JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q13. Peace

Pastor Ralph

• 3 months later...

Q1.Love is most at home in times of peace.

Q2.Winning is pointless unless it brings peace. In this world that rarely happens, wars cause bloodshed, cruelty, displacement of people, rape etc. Jesus is the only one who can bring true peace. These verses show us how it will be when Jesus comes.

Q3.I can bring peace around me by living close to God, through prayer, study, and meditation. This will bless those I live with and those I come in contact with in my daily life. 

As I look back on my life I realize that competing and winning have been, and still are to a lesser degree, extraordinarily important to me, particularly when compared to others from a similar background. This is my deep, constitutive personality, one that is contrary to peace, one that gravitates to the challenge of "war."  I don't think that the desire to win necessarily produces cruelty, rape, etc. In my case, it drives me to do my best, that is, my personal excellence. It's a motivating force. Those against whom I compete are like place-markers that inspire me to do better. 

This is not a peace-making attitude, surely, and I'm not a peaceful person inside. But I still don't think winning is emptiness. And, I also think that it's quite possible to love those against whom I'm competing, to hope they, too, do their best. (I still want to win, however!)  Love and winning are not contrasting or opposite.  

War is horrible for both sides, winning and losing, but I dare say I'd rather be on the winning side here, too. To read of what happens to the vanquished at war is to be faced with the horrors of murder, rape, pillage, etc. in a much more vicious form than those who win have to endure.  

I just got done reading the transcript for the Nuremberg Doctor's Trial in 1946.  Yesterday.  Those horrible people preyed on the "losers" at a time of war, the Jews, Poles, children, and infirmed. I'm still reeling ...

One of the things Christians can do is make our strength into peace. We do so by defending the losers at war, by standing up for the defenseless. This is most easily done, or perhaps more effectively done, from a position of strength. A prime minister can order his troops to help victims, for example, in a numbers that a sole soldier cannot do. But to get to that position of power, that PM had to WIN electoral battles. He had to defeat those who ran against him. 

There is such a thing as "peace through strength."

Love is most at home in times of peace. It tells us we don’t have to always win as our ultimate value but to getting along with others should be our goal. I can bring peace from Jesus to my world by living and getting along with others. That type of peace will bless me and those around me.

I think love may be more at home in times of strife.  During these times we call out for God, loved ones, the comfort of home, or mostly things we take for granted during peaceful times.  We win through peace in all types of situations.  When we know that our God has this and is in control we are truly blessed no matter where we are or what we are doing.  

Q13. (Isaiah 11:6-10) Where is love most at home - in times of strife or in times of peace? What does our passage say about the emptiness of winning as our ultimate value? How can you bring peace from Jesus in your world? Who will it bless? 
On our own, we can never avoid strife in the world around us, but by fixing our thoughts on our Lord, we can know perfect peace even in times of turmoil (Isa 26:3). 
Once we accept Jesus Christ into our hearts we become new creatures and our rebellious nature is transformed into one of love and peace. As our minds are focussed on God and His Word we become steady and stable, not shaken by the surrounding chaos (Php 4:7). We will only have perfect peace when Jesus Christ comes again to reign over the earth. The reason such tranquillity is possible is because the earth will be full of the knowledge of our Lord (Isa 11:9; Jer 31:34; Hab 2:14). But, this is more than people knowing intellectually about Jesus Christ, they will have a personal relationship with Him, and will live according to God’s principles and Word. One way in which we can bring the peace from Jesus into the world is by spreading the Word of God. The reason being, God has entrusted us with the ministry of reconciliation (2 Cor 5:18-20). As we share His passion for peace and reconciliation, the breaking down of walls between people, we will be blessed and recognised as true children of God. 

Love is mostly shown in the household when everyone is happy. When there is an issue with one person in the house, it can destroy the peace within for everyone.

Winning is important to competitive people. Everyone wants to win but winning competitions in the world we live in doesn't matter. Being the best can cause loneliness as well. It can be meaningless.

Winning souls for God is more important and that's how Christians can bring peace. Christians will have eternal life with peace.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:58 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q13. (Isaiah 11:6-10)  Where is love most at home – in times of strife or in times of peace? What does our passage say about the emptiness of winning as our ultimate value? How can you bring peace from Jesus to your world? Who will it bless?

Love is shown in times of peace, when everything is good. Our value should not be in winning but in Jesus Christ. By living love as Jesus did it will bless me and everyone I come in contact with.

Q13. (Isaiah 11:6-10)  Where is love most at home – in times of strife or in times of peace? What does our passage say about the emptiness of winning as our ultimate value? How can you bring peace from Jesus to your world? Who will it bless?

1. a. Love is most at home when their is peace in the family and God is the center of the home.

b. There is strife in the home when people are not in agreement but we need to give in at times in order to bring peace, praying about it,  asking God to bring a solution.  We don't have to win every argument, don't let it bring hatred.  What does God want? He says, love one another as I have loved you.  What do you have when you argue - unhappiness, stress, emptiness, high blood pressure and more.

c.  You can peace from Jesus to your world, but telling others how much Christ loves them and that He died to bring them freedom and eternal life.

d. It will bless you for witnessing and those you tell with a new life in Christ.

Q13. (Isaiah 11:6-10) Where is love most at home -- in times of strife or in times of peace?

In times of peace. True love is the bringer/keeper of peace. 

What does our passage say about the emptiness of winning as our ultimate value?

Depending on the "winning". It can so easily be the negative side and bring about lifelong bitterness and estrangement. "Winning" should be peace on both sides. 

How can you bring peace from Jesus in your world?

Living fairly. Living by the Word. Truly living as God requires. Not just here and there. But in every way. 

Who will it bless?

Peace blesses both the bringer and the one to whom peace is brought. 

Q13. (Isaiah 11:6-10) Where is love most at home -- in times of strife or in times of peace?

Peace.

Just vanity

How can you bring peace from Jesus in your world? Who will it bless?

Know the Prince of Peace and be filled with his peace and joy and also pass the knowledge around by evangelism.

I think Love is most at home in time of peace. 
Winning brings death and destruction , slaughter amongst other things in between, it all depends in what we are waring for, is it status, is it money, could it be financial freedom.  When we are at war with each other it seems no life is spared in our efforts to be victorious which rewards us with, life long slavery and unrest.  And most of the time we are not even realizing it.

I can bring the peace of Jesus into my world by staying in the word, by being  filled with the Holy Spirit, in which will help me to live out the light of Christ. And by doing thing this Christ’s love will radiate through me. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where is love most at home – in times of strife or in times of peace?

I think love is found most at home in times of peace.

Winning is not important anymore once you develop a personal relationship with the Lord.

How can you bring peace from Jesus to your world? Who will it bless?

I can bring peace from Jesus by keeping in his word and knowing him for myself.  We all will benefit and be blessed.

• 11 months later...

Love is at home in times of peace of course.

One day everything will be over as the rule of the Lord leads to general love, peace and unity by and for all.

How can you bring peace from Jesus in your world? Who will it bless?

By showing love for one another.

• 1 year later...

Love is most at home in the time of peace because in the time of peace the desire to be victorious at any cost does not exit. There is no need or desire to trample on the weakest among us for we can live in harmony and not like ravenous wolves.

It our ultimate value is winning then we have missed the mark.  God has already won the battle, our goal should be to be like Christ

We can bring peace from Jesus in our world by being His example.  When we show meek and humble, showing love and compassion as Jesus did it will not only bless us but others around us.

1. a. Love is most at home when their is peace in the family and God is the center of the home.

b. There is strife in the home when people are not in agreement but we need to give in at times in order to bring peace, praying about it,  asking God to bring a solution.  We don't have to win every argument, don't let it bring hatred.  What does God want? He says, love one another as I have loved you.  What do you have when you argue - unhappiness, stress, emptiness, high blood pressure and more.

c.  You can bring peace from Jesus to your world, by telling others how much Christ loves them and that He died to bring them freedom and eternal life.

d. It will bless you for witnessing and those you tell with a new life in Christ.

• Where is love most at home -- in times of strife or in times of peace?
    • I think it all depends on the type of family and other factors around. One might say in times of strife as family try to give each other moral support and encouragement or in times of peace since there may not be any conflict
  • What does our passage say about the emptiness of winning as our ultimate value?
    • I think from the passage winning is not an issue at all since on the day of the Messiah no one will have the urge to harm another since everyone will get to know God and experience that personal relationship with the Lord, that is full of love, peace and harmony.
  • How can you bring peace from Jesus in your world?
    • You may bring peace by trying as much as possible to one's world by binging people to Christ so that each has a personal experience that gives them inner peace which can then exude to one's sphere of influence
  • Who will it bless?
    • all will be blessed, the 'peacemaker' and all around them