JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Separation in the Kingdom

(Luke 17:33-36) What does our passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the Kingdom comes?

There is so much that it teach however in short Jesus uses some of His favorite symbols to illustrate a. When he returns there will be two groups of people living upon the earth-the lost and the saved (the sheep's and the goats).

Some at this time will try to save their lives and they shall loose it; those that lose their life shall have it preserved.

Two men in one bed. A bed generally connotes sleep, and Jesus used sleep as a symbol of death. He said to the disciples, "Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep." "Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead." John 11:11, 14. In the resurrection at the last day, there will be two kinds of people sleeping in the grave-the lost and the saved. Two women grinding together. In Bible often it a woman is a symbol of a church (Jeremiah 6:2). Grinding grain represents working with the Word of God. When Jesus comes in His glory, there will be two kinds of churches-the false and the true (church = the body). Both will be outwardly ministering to congregations, but only one will be redeemed.

Two men in the field. The field represents the world (Matthew 13:38). When Jesus comes again, there will be two kinds of missionaries laboring out in the field-the false and the true. This is why He said, "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." Matthew 7:22, 23.

How should this affect our lives?

By way of the Spirit's empowerment we should strive to live according to the will of God.

How should this affect our testimony?

Our testimonies should be as that of the disciples that honored Christ, that were by His grace obedient to His commands, that loved Him. Revelation 19:10 I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

How should this affect our love for our neighbors?

We should be obedient to the command of Matthew 28:19 and others, our lives should reflect that of Christ He is the greatest example to a Believer. As we follow others that follow Christ we should only follow them as they follow Christ.

thanks this was really helpful. do you happen to know what was meant by the following statement in the passage: And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Luke 17:33-36) What does our passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the Kingdom comes? How should this affect our lives? Our testimony? Our love for our neighbors?

The passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the kingdom comes is that those who are taken along with him are saved from the catastrophe, but those who are left are destroyed by the impending judgment. This certainly affects our lives since it seems that one group is taken away to be saved, and others are left to experience terrible destruction and punishment. There won't be time to get right with God. This separation will take place instantly, without warning. We must be ready for the coming of the Son of man.

Our testimony is to repent and to really have faith and trust in him or it will be too late, our testimony is to share our christian faith with others, that is our calling or else it would be too late. We should love our neighbors by sharing the gospel with them so that we have more taken away to be saved, and less of them to be left behind for destruction and punishment.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q4. (Luke 17:33-36) What does our passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the Kingdom comes?

The passage teach us about the Rapture - the gathering of all God's people to him at Christ's coming, both the living and the dead.

This will affect our lives in that, some of us will be taken to be saved and others will be left out to suffer destruction and severe punishment.

Our testimony?

This will affect our testimony in that, during the separation and punishment, genuine testimony according to the will of God will be clear and those with such testimony will be awarded, but those with fake testimony will be punished.

Our love for our neighbors?

This will affect our love for our neighbours in that,we will be separated from the neighbours who we love but are not taken by the Lord.

Q4. (Luke 17:33-36) What does our passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the Kingdom comes? One will be taken and the other person will be left.

How should this affect our lives? We should be ready all the time for His return.

Our testimony? Live righteously.

Our love for our neighbors? How can we love God whom we have never seen and not love our brother whom we do see.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Luke 17:33-36) What does our passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the Kingdom comes? How should this affect our lives? Our testimony? Our love for our neighbors?

1) This passage teaches that there will be two groups of people and without warning one will be taken to be saved and the other will be left to face destruction and punishment.

2) We must live a life pleasing to God in preparation for His coming. The separation will take place instantly and there will be no time to try to get right with God.

3) Our testimony should be how we love the Lord and if it was not for his goodness and mercy where would we be.

4) One of the commandments is to love they neighbor as theyself. We should show that love by telling them about Jesus. We are living witness of how the Lord change our lives and we should be telling our neighbors that he can do the same thing for them.

• 9 months later...

What does our passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the Kingdom comes?

It will be suddenly and complete. Sinners and believers will be separated instantly

We must be ready to receive our judgement everyday

Our testimony?

We must realize that those around us must be ready for judgement as well, we must always testify to make sure that nobody we know will be lost.

Our love for our neighbors?

Since we must care for everybody, we must show God's love to all, make sure they are ready to meet their Maker, since we never know when the end will come

• 4 months later...

At the coming of the Son of Man there is going to be an immediate separation of those to be taken unto Him as He manifests His Kingdom on earth and those who are left to suffer the ultimate judgment against their rejection of Him. There will be no time or opportunity to make any decision that would change one’s status. That is a serious note to dwell on.

We don’t fully understand the interpretation of what Jesus predicted here. There is no mention of the rapture in these verses, but I think that’s because this doesn’t involve the Church. In Daniel 12:1-3 God’s chosen people (not his redeemed adopted children) have been warned and promised 7 as-yet-unfulfilled years of judgment (the time of unparalleled tribulation) meant to bring them to realization, acceptance, and profession of who Messiah truly is. I believe the rapture of the Bride of Christ will come at the onset of the Tribulation when we are called and caught up to meet Christ in the air (1Thess. 4:17). In Revelation 19, the marriage feast of the Lamb precedes the Day of the Lord when the Word of God, the King of kings returns. The actual coming of Christ to earth is when He returns to end the Tribulation, release the fury of God’s wrath against sin, and fully establish His Kingdom on earth. Even as there previously would have been a separation of the Church from the world, there will be a separation of those who worship the beast of the Tribulation and bear his mark from those who will refuse to do so because they have recognized Messiah. I think this teaching of the coming of God’s Kingdom in Luke 17 is primarily a Word for Israel to prepare them for the great and terrible Day that will end those years of Tribulation. This is what I've discerned from the Word as I've sought the Spirit's leading, however I'm certainly no expert.

But Luke 17:33-36 reflects a call to everyone to keep awake and be sober [1Thessalonians 5:6], be watchful of our prowling adversary [1Peter 4:7], and follow the admonition of 1Peter 1:13 - Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Jesus has said to stay prepared, expectant, and about the business of His coming – all the time! We just can’t afford to be apathetic or lazy or unfaithful. Our testimony needs to be shared and lived to declare that God has proven Himself faithful to His every Word, and that He will fulfill the remaining promises about the return of the Son of Man and the judgment of all sin. Believing this to be true should inspire a profound love and compassion for every person we have any opportunity to influence. We are challenged to be obedient and true to our commission to take the Gospel to the world near and far. Where’s our fire of zeal?

“Let Your heart be my heart, let Your vision be my vision.

Let Your dream be my dream, let Your passion be my passion.

Use me for Your purpose and let Your will be done.

Let Your mission be my mission, let Your Kingdom come!

KINGDOM COME, sung by BABBIE MASON

• 7 months later...

Those who are in right relationship with Jesus will be taken with Him; those who are not will be left behind. Jesus’ return will be catastrophic and there will be no second chances. We should live a life holy and pleasing to God that will affect our testimony and relationship with others.

• 3 months later...

This separation will be sudden and clearly targeted.  It is near impossible to spot who will be taken and who will be left behind based on external appearance.  The passage also infers that the choice is not made according to groups of people but rather according to each individual.  People who have worked, lived and slept side by side will be separated, one taken, the other left behind. 

Our selection will not depend on our membership to a particular family, culture or church.  It depends entirely upon our own relationship with God.  It is dangerous to compare ourselves to other believers in terms of how we think we are doing.  There may be many who think they have done enough but have actually missed the mark.  We should leave no room for uncertainty and continually seek God in all we do.  

Our testimony impacts everyone with whom we have contact.  In this respect, our actions and behaviour are constantly on show.  If we are not careful, we could very easily mislead others as to what being a Christian is really all about.  Our witness and testimony could be the difference between someone being taken or left behind.  We will be held accountable for the way in which our testimony is perceived by others.  

This should deepen our compassion for unsaved family members, friends and workmates with a sense of urgency.  If we had a true revelation of all that was awaiting them, we would act immediately and do whatever we could rather than passively hoping that they will figure things out on their own. 

• 8 months later...

I believe those who are in good standing with the Holy Father will be taken and those whose lives are not will be left.  We should always be ready.  We should live our Christian life as if today were the last day.  Always be ready.  Matthew 25 teaches us to love as Jesus loved.  This is our mission.

• 1 year later...

When the kingdom comes, of the two in the bed, "one will be taken and the other left."  Of the two grinding grain, "one will be taken and the other left."  There will be no warning; it will be instant.

From Matthew 24:37-41, we find what is meant by Jesus about the ones that are "taken," and the ones that are "left."  When Noah went into the ark, he took his family and the animals (a pair).  Noah and the ones in the ark were taken to safety.  The rest were left for judgment.  When the kingdom comes without warning, there will be a separation and judgment.

This should have an overwhelming affect on my life, that there will be one group that will be taken to safety, and the other will be left for judgment.  I must be ready when the Lord comes.

In light of the coming of the Lord, what is or should be my testimony?  I cannot help but to thing that He should come first in my life.  What all the Lord has done for me and my family is just profound.  What He has done on the Cross--"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life" (Jn. 3:16).  Is He not my All in All?

As to our love for our neighbors, are we not our neighbors keepers?

• 4 years later...
On 9/16/2010 at 2:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. (Luke 17:33-36) What does our passage teach about the separation and judgment that will occur when the Kingdom comes? This separation is when Christ sends the angels to gather those that will be saved, and leave behind those that will face destruction.

How should this affect our lives? Our testimony? Our love for our neighbors? Well it's reminding us to be mindful of God and His Laws because we will all be judged accordingly. There won't be time to explain, make excuses bec the arrival of Christ will be instantaneous, like lightening. That means we should have a clear conscience, and repentant of sins, and have believed in, and loved the Lord in a life of love and righteousness.