JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

God told Elijah to anoint Elisha to be his successor. If Elisha wasn’t around, Elijah couldn’t have anointed him. It must be the case, then, that Elijah didn’t expect Elisha to abandon him. They must have been doing some sort of rhetorical dance: three times Elijah asks him to go and Elisha refuses.

But why? I’m not sure. Elisha had been a loyal servant/understudy for many years (?), so the two of them had developed a pattern of loyalty. They were never far apart, as far as I know.

Furthermore, not only did Elijah know that Elisha would succeed him, but likewise Elisha knew he was to be anointed Elijah’s successor. So both of them knew what would happen. So did the other prophets at the prophetic school.

The company of the prophets at Bethel came out to Elisha and asked, “Do you know that the Lord is going to take your master from you today?” “Yes, I know,” Elisha replied, “so hold your peace.”

--

I’ve had some truly horrifying experiences in life that made me wonder if God had abandoned me, but honestly, I never really felt I should stop following Him.

Q27. Elisha knew that Elijah was going to be taken at this time, he was Elijah’s successor, he was not going to leave Elijah alone. He was his companion on this unknown road. Maybe Elisha felt he wanted to absorb and learn as much as possible from Elijah in these last hours. Maybe he felt a responsibility as Elijah’s friend and successor to be with him right up until the end. Elijah appears to discourage Elisha from staying with him , maybe he was testing Elisha to see how faithful he would be, or maybe he felt a need to be on his own to commune with His God, who was going to take him from this world imminently. 
I have had many disappointments since I started following Jesus but I haven’t thought about not following Him. As Peter says in John 6 v68 “Lord to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.”

Q27. (2 Kings 2:2-6) 
Why do you think Elijah discourages Elisha from following him at the end? What is Elisha's response? What kinds of discouragements have you faced that made you wonder if you should keep on following the Lord? 
I think Elijah was testing Elisha’s commitment. The younger Elisha had been Elijah’s trainee for about 8 years. During this time Elijah was very active and he must have learnt a lot from his master. We remember when called, Elisha went immediately after Elijah and was willing to be taught and to learn. This was all a period of preparation and training. They all knew that he was going to be taken to be with the Lord that day, and a decision had to be made. Being the last day Elijah needed to know for certain that Elisha was prepared for God’s work, and that he will persevere and commit himself wholly to a life of serving and bringing glory to the Lord. Elisha showed his zeal by each time refusing to leave Elijah. He was determined to follow in Elijah footsteps at all costs stating three times “I will not leave you”. Like all of us I have faced trials and tribulations, but I cannot recall ever having being discouraged. This was and is only by the grace of our Lord. 

The unseen world, his heavenly transition and the things of heaven were occupying his mind and heart.  Elijah was given spiritual flashes about his transition ro heaven; yet he was always mindfull o Elisha.  It was too solemn ocassion for greetings, casual conversation, or even exhortations.

Elisha stayed with his spiritual father; he wanted to be with Elijah until the end. He didn't want to engage in conversation with others concerning the departure of Prophet Elijah.

Back in October-November 1971, I was praying for the double portion of the Holy Spirit.   I am still living for the LORD JESUS CHRIST.   Though there have been many trials along the way,  I still love the Lord.  I may not have all the answers why sorrowful things have happened; I still hide in the precious wounds of Christ.

I believe Elijah had commanded Elisha, his disciple, not to follow him as a test to his faithfulness to himself and the Lord.

Although Elisha refuses to obey Elijah's commands, he does not try to dissuade Elisha any further from following him.

I have had many discouragements in life to stop following the Lord, but I have never stopped believing in the Lords faithfulness in my life as a guide and enlightenment to care. The real discourager of all is when it becomes impossible to attend church and have fellowship with fellow believers.       

Q27. (2 Kings 2:2-6)

Why do you think Elijah discourages Elisha from following him at the end?

What is Elisha's response?

What kinds of discouragements have you faced that made you wonder if you should keep on following the Lord?

I have pondered this many times. the only thing that makes sense to me is that parting is never easy. Elijah and Elisha had become close in their walk with the Lord and the parting was now imminent.  It was now important for all to observe that Elisha was real and serious about following in his footsteps as "Prophet of God" to the nation, following in Elijah's footsteps.  The other prophets would look up to him, Elisha, now as they had looked up to Elijah previously.

Similar to when God pointed out that Joshua was the chosen leader after Moses.

The Lord is my all in all, and it is my desire to follow Him faithfully to the very end.

Why do you think Elijah discourages Elisha from following him at the end?

There were several speculations.  1)Maybe Elijah wants to be alone in these final days. 2) It may be a test of how determined Elisha will be to remain Elijah's faithful disciple.

What is Elisha’s response?

Elisha's response was "as surelyas the Lord lives and as you live he would not leave him".  Elisha realized that the Lord had called him to remain with Elijah.

What kinds of discouragements have you faced that made you wonder if you should keep on following the Lord?

I have had discouragements but none to the limit that would make me to stop following then Lord.  In always knew that in my struggles he would make a way somehow and if he didn't it was for my best interest.

. (2 Kings 2:2-6) Why do you think Elijah discourages Elisha from following him at the end? What is Elisha's response? What kinds of discouragements have you faced that made you wonder if you should keep on following the Lord?

I think Elijah knew that he was going on a one-way journey (to heaven) I would not need Elisha so he discouraged him from following him.

Q27. (2 Kings 2:2-6) Why do you think Elijah discourages Elisha from following him at the end? What is Elisha's response? What kinds of discouragements have you faced that made you wonder if you should keep on following the Lord?

Elijah discourages Elisha from following him, may be want to be alone or testing how determines Elisha is. 

Elisha responded that as long as the Lord lives he will not leave him alone. 

The only discouragement sometimes is about praying constantly for something and get no answer but I will never leave Jesus Christ alone. 

• 2 weeks later...

Elijah want to be double sure if Elisha is serious with his decision to follow and serve Yahweh. Elisha doesn't feel compelled to obey Elijah and replies with an oath in the name of Yahweh that as surely as the Lord lives and as Elijah lives, he will not leave him. There are a number of discouragements faced in following the Lord. These include busy work schedule, peer pressure, financial challenges, laziness and many more. Despite the daily challenges, we have to move on in serving the Lord Jesus Christ.

• 4 months later...