JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Spirit's Voice and Nudges

The Spirit's voice is often a still small voice from within. We need to pay extra attention and listen in order to hear what He tells us. 

The nudges and promptings often do not give us a complete picture of what we are supposed to do, but if we are obedient and do what God asks us to do He is faithful to bring us to a place where we will see the whole picture step by step so that God will be glorified.

To sensitize myself to the voice of the Holy Spirit for me is to develop a deeper relationship with Him, paying attention, always listening and always expecting to hear from Him 24/7.

• 9 months later...

I'm not sure there's much of a difference between God's voice, particularly if it is small and still, and nudgings, but I can understand a difference between inaudible-voice/nudging and a very audible voice. In some of the OT figures as well as the NT, the voice seems to have been heard, not intuited.

I have never heard God's audible voice but I am getting sensitive to the little promptings within me that tell me to do or not do something.  Sometimes it's me, not God, or so I think. The ambiguity concerns me. I'd like to be sure it's God, not my own stray thoughts or imaginations.

The big question remains, however, which is this:  If God wants to communicate with me, why doesn't He just do so?  Why the gaming and error and fear, on my part, that I'm getting His voice right? Why does God talk in a voice I can barely hear and often mis-hear if He has something to tell me?

• 1 year later...

Q3. The Spirit’s voice I hear through God’s word. When reading something I can get the impression that it is so relevant to something in my life. It can help me deal with a situation or make me look at it in a different way. I think this is only possible when I am actively walking each day in the Spirit. When I have spent time with the Lord and asked His help to see what He wants me to see in His word, and also seeking His guidance throughout my day. 
The Spirit’s prompting or nudging comes about in the same way, by having a close walk with the Spirit on a daily basis. I have often felt I needed to delay a decision or going somewhere, or to do or not to do something. Later I have realised it was the prompting of the Spirit because it turns out that it would have been the wrong thing to do. I used to tell myself I was just procrastinating but then began to understand that it was the Spirit nudging me. It certainly takes time and prayer to differentiate between our will and God’s will.