JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

I've been in many churches in which the vestry or board of elders is composed of wealthy, older men, that is, men who donate. Wealthy people have "proved" their capabilities by the fact of their wealth, I was told. 

The connection between wealth and God's favour is strong in some people's minds. Calvin himself hinted at this in his Protestant Ethic and Spirit of Capitalism, a book which logically connects thrift and hard work to earthly prosperity, then further associates these values with Protestantism. There is some truth in the book -- hard work often, though not always, creates wealth. Good investing creates wealth, too. BUT hard work and smart investing, though they can be Christian virtues, are not exclusively Christian. Secular individuals also work hard and amass wealth. Furthermore, some Christians work hard without remuneration, or do not invest well.

When does wealth become a hindrance to faith? Personally, I ask two questions of myself when I acquire an expensive object:

First, "Do I have to own it to enjoy it?" If I borrowed the sports car for day rather than own it, would I have just as much fun? If I viewed the painting in a gallery rather than on my wall, would I appreciate it all the same?

Second, "Does it show?"  Wealth hidden seems less damaging, at least to me, than wealth displayed. If no one knows I'm wealthy because I live humbly and (hopefully) give much of my wealth away anonymously, the pride factor is reduced.

So, back to the elders. I would choose men and women who live humbly and modestly than those who live in a overtly "rich and famous" style, even if it's well within their means. 

--

Simony has been practiced  in the Christian church for as long as it's been institutionalized. Offices such as bishop and even heads of monasteries were bought, amalgamated to concentrate power, and given to relatives. Pews were bought in Protestant churches. One of Luther's main gripes was the selling of indulgences. The list is long, sadly. These are the more overt examples of simony. The story above of having a board of elders composed of only rich men is a softer form of simony. 

Both are wrong and deeply offensive both to God and potential or prospective Christians who may be looking at the church critically.

Q3.The root of Simon Magus’s sin is pride. We are told in v9. “ He boasted that he was someone great”. This is pride, and it is sin. He then follows Philip and watches him, and decides that he wants to buy the ability of being able to fill people with the Holy Spirit. This shows that he has no understanding of God and the ways of God. His is trying to further his own reputation by being able to perform another ‘trick’. 
Using money to buy anything to do with God is deeply offensive because it shows a complete lack of understanding of God and His ways. Everything God gives us is free, it has been bought at great cost, Jesus has paid the price for all our sins. All He asks is true and humble repentance for our sins , no money or shoddy acts. Nothing we have could pay the price, because we are all sinners. Only Jesus was worthy. 
Unfortunately in some churches money is being paid for prayers, and services. 

Q3. (Acts 8:9-25) What is at the root of Simon Magus's sin?

Wanting to buy the power of the Holy Spirit with money is sin. This ambition was motivated by jealousy, pride and desire for monetary gains which are also sin.

Why is using money to buy spiritual influence, power, and salvation so deeply offensive to God?

Salvation, power and spiritual influence are free gift from God. Therefore it is an offence to God for anyone to even think he can buy them. See Matthew 10:8-9    

Matt 10:8-9

Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, b drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9NIV

How is it opposite to God's way?

See first part of my answer to the above question.          

Where do you see this sin in the modern church?

I think this is found in cases where church members who are seeking for something from God give monetary gift or “seed” to men of God or in church in anticipation for the desired need.

On 10/27/2021 at 11:00 PM, Katy said:

Q3.The root of Simon Magus’s sin is pride. We are told in v9. “ He boasted that he was someone great”. This is pride, and it is sin. He then follows Philip and watches him, and decides that he wants to buy the ability of being able to fill people with the Holy Spirit. This shows that he has no understanding of God and the ways of God. His is trying to further his own reputation by being able to perform another ‘trick’. 
Using money to buy anything to do with God is deeply offensive because it shows a complete lack of understanding of God and His ways. Everything God gives us is free, it has been bought at great cost, Jesus has paid the price for all our sins. All He asks is true and humble repentance for our sins , no money or shoddy acts. Nothing we have could pay the price, because we are all sinners. Only Jesus was worthy. 
Unfortunately in some churches money is being paid for prayers, and services. 

Amen pride is the downfall in Jesus eyes. We need to stay humble as Jesus set us the example. 

I think the root of Simon's sin is the desire for self-glorification.  Simon is not worshiping idols, he wants to be idolized.  He wants others to worship him.  He is competing with God for worshipers.  Glorifying anything other than God is wrong and is the opposite of God's way.  In the modern church, sometimes leaders will seek their own glory under the guise of preaching the gospel.  Also, anytime we set aside what God commands in order to do what we have decided is right or correct instead, we have put ourselves in His place.  We need to humble ourselves, follow Him and worship Him, not try to get others to follow/worship us.  

Q3. (Acts 8:9-25) What is at the root of Simon Magus's sin? Why is using money to buy spiritual influence, power, and salvation so deeply offensive to God? How is it opposite to God's way? Where do you see this sin in the modern church? 
The root of Simon’s sin is that he wants to have supernatural powers to promote himself, and thus to be able to generate more income. He knows his sorcery and so-called magic is all a fraud and recognises the true heavenly power of the Holy Spirit. For him, this Holy Spirit is a power that can be subjected to his will. Simon offends God by placing the Holy Spirit on the same level as his magic arts. Because he wants to buy the Spirit of God, he demonstrates that he has no knowledge of spiritual matters. He fails to see that the apostles possess heavenly power to glorify God. The spiritual influence, power, and salvation that we receive once we repent and put our trust in Jesus Christ is a free gift. This is God’s way. It cannot be bought even by all the money in the world. The thought alone is blasphemy. God who created everything owns everything. Why would He want to sell it to some fraudster? Believers who receive spiritual benefits are not charged and do not pay for them, because Jesus said, “Freely you have received, freely give” (Mat 10:8). He grants us free gifts so that we may bring Him glory by building up others. The gift of the Holy Spirit is given as a free deposit when we are born again. Simony is the word for the sin of buying or selling church offices or privileges, because it is done in the same spirit as this Simon. This is the attempt to turn the spiritual into the commercial. This happened when there were two, and later three, rival popes, each with his own following. This sin is practiced today; but more commonly people simply think that blessing follows money instead of money following blessing. I know a preacher who is promoted and financed to preach miracle healings. All the advertising posters, his transport are paid for him, and after the meetings the takings are divided. 

• 5 months later...

The root of Simon’s sin is pride and it might have been of greed. Using money to buy spiritual influence, power, and salvation is so deeply offensive to God because all you have to do is turn your heart over to God and He will give you the Spirit as a gift. God gives it away as a gift something that you can’t buy. I saw this sin with the television evangelist.

• 1 year later...

Q3. (Acts 8:9-25)

What is at the root of Simon Magus's sin?

Why is using money to buy spiritual influence, power, and salvation so deeply offensive to God?

How is it opposite to God's way?

Where do you see this sin in the modern church?

Peter speaks of bitterness being in his heart.  We meet Simon declaring himself to be great.  That would support the idea of there being pride  in his heart.  He desired to pay for power.  So he seems to have enjoyed the idea of being seen, of being looked up to.  Possibly being held in high esteem for the magic arts he could perform.

God gives freely.  It  is offensive and even blasphemous to even think of buying spiritual influence, power, and salvation.  Christ paid with His life for the salvation of mankind.  He laid down His glory and was prepared to humble Himself and become a man, in fact start off life completely as a human being and eventually being crucified as a criminal, He Who knew no sin. 

Many unfortunately do see that when someone has money he seems to be able to buy spiritual favour or buy healing etc.   Many times to attend a meeting or seminar or something out of the ordinary offered by someone in the church, one has to pay an exorbitant fee to attend.