JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q7. (1 Kings 18:30-32a) What is the significance of Elijah “rebuilding” the altar of Yahweh? What rebuilding needs to be done in your own worship practices? Your church’s? What has caused your “altar” or practice of worshipping and living before the Lord to be broken down? How will you repair it?

• 3 weeks later...

The rebuilding of the altar reminds me of other destroyed and rebuilt buildings and places, the symbolism of which is huge to people. Right now, Notre Dame is almost rebuilt after being burned in suspicious circumstances. The people are mostly secular. Perhaps the restoration of the cathedral will rekindle the flames in their heritage Christian faith.

It must have been a poignant moment when Elijah took twelve stones to rebuild, slowly, the altar with the help of other men. It represented, like Notre Dame, the rebuilding of faith, the restoration of what was and should be.

I thought a lot about rebuilding in my worship practice and am unsure of how to answer this question.

Q7. (1 Kings 18:30-32a)

What is the significance of Elijah "rebuilding" the altar of Yahweh?

The Altar of Yahweh was broken down. The stones were scattered. There had not been any regular sacrifice for a very long time.  In faith Elijah was rebuilding it as a restoration and renewal or rekindling in the hope that the nation would serve Yahweh yet again.  

It was a new start.  

There was no chance that Elijah was fooling around. He was serious. There was no falseness. It was a fresh start. They could all see clearly.  

What rebuilding needs to be done in your own worship practices? Your church's? What has caused your "altar" or practice of worshiping and living before the Lord to be broken down? How will you repair it?

Just listened to a sermon in these days about our spiritual life. In our formative years, with our parents, Grandparents, teachers and whoever we are regularly in contact with, the construction work begins.  Many will grow up going to church regularly, attending Sunday School etc.  

The next part is in the yrs when we take the step and do something with what we have learnt. Either sharpen up what we learnt and draw closer to the Lord, or discard what we learnt and shelve it. It could be other way round, where in formative yrs, you were not exposed to the Gospel and now actually find Christ.  So it is the de constrution   period where the work is scrambled up and processed or thought through for the re construction  period.  

This is what was happening in Israel.  They had been told all that Yahweh had done for them as a nation. That was the construction part. Then when they settled in, in the land of Canaan, the  de-construction period came. Their life became mingled with the lives of the people that had not been driven out or exterminated because of their wickedness.  Now Elijah saw the moral decline and the fact that Yahweh was not being worshiped.  He was hoping the Nation would reconstruct around the worship of Yahweh the One and only true God.

Our lives too need to be untangled from worldliness and reconstructed around the Living Word of God, with the Holy Spirit as our Teacher and our Guide.

Q7. (1 Kings 18:30-32a) 
What is the significance of Elijah "rebuilding" the altar of Yahweh? What rebuilding needs to be done in your own worship practices? Your church's? What has caused your "altar" or practice of worshipping and living before the Lord to be broken down? How will you repair it? 
In building the altar Elijah selected 12 stones and used 12 jars of water, one for each of the tribes - the ten tribes of the kingdom of Israel and the two tribes of Judah. He was rebuking them and reminding them that they were all part of one kingdom before going after idols, and that God was willing to unite them if only they would repent and turn from their pagan gods. They had forgotten how the Lord had chosen them out of all other people’s on earth. How He brought them out of Egypt and led them through the wilderness. How He had given them the land, the Law, and the covenant made on Mount Sinai. The promise that they were His people. Here on Mount Carmel, we see our Lord calling His people back to Him. I feel there is a lesson here for all our churches. There seems to be a growing tendency to serve the gods of self rather than serving our Lord. Instead of worshipping God, it is more about seeking entertainment and sugar-coating the Word of the Lord so as not to offend anybody. During Coved I could not attend church and I enjoyed watching the sermons on YouTube. This lasted for nearly two years. It was so much easier to watch on TV than going to church. I was getting lazy and in a comfort zone. I’m now getting into going back to church and worshipping with my fellow brothers and sisters. 

Q7. Elijah rebuilt the alter in the presence of all the people, after he had called them saying “ Come here to me”. He took twelve stone , each one representing the twelve tribes of Israel and as he built he spoke to the people of their significance. He may have reminded them of who they were , chosen people. Not Baal worshippers! Elijah was now going to prove to them that Yahweh was the one true God. There has been some disunity within our church in the last year. Steps have been taken and people have left. We are now praying that we can move forward with the business of the church. It has not been easy, and people are hurting. Prayer and practical steps as laid out in the Bible, are the steps to take. We must be compassionate but never compromising on Biblical principles.

Q7.What IA significance of Elijah rebuilding  the alternative of Yahweh?

The alter was in ruin fir a long time , Israelites  have forsaken God and begun to worship idols(baal).Elijah rebuilding  the  alter signify restoration  of relationship of people  with God, re kindle their faith in Gid  and to show them that He is still the same God who answer prayers and who have always  been with them

7.1cWhat rebuilding  needs to be  done in your own worship?

My prayer life , spend  more time with God

7.3 Church 

To have heart fir God's things

7.4 What has caused your alter or practice of worshipping  and living before  God to be brokenbdown

Busyness,  not giving myself time for  God

How will you repair it 

Spend time with God ,through  prayer , worship  and fellowship  with other believers . Making God the first in my life  above all else

The people of Israel have have fallen into deep worship of faults gods and practices. Elijah rebuilding the alter of the Lord and the miracles that fallowed reminds the people that there is only one true God and they have strayed dramatically from their true God.   

Q7. (1 Kings 18:30-32a) What is the significance of Elijah "rebuilding" the altar of Yahweh?

The significance of rebuilding the altar of Yahweh on Mt. Carmel by Elijah is to remind the Israelites of their heritage, their history and the goodness of Yahweh. He reminds them of the 12 stones that represent each of the tribes descended from Jacob, to whom the word of the Lord had come, saying 'Your name shall be Israel.'

What rebuilding needs to be done in your own worship practices? Dedication to service and timekeeping with a renewed zeal for the things of God.

Your church's?  Working together in oneness and in one accord.

What has caused your "altar" or practice of worshipping and living before the Lord to be broken down? How will you repair it? Worldly influences and the "busyness" of personal life break down the altar. Re-dedication and focusing on the bigger picture helps to fix this.

Rebuilding of the altar of Yahweh with the twelve stones, according to the twelve tribes of Israel, was a testimony of Elijah's quiet and steadfast faith.   Elijah was willing to testify for his God; God would vindicate Himself and His prophet at this altar. Elijah was being prepared to rebuild the altar; prior to Mt Carmel, was a period of prayer and silence, so we to follow suit before we go forth to evangelize or preach.

Abiding in Christ!  I am doing well as far as I can see.   I could get out my old hymnal and sing during my worship times at home.  Praying for the Renewal of the Holy Spirit in my life would be a plus as well.  When I was in high school, Autumn 1971, I was seeking the "double portion of the Holy Spirit".  Planning to make more evangelistic trips!

Frivolous perusing of the internet  has been responsible for my altar to Crack.   Already my kitchen radio has been disconnected, more peace and quiet indeed!  

Getting back to my seminary schedule !  The seminary had a strict regula of chapel services each day.   No deviations allowed.  I can institute a modified schedule at my house easily.  Already I have a disciplined spiritual lifestyle; there is room for improvements.

What is the significance of Elijah "rebuilding" the altar of Yahweh?
The significance of Elijah rebuilding the altar of Yahweh is to restore and reconcile the Israelites to their God and to show them the difference between real God and false gods. 

What rebuilding needs to be done in your own worship practices? 

The rebuilding needs in my own worship is the power to worship and pray in the spirit. 

Your church's? The rebuilding needs in my church is unity, love and prayers 

What has caused your "altar" or practice of worshipping and living before the Lord to be broken down? How will you repair it

The causes in the secularism and world situation of struggling. The only thing that can repair this is the Lord Himself and through serious prayers and undiluted words of God in revival. 

The significicance of Elijah rebuilding the altar of Yahweh was first giving honor to God.  The altar was consecrated unto God.  It was holy.  Secondly, He wanted to remind the people who had somewhat forgotten God, who He is and of His miraculous signs and wonders in the lifetimes of their forefathers, and in their own lifesWitnessing the men selected to carry the twelve stones representing the twelve tribes, and attentively listening to Elijah as he ministered to them while placing  the twelve stones securely and strategically in place, I can imagine touched their hearts. 

I need to rebuild in my own worship practices, a stronger lifestyle of prayer and worship.  I understand that I will have trials and tributlations and I also realize that through persistence and consistent prayer, and the grace of God, I can overcome.  I don't aways recognize the power of prayer.  I don't feel this way as often as I used to, yet these insecurities are still there. 

In my church, I need to rebuild the desires I have of being seen and wanting to be acknowledg for the things I do.  I have to realized, and again be consistent, that what I do, I do from my heart in glorifying God, not myself or man.   Now, I'm happy to say, I no longer am concern what people think or say about me. I'm working at living my life for Christ.  I have learned to pray for those who slanders my name and reputation.  I even ask Yahweh to forgive them and to teach me to forgive them and not hold any animosity.  I am grateful to say that it works. AMEN

What is the significance of Elijah “rebuilding” the altar of Yahweh?

The altar was in ruins where the believers had sacrifice in praise and faith and joy .  The significance of rebuilding the altar was to once again give praise and honor to God.  

What rebuilding needs to be done in your own worship practices? Your church’s?

There are times that I just don't feel like doing the work of the Lord.  I must grow stronger when feel that way.  I need to do better is praying and studying his word.  I do set aside time for that but I could spend more time.  The church members need to get back to church. We have many that have not come back to the house of worship since COVID-19.  They have gotten use to and prefer to do virtual.  So much is missed by not being in fellowship with your brothers and sisters.

What has caused your “altar” or practice of worshiping and living before the Lord to be broken down? How will you repair it?

The condition of the world today.  So much division and hatred. Sometimes I get weak in thinking why the Lord is allowing this.  I must continue to pray for peace, love, joy and happiness.  For those that have turned their backs of our Lord and serving man, position and power, pray that they come to their senses and know that thru Jesus all things are possible.

Rebuilding the altar shows Israel the true worship of God but more importantly a new start of life in worshipping the true God, a new beginning and a new lease of life in worshipping God. In my worshipping life practices, there is need to dedicate more time to worshipping God and living the word of God. My church as well needs to practice and live the word of God. Laziness though simple is deadly and can destroy and prevents worshipping God dedicatedly. I will try as much as possible with the help of the Holy Spirit to give more time and energy to worshipping God.

Q7. (1 Kings 18:30-32a) What is the significance of Elijah "rebuilding" the altar of Yahweh? What rebuilding needs to be done in your own worship practices? Your church's? What has caused your "altar" or practice of worshipping and living before the Lord to be broken down? How will you repair it?

Elijah rebuilt the altar to remind the Israelites the genuine and right processes of sacrifice and worship of the living God of Israel whom they have forsaken.

We need rebuild our relationships with the true living God and ensure we worship only him.

• 4 months later...

It's like a revival, rebuilding what has been broken down and treated as obsolete, rekindling the fire of reviving the people's hearts towards Yahweh. Wow, a lot needs to be not only rebuilt, but built from the ground floor. I read and hear about other people's relationships with the Lord. I know comparison isn't good, but I can't help but compare their experiences to my own. I just have trouble getting in the zone and figuring this out. But my desire is to do so. I get too busy or at least that is how it feels. I always have pressing matters that need to be tended to that pulls me away. The only way to repair it is to be intentional and disciplined. 

• 4 weeks later...

I think the significance of Elijah “rebuilding” the altar of Yahweh was to remind them from which they come. They had come from a family that believed in God. In my worship practices I need to be more open with God. In our church we need to be more open to the people who visit us. I think that the cause of my “altar” has been living this life and trying to get the most out of it.