JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. A Light to the Nations

I have always interpreted "a light to the nations" on an individual scale, as if I must be a light to all the individuals with whom I come in contact. As I look at the verse now, it seems that this command is also directed to nations, in other words, people from foreign lands, as well as directed to governments including my own.

If I were to be a light to those I met in my daily life, which I think I am to be, then the passage would have said something like, "be a light to those around you." But it tells me to be lights to nations!

How do I do this?

I'm praying to influence people who lead other nations, somehow, that the circle of my acquaintances enlarges to include the people God wants me to talk to, influence politically and bring to saving faith. I pray to do good deeds but more than this, act in such a way that I stand out as a Christian among seculars.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q3. (Isaiah 42:6-7) What does it mean for God’s people to be “a light to the nations”?

Israel was supposed to light the path to God for the nations. Now that Jesus has come we Christians are supposed to do this, by living different than the world, by caring for others, caring about justice, being kind and compassionate, doing everything in love.  

In what ways are you “letting your light shine”? How well do you represent God’s covenant in your everyday life?

I try to put other people first. I share God's truth when I can. Facebook is a good place to give Godly wisdom. I need to do much much better.