JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q23. Humbling Ourselves

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These actions are vital because we have freedom of will and we must willingly obey the Lord. If we don't have humility then we have pride. God cannot work with pride because it shuts Him out. If we submit and obey in humility, it automatically means we are humble, submitting to God, resisting the devil and coming nearer to God. To remain humble we must constantly turn from/avoid sin thus purifying our hearts. Man is corrupt from the beginning there is not one righteous so it's a continual cleansing and turning to God. Once we take our eyes off of Him, we sink into the world. It's an continous effort and a willing effort on our part. Our nature is to fulfill OUR needs. In order to fulfill Christ's commands, we must concern ourselves with fulfiling OTHERs needs. To submit continually to His will is difficult because I'm very impatient. If I go my way it enivitably leads to unnecessary suffering. It is a continual self-discipline. How I wish I would be more like Brother Lawrence who put Christ continuously before him. I'll get there!

3a.) (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital?

3a.) They help us to focus on God and His purpose.

3b.) (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. In what way do they go against our nature?

3b.) Because, don't we want what is best for us (in a worldly way of thought)? Look out for number one...this is not the case if we focus on God's purpose which is to bring salvation to all men. "He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe." (John 1:7) Talking of John the Baptist. "..He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9b)

3c.) (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

3c.) Humbling myself.

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital? In what way do they go against our nature? Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

If we do not humble ourselves before God, we are holding on to our pride--a very common sin for all of us I think. At least, it is to me and the one that I see in those who resist God. (We usually see in others first the sin that is in ourselves!)

We like to think we can take care of ourselves. What's wrong in going it in our own power? We piously say God gave us our brains--or this or that--to use, so we should use them and thus we are doing God's will. But, don't ask us to check with Him first to see if this thing we want to do really is God's will! We do things and then ask God to bless our doing! That's backwards. If we stay close to Him, desire to know and do His will, and willingly step out in faith that He is in control, then He will bless the effort with His strength and His blessing. As Paul often said "When I am weak, then am I strong (in the Lord)!" I've often seen this when talking to churches about our mission work. I rejoiced when I had some illness or other problem that made talking in my own power futile, for then I knew God would take over and He would make what came out of me be from Him, not me! Always that brought results that people shared with me--and I could share with them that it was not me!! The glory always goes to Him! :lol:

Yes, I know. I'm preaching to myself! So be it. Perhaps I'll listen this time! ;)

Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands.

it's alright to be proud of the lord but not of yourself, for that is a reward.

Why are these actions so vital?

you're suppose to be thinking of the lord not yourself. GOD gives out the rewards, not you

In what way do they go against our nature?

it's human nature to feel good for doing something righteous.

Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

the one most difficult for me is changing my laughter to morning and joy to gloom.

how can you get anyone to listen to you if you're in that type of mood. i want all to see how happy i am being with and knowing GOD, and that they can be the same.

These 10 commands are vital because if we don't submit ourselves to GOD we cannot resist the devil. Trying to resist the devil on our own is futile and will cause many problems.

Submitting to GOD and humbling ourselves goes against our nature because we want to lift ourselves up. We want to be the one that others see and admire.

Verses 7-10 contain different commands.

Why are these actions to vital?

So that we might live godly in Christ Jesus and to take our sin seriously.

They go against our fleshly nature which is ruled by pride.

Which of them is the hardest for you?

Draw near to God.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

These actions are vital inasmuch as we are to walk worthy of the Lord , unto

all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. After all, we are admonished to live up to the standard

Jesus has revealed to us, and His standard was to do always what the

Father wanted Him to do.

These things go against our nature because we were born into sin and thus

slaves of sin and we are subject to the things that please the flesh.

Drawing near to God seems to be the most difficult for me. I believe that one

has to pay a high price to come into His presence, and have a burning bush

experience (as one example). I believe that there are a few in the forum who

could relate to the rest of us, just what the cost factor is in drawing nigh unto God. The scripture exhorts us to take up OUR cross and follow Him.

Because you can not straddle the fence without getting hurt. All these commands are vital to being in alignment with God and His will.

We don't like to be told what to do. We are independent people. (prideful) We are rebellious by nature. It is hard work to keep oneself from the evils of this world.

I think humility and being humble is the most difficult for me. I don't like to admit that I am weak in areas that I should be strong. It is that root of pride again showing it's ugly face. I haven't got it quite under the blood yet, but I will conquer it in Jesus' name. For He is my strength and I can do all things through Him..

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are

these actions so vital? In what way do they go against our nature?

I think its every vital to help us to see that we need to repent and draw closer to him. Helps us to see that we need a clean heart. And by this we need to resist the devil and turn back to God. But this is hard for us to do cause we want our way in everything. When we need to remember God's way is always better than our ways. :rolleyes:

Its sometimes hard to humble myself B)

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital? In what way do they go against our nature? Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

They tell us what God expects of us and the way to reach out to him to be able to live for him and be expectable to him. We can't please God unless we are willing to humble ourselves and do what is right in his sight.

Our nature does not want to admit that we are wrong. It wants us to be able to do what we want without any thing stopping us. We are in human form but we need to live Godly this is never easy unless you are willing to submit to the will of the living God.

It is hard for me to take things before the throne and then leave them there. It is like I think in my mind at all times that I can do something to help this problem if I just work at it. We know that is wrong it is taking the faith out of our walk and we are not trusting God to handle what we need. The human nature is one to try to fix everything. This is hard for me because I was taught that if I work hard and do my best that things will work out for the best. That is not always so. We can do all we can and still fail if we don't trust God for help us. Knowing his will and his way is always best. Jesus is all we need so we need to put thing in his hands to help us and not try to do everything ourselves. Help me Lord to do this more.

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital?

Because the commands take the 'focus' from ourselves and direct it toward God and the things of God. We must both submit to God AND resist the devil. We must draw near to God so that He can draw near to us. Knowing that we are not right, that we are wrong, that we have evil ways and can be evil people, is an afflicting, mourning,and heavy realization.

Our nature is to do as we think to be right. This is enmity against God.

Resisting the devil.

These different commands are interlinked and consist of our response to the Lord. If we love the Lord and are obedient unto Him, we will obey all these commands and live a life that pleases Him. These actions are necessary for a true Chrisitan to be fruitful for the Lord as that is the purpose of our very existence. We have to glorify the Lord through our life.

The basic nature of humanity is rebellion. We rebel against any rule. Since all the different commands are of the servitude type, that is, humbling ourselves, grieving and mourning for our sins, purifying ourselves, getting closer to God etc, mean that we have to fight our basic nature to do all these things. In other words, we have to deny ourselves to go closer to God. :)

Submission to authority of God is perhaps the most difficult part. I might submit a part of my life to Him, but submitting everything is difficult. I have to stop living for myself and start living for the Lord. That's a tall order but God is helping me realise His goal for me slowly. I am grateful to Him for His endless mercy for me. :huh:

Q3

1. Our Lord wants to "lift us up." We can never be used of God if we continue in our old ways. I was lost, but now I'm found. The Lord is wanting the church to walk in His ways. We are to be a light to the unsaved world. If we act as thought nothing has taken place in our lives after salvation, then we sure can't be a wittness for Christ Jesus.

2. I don't know if "nature" is the right word there. My old nature was to walk after the "flesh." Since Salvation, I have "put on Christ", which is now my new nature to walk after Him. II Corinthians 5:17 goes like this: "Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new." Refer back to II Cor. 5:13 through 16 to show why there is a "Therefore" in verse 17.

Also in Galatians 5:16 Paul tells us to ". . .Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the **** of the flesh." We need to remember, the flesh did not get saved. Our Soul (the real me) got saved. The flesh lusteth after the things of this would. That is why we must walk in the Spirit of God to give us the POWER to walk as the verses 7 to 10 prescribe to those that are the bride of Christ.

3. To think about this question, I would have to say the flesh goes a whoreing after any one of the ten at one time or another. You get your eyes off Christ and you will fall. James 4:7 tells us to "submit ourselves to God." The Lord is our strength. Thank the Lord the saved have Power over sin. We can also thank the Lord that He will forgive us if we fall.

These actions outline a way to come into fellowship with God once again after moving away from Him in sin. All these actions are vital because they essentially talk of repentance and forgiveness and coming back to God.

They go against human nature because they call us to look within ourselves, to acknowledge the sin in our lives, to becoming humble and taking a step towards God. But as born again children of God, this process should become part of our nature!

At different times, I find certain actions difficult. Sometimes it is difficult to submit to God. At other times, it is difficult to be single minded and stay in faith. But at all times it is God

These actions are vital because the devil will flee, God will come near and God will lift us up. Without them we will not be free of the devil and God will not be near us nor we He lift us up, We will remain in our sin.

They go against our nature because our nature seeks wordly pleasures, seeks to satisfy self, remains proud and independent of God. None of these commands will result in earthly rewards. The most difficult for me is a toss up between purifying my heart and humbling myself.

Q3. (4:6-10) Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital?

They are vital because they help us to get closer to God and stay that way.

Our nature is to look out for #1, that being ourself.

Resisting the devil is probably the hardest for me. He is so clever sometimes I don't realize he's messing with me at first.

Verses 7-10 contain 10 different commands. Why are these actions so vital? In what way do they go against our nature? Which of these commands is most difficult for you?

The actions are vital in order to conform our will to God's will. Following these commands shows true faith. They go against our nature because our nature is to be selfish, to be independent, and not to admit or even realize when we are wrong.

True humbleness is very difficult.

These actions are vital because we need to submit to them in order to mature in our christian walk and to grow closer to Christ.

These actions go against our nature because most of us like to do our own thing,we don't like having to submit to authority.

The most difficult of these commands for me is 'submitting to God.'

There are areas in my life that I know I should turn over to Him,but as of right now,am unwilling or reluctant to do so.