JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. The Provision of Manna

Q3. (Exodus 16) Why did God provide manna for the people? Why did the manna finally cease? Why do you think that the people gradually began to take the manna for granted? What provision of God are you taking for granted?

1,Because god delieverd them from pharoah where they were slaves and brought them in the desert to feed them manna and water to show them his power and glory.

2.They ate the manna until they got to the border of canaan after the passover then it stop.

3,god provided for his people if they apprecieted or not but they were taking more then they needed god said take what you need today tommarrow ther will be more for you

4,god made provision for us to heaven thru his son sometimes we take it for granted for give me lord i repent in the name of jesus christ amen.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Exodus 16) Why did God provide manna for the people? Why did the manna finally cease? Why do you think that the people gradually began to take the manna for granted? What provision of God are you taking for granted?

He provided manna out of His total and complete mercy. They were without food and forgot the miseries of the past in Egypt and remember only the food (what little there might have been of it). So he out of His abundant goodness provided manna for them.

It ceased when the need for it was no longer there. At least of that type of manna. For we need always to feast on the "food" that Christ provides.

What don't we in our natural state take for granted. It is deep in our sin nature to be ungrateful.

What do I not find myself taking for granted and then must repent of my sin and gives thanks to the one who provides for us.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 5 months later...

3a)God cares knew they would become hungry, heard their cries and he proved he would provide for them, by responding mercifully with provision of manna every other day except the 7th for 40years with no labour other than to gather it in,until they entered the promised land.

b)It ceased because they no longer needed it,” came to a land that was settled”.

c)They took it for granted because it came without labour, and saw it with human eyes not spiritual eyes seeing God at work.They mistakenly thought they could rely on themselves.They forgot to thank God and how he had provided for them in the pastwhen they depended on God more.

d)Everything I have comes from the Lord,having been through difficult times, reminded constantly of what I have to be thankful for-health,home,family,and most importantly his constant love for me,whatever I do.

• 2 months later...

Why did God provide manna for the people? TO SHOW THEM HE COULD AND WOULD TAKE CARE OF THEM. SINCE THERE WAS NO FOOD IN THE DESERT, GOD DEMONSTRATED THAT ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH HIM; EVEN FOOD IN THE DESERT.

Why did the manna finally cease? GOD HAD GOTTEN THEM TO A PLACE WHERE THERE WAS FOOD; THEY NO LONGER NEEDED TO BE FED BY GOD; HE EXPECTED THEM TO PARTAKE OF THE BLESSINGS HE HAD PROVIDED.

Why do you think that the people gradually began to take the manna for granted? FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT.

What provision of God are you taking for granted? I DON'T KNOW BUT I PRAY DAILY THAT HE WILL SHOW ME.

• 1 year later...

We see in Exodus 16 that God provided manna from heaven for the people to eat when the food they brought from Egypt ran out.  When the Israelites arrived in an area where they could live off the land the manna ceased to be provided by God. 

Human-beings by nature take things for granted.  At some point they probably felt entitled.  It doesn't take long after providing for people in need that they begin to take it for granted.  Even become dependent upon it.  I was in a bread ministry for years and watched as people began to take ownership over bread that wasn't theirs.  They became demanding that they get "their" weekly bread and the kind they like.  Many would become very ugly when their "needs" were not met.  It amazed me how demanding people could be when being provided a blessing that they had no entitlement to.

I probably take God to often for granted and must appreciate and love him more.

• 10 months later...

God provided what they needed as He always does. Out of fear the people grumbled about starving but God always provides. The manna ceased when they ate from the produce while camped at the border of Cannan. They took the manna for granted because they figured God was providing this everyday as a continuous solution. I suppose there are any number of things I take for granted and just expect them to be the same day after day. It is an awakening when that changes and my course is changed. 

• 2 years later...

lesson 4, Q3.

1. God provide manna for the Israelites for the following reasons; 1. So that the children os Israel can walk in Gods commands ( exodus 16:4 ) 2. That Israelites may observe Sabbath to serve Yahweh.

2. The manna ceased immediately the Israelites stopped depending on God for Supplies. This happens when they get to Canaan borders and the chose to eat the Canaanites meals.

3. The Israelites took the supplies for granted because they don't labor for it.

4. Gods Mercy and Love.

• 5 years later...

Q3. (Exodus 16)

Why did God provide manna for the people?

Why did the manna finally cease?

Why do you think that the people gradually began to take the manna for granted?

What provision of God are you taking for granted?

God had promised to take care of the Children of Israel, when He led them out of Egypt.  Manna had all the nourishment that was needed by the body.  The fact that it 'rained down from heaven', on a daily basis except on the Sabbath day, (the day before allowing everyone to collect a double portion ),  just shows that God was the provider.   

Only when they were camped in Gilgal and ate of the produce of the land ,  did the provision of manna cease.  

I personally think that the ones who grumbled, were the ones who would have grumbled about anything. Nothing would have satisfied them for a long time anyway. Whatever they would have been given, they would have complained about.  

May I never stop to be thankful for God's provision.  

• 1 year later...

God only provided for his people when they were unable to meet their own needs. Why he used manna and not some "real" food ... I don't know. Manna was clearly supernatural, unlike other food, suddenly appearing when they were hungry. A diet of meat and bread does sustain human life -- that's pretty much what my oldest son eats (he's supposedly grown up now and is making his own food choices!) He is very athletic and healthy.

The fact that God's provision of manna began when they were hungry and ended when they were able to provide for themselves gives us a clue as to what God expects from us. God takes over when we can't do it ourselves, expecting us to do what we can; if that's enough, He doesn't step in. 

When people are given something unearned, they weaken. They lose the ability to figure out ways to achieve what they need -- they grow increasingly dependent on the gift-giver. This is the problem with government social services. I firmly believe that churchgoers should never depend on the government but instead turn to their own families and the church. If we were more generous toward others, no one would have to be reduced and weakened by the nanny state. Tragically, the West has created a culture of dependency and with it, weakness. 

Similarly, the Israelites grew dependent, lazy and weak because of God's unearned provision. They didn't have to work for manna other than picking it off the ground -- manna was like welfare checks from heaven. When the heavenly spigot was turned off, they had to re-learn a work ethic and the ingenuity that solves problems, in this case, hunger. What a huge cultural shift that must have been!

I take far too many things for granted for which I should be thanking God. My life, though not easy, has had times of extreme wealth and poverty. I thank God for getting me through both!