JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Q4. Yes God can speak to us today through the Holy Spirit who dwells inside us, if we are walking with Jesus. We have to be careful that we are not putting thoughts into our own heads and attributing them to the Holy Spirit. We will never be prompted to do something that is wrong or unbiblical. As we walk close to God and pray, meditate,and listen it becomes easier to discern the promptings of the Holy Spirit. It can be very exciting to do something that the Holy Spirit has prompted you to do, and realise it was the correct way to go. Especially if you probably would have normally chosen a different option! I have found times when I would love guidance but cannot discern what the Lord wants me to do. These times require patience and prayer. 

Q4. (Acts 8:26-29). Notice how Philip learns what to do -- from an angel (verse 26) and from the Spirit (verse 29). Can God speak to us today by his Spirit, or was this just for the first century?

Certainly, God can and still speak to us today by His Spirit. I have heard people around me say, the Spirit or God told me so, so and so and believe them.

As for me, there are times a thought has persisted in my mind and jot it down and pray about it for three days. If the idea persists, I set out to implement the “thought”. In most cases the result or outcome shows that it was God that gave the ‘thought’

God definitely speaks to us through His Spirit.  That is a big part of the reason for Jesus' coming.  He came not only to redeem us through His death on the cross, but also to equip us through the sending of the Spirit.  It is how He is able to write His law on our hearts and minds.  If we can't receive a message from the Spirit, are we spiritually dead?  We have to set our fleshly desires aside and listen to discern what the Spirit is telling us to do or not to do.  It is a difficult but important discipline in the life of a Christian.

Q4. (Acts 8:26-29). Notice how Philip learns what to do - from an angel (verse 26) and from the Spirit (verse 29). Can God speak to us today by His Spirit, or was this just for the first century? 
God can and does speak to us today. I think it’s more of an inner voice, and/or a prompting. Personally, I’ve found that this occurs when we are in close fellowship with our Lord Jesus. Also, God speaks to us through His Word (2 Tim 3:16), and God's Word never fails to achieve its aims (Isa 55:11). Often it may seem like God is not talking to us, that He isn’t answering our prayers, and even worse, we may begin thinking that He does not understand the urgency of our situation. Thinking like this is wrong as it implies that God is not in control. We have to learn to wait on God, and this is not easy. Especially in our fast-moving world today. It’s not always because we are not receptive. It can be because God is using this time to teach us something. We sometimes need this time to reflect on the fact that God is the only true source of wisdom and goodness which He will make available to His children. So, it is most important and profitable to wait for His guidance – not to be too hasty! That is when we make our biggest mistakes. Instead of being impatient we should be making good use of this waiting time to discover what God is trying to tell us. In the meantime, in seeking God’s will, we should be sure that our plan is in harmony with God’s Word. We are to remain patient and wait until we hear a word from God about His will and His ways. 

Notice how Philip learns what to do – from an angel (verse 26) and from the Spirit (verse 29). Can God speak to us today by his Spirit,  or was this just for the first century?

God has never spoken to me as clearly as he spoke to Philip, with instructions and detailed commands. I wish He would! Still, I believe God does speak to other Christians in an audible or clear voice. 

Hanks is such a wise man when he tells us to wait reflectively and patiently for God's response!  Yes, for me, too, it's more of an inner voice or prompting, not as dramatic or clear, but still God.

On 11/4/2021 at 2:45 AM, hanks said:

Q4. (Acts 8:26-29). Notice how Philip learns what to do - from an angel (verse 26) and from the Spirit (verse 29). Can God speak to us today by His Spirit, or was this just for the first century? 
God can and does speak to us today. I think it’s more of an inner voice, and/or a prompting. Personally, I’ve found that this occurs when we are in close fellowship with our Lord Jesus. Also, God speaks to us through His Word (2 Tim 3:16), and God's Word never fails to achieve its aims (Isa 55:11). Often it may seem like God is not talking to us, that He isn’t answering our prayers, and even worse, we may begin thinking that He does not understand the urgency of our situation. Thinking like this is wrong as it implies that God is not in control. We have to learn to wait on God, and this is not easy. Especially in our fast-moving world today. It’s not always because we are not receptive. It can be because God is using this time to teach us something. We sometimes need this time to reflect on the fact that God is the only true source of wisdom and goodness which He will make available to His children. So, it is most important and profitable to wait for His guidance – not to be too hasty! That is when we make our biggest mistakes. Instead of being impatient we should be making good use of this waiting time to discover what God is trying to tell us. In the meantime, in seeking God’s will, we should be sure that our plan is in harmony with God’s Word. We are to remain patient and wait until we hear a word from God about His will and His ways. 

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Q4. (Acts 8:26-29).

Notice how Philip learns what to do -- from an angel (verse 26) and from the Spirit (verse 29). Can God speak to us today by his Spirit, or was this just for the first century?

It was definitely not only for the first  century, but also for us.    As in that time , He spoke in dreams and visions or a clear audible voice, He does so today.  As mentioned also by promptings or nudgings, He sure uses some form to speak to us.