JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...

Persecuting the church is the same as persecuting Jesus because Jesus is the church. He is the head of the church and we are the body of the church. There is a strong relationship between the church and Jesus.

The bond between Jesus and the church is very powerful because  Jesus is the foundation of the church

It is important that we show reverence  to the church because by so doing we will be glorifying Jesus as the head of the church. We will be showing respect and love to Jesus Christ as the Son of God.

I think -- but am not sure -- that the bond between believers and Christ, or the church and Jesus, is the Holy Spirit. When Christ left the earth, in bodily form, after Pentecost, He left us the Holy Spirit. As part of the trinity, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one. I'm not wording this well because the concepts are murky in my mind. I guess what I'm trying to say is the essence of Jesus has been left in us as the Holy Spirit so hurting the church is hurting Jesus who is one with the Holy Spirit, that is, of one essential "stuff."

This idea comes, in part, from I cor: Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?  If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.

1.   If anyone destroys God's temple (the church?) God will destroy that person. Destroy is a strong word.

a.  Will those who harm the church (COVID hysterics who shut down churches come to mind, here) and, perhaps, would have destroyed it if they could, be destroyed by God?

b. How about internal church dissension that may not destroy, but does divide the church -- are those involved destroyed?

2.  God's temple is sacred. You together (believers in the church?) are that temple. But the body, too, is described as a temple God.  So there's an individual sense of being God's temple and a corporate identity as well. Here, it is clear that "you together" is corporate -- elsewhere, it is just as obviously an individual temple.

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5) Why is persecuting the Church the same as persecuting Jesus himself?

Because the Church is the body of Christ and His temple

What is the bond between Jesus and his Church?

See my answer to the first part of the question

Why must we show reverence toward Christ's Church and not disparage it?

The Church is a member of the body of Christ thus therefore has to be treated well.

Q1.The church and Jesus are one and the same. The church is the body and Christ is the head. While we are here on earth we are God’s representatives , we work alongside God ,He is the foundation and the only worthwhile foundation. We must also use the right materials to build with. Whatever small tasks that we do we must not look for credit to God be the glory! All reverence must be given to Christ’s Church because it is part of Him. 

The church is Christ's body.  When the church (Christ's body) is persecuted, it is as though Jesus himself is persecuted.  When the church is cared for, it is as if Jesus himself is cared for.  They are one and the same.  The church is Christ's body on earth with His Spirit living in us.  Therefore, we must remember to love the church as Christ does.  

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5) Why is persecuting the Church the same as persecuting Jesus Himself? What is the bond between Jesus and His Church? Why must we show reverence toward Christ's Church and not disparage it? 
Saul had watched the growth of the Christian faith, and saw it as a threat to his own religion. So, he was on a mission to destroy this wicked sect. And when Jesus asks him the penetrating question: “Why do you persecute Me?” Saul realised that Jesus identifies Himself with the believers Saul is seeking to destroy. Jesus and His disciples are one (Mat 10:40; 25:45), for they are members of His body (Eph 5:30). In other words, persecuting the Church is the same as persecuting Jesus Himself. That is, what Saul has been doing to the Christians, he has perpetrated against Jesus. The Church is the body of Christ, of which He is the head. “God placed all things under His feet and appointed Him to be head over everything for the Church, which is His body, the fulness of Him who fills everything in every way” (Eph 1:22-23). The body of Christ is made up of all believers in Jesus Christ from the day of Pentecost until Christ’s return. For this reason, we are not to belittle, mock, or ridicule it. 

• 5 months later...

Persecuting the Church is the same as persecuting Jesus because we are representing Jesus at this time until he returns. Jesus is the one that started the church so the bond is supposed to be like that of a husband’s and wife’s bond. We must show reverence toward Christ’s Church because Jesus is our King.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Acts 9:4-5)

Why is persecuting the Church the same as persecuting Jesus Himself?

What is the bond between Jesus and His Church?

Why must we show reverence toward Christ's Church and not disparage it?

Jesus is the Head of the Church.  When the Real Church is being persecuted, it is the same as persecuting Jesus Himself.  

In our body, if the foot is hurt, the whole body is hurting.  If there is an ingrown hair nodule, the whole body hurts.  Not just that place where the hair is growing the wrong direction.  So too, when the Real True Church is hurting, the whole body, of which Christ is part, viz., the Head, is hurting.  So Christ and the Church are ONE.