JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives? What is the nature of the self-deception?

As human beings, I think we love to master disciplines whether they be physical or mental. We are taught to acquire knowledge, to attain certifications, to know the right people and so on. It is natural for us to separate those who have the knowledge as being of a specialized group as opposed to those that do not have the knowledge. This is the life of the Pharisees when Jesus told them they were like sepulchres, all white without but inside, rotting. They had deceived themselves that they were righteous since they all had the knowledge of the laws and practiced the laws without heart, as a form of discipline. They felt themselves more righteous than others. This was a huge deception. When Jesus tore down their self-righteousness, they became his enemies. This is easy for us all to slip into. :unsure:

2a.) (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives?

2a.) Paul writes: "A man is not a Jew if he is one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man's praise is not from men, but from God.." (Romans 2:28, 29) Paul touches on how we like to make our appearances righteous on the outside but on the inside we are still our frail, corrupt selves. We easily deceive ourselves of our own self-righteousness. Paul talks about his own trials in this area in Chapter 7 of Romans.

2b.) (1:22) What is the nature of the self-deception?

2b.) It lulls us into a false security. We weaken our defenses and that is when sin will strike. Keep the full armor of God on.

Q2. (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives? What is the nature of the self-deception?

Ritual can become stultifying if it is performed simply because it is "what we do"! Sitting in church doesn't make a person a Christian anymore than sitting in a garage makes one an automobile! But, ritual/ceremony is easy and it lulls us into thinking that is all we need--so, we allow ourselves to be lulled to sleep by it! We don't want to "do"--it takes effort--we have to get out of our comfort zones and actually accomlish something! Righteousness comes from within--and manifests itself by outward deeds--

i like what Sgt Z Squad posted but i would like to add this simple statement of fact

we humans hate to acept the fact we are wrong and it seems everyone looks to pass the blame to someone else when they find fault in themselfs

But i guess its been that way since Adam blame God for giveing him Eve

but we only can be thankfull for God knows us and will show us the truth

That's a great question. I know when I first came to the Lord 20 years ago, I thought reading the Word was enough. I now know that daily reading, praying, communicating with God and fellowshipping brings about the desire to DO His will. Perhaps it is our education that aids in our habit of reading without applying it to our daily life that causes this. I really don't know.

We tend to fall in with people operating on our own level of spirituality. What we need to do is find mentors who are older and wiser in the faith than we are, and presence ourselves around them by serving them, and listen, learn, watch. In so doing know that we too are watched. We need older and wiser advisers with whom to share and discuss our lives. We need to be delighted with their correction and wisdom and take it on board. As one goes to a music teacher looking for direction and correction in order to improve our performance, so we need to do in spiritual lives - look for correction, and direction in practical terms so that we can advance in lifestyle. A contrite man God will not despise.

Too often we are content to chatter with peers who are not our seniors in spiritual life, and not challenge or discipline ourselves to advance. The answer to this question, I think, Is laziness to a large degree. How many people constantly chatter about the same issues, never listen to wise counsel to do it, and come back and do the same again next week. We need to ask God to open our eyes to the blind spots!

What is the nature of self-deception? What a question! It is so difficult to see where we are deceiving ourselves. That is why we need to be open with some more senior and wiser Christians and be taught and corrected. :unsure: The Gospel is all about personal relationships with God and with each other. He has promised us plenty of mothers, fathers, children and brethren in the faith. Personal intimacy with God cannot be neglected. When our relationship with Him is so intimate and precious we cannot bear to be out of sync with Him, and we become sensitive to any issue that separates us from Him. If I go to a music teacher and come back next week without having practised what I learned, and keep that up for a couple more weeks, the teacher will soon give up on me and the relationship will not develop to its potential. It is the same with the Word. It's no good saying that I went to music lectures and concerts. That won't enable me to play and instrument. It is easier to get by with that kind of thinking in spiritual life, but it won't work. If I want to be a musician I must practice. If I want to mature as a Christian I must determine/discipline myself to practice. I must also pay the music teacher's fee. For Jesus His fee is all our easystreet thinking, problems and faults. He is not an entertainment but an example. To be a listener to music is not to be a musician. To be a listener to sermons is not to be a practitioner of the faith. It takes more than that.

Self deception is lack of integrity (honesty) and laziness in essence, I think

Of course it is self-deceiving. It's like going to church every sunday

and then thinking that u r a christian or that u r "holy".

Indeed it is a deception and obviously the devil is a master of it.

It is like in IT where u learn best hands-on for until u do it, u r unable to see your "faults". If u simply hear and not do, u think u know already! U r deceiving yourself!

In the christian life, practice makes PERMANENT.

I think that the stirring that occurs in us when we listen to a message can confuse someone to imagine they are righteous. Attending church is considered an act of holiness. This is a form of self deception. When we try to get away with the barest form of obedience we are deluding ourselves.

In my own experience I was brought up in an environment in which church attendence was more or less a requirement in which my teachers kept a record. When such emphasis is placed on attendence we may begin to think that appearances are more important than what's in our heart. And attending a service or watching one on television can and does often inspire us and make us feel very good. It is up to us to follow up on those feelings, not to just be content with the "high" of the service. The nature of self deception is sin - Satan is the father of lies and when we start to believe the lies we let ourselves become deceived.

Because we so easily deceive ourselves day after day, we're good at it!

We listen to Bible teaching--even participate in serious Bible study groups--and nod our heads in agreement with the principles we study. :huh:

But then we go out and close the door to that compartment of our lives and live without considering the connection to what we are doing!

Satan is all too clever, and he understands our weak points, then digs in! ;)

Many think if they warm a pew on Sunday morning that they can then go out feeling good about themselves and live a pagan life all week. They consider their "religious duty" done! Wrong!! That's satan ruling our lives by deceiving us, or causing us to deceive ourselves. :o

Too often, we have given God the throne of only a portion of our lives, taking it back when we go into other portions. We must make certain that we take time to digest the information we study, then utilize it to serve God in all parts of our daily lives! Only keeping close accounts with God will enable us to do that! :wub:

Studying the word and acting on it go hand in hand. God speaks to us through His word, so it is important for us to listen and apply His Word to our everyday liivng.

Anyone who does not do that is only deceiving himself

and depriving himself of God's blessings. He or she cannot be a true witness for God.

Listening to bible teachings is certainly part of growing and learning our roles as children of God. The question one should be given at the end of any study is, "What will you do now." I believe each of us has a purpose in God's plan and together we form the body. As parts of a body, each of us has a purpose and we must perform it.

I like many had many reasons for not doing the things God commanded me by God in his word and from many teachings. Some may argue that this was a growth period and I was not ready to act. To them I say, read the account of His apostles and you will see that they performed what was needed and they received power to do to those things from Him as needed.

I also believe our self deception is part of satan's lies. He is the one who casts doubt within us, he is the one who causes us to think we are not ready or capable. This deception can also be based on what we do normally, our past experiences, our present lives. Yet, one thing is certain, He who is in us will provide all that is necessary as it is needed. That gives me more than hope, that shows me that He lives in me.

I can say in that He has never failed to provide what I have needed, nor will He ever. If we but beleive this then all is possible through Him.

Mat 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

The saved and the unsaved can be lulled into an attitude of believeing that:

1. if I read my Bible and go to Church then I have done my duty as a good person.

2. if I memorize some Scripture and quote it whenever called upon, then I am religious enough.

The Word of God teaches us "not to be a hearer only, but a doer of the word."

The nature of self-decption is sin. We sin when we become hearers only and not doers.

(1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that

listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous

lives? What is the nature of the self-deception?

thinking that we're being righteous just we go to church every sunday, or we obey the commandments etc.

but if you don't believe in GOD, truly believe in him all your good deeds will get you no where. GOD is what it's all about period! believe in him and you won't have to sweat the rest of it.

Q. 2 Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives? What is the Nature of the self-deception?

James 1:22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.

We think we are so wise as to the ways of the world. For some reason we get this false notion that just listening to the Word of God means we are living as God wants us to live. I guess that is sort of like looking out the window, seeing that the sun is shining and thinking we are a sunny day. It isn't quite that simple.

We have to not just hear God's perfect Word, we have to obey it if we are to live righteous lives. When we follow God's instructions, we are doing His will and showing our love for Him.

Everyone can "talk the talk" but can we "walk the talk"... going to church, being part of a bible study, small group, reading our bibles are the right things to do... but can we put it in to action... the Bible says to tithe 10%... do I? the Bible says not to swear... do I? the Bible says to love your neighbor... do I? the Bible gives us all kinds of direction... do I put what I read in to action? Sometimes we want to fit in... am I a Christian all of the time or when it is convenient? Do I worry about what God thinks or what other people think? Sometimes I struggle to follow God's Word... He never said it was going to be easy all of the time... but I find the more that I follow His Word the easier it gets... Thank you Lord for being the God of second chances. I will work harder at not getting "fooled".

Self-deception is not seeing and learning from our faults... stagnating.

We are fooled into thinking we are living out righteous lives because we read the Bible and attend church services out of habit or duty. We do not take in the Word of GOD and do what it says. Satan doesn't care if we read GOD's Word out of habit or duty as long as we do not respond to what it is telling us to do.

B) Seems simple enough, Jesus said that if you love me then obey my commands. So just listening to what Jesus has to say isn't enough. We have to live out the words that Jesus says. :D

Q2. (1:22) Why are we so easily fooled into thinking that listening to Bible teaching means that we are living out righteous lives?

There are a multitude of ways to be fooled into thinking that by listening to a Bible teaching, or going to church, or doing a Bible study (hehe), or being a leader for Christ, (ETC) .. Can lead us to believe that we have become righteous due to our acts. That is why we always ALWAYS! need the Lord to lead us and guide us .. even in our endeavors that we do to become better Christians. We can ONLY become better Christians when Christ is our leader. Thank You Jesus.

What is the nature of the self-deception

Self-deception is what we fall into when we are desperate to feel good about ourselves and our actions. Self-deception is born of fear and ignorance.

I love studying the Word. I could read and read for hours and just delight in The Bible and other Christian writings. But Helen is right, it is only one dimension. Magnus is right on target. We think we are Holy by our deeds and our studies. I found that while I was studying, I was learning more and more and I thought I was growing. However, all that studying was insulating and isolating. THe more I read, the more I thought I knew, and the more I became judgemental of those who were not as studious as I. I cannot believe I am confessing this. Anyway, there came I time when I was no longer in a position to study or teach and I find that as long as I have to "walk the walk" I don't have as much room to "talk the talk"!!!

blessings

susan

WHY ARE WE SO EASILY FOOL???

I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR MANY YEARS

AND ALL I NEEDED THEN WAS TO LISTEN

AND TO PASS A TEST, NEVER, NEVER

CAME TO MIND TO APPLY WHAT I WAS

LEARNING, FORMULAS, ALGEBRA, HISTORY

AND SO ON. YEARS AND YEARS OF LISTENING

WHEN I BEGAN TO STUDY THE WORD OF GOD

MY WAY OF DOING THINGS WAS TRANSPORTED

TO MY NEW STUDIES, ONLY LISTENING BUT NEVER

APPLY IT TO ANY THING.

IT WAS UNTIL LAST YEAR THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT

ILUMINATED ME AND GAVE ME THE GIFT OF BEING

OF SERVICE, WHAT A WONDERFUL CHANGE IN MY

LIFE, I FOUND NECESSARY TO BE OPEN, TO BE WILLING

TO BE QUIET AND TO PRACTICE, LOVE, AGAPE LOVE

I SUFFERED A RADICAL TRANSFORMATION AND TODAY

NO LONGER HAVE A HOSTAGE AS MY WIFE BUT INSTEAD

I HAVE A LOVING WIFE, WE HOLD A TRU RELATIONSHIP

WHERE GOD IS IN THE MIDDLE. LOVE ONE ANOTHER

IS OUR MAIN AND STRONG PRICIPLE, NOT A PEOPLE

PLEASING BUT A PEOPLE SERVING

WE HAVE A SAYING THAT GOES LIKE THIS: DO YOU

WANT TO KNOW HOW SPIRITUAL I AM??

ASK MY WIFE.

MY GOD RICHLY BLESS YOU.

I totally agree with joyandblessings and others who expressed similar ideas. We live in a time when we are taught that knowledge is power so we are in information overload with Christian books, Christian CDs and DVDs, Christian television, Christian radio, etc. as well as what we hear in church. We become passive listeners, believing that because we see, read and hear these things somehow we become righteous by osmosis.

Until we become "doers of the Word" and "doers of the messages from books, TV programs, sermons, etc." we are indeed deceiving ourselves and ignoring the fact that "living out" is an active verb.