JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...

What keeps me from being used effectively, asks Pastor Ralph. 

God can use anyone in extraordinary ways. He can even speak through a donkey if He so chooses. But will He choose to use me ... you? That's up to Him.

What keeps me from being used effectively may be God Himself. The Elijah story shows how God chose an individual who went on to experience both moments of great faith as well as those of tragic despondency and despair. I am strangely comforted by His choice of Elijah because I know I don't merit His attention and will never have enough faith or belief to warrant being used. God uses individuals who are not up to His calling. My calling, to the degree I receive one, will be based on His ability, not mine.

I don't think it's the degree of my belief that makes me usable. It's not like I can muster up more faith/belief through prayer. Belief, itself, is a gift. Faith is His gift. 

Thus, I cannot choose to be used. That choice is His. He is absolutely sovereign. Hope is continuing to anticipate God's good response even when nothing happens.

Hope begs to be used, then waits.

Q30. (James 5:16-18) 
Elijah is James' example of an ordinary man who did extraordinary things through believing prayer. Do you believe God can use you in extraordinary ways? Why? or Why not? What keeps us from being used effectively? 
Yes, I believe that the prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective, and can be used by God in extraordinary ways. We don’t have to be some super human for God to allow great things to happen through our prayers. As James mentions, Elijah was a mere man, subject to the same weaknesses as we are. Yet, we know what he achieved through earnest prayer! As long as I’m in a right relationship with my Heavenly Father, I know He can use me in powerful ways. I have to trust Him, and lean not on my own understanding (Prov 3:5). Once we put our trust in our Saviour Lord Jesus Christ, we can approach God with confidence in prayer. And if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us, and if we know He hears us, we know He will grant us our prayers (1 John 5:14-15). His will is revealed to us in His Word. We will never know while here on earth how effective our prayers are. But I’m sure that by studying the Scriptures we will know His will, and our prayers will be very effective. 

Q30. Yes I believe that God can use me in extraordinary ways, because I am told in James that Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly for it not to rain and God answered his prayer, and then years later he prayed that it would rain and again God answered prayer yet again. So if Elijah can be used by God so can I. I fear though that I am not earnest enough in prayer, to enable God to use me in an extraordinary way, though I do trust Him completely.  I think lack of prayer, lack of trust and apathy keep us from being used effectively.

Yes God can use me in extraordinary ways, Elijah was an ordinary man who believed God would listen to his earnest prayers. Elijah was earnest about bring God's children back to their truth Lord God. It appears God answered Elijah's prayers almost instantly, and most of all Elijah heard God speaking to him. This could be a big problem now days because we do not stop to listen for the voice of the Lord. The noise and hustle bustle of life today is the major cause of not hearing the voice of God. 

With all my heart I believe that God can use in extraordinary ways.   Back on November 13, 1971, I was seeking the "double portion of the Holy Spirit".   I still believe that God will continue to give me graces to evangelize during these very challenging times.   I thank God in advance for my Elisha to assist me in the Gospel ministry.  What is also crucial to me is that my character is to continued to be further  formed in holiness.

It is not the lack of willingness to launch out into the deep, but to make prudent decisions on how to fulfill the evangelical calling in my life.  I have made this a matter of carefull prayer and reflection.   Here in NYC, outdoor evangelistic ministry has been very important to me for years.   With the sharp increase of crime and assaults on innocent people; I have had to make some decisions.   For now, venturing out of state for evangelical endeavors.

Q30. (James 5:16-18)

Elijah is James' example of an ordinary man who did extraordinary things through believing prayer. Do you believe God can use you in extraordinary ways? Why? or Why not? What keeps us from being used effectively?

With God all things are possible.  In many instances, God calls the unqualified, and qualifies the called.  The prayer of the righteous, availeth much.  We need to be willing and available to be used in God's way , not in our way.  Also be in right standing with God.

Q30. (James 5:16-18) Elijah is James' example of an ordinary man who did extraordinary things through believing prayer. Do you believe God can use you in extraordinary ways? Why? or Why not? What keeps us from being used effectively?

I surely believe that God can use me in extraordinary ways because God is faithful and has promised us to ask, knock the door, seek and we shall receive, the shut door would be opened and I will find what I am seeking for, Mat.7:7. He also has promised that we should call unto Him and He would answer, Jeremiah 33:3

Q30. (James 5:16-18) Elijah is James' example of an ordinary man who did extraordinary things through believing prayer. Do you believe God can use you in extraordinary ways? Why? or Why not? What keeps us from being used effectively?

Yes of course, because of faith in Jesus Christ and my commitment, determination to serve and constant prayers to be use in the things of God kingdom. 

The thing number one is sin non surrender to the things of God that is disobedience. 

Elijah is James’ example of an ordinary man who did extraordinary things through believing prayer. Do you believe God can use you in extraordinary ways? Why? or Why not? What keeps us from being used effectively?

Yes, God can use any of use anyway he chooses.  God has shown time and time again as long as you have the faith, trust and believe in me, I can use you to do the impossible.  He often takes the lowest and make great!  Oh thee of little faith is what keeps God from using us effectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, God can use me in extraordinary things through believing and prayer. In the past as seen in the old testament God used ordinary people to do extraordinary things. He used Samson to defeat the philistines, He used David the shepherd to kill Goliath the giant, He used Japheth the son of a harlot to lead Israel and defeat the Philistines, just to mention a few. Lack of prayerful life, dependence on God and righteousness keeps us from being used effectively. 

• 4 months later...

I do. I just need to be submitted to His will. His eyes are continually searching the earth for hearts that are turned towards Him. I want to be such a person. I have so many areas of my life that I sense are not fully submitted to His Lordship. I have areas of pride that continually rear their ugly heads. I struggle. My heart is willing, more than willing. But the flesh fails and is weak. Who can deliver me from this body of death?

• 3 weeks later...