JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Acts 9:9-19) God seemed to initiate Saul’s conversion. How did God use Ananias in ministry to Saul? How important is listening and obedience in ministry – even when we don’t understand? Are you prepared if God were to call you to minister to a high-profile person in his Kingdom?

• 2 months later...

Yes, God initiated Saul's conversion, as, perhaps, he initiates the conversion of all of us. Saul was jerked out of a hostile, bigoted mindset by being suddenly blinded by God. Saul's blindness is both figurative and literal -- Saul was blind to God and his own hatred, thinking what he was doing to Christians was good and moral; he was also physically blinded.

I have seen people "blinded" by God, not physically but in finances, health or relationships.  Sometimes people are pushed off His path by adverse events -- but other people, myself included, who have suffered greatly, have turned to God with greater fervor and desire. This may be His pattern: God brings us closer to Him using horrible events and suffering. He could do otherwise, but chooses our suffering. 

Ananias restored only Saul's physical sight as an agent of God. God Himself, presumably, dealt with Paul's attitude. God could have restored Saul's sight, but chose to use Ananias.

-- I'm curious why God chose Paul. Obviously he's a man of many abilities, learning and sophistication, but God also chose men of lesser ability including many of the disciples.

-- I'm also curious why God tasked Ananias, an ordinary believer, to be His instrument to restore Saul's sight.  After Ananias listened to God -- he must have heard a clear, audible voice -- he hesitantly obeyed. I'm so relieved to read that God wasn't angry at Ananias' doubts and worries. When God told him that Paul had been chosen, Ananias must have heard those words clearly and then obeyed. 

--

I'm not particularly impressed with power, status or money, so yes, I believe God can use me in this way. I also hope he uses me with people of less power, status and money.  My fear is that I won't hear His voice clearly and will therefore miss His assignment. I pray to be open and obedient like Ananias. To hear clearly. To respond promptly.

Q2.God uses Ananias to help Saul by going to him, in order for Saul to receive the Holy Spirit and so that Saul’s sight might be restored. Ananias was instrumental in preparing Saul for this very new and different journey he is about to embark on. Ananias listened to what the Lord Jesus had to say to him about Saul, he did question and tell the Lord why Saul was present in Damascus. Ananias still listened and obeyed Jesus despite his own feelings. This is a lesson for us… Ananias didn’t understand, this was a man all Christians fled from and Jesus wanted him to go to Saul. Despite all his misgivings, after his initial words to Jesus, He listened to Jesus and he obeyed , we must also listen and obey when we are being directed by the Lord. No matter how hard it may be we must have faith and trust in the One who is directing us. We have great examples of those who trusted God in the Bible: Ambraham left everything he knew and set off not knowing where he was going. Noah built an ark even though he was miles from any water and he was being scoffed at by all his neighbours. Because God had directed these two men they listened and obeyed.

I don’t know if I am prepared! I hope I would know for sure that God was directing me and that I would listen and obey my Lord and Saviour. 

God used Ananias to heal Saul and baptize him into the faith.  Acts 9:19 says that Paul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus.  I assume that Ananias introduced Paul to the other disciples in the area.  Church is a community, not a one-man show.  Paul needed a new family now that he would no longer belong to the traditional Jewish faith.  Listening and obedience are very important.  That was why God was so unhappy with the Israelites.  He wanted obedience more than sacrifice, even when you don't understand.  Most likely we won't understand because God's ways are not our ways and we cannot fathom His wisdom, so it is important just to be obedient and faithful.  I don't feel prepared at all to minister to a high-profile person or anyone really.  I just pray that the Spirit will speak through me as promised and that I won't mess things up by inserting my own thoughts/ideas.  

Q2. (Acts 9:9-19) God seemed to initiate Saul's conversion. How did God use Ananias in ministry to Saul?

God revealed His plan to use Saul to reach the Gentiles and directed Ananias to go and pray for him, lay his hands on him to prepare him for his role for his new boss, the Lord Jesus Christ.

How important is listening and obedience in ministry -- even when we don't understand?

Listening, understanding and obeying is very important to discharging our assignments for the Lord God Almighty correctly.

Are you prepared if God were to call you to minister to a high-profile person in his Kingdom?

I cannot say for sure that I am prepared but I pray that the Lord God will anoint and prepare and use me for His work. But He has to make it clear that He is the One talking to me and not my imagination.

Q2. (Acts 9:9-19) God seemed to initiate Saul's conversion. How did God use Ananias in ministry to Saul? How important is listening and obedience in ministry - even when we don't understand? Are you prepared if God were to call you to minister to a high-profile person in His Kingdom? 
Yes, God had wonderful plans for Saul. He is to be the apostle to the Gentiles. We see God using Ananias, one of the ordinary believers in Damascus, to visit Saul. Ananias explains the purpose of his visit calling him “Brother Saul”. This was a touching display of Christian grace and love, expressing full fellowship with the new convert. He lays hands on Saul that he might receive his sight and that he might be filled with the Holy Spirit. God knows what He is doing! If we receive clear instructions and these don’t contradict the Word, then we are to trust the Lord, and proceed even if we don’t understand. And even if called to minister to a high-profile person in His Kingdom. 

• 5 months later...

God had Ananias go to Saul and with God’s power removed Saul’s blindness. Then Saul was baptized. It is very important to listen and obey in ministry because we will probably never understand what God is doing. So we need to always be listening to what God is telling us. I would only prepared if God is calling me to do it because He will be with me and directing me.

• 1 year later...

Q2. (Acts 9:9-19)

God seemed to initiate Saul's conversion. How did God use Ananias in ministry to Saul?

How important is listening and obedience in ministry -- even when we don't understand?

Are you prepared if God were to call you to minister to a high-profile person in his Kingdom?

Ananias was used as an instrument to get Saul out of his temporary physical blindness and possibly overwhelming almost confusion, as to what had happened to him.  Ananias basically confirmed and accepted Saul into the Christian family.  Saul was called to bear the Name of Jesus before Gentiles,  kings  and  the Children of Israel.  He was also shown what great things he would suffer for Christ's sake.  Ananias put his hands on Saul , who then was filled with the the Holy Spirit.  Also he acknowledged him as Brother.  Then something like scales fell off his eyes.  Saul was then baptized (we are not told that Ananias had anything to do with it, but he sure initiated the continuation on the Spiritual Road , which had started when he saw the bright light.)

To listen is fulfilling only part of an assignment.  Listening and obeying go hand-in-hand.   

May God grant me ears to hear and willingness to obey at all times.