JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q15. Impossible

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure this is a direct answer to your question, but what strikes me about these passages in Kings and Judges is their public nature. This is not God whispering into the mind of Elijah, but God making himself clear to nations. God's revelation didn't begin like this, however. In the beginning of the Elijah/Ahab story, God whispers solely to Elijah and Elijah "did what the Lord told him." Then, God's communication broadened when he healed the women's son from the dead and the widow said, "... now I know you're a man of God." Note she didn't seem to have further illumination about God's nature or power, but rather trusted Elijah's claim to be a prophet.

Later, when Elijah presented himself to Ahab in Kings 18, Ahab didn't seem to gain a greater understanding of God. But when the scope of God's revelation widened to include all the Israelites who were on the hill watching the miraculous fire consume the sacrifice, "... they fell prostrate and cried, “The Lord—he is God! The Lord—he is God!”  The people suddenly understood more about God.

Lastly, in the passages today about the 20th chapter of Kings, God is speaking through a prophet to Ahab but the scope of His communication is the entire army. The faith of not just Ahab is being tested, but that of the nation. When they see the miraculous victory, they know something about God's character, or at least his unique claim to being the only God. Presumably, the army understood God's greatness after their victory.

--

I pray God speaks to nation's today just as He did in the time of Ahab. I pray He brings Western nations to an understanding of His might and power so that their citizens cling to Him in faith. Bringing nations to repentance and faith is "the impossible situation" of these chapters in Kings. By whittling the army down to three hundred men, no one could claim that the impossible situation was overcome by human ingenuity. People had to admit that God really did enter into human history in strength and power, that He is who He say He is ... the great "I am."

Q15. (1 Kings 20:23-30)

Why do you think God seems to enjoy helping the Israelites in impossible situations?  I don't think it just ends with the Israelites. We do read about their situations in the Word of God.  I believe it is not only for the benefit of the ones being helped in these impossible situations, to strengthen their faith and trust in God but also for those who see or hear about what happened.They too are blessed and draw closer to God.

Why do you think God whittled Gideon's army down to 300 men? (Judges 7:1-8).  In no way would it be possible for the battle to be won with only 300 men.  It was definitely God's doing .  Praise could not be given to man.

Yes, even today in our lives there are times the situations seem absolutely impossible and God intervenes and works a plan. Praise to His Name. For me He indeed has proved to be the God of the Impossible in many occasions.

Q15. (1 Kings 20:23-30) 
Why do you think God seems to enjoy helping the Israelites in impossible situations? Why do you think God whittled Gideon's army down to 300 men? (Judges 7:1-8). What impossible situations are you facing in your life that need God's intervention? 
Here again the Lord clearly states that He is helping the Israelites so that they might know that He is God, that He is the Lord. In His tender mercy and grace, He gives them one more chance to believe, obey, and serve Him only. And even though Ahab sees His grace and all the display of power, it has no effect on Ahab’s attitude toward God. God reduced the numbers down to only 300 men, to show that His strength does not depend on their numbers, and that the battle is His, and that the victory is His as well. All the glory goes to Him. Living in one of the most corrupt counties in the world, with one of the highest murder and rape rates (if not the highest), I still trust Him knowing that He is sovereign, and is a God of mercy and grace. Here as in Elijah’s days, He is giving us another chance if only we will humble ourselves, pray, acknowledge Him, and turn from our wicked ways! “If My people, who are called by My name, will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land” (2 Chr 7:14). 

Q15. (1 Kings 20:23-30) Why do you think God seems to enjoy helping the Israelites in impossible situations?

To still prove that He is Yahweh, the Omnipotent God.

Why do you think God whittled Gideon's army down to 300 men? (Judges 7:1-8).

So that the army would not think that it was their huge number that enabled the victory.

What impossible situations are you facing in your life that need God's intervention?

For our church to repossess the two church lands that were carelessly abandoned but the church new leadership is trying to repossess despite the huge hurdles on the way. Pray along with me please.  

Edited by haar
to correct a typo

God seems to enjoy proving to the Israelites that he is God, showing that the false gods and beliefs are indeed fake and an abomination to him.

God whittled down Gideon's to 300 to show that God would defeat the enemy with only a small group of warriors and there for they can not boast that it was their own effort that defeated the enemy. This shows that the Lord is God and faithful in impossible situations.

An impossible situation in my life is the healing of my wife back to normal life instead of suffering from continuous set backs.      

(1 Kings 20:23-30) Why do you think God seems to enjoy helping the Israelites in impossible situations? Why do you think God whittled Gideon's army down to 300 men? (Judges 7:1-8). What impossible situations are you facing in your life that need God's intervention?

God enjoys helping the Israelites in impossible situations to increase their faith in Him and prove to them and the opponent that He is the creator of the universe both hills and valleys belong to Him. 

God wants to prove Gideon and his people that He is not depend on numbers in fighting any battles. 

I believed in God of possibilities, the impossible situations nowadays is how people are not willing or real serve God faithfully by focusing on the eternity than looking for worldly things and miracles no more focus on the words of God especially in the third world. 

Q15.God loves to be merciful and at the same time to demonstrate very clearly that He is Yahweh. God reduced Gideon’s army to 300 to show that success depends on Him and not on having large numbers of fighting men. My situation that desperately needs God’s intervention is that my husband, children and grandchildren will realise that they do need to have Jesus in their lives. Especially my husband who is now 81, and I fear his time on earth can’t be more than a couple of years max. He never thinks or has any concern about his death, or what happens afterwards!

Why do you think God seems to enjoy helping the Israelite's in impossible situations?

God enjoys helping the Israelite's in impossible situations because is seeking to firm up the faith of his people. He wants them recognize that he is Lord.

Why do you think God whittled Gideon’s army down to 300 men? (Judges 7:1-8).

God reduced Gideon's army down so that there would be do doubt that the victory was God's and their own strength.

What impossible situations are you facing in your life that need God’s intervention?

God has been good to me.  He has made a way out of any impossible situations I have been in.  Praise God, I am not in any right now!

Man's extremity   is God's opportunity to do miracles.  Yahweh wanted all idolatry to be eradicated totally.   God's mercy was being manifested during these battles.  Gently and slowly Yahweh was getting the attention of the wayward.

God wanted the people to firmly acknowledge that DEUTERONOMY 6:4 is paramount not optional.  Prophet Ezekiel preached the same message often as well.  His visions, prophecies and sermons are very clear about the glorofication of the NAME OF GOD.  Prophet Ezekiel always described the wonders of the Lord Hashem Adonai.  

The evangelical mission I have been entrusted with.   NYC has become quite dangerous these days;  I praise God for my evangelical associate who I yet to meet.   Outdoor evangelistic ministry can be quite challenging in my city; prudent and carefull planning is necessary as well as deep prayer.

Q15 Why do you think God seems to enjoy  helping the Israelites in impossible  situations

So that they come to realization  that He is the only true God and apart from Him the cannot do anything 

Q15.1 Why do you think God whittled Gideon 's men into 300?

So that the cannot boast that it was their power they won the battle , but realize it at it can only be God who fights  their battle 

Q15 3What situations in your life that need God's intervention?

Where you have to completely  trust God's intervention  iwith children and rely on Him to give direction 

• 1 month later...

Israel were God’s chosen people and He was available to be them all the time including in impossible situations. God reduced   Gideon’s army down to 300 men for Israel not to think that he defeated the enemy because of a large army but rather it was god who defeated Israel’s enemy. King Ben Hadad relied on his big army which was nothing to the almighty God. There are a number of impossible situations in my daily life and as a person I do not have solutions to them but God the almighty is the answer to all my impossible situations

• 3 months later...

God loves Israel, He chose Israel, He is a doting Father who loves demonstrating His power, not just for Israel's benefit but also for their enemies so that they might believe and convert. God dwindled Gideon's Army to 300 so that no man could steal His glory. They would not be able to say it was by their power or might that they were delivered but a miracle from God. Trying to open a shelter for sex trafficked women.

• 4 weeks later...