JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Common Sense

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Common Sense
  • 2 weeks later...

Common sense or nowadays people tend to say science is the way to go. Whether its abortion or LGBT rights/gender theory many of the liberals has been pushing for this using science as the way forward.

But science is not going to take us to heaven. Only faith in the Living God and obeying His Word will do. Science does not change the bread and wine to the Body and Blood of Christ  but faith in His promised Word does that.

So yes, faith is the way to the miraculous and its should also guide us in our moral life. Not common sense...not science.

What is the appropriate role of common sense in our lives? The appropriate role of common sense in our lives is in making rational decisions on matters requiring informed judgment in a particular situation. This role enables us to envisage and evaluate the consequences of the actions we take. Common sense helps us to reduce irrational choices of actions on a lot of matters. Common sense is applied to matters like, for example, crossing roads, overtaking a slower vehicle, etc. which will involve intelligence to perceive and evaluate the viability of such an action. God created us with the capacity to think.

Does that supplement or contradict faith in God’s ability to work miracles outside the natural order? No common sense does not contradict faith in God's ability. It is wisdom coming from God on matters of immediate and actionable course of action. Faith on the other hand is a belief system in the unseen but clearly evident result of a course of action. As in the widow's case (1 Kings 17:14), Elijah had to re-assure her and that action of believing that the flour nor the oil will deplete is faith. So, in conclusion, common sense does not contradict faith but may conflict with how we perceive God's works if we do not combine faith with works, common sense will tell us to work and if we do not but rely only on believing what God can do for us the whole cycle falls in nullity.

I struggle with these questions.

Since I have never heard God's audible voice, I sometimes doubt whether I have heard -- with my inner or spiritual ear -- my Lord correctly. His still small voice can be smothered by my active, clamoring mental voices. Thus, I don't always know when to use common sense or when I to stretch my faith, expecting God to actively intervene, perhaps miraculously. 

It's quite possible to "mishear" God. Common sense eliminates this possibility. It's the safe option, isn't it? If I use common sense/rationality and still make a lousy decision, at least this decision had defendable logic behind it. I don't look like a fool.

But ... if I only rationally evaluate a situation and choose courses of action that "makes sense," how are my decisions any different than those made by unbelievers?

My father is an atheist. When he has to make a decision, he takes out a sheet of graph paper and makes two columns. The first column are his arguments FOR a particular course of action; the second AGAINST it. For years, and even now, I have done the same thing. This is common sense. Pastor Ralph calls it "wisdom."

There's another way to go about decision-making which is to expect God to intervene on my behalf. This is NOT the safer option because the possibility of making a mistake looms large. The witness of Christians who "stepped out in faith" and then failed is not only mocked by unbelievers but is also a huge faith-deflator for that Christian. 

Yet faith, not common sense, distinguishes Christian from non-Christian decision making. Christians are supposed to make "leaps of faith" after praying to hear His voice clearly. This is the essence of faith. It's lies beyond rationality. Beyond the expected. It challenges scientific and philosophical orthodoxy. It's the resurrection ...

I've known people who have "claimed" healings that subsequently didn't happened. I don't know how to think about this. Perhaps they stretched beyond their faith? But isn't faith the act of taking a leap, of making that stretch, of trusting in God's promises?

"We walk by faith, not appearance ..."  2 cor 5

God created with a brain.  A mind that functions in the way God intended allows us to think reasonably and rationally.  The secular thinker also will claim that common sense say that evolution is natural.  But the world is driven by personal gratification and pleasure and spontaneous actions and wisdom and common sense is not pushed aside. The appropriate use of common sense is to live by God’s laws and commands and the Word.  Proverbs say wisdom come first.

Biblically, common sense can be thought of as a combination of wisdom and discretion. Wisdom is knowing what to do; discretion is knowing when and where to do it.  

God’s decision and ability to intervene into the natural order with miraculous acts is in His timing and depth or level of healing and restoration.  It’s supernatural so that it is not of ourselves or way we pray, worship or the passion we use.  It’s always His timing and purpose. It’s not common and for non believers it’s doesn’t make common sense but to those who believe by faith it’s God moving by His Spirt to bring renewal and hope and to turn people to Himself 

Q3. (Proverbs 1:1-7) 
What is the appropriate role of common sense in our lives? Does that supplement or contradict faith in God's ability to work miracles outside the natural order? 
Common sense helps us make correct decisions and sound judgment in practical matters. It is knowledge we take for granted, the knowledge we learn through experience. We are not born with common sense but develop it over time. As unbelievers our common sense is there for our own self-preservation, and may lead to a life of self-seeking, self-serving, and ultimately self-destruction (Luke 9:24-25). What we need is a completely new mindset, we need to be regenerated. Apart from God we are ignorant of spiritual things (Rom 1:22). Over time we begin to recognise who God is and respond by revering, trusting, worshipping, obeying, and serving Him. We should be transformed by the renewing of our mind (Rom 12:2), which means that we should think the way God thinks, as revealed in the Bible. Remembering that His thoughts are not our thoughts, neither are our ways His ways (Isa 55:8). Now we experience the direct guidance of God in our lives. Everything God says is righteous and faithful, and His Word is completely trustworthy (Psalm 119:138). To believe God's Word is just common sense – more than common sense it is wisdom. It is by faith and grace we believe, we live by faith, not by sight (2 Cor 5:7). This higher level of common sense supplements our faith in God’s ability in all matters, including miracles. 

Q3What is an appropriate  role of common sense in  our lives?

Common sense enable us to reason and to make wise decisions  about ourselves  and every situations  that we found ourselves  in , we are able to  make  sound decisions 

3 1Does that supplement  or  contradict faith in God's ability  to work miracles  outside natural oder? 

No No it doesn't  , but with use of common sense we are able to understand  Gid's word and Abe able to apply our faith. Contradiction may happen if you fail to understand through the use of common sense , that faith is substance of things hoped for , at times you do not have to reason faith but take God's  word as it is.

For the Christian believer, common sense is the Holy Spirit living in us and helping us in our weakness. This is the Spirit promised to us by God through Jesus when he was going back to the Father after the ressurrection. He is the comfortor that will lead and guide us into all truth. He is the one who will speak to God for us in our weakness.(Romans 8).Jesus said he would never leave us nor forsake us. So Proverbs are instructions on how we are to live holy lives according to the will of God,  for his purpose, for his glory! We are to listen and obey  the voice of God when he speaks. We will know when he speaks because God knows our names and knows our needs before we ask. The Holy Spirit is leading and guiding and speaking for us. We need to keep our hearts and minds open to hear and receive and welcome him in.! This is spiritual journey, not physical! Don't think and read and discern scriptures with the physical mind but with spiritual which is the mind of Christ.

Q3. (Proverbs 1:1-7)

What is the appropriate role of common sense in our lives?

Does that supplement or contradict faith in God's ability to work miracles outside the natural order?

Common sense is not working against the will of God. It is not being arrogant about something. Common sense does not mean not acting in faith, it is part of the faith walk.

To me to believe God is common sense. Not to believe in Him is foolishness and does not make sense.  If we understood all He did then He would not be so great, but because He is so amazingly awesome, of course we will not understand everything.  That's what makes Him be so amazingly great.  It is common sense to believe in God's ability to work miracles outside the natural order.   If He didn't He would not be great. He would just be ordinary. 

God is AWESOME, AMAZING, FAR BEYOND WHAT WE CAN IMAGINE!!!!!!!!!!  Believing Him and following Him is common sense.  

Common sense on the natural level is developed over the years.   My mother remarked that one can have high education but lack common sense.  Tragic what terrible decisions that people make.  An old proverb here in NYC, "if everyone was jumping off the Brooklyn Bridge, would you do it?".   People are unwary and unsuspecting and due to lack of knowledge and experience, act unwisely and rashly.

Common sense doesn't contradict God's ability to work miracles.  I remember my high school days when I had big problems with high school Math.    I prepared for my state exams diligently and had to have tutoring.   I prayed as well and read the book of Proverbs out loud in my room.   I used my Common sense and asked the Holy Spirit to assist me with preparation for these difficult state exams.

Prophet Elijah utilized wisdom indeed.  He headed east to the ravine Cherith!  Good move.   There was a refuge for this precious man of God.   It wasn't a tourist site but a place of refuge for this prophet to prepare himself for a challenging ministry.   St Paul had to go into the desert for a time to prepare for the ministry as well.  Like the Prophet Ezekiel, he needed time in solitude and quiet.   Moses had to get the Egyptian ways out of his system in the Sinai  before he could go back to Egypt and rescue his people and confront the Pharaoh and the idols of Egypt.

Q3. (Proverbs 1:1-7) What is the appropriate role of common sense in our lives? Does that supplement or contradict faith in God's ability to work miracles outside the natural order?

We need to think and act on what makes sense but to ensure that the word of God guides us on our final position.

Our decision based on common sense should not contradict the word of God or our faith in God.

Q3. The environment we grew up in and the teaching and guidance of our parents or guardians influences the amount of common sense we have. It is very important in life to have common sense to guide us and influence us to make good decisions and avoid getting into trouble. When we become Christian’s our common sense is influenced by what we learn about God and by gradually become mature and wise. As we grow in faith and knowledge of God we are more and more convinced of God’s ability to work miracles outside the natural order.

We use common sense to guide us through our daily lives in what ever the circumstances may be. But God has a different plan that seems very contrary to our common sense. Stepping out and obeying God would most likely make us feel very uneasy and uncomfortable at best. However, following his word will make us better faithful and obedient servants.      

Common sense plays a role that enables us to make certain decisions or provide guidance through the things we are taught either from our parents, our community, through education, even the school of life (our experiences).  Common sense has its limitation and therefore, it is temporal. At times, our common sense can afford us to make reasonable (good) judgement.  But then, sometimes our judgement can be clouded (distracted or distorted) by matters of our emotions (envy, jealousy, etc). However, I believe that common sense does not change a person, for a young fool normally becomes an old fool.  

I strongly believe that common sense contradict faith in God's ability to work miracles outside the natural order.  Reaons being is that we  have faith.  As followers of Jesus, we don't go by what we see with our carnal eyes.  We go by the trusted word of God and the evidence provided in written testimonys we read about and/or the verabal testimonys we hear.  From this we are anchored in confidence that the evidence we have will support our hope in the miracles/promises of God will come to be.  The Bible tells us that Jesus is faithful to do all that He says He will do and God cannot lie. 

The appropriate role of common sense in our lives is vitally importance because common sense is not common it's the ability to think deeply about an matter or issue of getting results. 

The common sense is not a supplement or to contradict our faith in God because it is only strong faith in God's ability to work miracles outside the natural order. 

Common sense plays an important role in our lives. It helps us to do what is right, just and fair. It gives us knowledge and wisdom for a disciplined and prudent life. But most importantly the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. The Lord is sovereign and does according to his wish and has the ability to work miracles outside the natural order

Common sense generally guides us to do the right thing based on knowledge and judgement.

Does that supplement or contradict faith in God’s ability to work miracles outside the natural order?

It does not supplement or contradict faith.  I think it works together.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Common sense is what keeps us out of trouble. If we don’t have any then great thing could happen against us. If we get our common sense from God then that supplements our faith in God’s ability to work miracles outside the natural order. We wouldn’t know that they were miracles if it weren’t for our common sense.

• 9 months later...

• The appropriate role of common sense in our lives is God’s gift to us for guard rails throughout the different seasons of our lives per the circumstances. 

Does that supplement or contradict faith in God's ability to work miracles outside the natural order?

• Absolutely not! It is God who makes the provision of wisdom, understanding and knowledge, but all is subject to God when He demands our submission to a faith move that usually makes no logical sense.