JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The promise is that we will be given wisdom simply by asking for it, BUT we should not ask if we aren't prepared to hear God's answer. Trials give us the opportunity to grow in endurance which is the key to being strong in character and being ready to face anything.

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

Wisdom is the promise but we have to be sure that we really want it. I think that's one of the reasons James says not to doubt. If we do the right thing during these trials we will be leaning on Him and listening to Him.

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

God promises us that we can ask for wisdom from him and he will give it to us unfailingly and without criticism ! What an awesome promise. No mater what the situation, we can ask for God's wisdom on it. The condition is that we don't ask wavering but ask in faith. We need to believe that he will give us his wisdom AND trust that it is His wisdom. I'm working on this one myself. Sometimes I doubt that the answers I receive are God's because they don't make sense to me...I'm not sure that I'm hearing from God. I'm determined to get better at this though!!! :D

The promise is that He will give wisdom to those who ask for it. The condition is not to doubt or hesitate. (will He really do it? I'm not worthy, why would He give ME wisdom?) Trials enable us to rely on Him. When we rely on Him and He comes through, we have now gained experience and knowledge that He is faithful. With each trial we rely more and more on Him and He continuously remains faithful so we come to know we can trust in Him to always help us. This knowledge eliminates doubt because it is backed by experience.

God wisdom. God has always given us this, but we must be able to take what he gives us and use it wisely. That is the key. It is just like our parents when we are growing up, while we are growing up they are teaching us right from wrong and as life goes on, our parents slowly allow us to handle our own lives. They are passing along their wisdom along the way, but how we choose to use that wisdom is another story. The same is true of God, he is alway teaching us about himself and his wisdom. But not everyone has the trust in God to use that wisdom in the proper manner. Also we must never judge our fellow man, God never judges us, so we should never judge others. This is very difficult for most of us to do, not judge our fellow man. It is so easy to do that. But being born with a severe hearing defect myself, I found out very quickly how people are so willing to label us and I swore I would never to that to anyone else.

The promise is wisdom-given generously by God without finding fault. How awesome! The condition is that we believe and not doubt. Trials help us recieve wisdom by pointing us to God and asking Him for the answer. He will give us the solution but we must believe He will give it to us and not doubt. And He will generously bless us with the wisdom we need. And with each trial and each answer from the Lord, our faith will increase and thus the wisdom from Him will also increase.

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

That if we ask God for wisdom, He will be sure to give us wisdom. Wisdom attained is up to us as individuals.

What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6?

That we must ask in faith. Never doubting, if we want to attain wisdom.

How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

Trials give us a different view of ourselves. They bring out the best and/or the worst in us. We must get wise or we get defeated by the trial.

The promise is verse 5 is that everyone who asks in faith will receive generously the wisdom of God. God knows that our standards do no match His standards. Even by getting His wisdom we cannot attain those levels. But the opportunity is given to everyone that they may acquire the wisdom of God by asking for it in faith and not doubting it. Promises are meant to be claimed for our use. God has made that provision. We should seek wisdom to enumerate those promises and use them as and when necessary. He is a faithful God whose promises are always true.

Trials push us to a corner, helpless and frustrated. When we throw up our hands and accept the fact the we cannot fight the battle alone, God extends His helping hand and shows a way out. In such circumstances, the wisdom of God is at play in our lives. How thankful I am for this wonderful provision that God made for me!!

James encourages us to pray for wisdom by assuring us not only that God will answer our prayer for wisdom, but that He will do so without shaming or humiliating us. This is because He is glorified when we confess our dependency and His sufficiency. God delights in the fact that we express our dependence on Him.

James sets down only one condition and that is that we pray in faith, without wavering. It is never wrong to pray for wisdom, and there is never a time when God will not grant us that wisdom

The promise that we can claim in verse 5 is that God will grant us wisdom and grant it abundantly if we ask Him in faith. BUT, and here is the condition, if you are going to ask God for wisdom, be prepared to accept it. We might ask for wisdom and then not like what that wisdom leads us to, but we are to accept this wisdom knowing that God has an ultimate purpose and desire for our lives and it is through His wisdom that He guides us along. How do trials help us receive this wisdom? Well, in my experience, it is only after I have wrestled with "it" (that being whatever problem or trial I am struggling with) and have it suffciently messed up beyond a human's capacity to unmess it that I will turn to God. Sad, isn't it? But when there is no other way but that way which has been revealed by God, we have to accept it. I do believe though that with each trial that comes along, I am quicker to seek God's wisdom rather than relying on my own feeble understanding and feel that this draws me closer to Him and gives me greater comfort knowing that I can rely on Him to bring me through.

Q4. (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

God-centered Wisdom will be given and not withheld from those who ask God for it.

We must ask in faith, a trust that is heartfelt confidence in God.

Trials bring us to our knees and strips off the superficial we often surround ourselves with. Trials often have us asking for answers we do not have, so we seek God

If we lack wisdom, ask Him for it, and He will provide it. He will not deride us or find fault in us for our lack. He knows we are dust, not like Him, but He loves us and wants the best for us! :wub:

We must believe that He will do this! If we ask but do not really believe that He cares to answer us, we cannot receive! Our hearts are closed to Him.

Trials cause us to realize our need of Him and His wisdom! We can't see the "rocks beside the channel", and because we don't know where they are, we, in our conceit, can run into disaster and founder upon them. Because of this (possibly after many bad results in our past), we are forced to come to Him in humility, asking for His guidance--and then, obeying--for if we do not obey His guidance, we will fail, and our behavior shows our lack of belief! Surely, if we believe, we will obey. Won't we??? Hmmm. How many disasters does it take before we learn? :huh:

The answer is wisdom. Getting Wisdom will require that we go through a process of self examination.We will be required to confront our values and attitudes. We need to look at our relationship with other people, purity, peaceableness , gentleness, submissiveness, the level of mercy we exercise, the fruits we manifest, how impartial we are and our sincerety (look at James 3:17)

If we ASK! God will give us wisdom. We must ask in faith beveling, God will give us all we need.

What is the promise to claim in verse 5? What is the

condition attached to this promise in verse 6? How do trials help

us receive this wisdom?

-like i said yesterday if you don't understand then ask GOD and he'll let you know in his own way.

-yet when you do find out don't doubt the answer. saying that can't be why.

-by learning by our mistakes

What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

There are a couple of things to claim I believe in the first question...the first being of course that if we ask God for wisdom, that we will receive it. This wisdom is not wisdom as the world knows it (1st Cor. 1:19-21), but it is the wisdom that saves and has been preached since the beginning when God has made Himself known to man. The other key thing to claim is this, God will give generously TO ALL WITHOUT FINDING FAULT. Pretty powerful statement I'd say. He doesn't give only to the most righteous or based upon what we've done but He promises to give to any who would seek Him...what a promise. That to even me, He would reach down and shed that type of grace.

Sounds to me like we have to ask in that child-like faith we had when we were kids. God desires for us to believe and trust in Him when asking for something with the knowledge that He will provide. Imagine as a parent having your kids ask you for something the whole time thinking that you wouldn't do it for whatever reason. How mixed up and confused that kid must be and how sad for them and the parent. God wants our trust. For most of us, He's provided more than enough real examples in our lives where we can look back and see His hand if we'd just do that, but so many of us are focused on today and it's problems that we don't bother to look back and see how far He's already brought us nor the trials He has carried us through.

In times of trial, we are the most apt to have no choice but to turn to the one who is most likely and most able to help us. Many including me will try most anything before we finally get to this point ... I guess because it just seems to easy...you know...that "you don't get anything for nothing mentality so ingrained in us". These are also the times where we most act in that child-like faith because at these times are when we are so broken and all of our adult logic and resources have failed us so much so that we have to revert back to when we had to rely on others like when we were children and that other specifically in this case being the best Dad of all in our Father in Heaven.

God bless,

Travis <><

4a.) (1:5-8) What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

4a.) Good answers by all. One point stands out for me in this verse: "If any of you lacks wisdom.." We need to come before God with humility to recognize that we do not have the wisdom of God. We may have the wisdom of man, but that is folly.

4b.) (1:5-8) What is the condition attached to this promise in verse 6?

4b.) Hebrews 11:1 comes to my mind with this verse: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Says it all for me.

4c.) (1:5-8) How do trials help us receive this wisdom?

4c.) Malachi 3:2,3 has been a verse which reminds me that "..For he will be like a refiner's fire or a launderers soap..." Trials build us. Let me not forget :( .

Before I go on to answer this question. I need to clarify my studying because of the responces I am receiving.

The odd thing about the responces is that not one person who responded gave me any idea of what I said that they are referring to.

Please reread my post and ask specific questions when you do.

I am responding to these questions from the "KJV" of the Bible. I went directly to that after skipping most of the Exposition, for although Pastor Ralph, it is clear that you put some time into it. I don't know which version/s of the Bible you used in writing it. I don't recognize the Scripture from the start. For me, I get wonderful Understanding from the way God said it. I appreciate the questions though, that are designed to cause one to go deeper into the Word. So my reference to the question's don't have to do with the Exposition. It has to do With Gods Word in accordance to the Questions. I don't read every Scripture translation.

The Word I have, I understand as God gives me the understanding, as I DAILY, and OFTEN DAILY, set my own desires for my flesh aside, TO STUDY GODS WORD. Not trying to lift myself up, just trying to help you understand What It Is That I Do for a LIVING. I am not of this world. Before you scolled me for saying it. Go deeper into your own Word and talk to God about it, although you just did, for Christ is in Me, and I spoke nothing but the Truth. uhoh

What is the promise to claim in verse 5?

Wisdom
Faith
By the building up of Christ's Character in us.

1. Wisdom is the promise God will give if we ask.

With wisdom comes great responsibilities. I've learned not to

to ask for wisdom until I have my path cleared to carry the

responsibility.

2. Ask for wisdom in faith. Do not ask with your mind focused on

something else.

3. We learn through trials. Trials make us more dependent on the

Lord. We learn to search His Word for therein lies wisdom.

I use to work on automobiles for a living. I didn't always have a

manual to read to help me solve a mechanical problem. I had a

boss that was very learned in automotive mechanics. He had

been in the business for years. He was my book. I would follow

his instructions just as he gave them. I gained a lot of knowledge

and wisdom from him. Sometime the boss would say, you figure

that one out. Anyway, the Bible is best Book to direct us to

wisdom.