JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Name and Mission

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life? 

1) It was father God's plan to name his son "Jesus" to indicate his mission. Jesus comes from the Hebrew name Yeshua. Yeshua is a compound word that means "God saves". 

2) King JESUS' mission was to rescue us and save us from the penalty of sin. <3

3) He brought re-assurance in my life. Confidence in not fearing the unknown. And most importantly JESUS brought the Holy Spirit into my life so I can work on becoming a better man in understanding king JESUS' finished work for me and try to emulate my king. <3  He made me a work in progress and I am so grateful! :-)  Praise king JESUS and father God.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The name Jesus means Yahweh Saves, so the name is linked to his mission. 

His mission is to save his people from their sins.

Jesus fulfills his mission by dying on the cross and sets us free from sin, if we believe in and trust him.

He fulfill this mission in my life by accepting me as his, because I believe in and trust him.

• 1 year later...

How is the meaning of Jesus ‘ name linked to his mission?

Jesus’ name means ‘Yahweh saves’  and ‘ saves’ carries also the meaning of ‘deliver, give victory, help.’ This name was deliberately chosen to express God’s plan for Jesus ‘ life, for he was to save his people from their sin.(Matthew 1:21) It was his destiny; the purpose for which he had come to earth.

In Luke 4:18 He says:

”The spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he had anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he had sent me to heal the broken hearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. All this is contained in the meanings of his name Jesus - to deliver, to give victory, to help, and I add, if I may: to loose, to deliver, to set free.

Howdid he fulfill his mission?

In submitting to his father’s will by dying on the cross; the only lamb without spot and blemish worthy to be sacrificed in exchange for our sins, only the shedding of his blood could do it.Therefore he was able to say: ‘It is finished,’ which according to Tony Milano in a devotional article entitled ‘It is finished Jesus does not need your help’ is one of Jesus’ most important statements , written in the present perfect tense to indicate that the progress of the action has been completed and the result of that action is ongoing and with full effect.’

The action here of course is the salvation and deliverance of all mankind from sin forever, breaking its power over us, and giving us victory over hell and the grave.

All thanks and praise to God that I can say with confidence that He confronted me one day through my then Pastor with the ugliness of my sin and my wretched condition and offered me God’s grace and his unconditional love and the offer of full salvation and deliverance if I would believe in his redemptive work on the cross, and if I would be willing in genuine confession and repentance to hand over my life to him, not only for safekeeping but also to be used to bring honor and glory to his name. An offer which I desperately needed and gladly accepted.

• 2 months later...

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life?

Jesus’s name means “Yahweh saves”. Jesus mission when he came was to save the people from their sins. It was not to overthrow the Roman government but to overthrow and defeat Satan and his kingdom. Jesus came to set people free from their sins and provide an atonement for us on the cross. He died so we could be saved and live forever. This was the reason behind His name. He told people about salvation when He was on the earth and He died and rose again to ensure and provide a way out.

He fulfilled His mission in my life when I accepted Him back in 1997 as my Lord and Savior. Through Him I am saved and on my way to heaven. Through Him I am forgiven of my sins and they are remembered no more. I am saved, justified, cleansed, redeemed, sanctified and glorified. Through Him I have a home in heaven and God is my Heavenly Father. I have the Holy Spirit residing in me and I am an overcomer through Him. He died so I could have eternal life.

Yeshua or Jesus means Yahweh saves just like the name Joshua. It is completely linked to his mission by His Heavenly Father that He was given which was to die on the cross at Calvary. He was not meant to overthrow the Roman government until a later date when his 2nd coming not his 1st coming. Jesus was meant to be under their authority up to the point of His death where He would die for the sins of His people even when they would reject Him. He is our atonement and propitiation for our sins and we should be thankful for it. He said in Luke 4:18 what His mission was and they rejected Him because they thought He was supposed to overthrow Rome for them. In one week's time they had a change of heart from praising Him to yelling crucify Him over repeatedly on a Friday. 

He fulfilled His mission in mine at age 7 and I gave my life to Him at that age. But I rededicated myself to Him in 20's while watching a Billy Graham Crusade as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus' name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life?

I am answering this as one question.  Jesus means Yahweh saves.  But the word 'save' does not mean just to go to heaven.  It means to 'save, deliver, give victory, help.'  In my personal experience and in the bible it also means 'to heal' and 'make whole.'  

'How did He fulfill His mission?' caught my attention in the last two questions.  Jesus fulfilled His mission through His death and resurrection, but His mission is still not fulfilled.  He is continuing His mission of saving the world through His church.   We are the Body of Christ and He is still fulfilling His mission through us.

Jesus has saved me continually throughout my life and will continue to save me as long as I live. His mission is still being fulfilled in my life. 

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus' name means Yahweh saves and His mission is God's plan of redemption - to save His people from their sins.  He fulfilled this mission by providing the plan of salvation for all who believes on Him - He was the Lamb slain as our substitute for the death penalty of sin.  In my life, I believed in my heart that Jesus died for my sins and confessed with my mouth that He is my Savior and therefore received forgiveness as well as a restored relationship with God.

• 11 months later...

Jesus Name means Saviour His mission was to come and save humanity from sin and reconciliation between God and man. Jesus by dying on the cross paid the price of sin and instead of death He brought life. He has paid the price of my sin and shown me grace I don’t deserved. Now through Him I have life in abundance.

• 4 months later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To help you internalize and apply what you’re learning from this study, I’ve included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don’t skip these. It’s best to write them out. You can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you’ll need to register. You can find instructions at

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/instructions.htm

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to his mission?  What is his mission?The name in Hebrew means to "save, deliver" so Jesus was named for his mission which is to save people from sin-- "savior."  

How did he fulfill this mission? He was crucified, which symbolically was an act of sacrifice for the sins of his people.  

How did he fulfill his mission in your life?  I've been a fairly righteous person for most of my life but now that I am looking up to Lord Jesus as my savior and protector, I find myself trying to be more forgiving and loving as he had been in his life. I am not perfect, esp since I'm a new convert, but I'm getting there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To help you internalize and apply what you’re learning from this study, I’ve included several Discussion Questions in each lesson. These are designed to help you think about and ponder the most important points. Don’t skip these. It’s best to write them out. You can post your answers – and read what others have written – by going to the online forum by clicking on the URL below each question. (Before you can post your answer the first time, you’ll need to register. You can find instructions at

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to his mission? What is his mission? How did he fulfill this mission? How did he fulfill his mission in your life?

a. Jesus name alone means "Yahweh Saves." - He came to Save.

b.  His mission and purpose was to save, deliver, give victory over sin and help mankind to be overcomers.

c.  His mission was fulfilled:  HIs ministry of 3 years of healing those who were oppressed of the devil, teaching of the kingdom of God, being beaten for our healing and shedding of His blood for our sin, buried, risen from the dead and ascending to heaven and the Father and sending His Holy Spirit to be with all those who believe on Him and have faith in Him and what he accomplished for us.

d. He fulfilled his mission in my life by drawing me, letting me know He is real, loving me and moving on my heart to cry out to Him .  In that crying out I surrendered my life to Him.  I became a new creature in Christ and have never been the same.  Learning of Jesus I want to know more because In Him is a wealth of treasure and I am here to search it out.

• 2 years later...

It's fascinating that Jesus' name was common among First Century Jews and was a shortened version of Joshua. God could have chosen other names but chose a name that signified salvation. 

Clearly, He doesn't save us from anything "this worldly" but from the sin within us. That was his mission. His assignment. To save us from sin.

Though salvation is a point in time, my "felt" salvation is incremental and has more to do with the process of sanctification.

• 5 months later...
On 12/10/2015 at 1:07 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

His Name represents His mission. Jesus mean sozo; savior. To offer through His cruel death and resurrection we can be forgiven of a life of sin and live eternally. By His horrible death he provided our salvation. Yes in my life He forgave me, set me free and gave me eternal life. 

• 5 weeks later...

1. Jesus the Nazarene Carpenter’s Son

Q1. How is the meaning of Jesus’ name linked to His mission?

ANSWER: “Jesus means in Hebrew: “God saves.” At the annunciation, the angel Gabriel gave Him the name Jesus as His proper name, which expresses both his identity and his mission (Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins (see Matthew 1:21).

The name “Jesus” signifies that the very name of God is present in the person of His Son, made man for the universal and definitive redemption from sins. It is the divine name that alone brings salvation, and henceforth all can invoke His name, for Jesus united Himself to all men through His Incarnation, so that “there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.” Like Josuha of old, Jesus will deliver His people from their bondage and bring them into the true promised land of God's forgiveness.

What is His (Jesus) mission?

ANSWER: Jesus came to earth to preach the Good News, to give people an understanding of the Kingdom of God and the eternal hope that they had through Him. Jesus not only preached the Good News through His words, but He powerfully demonstrated the Good News through His actions!

How did He (Jesus) fulfill this mission?

ANSWER: An essential part of Jesus’ mission was, of course, to die for our sins on the cross and, through repentance and faith in Him, open the way for us to experience eternal life with the Father. As Romans 5:8 says, “God demonstrated his own love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us”. Jesus paid the penalty for our sins!

How did He (Jesus) fulfill His mission in your life?

ANSWER: Jesus came to reconcile a broken world, to put into a right relationship all He created, and bring in a Kingdom of righteousness, peace and justice. This is something that He has started, and which will be completed when He comes again!