JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Lord's Prayer and Forgiveness

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) How could praying the Lord's Prayer become a curse upon a person?

It becomes a curse a curse upon a person when such person asks God to forgive him/her "as" he/she forgives others while at the same time he/she forgives others partially; thus he/she is implying that, God should forgive him/her partially also.

Is forgiving in order to be forgiven a kind of "righteousness by works"? Why or why not?

No. It is not a kind of "righteousness by works". It is just important to forgive in order to be free and get out of bondage of sin.

• 1 month later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) How could praying the Lord�s Prayer become a curse upon a person? Is forgiving in order to be forgiven a kind of �righteousness by works�? Why or why not?

1) Praying the Lord's Prayer could become a curse to a person if we ask God to forgive us as we forgive others and we do not forgive others completely, only a little and hold grudges. We are asking God to forgive us only a little and bear a grudge against us. Jesus teaches us to forgive as we forgive others.

2) Forgiving in order to be forgiven is not a kind of "righteousness by works". We must let go of our bondage to sin and hate if we want to receive something better.

• 1 year later...

Mercy, I know as His child I’m to be forgiving like the Father and that He will extend forgiveness to me in the same manner I extend it to others. But I’ve never thought of unforgiveness in terms of a curse. That’s very strong. And I accept it as accurate. We certainly are guilty of being careless with the words of this prayer. It’s actually an invitation we extend to the Father to evaluate our willingness to forgive against His and to release forgiveness to me accordingly. And I think of Deuteronomy 30:16-19, that when we obey the commandments of God we have chosen life, but when we will not listen and obey we have chosen cursing.

The purpose of forgiveness is always meant to be restoration and healing of relationships. Forgiving is not a “righteousness by works”. It is an expected development of Christ’s character in the believer. It is an evidence of the genuine saving faith that James discussed in chapter 2 of his letter/book – evidence that authenticates (justifies) one’s claim of salvation before others. It is not a work to gain salvation, but a work produced by salvation.

• 7 months later...

Because we pray, “forgive us of our debts/trespasses as we forgive those who do the same against us” not thinking about what we are praying while still holding on to unforgiveness or unwilling to forgive whomever … while we are saying the prayer. Forgiving to be forgiven is not “righteous by works”. It is necessary to be in right relationship with God and it frees us of an un-repentance heart. God freely forgives and we must be able to do the same to experience what he has for us.

• 1 year later...

Praying the Lord's Prayer asks the Father to forgive us of our sins as we forgive others.  Forgiving in order to be forgiven doesn't work on its own.  We must let go the  chains that hold us if we want something better.

• 1 year later...

A. If I am not right (heart) in forgiving others as I should be, It could very well be that when I pray the Lord's Prayer, that I "pray a curse of unforgiveness down on me."  If I ask God to forgive my debts as I forgive my debtors, and to forgive me as I forgive others could very well be dealing with unforgiveness.  I have to be right in my heart: not lip service, but heart work.

B. No.

C. If I am to be "free, I have to let go of unforgivenss" (lesson's example of how to catch a monkey).  "We don't earn heaven by repentance or by forgiving.  But we must let go of our bondage to sin and hate if we want to receive something better" (Lesson).

• 4 years later...

Q4. (Matthew 6:12, 14-15) How could praying the Lord's Prayer become a curse upon a person?  I don't know that it's necessarily a curse but rather an insincere attempt to earn the God's grace. I don't think Heavenly Father will punish us for repeating this prayer just because we are not solid in our relationships. If we are honest with ourselves, we should be able to be honest with God. You cannot force someone to forgive another, just like you can't force someone to love another. It is all within the confines of what our hearts will allow.

Jesus says love your enemies so if we do that, there's also the expectation that the enemies should also love us in return.  If they are enemies, it's because they did not love their neighbors-- stealing, cheating, slandering, raping, etc.  If the enemies do not show their neighbors the same love, why are we expected to love and forgive them? Doing so without repentance and accountability is license for the wicked to continue stealing, cheating, slandering and raping.

Because we are all children of God, and love Our Father, I am assured that His love will shine through me to others. I expect the Spirit of His love that dwells in me will shine upon those that He believes is deserving. I leave everything at the will of God Most High.

Is forgiving in order to be forgiven a kind of "righteousness by works"? Why or why not? I don't understand this concept.