JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 4 months later...
Guest Tabatha

;)

Q1. (Ephesians 6:1-3) What kind of obedience and honor is appropriate for adult children to show towards their parents? What might be the exceptions? How do respect and forgiveness figure in this relationship?

Adult children are not asked to be subservient to domineering parents. Children are to obey while under their parents care, but the responsibility to honor parents is for life

If our faith in Christ is real, it will usually prove itself at home, in our relationships with those who know us best . Children and parents have a responsibility to each other.Children should honor their parents even if the parents are demanding and unfair. Parents should care gently for their children, even if the children are disobedient and unpleasant. Ideally, of course, Christian parents and Christian children will relate to each other with thoughtfulness and love. This will happen if both parents and children put the other's interest above their own-- that is, if they submit to one another.

Some societies honor their elders. They respect their wisdom, defer to their authority, and pay attention to their comfort and happiness, This is how Christians should act. Where elders are respected, long life is a blessing not a burden to them.

No action on either part should go unforgiven. Parenting is not easy --It takes lots of patience and forgiveness to raise children in a loving home. Christ-honoring manner, frustration and anger should not be causes for discipline. Istead parents should act in love, treating their children as Jesus treats the people He loves. This is vital to children's development and to their understanding of what Christ is like.

No matter the age of a child/children, must honor their father and their mother and be obedient.

Q1. (Ephesians 6:1-3) What kind of obedience and honor is appropriate for adult children to show towards their parents?

When we become adults, our obedience to our parents should continue as we obey the Word of God. Regardless of the age, children are to obey their parents in the Lord. There are parents, of adult children, who feel that they must control their children even as adult. In such situations, without dishonoring the parents, children should respectfully let their parents know that they appreciate the concerns of the parent, take the advice into consideration but the final decision on the matter is up to the child. In all situations honor, respect and love should be shown to parents.

What might be the exceptions?

There are times when older parents may be mentally challenged, suffering from conditions that woul render their rationalization impaired. Under such conditions the adult child must not hurt the parent by being rash with them but must show love and honor them as their parents.

How do respect and forgiveness figure in this relationship?

As children, even adults, we may never understand the motives of a parent but we should always show them respect and if they cause us harm; find it in our heart to forgive them and show them love.

• 3 weeks later...
Q1. (Ephesians 6:1-3) What kind of obedience and honor is appropriate for adult children to show towards their parents?

Some of my thoughts have to do with practice: Don't emphasize their mistakes or failures. Recognize them but also remember to give priority to their/our positive actions, attempts, and attributes in our relationships.

Of course, if obedience [interpreted to be the same as honoring, in this case] contradicts one's belief parameters, after thoughtful consideration one can give the reasons why one can't go along with the request. Example: To lie about a repair cost to get more insurance money.

Forgiveness may be difficult, especially in an abuse situation, but it is possible. Love and then be surprised when it is return by an act of repentance and love by the other. Example: For many years, and for reasons of her own, my mother disliked my wife and showed it by many actions. It was a tough relationship for us and we tried to maintain and show as much unconditional love as we we able. My mom had a serious heart attack. In the hospital, when we visited, she asked to be alone with my wife in her room. Fifteen minutes later my wife came out to get me... it was obvious that they had both been crying. My mother had asked for forgiveness from my wife for her misdeeds of the past toward her. You see, my mom had watched a Billy Graham Crusade event on TV on her hospital bed and had asked the Lord into her life. The Lord's forgiveness had worked another miracle. She died the next day. Thanks be to God.

Q1. (Ephesians 6:1-3) What kind of obedience and honor is appropriate for adult children to show towards their parents? What might be the exceptions? How do respect and forgiveness figure in this relationship?

I think adult children are past blind obedience to parents except if they still live in their parents' house. In that case they are still obliged to submit to parental rules about the house. They are certainly to rspect the fact that their parents own the house and deserve to be content within it, content with the way it is run etc. When they have their own home they can make the rules.

However, adult children are to honour their parents at al times. If they differ in a point of view, they are still to respect the parent in his/her viewpoint, and agree to differ. Their spouse comes before parent in fealty and parents are not permitted to come between their child and spouse. Parents can still be honoured however, by having physical needs (including some company) met in old age, by having their opinions sought on important issues (they possibly have some wisdom to offer), having birthdays remembered, and lots of little ways. Close relations should be sought and encouragement given all around!

There are always exceptions - when parents want civil law or God's law broken, when they want to interfere between husband and wife, or want to dominate their lives.

Respect is required at all times, even for the worst of parents. One can still give respect and honour. Forgiveness makes this possible. Loving is not the same as giving in all the time. Love can occur even when wisdom differs.

Obedience & honor to one's parents as an adult, is to repect them, be kind & caring towards them.

The exceptions would be if they asked you to do something immoral or something that might hurt your marriage if you're already married.

I think we can all find some place where our parents failed & my children can certainly see where I failed as a parent too. Forgiveness is key to our relationship with our parents & to respect them as having tried as hard as we do now. Try to see them as God sees them & be thankful for all the positive input into our lives.

(Ephesians 6:1-3) What kind of obedience and honor is appropriate for adult children to show towards their parents? Obedience is the same to parents as is unto The Lord. In all things we are to please The Lord, so obeying our parents, is in effect obeying The Lord. Boy, I wish I had known this when I was growing up

As an adult a child should have the utmost respect for their parents as they were used by God to bring them forth into this world for His purpose. God orders us to honor them and we must as it was they that brought us into adulthood even if it was not in the manner of love that we would expect. God uses the most difficult of family circumstances for our destiny and as we grow in Him we come to have pity on those we love who may not have been able to do what they should have as parents. It is when a parent tries to draw us away from the Lord or tempt us to risk our salvation that when we need to back away. It is possible to obey God toward your parents without being close to them because of faith issues. One should never completely disregard ones parents however, as there will be a time when they will be no more and any chance to win them to the faith will be gone forever.

There is a difference between obeuing and honoring . To honor means to do as one told. To honor means to respect and Love.

Adult chldren are not asked to be subservient to domineering parents . Children should honor their parents even if th parents are demanding and unfair.

The responsibility for children to honor parents is for life.

Both parents and children should put the other's interest above their own - that if they submit to another in God's Love.

The kind of obedience and honor that adult children are to show towards their parents, show be with obedience, respect, loving and caring. We should always remember our parents who love and cared for us when we were growing up. What might be the exception? I believe that when they becomes elders sometimes they are not able to do for themselves, we should be there for them, not to forget about them. We should always respect and forgive our parents. All parents are not perfect, they have made some mistakes in riseing us (I know that I have made some mistakes in riseing my son, and my parents have made some in riseing me) forgiveness is the keys, we must forgive, just like God has forgiven us.

Adult children should show their parents love and respect. It is written in the Word "Honor your parents" and this is what adult children should do as Christians.

The exceptions should be if the parents request unlawful behavior or behavior unfitting to God. Ones parents should not come between the new family of their adult children, unless warranted, and the adult child should maintain a healthy relationsonship with his/her parents even in adulthood.

We must respect our parents for their wisdom and knowledge even if we don't always agree we can still respect them for loving us and caring enough about us that they try to keep us on the righteous path. We should always take care of our parents, in the best ways that we can. We should never abandon them no matter what the situation, we should constantly show them our love and honor them as our parents.

God has told us to obey and honor our parents. We are to do this until death. This is also for our protection. We are prayful and hopeful that they are not going to tell us to obey when it causes us to disobey God. When God tells us to do or not to do we can rest assured that it is for our good. I losted my father on April 6, 2007 and we often talk of the things he told us. When we are younger there are a lot of theing we don't see and don't know, it is our parents that are keeping us alive. Just think how many holes we would have stepped in if we had not listen and obeyed. When we did not obey we had to suffer the consequences. I know the rod was not spared. :rolleyes:

The exception would be when we are asked to do something contrary to the word of God. This should be in every area of our life.

We are to respect and forgive just as we want to be respected and forgiven. They will forever be our parents and we should do all we can do for them. Respect and Honor them while we have them. I think of my dad often and wish he was here. But I am okay because I obeyed, respected and love him while he was with us. Cherish all the moments, they are precious.

Honor and obedience that shows respect for them. Helping them to continue to grow in the Lord and to live lives worthy of His Love. If they are trying tolive for Christ then we as they children and children of God must show them the same love.

The exception might be when they refuse to accept God as Father and Saviour. If they are not living lives worthy of Christ and His love for them. Respect and forgiveness inter the picture when we as sinners fall short in our respect and honor for each other wheather as children or parents. We must remember that we are all sinners and have fallen short and must show forgiveness for each other.

Children can obey by listening and doing for them. Chores that older adults have difficulty with. If still living in household all the more reason to help around the house. Children like to do their own thing, but to listen and honor parents is commanded of God and they'll have long life. Only if asked to do something immoral should a child disobey the parent and turn to the Lord instead.Our lifespan is directly dependent upon our willingness to obey. Christ respects us enough that He gave His Only Son for our forgiveness. A child will mimic what he sees so if we are doing what God wants us to, the children will show respect.

1) Adult children should obey, honor, respect and care for their parents.

2) Exceptions to obedience is if the parent(s) are sick or on some type of medication that may cause them to request things that are not good or healthy for them physically or spiritually.

3)Adult children should always respect and forgive their parents. Adult children should always take the best care they can for their parents.

I beleive it should be an ongoing thing for adult children to show respect and honour towards their parents unless of course what is been said or encouraged to do goes completely their faith and the Word of God.

Personally it took me awhile to forgive my parents for what happened in the past but we have worked through it and now we have a renewed relationship based on love, respect and honour in both camps.

• 2 weeks later...

Adult children are to show respect to their parents. They are to care for them.

The exception to the obedience required is when the parents demand or oder the childeren to do any thing that will not honor God. Obedience must to God first, parents next.

The kind of obedience and honor appropriate for adult children to show towards their parents is of obedience, listening with harkening to or responding to a command, but that is done in the Lord, that is, that is part of our obedience to the Lord. The children must obey their parent in everything, but if they are asked by the parents to do something opposite to Lord's Word, they must obey the Lord instead of their parents. The command to obey our parents gives way to the underlying command to honor them at point the children form a new family.

Of honor, it is of not cursing, of listening, of not despising, of caring, the parents, of making them glad. To honor our our parents is our obligation until death.

Respect and forgiveness figure in this relationship in the way of that the great respect of the children to our parents is proofed by their forgiveness for their wrong and hurting treatment to them.

• 2 weeks later...

As adults, we should care for our parents in the older age. At that time, they need looking out for just like they did for their adult children. The only exception is if they are telling you to do something immoral or against God. We must forgive like Christ have forgiven us.

• 1 month later...

Obedience and honor as adult children includes honoring, listening to, and caring for them. The exception would be those things that go against our Lord.

Respect is difficult when a parent goes against God. I believe we can still honor a parent in this situation, but respect tends to indicate agreement with their actions and under some circumstances that is not possible. That's where forgiveness comes in. When we can't respect, we can still honor and forgive.

• 3 weeks later...

After we are grown and move away we are not required to obey our parents any longer, but we are to honor them always.

I don

• 6 months later...

Even adult children should obey any requests their parents make of them unless it is illegal, immoral or endangers their own family. However, adult children should always honor and care for their elderly parents. This means to show the proper respect to them and to be sure all of their needs, emotionally and physically, are provided for.

The idea of respect and forgiveness are implicit in this relationship. If we respect our parents, then we can not only forgive any wrongs done by them towards us, but to recognize any wrongs we did and seek their forgiveness. There is a mutual requirement to recognize the need for forgiveness, seek it, give it and accept it. This formula should flow both ways, from child to parent and parent to child.

God requires this of us and He sees and rewards our obedience to His command appropriately.

• 1 year later...

To obey parents mean to honor one's father and mother.to show respect reverence kindness courtesy and obedience. scripture is not speaking to any certain age child. it isspeaking to all of us who are children with parents still living.we are to honor our father and mother. tragically this is a rarity today.

• 2 months later...

We are to honor them by listening to them, caring for them and supporting them as we are able.

When a parent is violent, abusive, addicted....unable to have a relationship with even adult children, and it is unsafe or harmful emotionally to be in relationship with the parent. If there has been sexual abuse of the child by the parent, or having allowed the sexual abuse of the child without intervening and protecting the child. In these cases, honoring the parent may be in praying for them and allowing them dignity by not speaking badly about them to others.

It is imperative to forgive the neglectful or abusive parent, regardless of whether they have admitted the abuse or asked for forgiveness.....forgiving them sets the adult child free from resentment and bitterness. To despise a parent is not honoring God, God's command, nor does it honor the parent.