JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Holding Fast the Word of Life

Q3. (2:16) In what sense are we Christians to "hold fast" the Word of Life? In what sense are we to "hold forth" this Word of Life? How does this relate to the purpose of the church?

The purpose of the church is to meet the needs of mankind and mankind's deepest need is to be reconciled with Jesus Christ.  The word of God is unchanging and unmovable.   We must adhere to the foundation of the gospel and let the word of God do the changing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To hold fast means not to forget it. Our lives are busy and pull us in many directions. I have to make a purposeful commitment to keep Gods Word in my mind and heart.

To hold forth means to talk about it to those in need, to hold out the words of God like a lifeline.

To hold fast means not to forget it. Our lives are busy and pull us in many directions. I have to make a purposeful commitment to keep Gods Word in my mind and heart.

To hold forth means to talk about it to those in need, to hold out the words of God like a lifeline.

• 9 months later...
On 4/15/2005 at 9:24 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. (2:16) In what sense are we Christians to "hold fast" the Word of Life? In what sense are we to "hold forth" this Word of Life? How does this relate to the purpose of the church?

To "Hold Fast"to is to hold on to the  word of God to live the word.

To "Hold Forth"is to go forward and spread the word of God to the world.

Relating to the church, it's purpose is not to forget to preach and teach from the word of God.  

• 5 years later...

To hold fast is to be glued. We are supposed to be either glued to the Word of life (by the Holy Spirit) or be glued to it (by our own efforts). 

To hold forth is to evangelize. We are supposed to go forth/out into the world to talk about the Word of Life.

The longer I study under Pastor Ralph the more I realize that my conception of church/fellowship/koinonia is hopelessly confused. When I read this, I immediately individualized it: I am to stay glued to the bible and I am to evangelize. The question, though, is how these two clauses relate to the purpose of the church, which I'm not sure about. That's a "WE" answer I can't give.

If I view the church as a bunch of individuals as opposed to a unity, then the answer is easy -- individuals in church are to stay close to scripture as well as evangelize.  If, however, I view the church as a thing, a whole ... well, does the church evangelize? No. Individuals evangelize. The pastor in his sermon evangelizes. There's no "we" here.

The bottom line is I'm not sure how this relates to the purpose of the church.

• 2 months later...