JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 98

Q3. (Psalm 98) What are the reasons given for praise in Psalm 98? Why do you think praise is so exuberant in this psalm? How exuberant is praise in your congregation, in your life? Why or why not is it exuberant?

1. One of the reasons that we are to praise God is because of His mighty deeds. Another is for His victory by His power and holiness. The last reason is because he revealed His righteousness to every nation. He showed salvation to the whole earth. I believe that is so exuberant because of the fact that they were saved from their enemies and wanted to praise the Lord. It is not exuberant at all. A lot of people don't raise their hands or dance before the Lord. The only thing played is the grand piano at the church. In my life it is more exuberant since I listen more lively Christian music and Messianic worship. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 98) What are the reasons given for praise in Psalm 98? Why do you think praise is so exuberant in this psalm? How exuberant is praise in your congregation, in your life? Why or why not is it exuberant?

The reasons are that God has been faithful to His people. He has become their salvation by rescuing and delivering them from Egypt. He has shown his greatness to all the nations surrounding them.

I think the praise is so exuberant is because the psalmist is remembering how God saved them from Egypt and other nations. He is remembering how God provided for them on their journey. How He led them in the desert just like a shepherd leads his flock and protects them.

Now, I am not in a church; but in one church I was in before the praise was very exuberant. But in the other one it was not. Very few people raised their hands or clapped and very few said Amen or Praise the Lord out loud. Most of them stood like statues while singing.

In my own life my praise is sporadic. At times I am exuberant and other times I struggle to praise Him. I believe I am this way because my prayer time and study time are short and I do not take the time to really listen to hear God’s voice. So often I do not feel close to Him as I should. I struggle to believe He will bring us to a church and it shows in my worship.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

The Lord, through His mighty arm has wrought great salvation for the people of God.  He has revealed His righteousness to the heathen and showed His mercy and truth to the children of Israel. The imagery is that of a mighty Warrior, who wielded His sword for the protection and salvation of His nation. Moreover, He is going to come and righteously rule over as the King of kings and Lord of lords, where righteousness and peace will prevail throughout the whole earth.

The psalmist exhorts to praise the Lord with harp and a voice, with trumpets and cornets. Moreover he commands the seas, and the entirety of the world, the floods and hills to praise the Lord. He calls everything created to worship the Lord. Romans 8:19 says that the creation waits expectantly for the manifestation of the sons of God. If the seas roar out its praise, the mountains and the hills rejoice in Him and the floods clap their hands in its fallen state, what would be the expression of praise when the King of kings will ultimately rule over the earth. If the creation because of the fall expresses its praise in its minor key, what would be the fullness of its praise!!

I think there is scope for improvement for the expression of exuberance of praise in my life. And for that I need to magnify the Lord in my life at all times.  

• 4 years later...

What are the reasons given for praise in Psalm 98? 

• God has done marvelous things
  • God has come to judge the earth with righteousness and equity. 

Why do you think praise is so exuberant in this psalm? 

• the strong arm of the Lord which works SALVATION for his people
  • In context: Old Testament- salvation deliverance from enemies. New Testament - salvation through the blood of Jesus Christ and from enemies and schemes of darkness. 

How exuberant is praise in your congregation, in your life? 

• very exuberant outwardly with continuing emphasis on a worship lifestyle. 
  • In my life, a mindset cultured to Honour God through righteous living in my thoughts, actions, response to others, in my speech and definitely, in my exercise of daily trust and faith in God and His word through every season. Hallelujah amen 

Why or why not is it exuberant?

• exuberant because as a church and individual there is a like mindedness that God is Creator of heaven, earth and all in it, great, worthy, faithful, just Judge, Saviour. 

THANK YOU LORD 

“All your works praise you, Lord; your faithful people extol you.”

‭‭Psalms‬ ‭145‬:‭10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

https://bible.com/bible/111/psa.145.10.NIV

• 1 month later...

Why praise God?

• For what He has done in our lives -- "He has done marvelous things"
  • For our salvation from our enemies -- "... have worked salvation ..."
  • For revealing His own righteousness -- " ... revealed his righteousness to the nations."
  • For continuing to love believers -- "He has remembered His love ..."
  • For letting Himself be seen by everyone -- "... all the ends of the earth have seen."
  • For judging the earth fairly -- "...judge the earth with ... equity."

My congregation is not exuberant in it's praise though the congregants do praise God. It is thoughtful, restrained, orderly, liturgical and private.