JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 5, Q3;

A. Israel is a holy nation because they are group of people set apart by Yahweh to worship him.

B. To be holy means to be devoted, be consecrated, sacred and exclusively belonging to God.

C. Personal holiness is not been emphasize today because the preachers (priests) of our time covet the world.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Exodus 19:6; 1 Peter 2:9)

In what sense is Israel a "holy" nation?

What does it mean to be holy?

Why do you think that personal holiness is de-emphasized in our time?

Those who are holy have been set apart from the common or ordinary to be sacred, devoted to, belonging exclusively to, the holy God. Because they are holy, they are not to contaminate themselves with worship of other gods or practices that are forbidden by God.

The above description is word for word as per the notes and it answers the first two questions. 

As soon as someone is different to the norm, not willing to break out and do, then it is taken that the person is a spoiler of sport.  This way to stand out and be different is not encouraged or not the in thing.  The norm these days is certainly not living a set apart life.  

• 1 year later...

In what sense is Israel a “holy” nation? What does it mean to be holy? Why do you think that personal holiness is de-emphasized in our time?

I was praying for understanding about this this morning, the idea that there are two realms, the holy/heavenly and profane/earthly, and that somehow I live in one/profane but have access to the other/holy. There seems to be another reality superimposed -- at a distance -- on this one, that is, a heavenly realm as well as an earthly one with "little connectors" between the two. Prayer taps into those connectors.

So when we say Israel is a holy nation, we're saying that Israel's existence or fate goes beyond the earthly realm and connects to the heavenly realm where Israel's holiness has been predetermined. Since all creation is determined by God, I'm not sure why Israel is different -- God created everything and had a plan and purpose for the wee feathers that fall off a sparrow, so in that context, why is Israel any different than the rest of creation?

It is simply the case that Israelis are not different than the rest of us -- they're quite sinful, not moral paragons. So we have to admit that the people of Israel are not holy, or even more holy, than the non-Jewish nations that surround them. The bible clearly describes the repeated rise and fall, faith then apostasy, of the Jewish people. So there's nothing objectively "better" about the Jewish people that sets them apart from non-Jews, including Christians.

It must be the case, then, that the only reason Israel is holy is that God declared it to be so, and it's holiness exists in the heavenly realm, not on earth. I'm not sure what it means TO ME that Israel is holy except that I have to suspend reason and judgment to believe this is the case.

----

Personal holiness is deemphasized only among some groups or divisions of Christianity, and emphasized in other groups. Personally, I find the idea of striving for holiness or sanctification by the Spirit incredibly important ... even though I'm failing at it.