JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Royal Priests

Q2. (Exodus 19:6; 1 Peter 2:9)

What did priests do in the Old Testament?

In what sense are you a priest?

How do you function as a priest?

In what sense are you a "royal" priest?

In what areas can your personal priestly function improve?

The Priests were the ones who were set apart for God's service.  They were acting as God's representative to His people, and then also, one can say as go-between the people and God.  

I am God's possession  and should be available to act upon His leading to the person or persons He sends me to.  

Because I am working for the King of kings and above all have been adopted into His family, I am called as a 'royal' priest.

To pray and intercede more for the people God lays on my heart.  

Edited by Irmela
adding something

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did priests do in the Old Testament? In what sense are you a priest? How do you function as a priest? In what sense are you a "royal" priest? In what areas can your personal priestly function improve?

Pastor Ralph mentioned that the caste of priests hadn't yet been instituted at the time of Moses, so the verse can't refer to priests in the OT sense of the word, although it could futuristically or prophetically refer to this caste. In time, priests would mediate between the Jewish people and God.

I believe this verse alludes to Luther's priesthood of all believers. Luther's radical idea of the priesthood of all believers was faith-upending at that time. In essence, Luther put all Christians on the same level, destroying the gap between lay and priests. Just by being a Christian, we all function as priests, he said. I believe this is true.

We are royal only in the sense that we are grafted into His family thus, like little princelings or princesslings -- sons and daughters -- we are His.

Christians function as priests in our everyday faith as expressed in both word and deed, belief and behavior. There is nothing special about Christian priests/pastors that sets them above the laity which means behavior and faith alone commends us to God. No mediator is needed. No in-between advisor or priest. The radical idea of Luther is that we approach God alone, unmediated and unmerited, and only by His grace can we be accepted.