JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Unmerciful Servant

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one?

I think the purpose is to illustrate the point that before God there is no big sins and small sins; whatever serious the sin is, God forgives and He wannts us to be forgiving each other in the same way as He forgives our sins.

If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe?

The big one.

Which debt might be owed us?

The small one.

Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant

• 9 months later...

In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us?

I believe this parable is a comparrison between us and Jesus. We as geat sinners come to Christ and beg for forgiveness. Through His mercy and grace He takes our lifetime of sins upon Him and forgive us. All our sins that we confess and repent, plus even those we forgot about. After we receive Salvation He continues to forgive us our sins, as long as we confess, truely repent and forgive others their sin.

Our sin is clearly the big debt. All our sin that we sin in a lifetime was sin against other people and sin against God. We didn't do all that sin against the same person, but all of it was disobediance against God.

We don't have small or big sin in God's eyes, all sin is disobediance, thus each time we sin we break our relationship with God. Each time we repent, we humble ourselves and submit ourselves back under God's authority.

Our sin is so big that Jesus, the 2nd person of God, had to die for us on the cross so that our debt could be paid.

The small debt is the sin that others sin against us. This sin is small in comparrison to what we gave Christ to forgive. In this case we can have small and big sin. A person can steal $1 from me or $ 1 000 000. To me there would be a big difference in how easily i forgive that person. But to God the sin would be the same, we were disobediant. Both the $1 and the $ 1 000 000 will break the trust between me and that person, my forgiveness of him/her will restore our relationship, although there will be concequenses. Forgiveness doesn't mean discipline must be forsaken. Forgiveness is letting go of the resentment, anger or even hate against the person who sinned against you. You forgave him, but next time you will not leave the $1 on the table to tempt him again. You are not angry anymore, but he must carry the knowlage of what he has done. Even David and Moses had to go through and carry the consequenses of their sin, they were forgiven by God but David was at war most of his life, he never built the temple, Moses never entered the prommised land, but he was forgiven.

My forgiveness of others restores an earthly relationship, God's forgiveness restores an eternal relationship, our debt is big, other persons debt towards us is small in comparrison.

Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant�s action?

God forgives us so much that we can receive eternal life, why cant we forgive others who's sin against us is nothing in comparrison. We must always strive to be more and more like Jesus, how do we show others God's love if we don't forgive?

Also we have a command to forgive, when we don't forgive, we are sinning again, we are breaking our relationship with God again, that relationship that Jwsus died on the cross for, for it to be restored. We are making light of His sacrifice.

• 3 months later...

Jesus contrasted the incalculable debt with the relatively miniscule debt in order to contrast the human tendency to seek and even expect great forgiveness when we wrong (owe) others, but demand what’s due of others when they wrong (owe) us. Jesus was demonstrating how those who have been forgiven much are to treat others who need forgiveness. He was showing that this principle of God's Kingdom isn’t a concept of arithmetic (as Peter had asked about from a Jewish perspective) but of attitude.

I think the king was incensed by the unmerciful servant’s actions because those actions showed an utter lack of gratitude and an underlying sense of entitlement. The servant had sought mercy and received far more abundantly than he could ever have expected. But then he demonstrated a hard-hearted lack of love and grace to a man who owed him a far lesser debt. He had already forgotten his former state and failed to follow the example of his King in showing compassion to one in great need.

In picturing the Kingdom of God, this parable could demonstrate the great mercy and unfathomable degree of forgiveness offered to transgressors through Christ. The huge debt with absolutely no way to pay could represent our sin-debt. We are so thrilled to receive pardon for that! The lesser debt could represent our relationship with others, as we are transgressed by their sins. Here we so often turn right around and withhold mercy and forgiveness from others. This demonstrates an unchanged heart that does not reflect the character of our Father.

• 7 months later...

The contrast of the huge debt verses the smaller one is God forgiveness is without limits and we should forgive much because God has forgiven much more than we can ever imagine. He sent His Son, Jesus to pay a huge debt for the world that nothing man does can repay it. I could be in either situation owing the large of smaller debt because I may not always know or realize when I need to forgive someone, or be forgiven myself by omission or commission. The one that might be owed me can also be either way.

The king was insulted by the unmerciful servant’s actions because he had shown both mercy and grace when the servant implored to him to be patient with him regarding repayment of his debt. The servant did not show the same regard for the person who owed him an even smaller debt, revealed his true character when he did not show the same mercy extended to him by the king.

• 1 year later...

God forgives us why can't we forgive others?  The King was insulted because he forgave a huge sum and had mercy.  The servant could not forgive a small sum and had no mercy.  We can never repay the debt of Jesus on the cross.

• 1 year later...

A.  In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one? To show the difference between the two: one is payable (smaller) and the other (larger) is owed and not payable.

B.  If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? The greater.

C. Which debt might be owed us? The smaller.

D. Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant's action? He (the King) showed pity, mercy, and forgiveness, while the wicked servant would not, although it had been shown to him.

• 4 years later...
On 9/16/2010 at 2:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Matthew 18:23-35) In the Parable of the Unmerciful Servant, what is the purpose of contrasting the huge debt with the small one?  If one was shown mercy in the forgiveness of a debt that would be impossible to repay, that same person should have been able to forgive the small debt owed to him by his servant. It's a lesson in realizing your good fortune, and sharing it with someone else in a similar circumstance.

If we were to put ourselves in the parable, which debt would we owe? Which debt might be owed us? I have a sizable credit card debt and it would be nice to have it be erased. I don't think anyone owes me any money so I guess my luck would be in slowly paying down my debt until a good job comes my way. 

Why was the king insulted by the unmerciful servant? The king was angry because he gave the administrator forgiveness in the payment of debt which was impossible to collect. The king was merciful and kind, in agreeing not to collect the monies owed him, which puts him in arrears. He was angry that this same servant refuse to acknowledge the gift he had jus been given, and instead went out and beat a servant for not paying back the debt owed him. The king realized that the gift of mercy was wasted on a wicked servant.