JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Acts 9:28-29) We are not to be quarrelsome we know (2 Timothy 2:24-26), but what is the role of debate and argument in evangelism? What is the value of studying the Scriptures and the arguments for the divinity of Jesus for leading people to Christ? Have you prepared yourself in this way?

• 2 months later...

Debate and argument play an important role in evangelism. By debating you are able to convince your listeners about the truth of the Word of God.

It is imperative to study scriptures so that you can base your arguments on what on what the Word of God is saying. If you base your arguments on scriptures you will not be deceived by those who are using God's Word for their own benefit.

I always  read my Bible so that I can understand the truth about the Word of God.

Q3. The role of debate and argument in evangelism is to discuss and talk about things that people don’t understand or misunderstand or just don’t agree with in Christianity. This must be done in a gentle and respectful way. The more we know about the Bible and the most common stumbling blocks to believing the divinity of Jesus the more able we will be to confidently debate and lead people to the truth about Jesus and all He did for us. I do not feel prepared to debate the divinity of Jesus.

YES!! Debate!! 

Debate has advantages other than bringing people to Christ. For one, debating non-believers hones your faith. It makes you stronger. Quicker on the uptake. Secondly, thinking aloud through issues that are contentious, even in the body of Christ, only makes the body of Christ stronger. It is my wee opinion that there's not enough of debate in the church today, that we're too timid and unwilling to correct or be corrected.

Am I prepared? I'll never be prepared enough, but yea, I'm prepared, so repeatedly God has put me in circumstances in which I'm the only Christian. Some Christians are called to serve within the body -- others stand on the threshold between Christianity and secularism, as emissaries more than missionaries. I need to do more. 

On 11/3/2021 at 2:52 PM, Krissi said:

YES!! Debate!! 

Debate has advantages other than bringing people to Christ. For one, debating non-believers hones your faith. It makes you stronger. Quicker on the uptake. Secondly, thinking aloud through issues that are contentious, even in the body of Christ, only makes the body of Christ stronger. It is my wee opinion that there's not enough of debate in the church today, that we're too timid and unwilling to correct or be corrected.

Am I prepared? I'll never be prepared enough, but yea, I'm prepared, so repeatedly God has put me in circumstances in which I'm the only Christian. Some Christians are called to serve within the body -- others stand on the threshold between Christianity and secularism, as emissaries more than missionaries. I need to do more. 

Amen and amen!  I can't think of anything to add.  Krissi you hit the nail on the head!

Thank you, KR, both for this comment and the one a couple days ago. I also appreciate your prayers, more than you know.

Too, it's nice to discover a kindred soul, even if online.  Carry on in Him, dear brother/sister!

Q3. (Acts 9:28-29) We are not to be quarrelsome we know (2 Timothy 2:24-26), but what is the role of debate and argument in evangelism?

There are times debate may be needful to argue a point to enable the hearer to understand and see the other side of the coin. Jesus and Paul debated with the Jews in different occasions.

What is the value of studying the Scriptures and the arguments for the divinity of Jesus for leading people to Christ?

Studying the scriptures enlightens/ educates/ equips us with knowledge and facts to use in times of need especially when one meets those who are ignorant of the message of salvation.

Have you prepared yourself in this way?

Yes I am preparing myself particularly through the various studies with Dr. Pastor Ralph. Thank you Sir.

Q3. (Acts 9:28-29) We are not to be quarrelsome we know (2 Timothy 2:24-26), but what is the role of debate and argument in evangelism? What is the value of studying the Scriptures and the arguments for the divinity of Jesus for leading people to Christ? Have you prepared yourself in this way? 
It is up to us, as believers, to defend the Christian faith. In the world today there are more and more people who don’t believe in our Lord, the God of the Bible. One could almost say they hate our Lord Jesus, and mock us for believing in Him. On top of this we have so many false teachings floating around. False teachers that promote false doctrines, leading people astray, either on purpose or through ignorance. The way to stand up for our Lord Jesus is by studying the Scriptures and understanding the most important doctrines of Redemption, of God, of Man, of Christ and the Holy Spirit, of …, and its practical value for living the Christian life. Being able to discern the truth from falsehood. We will be able to defend our faith in debates or arguments. “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15). This should always be done in love with “gentleness and respect”, never involving any quarrelsome attitude or disrespect. Have I prepared myself in this way? I’m truly trying my best, but being a late starter, I have a long way still to go. 

• 5 months later...

The role of debate and argument in evangelism is to explain to the person about Jesus. They might have a misconception about Him. If you debate them you can bring the points of Christianity to their minds. The value of studying the Scriptures for the divinity of Jesus is so you can know what you are taking about. I have prepared myself that way.

Hi Old Jerry,

I've always enjoyed reading your posts -- keep 'em coming, please! -- and have learned much from you.

Perhaps, the role of debate and argumentation is a bit larger than evangelism, though I agree that evangelism should always be our primary focus. I'm thinking, as I type, of medieval scholastic like Aquinas who argued in detail every wee bit of Christian theology, and whose writing helped keep the Roman Catholic church on the straight and narrow, when that was possible. Even today, theology isn't settled. And, more than that, the practical outworking of our faith in politics, culture, the church, family, etc., is certainly not settled. We just read about the role of women in marriage, for example, which is a contentious topic -- certainly debate has a function settling this question, if possible?

You may not think any settling is possible ... you may be right. Maybe such topics are best left ignored. 

God Bless You, Sir,

Krissi

• 1 year later...

Q3. (Acts 9:28-29)

We are not to be quarrelsome we know (2 Timothy 2:24-26), but what is the role of debate and argument in evangelism?

What is the value of studying the Scriptures and the arguments for the divinity of Jesus for leading people to Christ? Have you prepared yourself in this way?

Debates and so called arguments enable you to explain what you believe and why. It can point out to the one who  is hesitant, why you believe something.  In Jesus' day they also learnt by answering questions.  Invariably by the answers given one can see/hear what the  person believes.