistening on our cheeks or with a pain that seems unending , to still say "Thank You Lord, I am not alone."   It is not a thank you for the circumstance but  a thanks in the circumstance.

The short term effect was that the people were scattered in all directions.  The long-term effect was that those that were in different places shared the Good News there. In this way the Gospel was being spread abroad.