JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Galilee

Pastor Ralph

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19). Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus? Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus’ full light? How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee? How has light transformed your reputation in your circle of friends?

• 3 months later...

If they live in darkness then they think that they can do anything that their hearts desires. They resist the Light of Jesus because they don’t want their evil thought and actions to be exposed. I think that when I hesitate to step into the light there is something that I don’t want exposed. The light transformed the reputation of Galilee by making it a better place to live in. The Light has transformed my reputation with my circle of friends by showing that I can be trusted.

People choose to live in darkness because they think the cost of following Jesus may be too great for them. They may resist the Light because they may feel too sinful in their habits, or too unworthy, or that they may have to give up something they want to hold onto. I may hesitate to step into Jesus’ full light because of those things just mentioned, or because I may even feel embarrassed to stand up for Him (ashamed to even think or say that!!) Now Galilee is known as the land where our Lord lived, walked, and performed miracles. What a wonderful distinction to have! People that know me know that I live according to my faith in Christ. I pray that His light will shine forth in me everywhere I go. 

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19). People who choose to live in darkness are either being deceived into believing that when our sins are forgiven by Jesus, it's okay if we sin. They could also be choosing to live in darkness because of fear; it is what they know or because they feel unworthy of such great love. It is the shame that is ever with us because of the sin within us. Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus? Resisting the Light of Jesus has a lot to do with fear and control. I had to let go of control and fell in love with Jesus at that point. Later, the Holy Spirit led me towards letting go of my fear over my past sins and I was able to conceive a much wanted second child after 6 years of infertility. Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus’ full light? Hesitation comes from the shame. We don't want to expose ourselves nor do we want to see ourselves for what we really are. How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee? Light brings everything out of hiding into honesty and truth. How has light transformed your reputation in your circle of friends? We can be honest about our not so warm and fuzzy feelings and remain friends because we know that in the end openness and light in our relationship is better than anything. 

Q1. People choose to live in darkness because of many things such as unbelief, they don’t want to take the necessary steps of faith, they are too absorbed by the things of this world, they are aware of the sin within them but don’t want to let it go or don’t know how they can stop sinning.

Q2.People resist the light of Jesus because they don’t realise the blessings of walking with Jesus, they feel it is an imposition on their lives. They may not want to get rid of the sin in their lives.

Q3.I get distracted by the things of this world and fail to spend sufficient time in prayer and study. 
Q4.Galilee was transformed from a dark gloomy place into a place where Jesus was present and brought wonderful blessings to the people.

Q5.Walking in the light has made me a better friend more faithful, loving, patient and non judgemental. At least I hope I am! 

Why do people choose to live in the dark ... and resist the light of Jesus?  This question anguishes me because I'm the only saved member of my family. All the people I love are  adamant atheists who know they're rejecting God, but do it anyway. My father, an elderly man, reads Bart Ehrman (an early church scholar who rejects Jesus though raised Baptist) for the sheer joy of goading me. My son, in his twenties, puts up his hands and arms to silence me in a visceral display of rejection. Additionally, I was married to an argumentative Jew who was incredibly bigoted against Christians -- we divorced recently because of my faith (and his adultery). All I can say is that there's something inside of atheists that's irrationally opposed to hearing the gospel or being open-minded about the truth. Perhaps "... the god of this age" that blinded their minds is Satan.

Why do I hesitate to step into Jesus' full light? It hurts to turn to the light. Every time I make a spiritual jump of maturity, scraping off the past is incredibly painful. I hesitate because I can count the cost. Staying in sin is infinitely easier than developing character in obedience.

How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee?  It went from a dusty, forgotten or maligned town to the place of Jesus' ministry. 

How has light transformed my reputation in my circle of friends? They know I'm a believer. I even have a devotional blog, which they refuse to read. Former friends slowly shunned me, and though I'm tactful and socially adept, they feel uncomfortable around me. I feel uncomfortable around them as well. As I wrote above, even my ex-husband said that my Christian faith ruined our marriage (not true). So, though you may expect Christian faith to passively glow and enhance one's reputation, the reality, at least in my life, is that my reputation as a Christian has greatly shrunk my circle of friends.

9 minutes ago, Krissi said:

Why do people choose to live in the dark ... and resist the light of Jesus?  This question anguishes me because I'm the only saved member of my family. All the people I love are  adamant atheists who know they're rejecting God, but do it anyway. My father, an elderly man, reads Bart Ehrman (an early church scholar who rejects Jesus though raised Baptist) for the sheer joy of goading me. My son, in his twenties, puts up his hands and arms to silence me in a visceral display of rejection. Additionally, I was married to a argumentative Jew who was incredibly bigoted against Christians -- we divorced recently because of my faith (and his adultery). All I can say is that there's something inside of atheists that's irrationally opposed to hearing the gospel or being open-minded about the truth. Perhaps "... the god of this age" that blinded their minds is Satan.

Why do I hesitate to step into Jesus' full light? It hurts to turn to the light. Every time I make a spiritual jump of maturity, scraping off the past is incredibly painful. I hesitate because I'm counting the cost. Staying in sin is infinitely easier than developing character.

How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee?  It went from a dusty, forgotten or maligned town to the place of Jesus' ministry. 

How has light transformed my reputation in my circle of friends? They know I'm a believer. I even have a blog, which they refuse to read. Former friends slowly shunned me, and though I'm very tactful and socially adept, they feel uncomfortable around me.  I feel uncomfortable around them as well. As I wrote above, even my husband said that Christian faith ruined our marriage (not true). So, though you may expect Christian faith to passively glow and enhances one's reputation, the reality, at least in my life, is that my reputation as a Christian has greatly shrunk my circle of friends.

Thank you Krissi, you are a light into this world. Carry on, God is with you. He has you in the palm of His hands and cradles His child with a smile on His face.... I imagine with a "that's my baby girl".  Continue to inspire. God Bless 

3 hours ago, LaurieE said:

Thank you Krissi, you are a light into this world. Carry on, God is with you. He has you in the palm of His hands and cradles His child with a smile on His face.... I imagine with a "that's my baby girl".  Continue to inspire. God Bless 

And Thank You, LaurieE.  You made my day, dear.

People live in darkness because they choose too. We have a choice. 

I guess I'm hesitant of the light because sometimes people just turn away from what I have to say. For instance, a person was talking about an issue of heaven, hell, and homosexualuty but before I could say anything concerning God's word, they told me they don't want to hear anything because they felt like an argument would start I guess. The person I am, I will not argue. But I just let it go. 

Jesus' ministry brought the darkness into light in Galilee.

People know I am a believer. My mom said I've always been different. I don't have a gang of friends, I have a few. Certain things are not asked of me because they feel I will not participate. 

On 8/29/2021 at 2:51 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19). Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus? Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus’ full light? How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee? How has light transformed your reputation in your circle of friends?

People choose to live in darkness when light is available because the God of this age had blinded the eyes of the unbeliever, so that they cannot see the light of the Gospel and the Glory of Christ , who is in the image of God.

I think people resist the light because of the draw of this world which is not of the Lord.  Satan makes it so appealing in his battle to destroy us.  If we live in the light we cannot conform to this world.  I cannot be a I am not friends with this world.

Why don’t I always step into the light? I allow the things of this world to become more important.  My light is taken away when I feel rejected by others when I worry about things I cannot change.  Lack of prayer time and fellowship with God. The bottom line is I walk not in the light when I trust not My God!! 
Light transformed the reputation of Galilee when Christ stepped into it.

To be honest I’m not sure what they think.  I’m not a part of they’re worldly lives.  I’m not included, not sure if they even think of me when I’m absent from their presence.  But my prayer from this day foreword is that my light will reflect whom I am in Christ.

Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19).

People choose to live in darkness when light is available because they don't want to give up their lifestyle the would be displeasing to God.

Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus?

People seem to resist the Light of Jesus because of the enemy, Satan.

Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus’ full light?

The hesitance comes about when people think of the cost to follow Jesus.

How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee?

Reputation of Galilee was transformed by Light through teachings, miracles, healing and commands that drove out demonic influence from victims.

How has light transformed your reputation in your circle of friends?

Light transformed my reputation as one that loves the Lord and will always give him the glory and honor.

Some People rather live in sin, some to do not believe in the light.

In sin they enjoy the fruits of the darkness.

People 

The people became full of love and forgiveness

I have become more loving and forgiving 

1. a. People chose to live in darkness when light is available because they don't know the real truth and they are content to live  the way they want  and feel they are doing just fine until they come to the end of theirselves. 

b.  People seem to resist the Light of Jesus, because "The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers,so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God." (2 Corinthians 4:4)

c.  I sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus full light because I chose my own way at times.  I need to make better choices.

d.  Jesus came into Galilee and did signs wonders and miracles and the people believed Him and were changed.   He brought light into darkness.

e.  Light has transformed my reputation.  I am now in Christ, a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new. 2 Cor. 5:17

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19). Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus? Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus' full light? How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee? How has light transformed your reputation in your circle of friends?
The reason people choose to live in darkness rather than in the light, is not that they are ignorant, having never heard the Gospel, but rather that their deeds are evil. They are always resisting the Light of Jesus, they will have nothing to do with Christ, the source and embodiment of God’s truth and love. They never read the Bible, refuses to attend church, etc. In their heart they really hate the light, fearing that this Light will expose their evil deeds. There are, of course, also the people who love their sin, and fight against the truth of Jesus, not wanting to face a God who will judge their sin. We might think of some notorious sin, but we should remember the simple demand to be lord of our own life is enough of a sin to deserve condemnation before God. Also, Satan puts various barriers between unbelievers and God, effectively preventing the light of Jesus or the Gospel from shining in. This may be because of pride, or of rebellion, or of self-righteousness, or any one of a hundred other things (2 Cor 4:4). The region of Galilee was most severely ravaged when the Assyrians invaded from the north. However, since most of Jesus’ ministry took place in this region, God certainly had a special blessing for this once neglected land. Having been the first to suffer from invasions, in God’s mercy they were the first to see the Light of the Messiah, thereby enhancing the reputation of the land of Galilee. Hopefully there is enough of the fruit of the Spirit visible in me; that there is a glimpse of Christlikeness to have transformed my reputation among friends. This can only happen with the help of the Holy Spirit, and our lives must be joined to His (John 15:4-5). We must know Him, love Him, remember Him, and imitate Him. For this to happen to us our lives have to be disciplined, and ****, passions, appetites, and temper have to be controlled and eliminated. 

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19).

I think when one has not come fully into the open about the sin committed, then the light frightens one and the darkness seems more welcome. Also one believes that acquaintances and friends will look down on one when this "not so good" part of one's life is exposed. More often than not it is because one is bound by sin that has become a habit and one does not desire to let go of it. 

Because light automatically drives away darkness. When you live in sin (darkness) you shy away from the Light of Jesus because it will expose the sin. 

Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus' full light? 

Sin already committed or thinking wrong thoughts as reflected in Matthew 5- 7, in the Sermon on Mount, is what has made me hesitant or fear exposure. 

Galilee was an area of "mixed" people. It was known as Galilee of the Gentiles. So it was a despised place. Jesus came and showed compassion, acceptance and love in that community and shared His msg of the coming of the Kingdom of God. He healed many and many were set free from demonic power and influence. All this was because the Light had come and was allowed to perform a transformation. 

The language or vocabulary used, changed. When working in the squatter camp I was known as the woman who prays. 

Sin changes everything. But Praise God He is the One Who can change all so that the darkness flees and once again one can walk and live in the Light. 

Q5.Why do people choose to live in the darkness when light is available. 

Fear of changing from their weaked ways  will cause people  to reject light when it comes

Wh di people seem to resist the light if Jesus

Light brings illumination , therefore people will reject light from Jesus they fear exposure

Why do sometimes resist to step into Jesus light 

Unbelief

How has light transform your reputation in circle of friends

It exposed how much I have sinned and needing salvation if Jesus Christ in order to step into the light

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19). Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus?

They are evil men who do not want their evil ways to be exposed by light.

To avoid the truth of the light to expose ,my hidden dark deeds.

By exposing their evil deeds and leading them to repentance

• 11 months later...

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19). Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus? Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus' full light? How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee? How has light transformed your reputation in your circle of friends?

The people who choose to live in darkness when there is light do so because their hearts, plans and works are evil and thus they shun light that can expose them.

The reason why people seem to resist the light of Jesus is similar to my answer above. They prefer to remain in their darkness and thus shun the source of light- Jesus.

Jesus activities and works of deliverance physically and spiritually transformed hearts and lives of people.  

As for me, I am witnessing transformation that is impacting on others around me. I however pray that the Lord will transform me 100% that I may remain totally without any thought or act of darkness. So help me Lord Jesus Christ.

Afraid that their darkness will be exposed by light. Their hearts are evil and the are not willing to obey God.

They feed the flesh and believe it is easier to continue in their sins. Some believe it impossible to obey God and it's to hard.

People have the fear of being ridiculed and looking simple. They feel as if life is easier when not obeying anyone. 

It brought light threw healings and teaching the word of God to transform the life of the people.

With me being an true example and refusing to sin when they knew I could. People see that God is blessing me when I was down.

• 3 weeks later...

Q5. (Isaiah 9:1-2) Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available?

I am not sure that they re walking in darkness by choice!  My thought is that they are dying either physically or spiritually or both,  Perhaps there is no energy or maybe depression has set in or maybe an apathy has set in as a result of physical or spiritual weakness.  In a physical or spiritual darkness maybe their eyes are not opened to having a choice or can not see the light yet.

(John 3:19).

In his time, Jesus was from Nazareth which was an unimportant town unlike Bethlehem which did have the importance of heritage and prophecy.  It was at that time from a preconceived opinion of the value of Nazareth.

In our times, there is no reason to be blind to the light.  We have books to read, webinars and videos available and also attending Church where we can be taught throughout the Church year the meaning of God and Jesus Word simply by listening in the service.

Maybe because of sickness or accident I would not be capable of stepping into the light.

Jesus teachings in Galilee began to reach the people and their eyes were opened. 

We must know the Scriptures, understand what that means, and know and recognize the truth.

• 11 months later...

People choose to live in darkness when light is available because their deed are evil and they love darkness rather than light.  The light teaches men to deny that which they indulge in, ungodliness and worldly ****.

I sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus full because of fear of failure and what other will say or think if I fail.

The people of Galilee begin to see the Kingdom of God breaking into our world.  The heard wonderful teaching, heard astounding miracles .compassionate healing, and commands which drove demonic influences from  hapless victims.  And as the light began to shine Satan increase his tactics for he could not stand idly by and watch man slip out of his grasp.

The light has transformed my reputation among my circle of friends as they have been able to see and experience the change in me.

People chose to live in darkness because they are afraid they have to give up something. But little do they know that Christ wants to enrich their lives.

People resist the light of Jesus because they want to live life they want to, doing whatever they want to.

I hesitate sometimes because I am afraid of what is coming or I won't be able to do it.  Instead I need to let God work through me, trusting Him.

The light transformed the reputation of Galilee because the Word says:  "The people walking in darkness have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned."  (Isaiah 9:1-2)

Light transformed me and my old friends did not want to stick around me any more and therefore, I found new friends in Christ.

1. Why do people choose to live in darkness when light is available? (John 3:19).
    • It appears this light we have seen is not so obvious to some and they do not realise what they are missing. For some however they are just bent on wrong doing and lack moral judgement.
  2. Why do people seem to resist the Light of Jesus?
    • recently I hear a lot of people preferring to go the scientific way and saying Christianity is not scientific and therefore is not real. 
    • in some cases accepting Jesus means giving up a lot of their ungodly lifestyles and they do not want to do that
  3. Why do you sometimes hesitate to step into Jesus' full light?
    • In some cases it is the fear of being ridiculed by those close to me
  4. How did Light transform the reputation of Galilee?
    • Galilee was previously associated wit gloom, distress, darkness and a shadow deep darkness, light transformed it to a glorious place through "wonderful teachings, astounding miracles, compassionate healings, and authoritative commands that drive demonic influence from hapless victims".
  5. How has light transformed your reputation in your circle of friends?
    • Difficult to say because I think the light in me could shine brighter. 
      • but maybe more people find it easy to share their personal problems with me and the parents in my congregation are comfortable to allow me to spent time with their children for an afternoon and sometimes camping