JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as "narrow"?

I think Jesus characterises the entrance to the Kingdom as "narrow" to show that, only few people will enter the Kingdom of God.

Why will many people "try to enter and will not be able to"?

Many people will try to enter but will not be able to because of the "cost" involved in order to enter. Many people are not ready to trully repent and change; they are not ready to leave the earthly obedience and allegiance..

Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

People would delay entering until it is too late because they do not listen to the word of the Lord; they are deeply concerned with eathly matters.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Luke 13:24-27) Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as �narrow�? Why will many people �try to enter and will not be able to�? Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

1) Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom as narrow because it is difficult to get through and few will make it. In order to get through the narrow entrance, you must give up something to enter and put forth an effort. Many are not willing.

2) People will try to enter and not be able because they have not repented, did not live a life of obedience and did not strive to establish a relationship with God.

3) People delay entering until it is too late because they feel that they have plenty of time. They know that our God is a loving and forgiving God. Yes, He is a loving and forgiving God, but if you do not acknowledge Him among men, He will say "I know you not".

• 8 months later...

Why do you think Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom here as narrow?

I think this is done deliberately to show that not everyone will make it. Some will claim not to see it, some will say it is not wide enough to allow me to pass with all the stuff I'm trying to hold on to.

Why will many people try to enter and will not be able to?

This is because they have no relationship with God. In these cases they only choose to truly follow Him when it is too late.

Why would people delay entering until it is too late?

People want to 'enjoy' their life first. They want to party and indulge in behaviours which are contrary to the Word of God and as a result they will choose to delay their entrance into the Kingdom until the last possible moment.

• 5 months later...

People were created with a sense of the spiritual. Man has devised many beliefs in the search for the spiritual realm. I think maybe Jesus was challenging these multiple man-made approaches to God and defining the truth that there is only one entrance to the Kingdom. It is through Him alone. No one will be allowed "through the gate" who has not repented of sin and placed their complete faith in His redeeming atonement for our rebellion/transgression against God.

When it is time for “the banquet” to begin and the door to the Kingdom is closed, there will be much confusion for those who have been deceived into thinking they could gain entrance their own way. Many rely on that prevailing sense of some human ability to eventually “be good enough” or “do more good things than bad” or to “try harder”. Others count on the mistaken belief that all God cares about is a person’s consistent effort to live out whatever it is s/he believes and would surely allow entrance because of that. And some trust the flawed concept that we always have more time to decide.

The way to heaven is not wide enough for all these human deceptions. It is just wide enough for the truth.

• 7 months later...

Jesus characterizes the entrance to the Kingdom as narrow because not all will want to do what is necessary (repent and change mindset and/or lifestyle) to enter.  Once people come to the realization of Jesus and the Kingdom of God, yes they will try to enter and will not be able too.  People delay entering because they do not want to repent, they do not want to give up worldly things, and they figure they have plenty of time so they will do it later.  However, when the door closes, it is closed.

• 11 months later...

I think Jesus is saying the entrance to the Kingdom is narrow because there are requirements to enter the Kingdom.  Love, forgiveness, pardon and above all Love the Lord your God.  Some people will not enter because they can not fulfill the requirement.  Delaying until it is too late is like a death bed confession.  Worldly pleasures entice them more than eternal life with Our Father.

• 1 year later...

A. I wonder that Christ says it is "narrow" that one might understand that although it/way is narrow, that we are "to strive to enter in for it won't be easy."

B. Many may try to enter in without repentance; with self-righteousness; and with their trust in riches.  The cost will be too great for them; therefore, they will find the door too "narrow."

C. The door will also be too "narrow" for many may try to enter in on their own schedule, but may find the door not only too "narrow," but closed.  I must strive to enter in now!