JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q23. Gifts

Pastor Ralph

• 3 months later...

From the wisemen the gifts are cutomary for a high born child to be king.  The place they found him must have surprised them but still they worshipped him as the child thatthe signsof the heavens pointed to. It is possible to give and even worship without love.

However there is an unseen presence in this event. God th Father present in love providing for the famly through these gifts . In this sense the gifts with deep religious signficance are gifts of love and provision.     

My life is lived in service of God in my calling and in giving what God has first given me. My obedience tohis will and the way I give not out of duty but as a  willing act of worship given in thanks and praise demonstrates love, especially when that giving is done out of love for my neighbour to meet their needs, seeking justice and loving mercy  and doing so humbly -not for show or reward.

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12) Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom?

Thinking seriously and honestly, our gift giving is mostly traditional. I pray that I will be motivated by love to give gifts at this season and beyond.

How were the Magi's gifts fitting for the Christ Child?

They were fitting for the Christ Child because they were gifts prompted by the Spirit of God to be given to King of the world and not just to an ordinary child.

What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something? What gifts demonstrate your love?

For me, I pray I will give Him my whole heart full of sacrifice of worship, praise and thanksgiving for all He has done for me, particularly for coming to the world as a man to die for my sin that I may live with Him in eternity.

The magi’s gifts were given to pay homage in adoration of the King. It would have been customary for them to bring gifts from one’s land to another land’s king. The magi were also expressing divine adoration to the child they believed to be King of the Jews and Deliverer of all nations. Our gifts should also be given with love in our hearts to show that we value others. 

The gifts were fitting because they each represented an aspect of this King’s attributes: gold for royalty, frankincense for humanity (used in burial), and myrrh for divinity (used in tabernacle and temple worship as instructed by God).

I can offer Him a worshipful heart and a body to serve in whatever way He shows me to do, both to my family and those outside my family. May anything I do be from a joyful heart, not done grudgingly.

Gifts that demonstrate my love could include:

Family gathering preparations that I know will be enjoyed and bring happy memories.

Spending time with an elderly parent that is alone, to make them feel loved and valued.

Looking for ways to give to others in need.

Making others feel welcome in my home.

Doing all in love, in the power of the Spirit, and for Christ’s sake (not for self but to honor Him).

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12) Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom? For the wise men it was likely per custom but we don't know what they know for sure about the Messiah. It was definitely a gift of love from God to help provide for their exile in Egypt. 

How were the Magi's gifts fitting for the Christ Child? Definitely not what a toddler would have wanted but fitting for him as the King of Kings. 

What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something?  My worship, praise, thanksgiving and service to others. 

What gifts demonstrate your love?  Giving generously when I have little to give, helping hands for anyone in need, a listening ear for those he need it, praying for others. 

I think that the gift-giving on this occasion was a mere custom because the Magi was just following a star and had not seen the Christ Child. It probably turned into love after they met him but in the beginning was just a mere custom.

The gifts were fitting for the Christ Child because it was a prophecy of the life that He would live and be put into the grave.

The gifts that I can offer Jesus is my life and obedience.

My devotion to the person.

1.  Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom?The gross, materialistic excess that is today's "holiday shopping" is not love, but an advertisement-driven custom. It is possible, though, to give a gift motivated by love. A love letter comes to mind.

2.  How were the Magi’s gifts fitting for the Christ Child? These are grown-up gifts, used to subsidize the family until they could return home. These gifts show respect and homage, even deference.

3.  What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something?  I am thinking of spiritual gifts, here, as well as natural giftedness. But prayers are my primary way of giving to God. Praise and worship are the gifts I give to Him.

4.  What gifts demonstrate your love.  By mirroring what He did for me -- giving Him my life -- I give the most. The most self-sacrificial act is the most loving act possible. Gifts have to be self-sacrificial to be truly gifts, to take time and effort, thought and anticipation.

Q1. There are a couple of ways of looking at the Magi’s gifts. They were customary in that they were given by them to a King in fact to the most important king of all time. I wonder were they aware of who He really was? If they were aware maybe they did love Him because of all they had studied about Him, and maybe they realised He would be there Saviour. I like to think the gifts were gifts of love rather than custom.

Q2.They were fitting because they were gifts for a King: gold the most precious of metals, Frankincense which could be used at burial, and Myrrh used in worship in the temple. All of these gifts were precious commodities which could help Joseph provide for his family in difficult times. They were not presents you would bring to an ordinary toddler they were gifts suited to a King child. 

Q3.Gifts that mean something to Jesus are things that I do because I love Him and want to honour Him with my life. It doesn’t matter how small or insignificant they are, as long as I do them for Him as an act of worship.

Q4.Giving cheerfully as much as I can and a little extra. Because all I am doing is giving back to God what He has given to me.Visiting people I know who are alone and lonely. Being involved in different organisations eg Food Bank. Children’s Charity shop. These involve my gifts of money, and time and are done because I am God’s gloves and I love Him.

On 8/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12) Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom? How were the Magi’s gifts fitting for the Christ Child? What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something? What gifts demonstrate your love?

Out of love, in custom..out of love for God, in Custom for that time.

The gifts were fit for a King and a King he is.

I think the best gifts we give Jesus is to give of ourselves to others in so many ways, to the poor the lonely the hurting.

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12) Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom? How were the Magi's gifts fitting for the Christ Child? What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something? What gifts demonstrate your love? 
It was customary in the East to show respect for persons of distinction by making presents or offerings of this kind. Here it is more than a custom, the gifts are not only pictured here as wealthy but also warm-hearted and worshipful. To think the Wise Men did not hesitate to make a long and arduous journey to offer their treasures to Him, to honour Him, and render homage to Him. To them it was important to not only bow down before Him, but also to present Him with lavish and appropriate gifts. Gold, for He was and is indeed a king, King of kings and Lord of lords. Frankincense, for He is indeed God - the fulness of the godhead dwells in Him. Myrrh, for He is also man, destined for death, and this by His own choice. On our own we are infected with sin, and all our so-called good deeds/gifts are like filthy rags. Our only hope, therefore, is faith in Jesus Christ, who can cleanse us and bring us into God's presence. The only gifts we can bring to Him is our humble obedience and willingness to be His servant and creature. We receive our salvation not through gifts but through faith in Jesus Christ, we cannot earn it, and we accept it as a gift from our loving Heavenly Father. He, in His righteousness and wonderful love, offers us eternal life. 

On 8/29/2021 at 3:09 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12) Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom? How were the Magi’s gifts fitting for the Christ Child? What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something? What gifts demonstrate your love?

1.  a. Gift giving on this occasion today is mere custom and motivated by sales and money.   It motivated me to see when Santa Claus was introduced into the picture and Jesus pushed to the background.  Don't people realize that he is the answer to all their problems.  He is their Messiah that came to take away their sin, addictions, sickness, deliverance from different hang ups, prejudices, etc.  Sure, we love our family, but most people here in America don't need anything but to know their Messiah has come.  Jesus is the greatest gift of all.

b. The Magi's gifts were fitting for the Christ Child because He is The King deserving of Gold,  Frankincense - Worthy of Worship (deity), Myrrh - His humanity and dying for us.

c.  What gifts can I give Him - Offer my body as a living sacrifice (Romans 12:1), obeying His Word, praise, worship and thanksgiving.  

d.  Being obedient by doing His will and not my own. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think for most Gift Giving is traditional, but I think the gifts that we give should be out of Love.  I give gifts to those I love or to those in whom God wants me to give to, in order to demonstrate his love.   Although I have to admit I don’t always follow his wish. 
I think the Magi’s gifts were appropriate, because he was a King and these were gifts you would present to a king.  God’s plan, even though he was a young child God made a way for them to be taken care of. 
The Gift I can give him is my self wholly.  
Whatever I have is his,  but my my love for him is demonstrated through my heart of giving.

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12) Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom? How were the Magi's gifts fitting for the Christ Child? What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something? What gifts demonstrate your love? 

Much has been said by all that have answered these questions. 

For these men to have come to the decision to make and actually to make the arduous journey , which seems to have taken place after seeing the star, surely their must be some kind of feeling more than just custom. 

These gifts were fitting as the Christ-Child was indeed King yea, much more than just king, He was the King of all kings, the Lord of all lords. the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. He too would die as a man dies only His was a cruel death on the cross and His was a sacrificial death in place of all mankind, thereby conquering death. He alone is the One to be worshipped. Yea, so "strange" as they might have seemed GOLD FRANKINSENSE and MYRHH were the right things to bring. 

I can only bring myself. Just as i am. Whatever I do, say think if that is all for Him to do with as He sees fit. Surrender all to Him. That is what i desire to give and lay down before Him. 

I yield my mind, will, emotions to Him

Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom?

Gift giving involved custom.  Whenever you came before a king, your presented them with gifts.

How were the Magi’s gifts fitting for the Christ Child?

These gifts were fitting because the gifts represented specimens of the products of their country.  The significance in gold for Christ's royalty, frankincense for his deity, and myrrh for his humanity,ultimately his burial.

What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something? What gifts demonstrate your love?

I can offer myself to be used by God.  My time, talent and treasure.

• 11 months later...

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12) Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom?

I am very sure many if not most of the gift giving are mere custom and not motivated by love.

How were the Magi's gifts fitting for the Christ Child?

They were expensive and aromatic items usually used in the temple worship and as gifts to very important personalities like kings. Baby Jesus is the king of kings and thus well deserves such gifts.

The right gift to offer to Jesus is the gift of my whole heart and life.

It was a mere custom. You bring a gift when you come before the king.

They were gifts suitable for a king child. The gifts expressed respect for the baby and delight for the ones who bowed down before Jesus.

I can offer Jesus what is inside of me to be truly obedient.

When I am humble and willing to help others as much as possible. Not putting myself first, but remembering to seek the Lord which helps me to grow spiritually.

• 1 year later...

Gift giving on this occasion was one of mere custom.  And our giving at Christmas tends to be more of tradition than love.

The Magi's gifts were fitting for the Christ Child because they were representative of His royalty ,His deity, and His humanity.

The gifts that we can offer cross that would mean something are our hearts, our obedience, and our willingness to serve.

The gifts that demonstrates my love is keeping His commandments, compassion, car, and concern for others, and my willingness to humbly bow in submission to His will.

• 2 weeks later...

Q23. (Matthew 2:7-12)

• Does gift-giving on this occasion involve love or mere custom?
    • I think it involved love and more when you look at the significance of the gifts
  • How were the Magi's gifts fitting for the Christ Child?
    • Each of the three gifts had special significance
      • Gold for Christ's royalty, frankincense for his deity, and myrrh for his humanity,
  • What gifts can you offer Jesus that mean something?
    • I would like to offer myself and ask the Lord to use me as He wishes. Hopefully to evangelise and bring more people to Christ
  • What gifts demonstrate your love?
    • Uum