JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q32. Wandering Sheep

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

If God put something or someone on your heart, pray and believe that God hears your pray.

I always liked the saying That you can't steer a parked car. If you faith is active God can direct you.

If you fear God you will listen more intently for his voice and when you hear his voice you will obey. Jonathan Edwards is his sermon "Sinner in the hand of a angry God" said that humanity hangs by a single spiders web over the pit of hell. With a flick of God's finger and we would all be in hell.

Ask God to help you pureify your heart.

God Bless

We might be more proactive in praying and preaching to non-believers, thinking a beiliever knows what to do if they stray. We think they can find their way back and will eventually. I believe satan attacks the believer more than a non-believer so it is of utmost importance that we free the backslider from satans' tight grip through confronting the wanderer with their sin and praying for them so they become repentant. I dangerously backslid and God saved me through supernatural means. He basically hit me on the head with a 2 x 4 and said 'Hey stupid, where do you think you're going! I'm happy to report that I'm no longer stupid. :D

Q4. (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

The job of the church is to grow the body - to make it healthy. Today, we see larger churches affectionately called Mega churches, with tons of people and no depth. You get lost in the crowd and unfortuantely, lost in your walk with God. Accountability with other believers - preaching that sin is sin and requires confession and repentance and a life change is slowly slipping away from our church sermons - - and we are preaching the love message to attract the lost. That is great, but Satan will leave the lost alone and he is unmercifully attacking the believers. Because the lost he already has, if he makes a believer stumble and wander, then they will not be preaching the Good News.

The Word tells us to rejoice when we return a brother back to faith! -- we must concern ourselves with the body - - keeping it healthy - - restoring those members that have wandered. The healthier the congregation the better the work of evangilizing will be.

Active faith is dynamic. It goes out from us to do things for the Lord. Dead faith is selfish. It says, you are saved, its enough. Be satisfied.

But our Lord, in Luke 15, gave a tremendous example of how a good shepherd, leader, Pastor, shoud behave. With love for the lost soul. Active faith is going out to gather the lost souls and bring them in for the harvest. When the Lord returns, the faithful ones should present the Lord with a basket full of fruits (souls) to make the Lord say, well done, thou good and faithful child...

In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs.

dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back

the wandering sheep so important?

these sheep know who the master is. so if they are not lead back to him they'll be lost forever. and another master that isn't kind will find him and take him away forever.

are we not disciple of the Lord ? didn't Jesus say help each other as i have helped you?

It is important to both the person that is lost and to God. Imagine losing something that once belonged to you .. something you loved and cherished. Imagine being lost to God and His ways and His mercy. Hmmm..

These are our brothers and sisters in the Lord and we HAVE to look out for our family. Isn't that what families are all about?

Why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so

important?

For as the body is one and hath many members, and all the members

of that one body, being many, are one body; so also is Christ. If the

foot shall say, because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it

therefore not of the body ---the above is said to show that when

one member of the body is hurting (or wandering) , then we must

all have a concern for that part of the body which has temporarily

lost his way. We are duty-bound to reach out and draw that member

back to the fold. God is not willing that we should lose one.

The stakes are too high to ignore. Many of us have someone who is straying. Maybe one of you or me will be the one to return that poor soul back to the Truth.

Let's pray that God will keep each of us in the Truth with His strong protective hand.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers6:24-26

Remember "Let all that you do be done in love"

Our purpose as followers of Christ is to seek and to save those who are lost, hence the Great Commission.

If we can bring back to the fold that one person who has gone astray, we would be demonstrating our trust and faith in God's redeeming love. God's Word indicates, 'that it is not His wish that any of us should perish, but that all should have eternal life.'

Therefore, in rescuing a fallen brother/or sister, we would not only be achieving what God wants us to do, but we would also be following the pattern by which Jesus lived and wants us to emulate.

Q 4.

1. James is very clear on this subject. ". . . he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins."

Walking in sin seperates one from the fellowship of the God. Pslms 51:12 David cries out: "Restore unto me the joy of they salvation; and uphold me with they free spirit." Showing one their sinful ways and they confess, their sins will be forgiven and they will have the joy of their salvation restored.

To not only pray for those christian believers who are sick and confess their sin but for those who have wandered from the truth and are still wandering. Someone should bring him back and turn the sinner from the error of his way and save him from death. Physical death is a sure thing but eternal death can be prevented. A person should not have to die away from God and bear his own sin alone. All christians are called upon to pray for wanderers and bring them back to the Lord if they can. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. Faith without works is dead.

4.) (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

4.) I am drawn to Jesus' warning to the church at Laodicea. It was neither hot nor cold..because you are lukewarm, I am about to spit (vomit) you out. Jesus warns, "Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, but he who stand firm to the end will be saved." (Matthew 24:12-13) Active faith shows a love for God which is alive through our faith.

In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs. dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back the wandering sheep so important?

Because if I wandered, I would sure want someone to come find me and bring me back. I don't want to die apart from God and don't want anyone else to either. Active faith means going our and bringing those lost in, one at a time.

Q4. (5:19-20) In the light of James' emphasis on active faith vs.

dead faith (2:17), why is the role of finding and bringing back

the wandering sheep so important?

If we let one of our brothers or sisters stray from the truth and not go to find them. How they going to find their way back again. Its very important for us to go to them lovingly an show the wrongs they are doing and guide them back. Satan just loves to pull us away from the love of God. Its our responsiblity to pray and bring them back

Dead faith is selfish faith and it does not care for anyone save oneself. But active faith is a faith that cares, that motivated by love, it reaches out to others. In this light, when a wandering sheep is found and brought home, it is done because of love and faith. This is part of the works that James has talked about.

Live faith is active faith that will move and get things done. Some times when another falls short they need help to be able to come back to the place and even higher than they left. The word says the angels rejoice at the return of a saint to the Kingdom. We know it is God's will for all of us to make heaven our home. Sometimes it happens one will fall short and we are all not perfect so when we see a brother or sister that has left the love we need to do all we can to help them find their way back. The word tells us that doing this not only saves their soul from hell but will hide sins from you for the work you do. None of us are perfect but we can have perfect love through Christ Jesus one for another.

• 3 weeks later...

The role of bring back sleeping or dead sinners is vital. They can cause a great deal of harm to the Word. Christians who have left, or a part believers are sleeping - And God could judge them more harshly

Bringing them back is vital to Gods plan - what a merciful God - and Prayerr is the key - since bondages may be involved and deliverance required.

• 1 month later...

The Bible Knowledge Commentary has a good summary of our responsibility as believers:

Wandering ones need to be brought back to the fold. James referred here not to evangelism but to restoration. Revival, not redemption, is in view. The rescue action is of great significance. A lost sheep is saved from destruction and his sins (the sins of the restored one, not the restorer) are covered as if a veil were thrown over them. He can move ahead again on the path toward spiritual maturity. James has given clear instructions about how to achieve practical holiness and spiritual maturity. His pointed exhortations were designed to stab the consciences and stir the souls of his beloved Jewish brothers. Stand with confidence, serve with compassion, speak with care, submit with contrition, and share with concern. A believer should be what God wants him to be, do what God wants him to do, say what God wants him to say, sense what God wants him to sense, and share what God wants him to share. Spiritual maturity involves every aspect of life.

God has granted to all believers the ministry of reconciling wandering souls to Himself. When the evidence indicates a professed believer

• 3 months later...

FAITH BY ITSELF IS DEAD; IT NEEDS ACCOMPANYING ACTION OR WORKS TO BE ALIVE.THEREFORE IF SOMEONE STRAYS AND I'M ABLE TO HELP THAT PERSON SEE THE LIGHT OF CHRIST ONCE MORE. THEN THROUGH MY LIVING FAITH IN CHRIST I'M ABLE TO HELP SAVE HIS SOUL FROM DEATH .IT IS IMPORTANT FOR US AS CHRISTIANS TO WALK IN LOVE BECAUSE FAITH WORKS BY LOVE AND SO IN ORDER FOR ME TO HELP THE WANDERERS OR THE BACKSLIDDEN I HAVE TO HAVE AN ACTIVE LOVE WALK WITH THE LORD.I'M NOT SURE IF JAMES IS SPEAKING OF PHYSICAL DEATH OR ETERNAL DEATH, BUT THE GREATEST JOY I HAVE AS A CHRISTIAN ASIDE FROM A TRUE RELATIONSHIP WITH MY HEAVENLY FATHER IS TO SEE SOULS SAVED FROM SATAN'S GRASP AND BE TRANSFORMED INTO THE KINGDOM OF LIGHT...GOD BLESS...

• 2 months later...