JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Taking Pleasure

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to "take pleasure" in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you? When does he "take pleasure" in you? What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

I suppose He is displeased when I let myself just act in ways that are natural and easy and selfish - ways of my "old man".    I hope He takes pleasure when I surrender to Him and His Spirit's leading and then really want to be His light.   What keeps me from serving Him deliberately and joyfully is simply idolatry - self ishness.

• 1 year later...

God is displeased with me when I forget about Him, that is when I do not put Him first, in which I do a lot. I do not like it when this happens, I let “life” get in the way and do my best to work stuff out my way. I always end up back at the Lords feet and long to please the Lord. That is why I am here today.

• 10 months later...

Q1. (Haggai 1:8)

Q. God wishes to "take pleasure" in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you?

A. When I am more concerned in my welfare and comfort and not committed to taking care of his house.

Q.  When does he "take pleasure" in you?

A. When I do what pleases him by worship and giving- time and resources for his house. But I now need to do better than I have been doing. So help Lord.

Q. What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

A. I think selfishness that leads to concentrating my job and business and inadequate attention to Him and His work.

• 9 months later...

God is displeased with me when I fail to obey Him. When I neglect Him and do not give Him the time I should give Him. Time spent in reading His word, in prayer and in meditation.

God is pleased with me when I come to Him and put my trust and faith in Him each day. When I surrender every part of my life to Him and acknowledge Him as Lord and Saviour. I also please Him by my obedience, by my study of the scriptures to learn more about God and what He expects from me. 

The main reason I don’t serve both joyfully and deliberately is because I am distracted by so many other less important things in life. Usually for me family, husband, etc. 
The Lord showed us very clearly that Mary in the story about Martha and Mary , was doing the right thing by sitting listening to everything Jesus had to say rather than helping her sister prepare a meal for Jesus and his disciples. However I do try to do everything for  the Lord and try to honour Him by doing everything to the best of my ability.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 2:52 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Haggai 1:8) God wishes to “take pleasure” in the temple, but the people have stopped working on the project. When is God displeased with you? When does he “take pleasure” in you? What is keeping you from serving him deliberately and joyfully?

When God's instructions are clear, then it is lack of faith that causes one to be disturbed and afraid when troubles interrupt obedience to Him. That will displease God, for we should believe He will take care of it. 

Lack of courage I suppose especially for ladies who can be vulnerable without male protection or support