JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Valuing the Kingdom

Q4. What does Jesus teach us about the value and worth of the Kingdom? Why are we tempted to value it so little? What helps us to appreciate its true value? How might your testimony help a seeking friend to value the Kingdom more?

:o Two men sold all they had to purchase something of greater value. The Kingdom is worth us giving up all to follow him and have treasure in heaven where it will not be corrupted. We are tempted to value it so little because it is spiritual and we deal more with natural things and possessions. It helps us to appreciate its true value knowing that things of God are forever, his peace, his salvation and his promises of eternal life. God loves and wants them to follow him.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. What does Jesus teach us about the value and worth of the Kingdom?

Abouit the value and worth of the Kingdom, Jesus teaches us that we should be ready to leave everything and follow Jesus in order to inherit the Kingdom just like a farmer is willing to sell all he has to purchase the land containing the buried treasure; or just like a wealthy pearl merchant is willing to liquidate all his holdings to purchase the ultimate pearl of great price. we should not be like a rich young ruler who, despite being invited by Jesus,is unwilling to do the same, because he values his wealth more than the Kingdom.

Why are we tempted to value it so little?

We are tempted to value the Kingdom so little because of our love to wealth.

What helps us to appreciate its true value?

What helps us to appreciate its true value is our willingnes and readiness to surrender ourselves for the sake of the Kingdom and not to worry about the riches of the world.

How might your testimony help a seeking friend to value the Kingdom more?

My testimony must be real, straight and firm, not having double standards. Such testimony should be supported by my deeds.

• 1 month later...

Q4. What does Jesus teach us about the value and worth of the Kingdom? Why are we tempted to value it so little? What helps us to appreciate its true value? How might your testimony help a seeking friend to value the Kingdom more?

1) Jesus teaches us the value and worth of the Kingdom is that it is worth giving up everything we own to obtain it.

2) We are tempted to value it so little because we are more concerned about our material possessions.

3) To appreciate its true value is by knowing the word of God and trusting fully in Him.

4) My testimoney is that through all my trials and tribulations God stepped right in on time and brought me thru. I have learned that I can do all things thru Christ which strengthens me.

• 9 months later...

What does Jesus teach us about the value and worth of the Kingdom?

Not only is it valued above all else, we must seek it above all else, we must totally commit ourselves to it

Why are we tempted to value it so little?

We are still of this world, we have just a little experiance of what is to come throught the Holy Spirit, far far more is in store for us

What helps us to appreciate its true value?

Jesus's teaching and our experiance through our relationship with God

How might your testimony help a seeking friend to value the Kingdom more?

Our words and lifestyle must be a testimony. When people see how happy we are under any circumstances they will want that same support base. When they see how self asured we are when under attack without being pride they will want to have that same ability to rise above earthly trails. This will bring them in a position to seek God as well

• 4 months later...

The parables we’ve studied here reveal the existence of a divine supernatural Kingdom that far surpasses the worth of any realm of earth. It is worth everything we are and have, and even though this Kingdom is only gained as a gift through salvation, a willingness to give our everything is required in order to possess it. We cannot long for and pursue the world and the Kingdom simultaneously.

I think we’re tempted to value God’s Kingdom so little because so often we don’t know what we’re looking for. We’re far too untrained and uneducated in the Word, and don’t recognize the true treasure. I think of an art dealer or curator, for example, who recognizes a priceless Rembrandt painting, we’ll say, when no one else does because he has intensely studied the artist and his work. He determines the origin and worth as he studies the brush strokes, shading, technique, and other works of the artist. The more deeply we know and value the King Himself, the more we will recognize and value His Kingdom.

Also, at present the Kingdom is unseen, except through the Spirit’s work in believers, and what we can’t see often doesn’t seem real. The tangible and practical things of living an earthly life are loudly real and demand our focus. Our inner nature fights against the "upside-down" principles of the Kingdom. Yes, we must live in the world in the human existence, but as believers we’re expected to guard our hearts and discipline our minds to expect the coming eternal Kingdom. We’re expected to take every possible opportunity to participate with the Spirit in the development of God’s Kingdom on earth, through us until Christ the King returns. That effort requires giving up ambitions and desires of self-advancement or protection. If we trust Yahweh, we will be more willing to release ourselves to Him. Then He will release more and more of the Kingdom within us. And we will speak volumes to others as we reflect the character, principles, and hope of the Kingdom.

• 7 months later...

Jesus teaches us that the value and worth of the Kingdom is of more value and worth of seeking what is in the world. We are tempted to value it so little because we have to forget about all we know and have learned from the world. We have to change our physical worldly lives for a spiritual life that is unknown and unseen. We have to go from doing what we want to doing what God wants and these two can have some differences. To appreciate the true value of the Kingdom is to have a relationship with God, study the Word of God, and trust in Him. My testimony could help someone see the value of the Kingdom by telling them Jesus loves them and of the things Jesus has done in my life, who He is to me, and by telling them what He can do for them.

• 11 months later...

The Kingdom is the most valuable thing we can strive for.  We should spend our lives striving for this goal. One merely has to worship the Lord, and be a Matthew 25 Christian.  There is no other life.  This kind of live gives you peace in your heart knowing God is always number 1.  As I look out a window or see new life, whether a child or new leaves on a tree I know this is God's way of renewing life.  He is taking care of us.  This is what I would tell one struggling with the way.  Look around you, what do you see?  Life.  This comes from God.  Make him number one in your life and the rest of your life falls into place.

• 1 year later...

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field" (Mat. 13:44).

The man found a dream of a lifetime; a buried treasure in a field.  He must have been so over joyed that he hid it again and sold all that he had and bought that field to get that treasure.  According to our lesson material the points in this parable is the man's joy, and that he sold all that he had in order to buy that field.

The value of the treasure had to over exceed the price of the field and all the wealth that the man had.  In the man's joy, no price would have been too much.  His joy and in that he sold all to buy the field that had the treasure was well worth it all, and more.

"Again the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls.  When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it" (Mat. 13:44-46).

This merchant, in his searching for choice pearls, found one.  He sells everything he has in order to buy that pearl, and it was worth it all.

Mark's story of the Rich Young Ruler (Mk. 10:18-23) finds Christ with the man's question of obtaining, (what he can do) eternal life.  The conversation closes out with the young man being asked to sell all he had give to the poor and come and follow Christ as a disciple.  Although Christ loved him, the young man loved his money more.

Why do we value the Kingdom so little?  By valuing other things too much and the Kingdom too little.  Trusting in riches/things as our security while the Lord should be our strength and refuge.

What helps us appreciate its true value?  Looking at the Kingdom as Christ looked in these parables, and the incident of the Rich Young Ruler.  To enter the Kingdom, one must give up all-no baggage.

How might your testimony help a seeking friend to value the Kingdom more?  By taking these Bible Studies to heart, in that, my changed life will be my testimony.

• 1 year later...

The kingdom of God is a gift given to His chosen ones who are faithful to His word.  We all fall short of His glory, therefore, we must repent with the whole heart. Sharing our testaments of the Lord's goodness and greatness to those who are lost, weary in spirit and those at the shadow of death is what we are commissioned to do while on this journey on earth.  All Christians have a story to tell.

• 3 years later...
On 9/16/2010 at 2:44 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q4. What does Jesus teach us about the value and worth of the Kingdom? Jesus is saying that the monetary value of salvation is worth everything you have in your life.

Why are we tempted to value it so little? What helps us to appreciate its true value?  I think because afterlife is unknown to us, we tend to want to treasure our life as we know it, more so than an afterlife we know so little about. I guess it's all about finding the right balance of serving God as faithfully as possible, while maintaining a comfortable life for yourself and your family.  

How might your testimony help a seeking friend to value the Kingdom more? I will just tell that friend to worry first about honoring God faithfully and living righteously as per His commandments. Salvation is a gift that God won't deny to His faithful and honest children.