JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Culture Change

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

Although I have been to other countries, I have never had to make any transitions from my customary culture nor did I have to forsake my faith in the process.  So the answer is no to each question.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My change has not been one of geography but of time. 

The transitions in age can be just if not more challenging as life events threaten to overwhelm me. 

Sometimes my faith sustains me and sometimes I just totally lose the plot. My faith seems to phase in and out as time passes. 

I am grateful when it is with me and search very hard when it seems to slip away.

My interest in this bible study is to consider how the values in the Lion's Den can be made relevant in today's environment where the lions don't think twice about eating you!

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

I have not had the opportunity to transition to a dissimilar culture that would have caused me to be hesitant in practicing my faith openly.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I moved from India to the Middle East for 3 years. However, it actually brought me closer to my God - who was the only familiar entity who would be with me everywhere. One of the first things I did was to look for the nearest church and being a flight attendant, I travelled to many countries but always tried to look for a church I could go to on a Sunday

Yes. I moved from India to the Middle East for 3 years. However, it actually brought me closer to my God - who was the only familiar entity who would be with me everywhere. One of the first things I did was to look for the nearest church and being a flight attendant, I travelled to many countries but always tried to look for a church I could go to on a Sunday

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

Before entering university in another country, I was recently born again. I was warned by my Pastor's wife not to let my faith slip. She warned me about idols that would become snares and traps to my new faith. Unfortunately my faith slipped and faded into the background as pride, humanism, worldliness and materialism took root in my heart and became the true "gods" that I worshipped then. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have.

In answering this question, I will give some of my personal back ground.

I have been addicted to drugs. In order to come out of my addiction, I necessitated a change of playmates, playthings, and area of my addiction.

it felt like I was a child in this new life. The treatment I went through had described being drug free, I would experience this. At the time I started using, my emotional being, was frozen. On becoming clean, I would still have the same emotions that I had when I started. So it was as if I was a 14 year old man. Mostly everything I was experiencing was new.

I had been brought up in the church so I had always felt that all the things I was doing was wrong against man and God.

• 10 months later...

Closest ever coming to a culture change was starting at a new school in seventh grade. Moved from a big city to a small town. Nothing like Daniel's change. My faith was not challenged but adjusting to small town life was difficult. 

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have move out from my native country of Honduras  where was very hot and humid. My first state to move was Wisconsin  in winter time. There was a lot of snow in the ground even blocks of ice. It was culture  shock for me that I never had seen snow,the weather  was very cold for an immigrant  from tropical weather.  Furthermore. I did not speak the language,so you cN imagine  my first days in a foreign land. My faith still with me, and fortunately  my wife who brought  me there is a Christian  with many friends at the Presbyterian  church

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2015 at 6:39 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I recall a rapid transition from my farming family home on the outskirts of a small rural village to a tertiary campus in a large city. It felt foreign, frightening and a sense of aloneness. With having to adapt to different people, routines and environment, my faith remained but adjusting took a lot of my time and focus.