JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Charge to Archippus

Archippus was singled out so that he can move forward. Sometimes we become stagnant in our work for the Lord because we take our focus off God by watching others that are not working, or allowing offensive words from others concerning your assignment to stop you from moving forward. I believe Archippus may have been a Teacher that had been persecuted for his teaching the gospel and nay have been considered to young and unlearned. I am a teacher of God's Word and I open a school with a sister in the same denomination as myself, the end result was devastating. Know God layed it upon my heart to have a school but the devastation has stagnated me. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1.Paul obviously felt he needed to send a message to either encourage or to remind Archippus of his God given duty.

Q2.Archippus appears to be of the family of Philemon. His parents may have been Philemon and Apphia. They held a church in their house so they were fervent believers, and Archippus was part of that influence. He is described as “our fellow soldier “. He was possibly pastor of the house church. He may have needed encouragement, he was facing problems as all pastors do if they are pastoring a church, unfortunately wherever there are human beings there are problems. 
Paul reminds Archippus that his ministry is a gift from God, but God will give him all he needs to faithfully carry out His duties, despite the discouragements which may arise.

This is a reminder to us all to be an encouragement to our Pastors and deacons and to pray for them . There is so much apathy and distracted ness in the world that we don’t always put the things of God in their right place. I am sure this must so often be discouraging to our church leadership.

Archippus reminds me of myself when I am on fire about something and how discouraged I get when I realise that others don’t feel the way I feel. This was usually at work, trying to introduce something new which I felt was going to make life easier for staff or enhance quality of life for our patients. I often wonder about our Pastor if he is discouraged when people don’t come to prayer meetings, or don’t turn up to help with some project in the church.

Then I pray, and make sure I am as faithful as I can be. 

Colossians 4:17 "And say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received in the Lord, that thou fulfil it."

“Archippus”: Most likely the son of Philemon (Philemon 2). Paul’s message to him to fulfill his ministry is similar to the exhortation to Timothy (2 Tim. 4:5).

“Take heed to the ministry” can be interpreted in one of two ways:

(1) It is a rebuke to Archippus for failing to finish his Christian service; or

(2) It may be Paul’s way of informing the Colossian church of his approval on Archippus’ ministry, and the church was to let him finish it.

It appears from this, that Archippus had an important job in the church at Laodicea. Whether he was pastor, we cannot say. It does appear that he has been discouraged, and Paul is telling him to stay in there and do the work that God has called him to do. Paul also says in this, that he was chosen of God for this job, he had not appointed himself.