JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faithful Witnesses

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

Testimony and witness is extremely important to the purpose of encouraging and strengthening the Church, as through these avenues others are uplifted and motivated in Christ, each time a testimony is heard or a witness done, then it makes God appear 'more' real, and present. He is real, but someone just hearing something that he has done for someone will pull you to him, it brings to light the fact that he will never leave you or forsake you, and that he will never give you more than you can bear, it also shows us that once we believe in him and cast our cares on him , he will deliver. These avenues tells us that JESUS is there in the midst of the storms, it reminds us that the Holy Spirit is here to comfort us.

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us?

Jesus is perfect, and we should strive for perfection, he has come in the flesh, died for our sins, was raised and is now interceding on our behalf.

Jesus, unlike us , did not succumb to the temptations that faced him, he overcame them all, but he encourages us by being so forgiving and understanding and allowing us to rely and depend on him for guidance and strength. He has left for us a legacy and guidelines to live by, which corrects us and encourages by letting us know the promises that has been made, and how to deal with certain situations and also that Jesus is with is always, even in the deepest depths.

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

I think we are afraid because we have not been studying the word and as such we are not fully equipt to deal with the questions that might be thrown out to us, in other words , we are afraid to be "backed up" , the other thing is that we are afraid to be seen in public working for the Lord, but we should remember that if we are ashamed of him then he will not be pleased. We need to keep in mind that it's not about us, it never is, we are nothing, It's all about God.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I THINK THAT THE THEME OF TESTIMONY AND WITNESS IS IMPORTANT BECAUSE IT HELPS US TO ENDURE HARDSHIP AND PERSECUTION IN THESE LAST DAYS. I KNOW OF A TESTIMONY OF SOMEONE WHO WAS A DYING MOSLEM WHEN SHE WAS INTRODUCED TO JESUS CHRIST . AFTER COMMITTING HER LIFE TO HIM SHE WAS MIRACULOUSLY HEALED, DELIVERED AND SET FREE FROM THE BONDAGE SHE WAS IN.SHE LOVES WITNESSING FOR THE LORD.SO I DO BELIEVE HEARING OF OTHERS TESTIMONIES ARE SO ENCOURAGING AND UPLIFTING TO ME AND THE CHURCH AS A WHOLE.

JESUS , THE FAITHFUL WITNESS ENCOURAGES US IN MANY WAYS; THROUGH HIS SPIRIT RESIDING IN US,; HE INTERCEDES FOR US, HE USES PEOPLE TO SEND ENCOURAGEMENT TO US AND GIVE US HOPE, AND WE HAVE HIS PRECIOUS WORD TO COMFORT US IN TIMES OF ADVERSITIES.

I KNOW SOMETIMES I'M AFRAID TO WITNESS IF I'M INTIMIDATED BY THE WAY SOMEONE LOOKS. SOMETIMES I'M AFRAID OF BEING REJECTED OR OFFENDED SO I MAY KEEP QUIET. SO I GUESS IT HAS TO DO WITH FEAR OF REJECTION OR BEING HURT. LATELY, HOWEVER THE LORD HAS BEEN GIVING ME BOLDNESS TO BE ABLE TO TELL OTHERS OF HIS SAVING GRACE....GOD BLESS....

Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

The theme of testimony and witness is so important to that purpose because the testimony of other believers and their witness encourages the church and helps strengthen it.

• 2 months later...

In the midst of persecution, normal human nature could emerge, causing one to lose sight of what is valuable. As you see people being tortured and killed around you, fear can set in. Further, I dare say, that by 95 AD many followers had never actually set eyes on Jesus Himself, operating under the witnesses of the Apostles and Paul, particularly - Apostle to the Gentiles.

Therefore, one whom they trusted, the Apostle John, providing visual testimony of what was, and is, and is to come, would restore, revitalize and encourage a person's faith, knowing that none of this was in vain.

Jesus, a faithful witness: We know of Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf, His resurrection, and His present existence. His message is encouraging because of our faith in Him and what He has done. We know what He went through and His promises. We know the change in our lives because of Him. We know that He is still at work in our lives and in the world. His Word is true, which we can see through the Word and the course of human events.

Frankly, I don't know why we should be afraid to witness, especially when we are not under severe persecution. In our present age, we have sadly become complacent, treating our relationship with other believers as a social club. We have an "us - them" mentality. We don't fully appreciate the fact that without the Grace of God and someone who was not afraid to witness, we would be "them." We would be separated from a relationship with God. We don't value 2 Peter 3:9, that God does not desire that any should perish but come to repentance. We, likewise, forget Paul's admonishment in Romans 12:2, to "be not conformed to this world." We live lives not unlike those in society - thus compromising our testimony.

Knowing what is to come should stimulate us to share the Gospel and disciple as many as God gives us.

• 1 month later...

REVELATION

OF SAINT JOHN THE DIVINE BY JESUS CHRIST

Chapter 1

"Introduction."

Many churches stay clear of the Book of Revelation, on a verse by verse study, because they teach; "Your going to be gone anyway at that time". They also say; "It's not to be understood yet".

This is odd because the very word "Revelation" means to "to reveal" or "unveil" something. When you unveil anything, you make it known.

The book of Revelation is a sister book to the book of Daniel in the Old Testament. Both of these books were written to the people who live in the final generation, of the "latter days". Daniel was told to, "shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end:" [Daniel 12:4]. He was told by God; "Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand: but the wise shall understand." [Daniel 12:10]

The wise are those who study God's word, line upon line, chapter upon chapter, and all these words are wisdom from God. This is why the wise should understand. As we study Revelation, let us take a fresh look at the book, and allow God's Word to speak through us. Let's permit the Holy Spirit to allow His words to speak to our hearts which is our minds with understanding. This chapter covers a time period that most people living on the face of the earth today will live through, and the wise Christian should understand these teachings.

So, be very cautious of any group that would tell you not to study, or to throw away part of God's word. Those are words Satan would use.

Revelation 1:1 "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and He sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:"

This is not the Revelation of John, but a Revelation of Jesus Christ. "Jesus" means "God's Savior", and "Christ" means the "Anointed One [Messiah]". Jesus the Christ is the person that this Revelation is by. Jesus showed the Revelation to John, and told Jesus told John to write it down. This Revelation is directed to, and revealed to God's servant's, and those servants are living in every corner of the earth in the "time of the end".

Jesus told John to write this so that you and I, living and witnessing events in these latter days, will have the wisdom to understand everything that happens is all part of God's plan, and to see where each of us fit into that plan.

The word "shortly" is explained in verse ten, and we can better understand it when we study it there.

This verse then, tells us it was Jesus Christ that is the Revelator; while John did the writing. The purpose here is to show Christians of our generation the things that will occur at the end of this earth age. It was sent, and signified, or guaranteed by Jesus Christ Himself. The willingness of a person to search for the wisdom of Revelation separates the man of God, from the puff of smoke found in many churches today. When the Antichrist does appear as the savior of the world, the lazy Christian will follow him, thinking that the Antichrist is Jesus Christ.

Revelation 1:2 "Who bare record [witness] of the word of God, and of the testimony of Jesus Christ, and of all things that he saw."

John bore witness of this record given by Jesus, God's anointed Messiah. The record of Revelation reveals more then John had seen, but in the Greek, it mean "to both see and to hear with understanding". Now let's let the Word speak for Himself.

Revelation 1:3 "Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand."

"Blessed" means "happy", and you will be very happy when you read, and come to understand the full knowledge of all of the events coming to pass in these end times. It gives us security, and peace of mind to know exactly what will take place, and how God will use us, and protect His elect. This is Jesus Christ's own words, or commitment to you and I, as we live in this godless one world system, that is tightening it's grip on the nations of the world today.

Read God's Word with understanding, for it is what Jesus is telling us, then do those things that He has put into writing in His Word, the Bible.

Revelation 1:4 "John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be to you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come; and from the seven Spirits which are before His throne"

This "grace", or "unmerited favor", is extended to all the churches, and comes from Jesus Christ. "He is" today, and He lives as our Savior, "He was" when he walked the earth in the flesh, and died on the cross of Calvary; "He is yet to come"; when He shall return at the sound of the seventh trumpet, which is the Second Advent.

The "seven Spirits" also refer to Jesus Christ. For "Seven" shows completeness, and Christ is all the spirits of the Throne joined into one.

The "seven churches" of Asia are formed into a circle geographically, and these churches are symbolizing of all the churches around the globe today. They are symbolic of all the forms of church doctrine represented in the Christian world today. God is not the God of the Middle East, but of the universe; of all the world.

Revelation 1:5 "And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed [loosed] us from our sins in his own blood,"

We see here other titles of Jesus Christ, so it cannot be misunderstood who it is revealing this to us, and sending His blessing to us. His title, "Prince of the kings of the earth", is in reference to Christ being the "Prince of the King's of the Gentile nations", recorded in chapter 21; and "King of Kings" in Revelation 19:16. Race has nothing to do with this, for it is dealing with the "elect" of God, and the overcomers of this earth age.

The word "washed" is better translated, "freed"; for Jesus Christ freed us from our sins. There can be no mistake in identifying Jesus Christ by this description. When Jesus Christ shed His blood, He became "the first begotten of the dead." He defeated death and the devil. That was Jesus Christ's sole mission for coming to earth; being born of a woman; living in the flesh body; and then dying on the cross and shedding His blood. Our Lord Jesus Christ conquered death, and Satan the devil, [Hebrews 2:14]. Satan's name is Death.

Hebrews 2:14 "Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, He also Himself likewise took part of the same; that through death He might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil."

Revelation 1:6 " And hath made us kings and priests unto God and His Father; to Him be glory, and dominion for ever and ever. A-men."

The "priests" are the "elect", while the "kings" are the "ethnos", the saved Gentile people of this earth age. They are not the chosen, but the "overcomers". They read and heard God's word, then they believed and repented, and "overcame" the devil in this earth age.

Jesus Christ is the King for ever and ever, and all the glory is His. The sooner we understand this fully, the easier Revelation will be to understand.

Revelation 1:7 "Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of [mourn over] Him. Even so, A-men."

This event is the second advent taking place here, when Jesus Christ will return "with clouds", or "with the masses" of His saints. This is not, and has nothing to do with flying away, as many Christian churches teach today.

"They that pierced Him," is referring to all the "Kenites" those Jewish religious leaders, the ones that killed Jesus by delivering Him up to Pilot. Every person on this earth will see Jesus Christ upon His second coming. Some will "wail" in joy, for they kept His Word, and did not yield to Satan, the Antichrist. However, most will "wail" in sorrow and shame for they were taken by the wrong Christ in the wrong marriage. They followed after the Antichrist who came first and appeared as they were taught through their churches traditions, called the "rapture doctrine".

Whether you stand or fall in this final generation, it will be according to whether you had prepared yourself to stand against Satan in this final generation. If you have, you will stand; and if you did not, then you will be deceived by Antichrist.

When Satan arrives, you will not resist him by accident, nor can you prepare in that late hour. The understanding of this Revelation of Jesus Christ must occur before the sounding of that fifth trumpet of Revelation 9:1.

It is stated in this book of Revelation that the Antichrist shall come before the second advent, which is at the sounding of the seventh trumpet.

Revelation 1:8 "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.:

Jesus Christ is everything, in all ages [earth ages] to all sons [no gender applied here] of the living God.

Revelation 1:9 "I John, who also am your brother, and companion in tribulation, and in the Kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was in the isle that is called Pat'-mos, for the word of God, and for the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Most teachers of the Bible believe that John was exiled to the isle of Pat'-mos, for his faith in Jesus Christ. "Pat'-mos" is an island called "Patino" in the Aegean Sea.

The word "was", in the Greek manuscripts is "came to be". The word "for" as used in the Greek is used in the "Accusative", and it has the sense of "on account of", or "because of". This would leave nothing to indicate that John had been banished there to the isle of Pat'-mos.

"...companion [partaker] in tribulation, and in the Kingdom..."; should read, "...in the tribulation, and in this Kingdom." John was there and partook in "the tribulation" that our generation is about to witness also. He was taken to our generation in the spirit, and those things and events that he saw, he wrote about. John also visited in the spirit, "the Kingdom" of God in the Heavens; both in this age and the next to come. The next earth age to come is the "kingdom of Jesus Christ", which is established at the sounding of the seventh trumpet. It is called the "Millennium kingdom" and continues for the next thousand years. Then after the Christ's Millennium kingdom, God's Kingdom goes on eternally here on earth, following the "Judgment seat of God [The Great White Throne].

All of these events are going to be revealed within this study of the book of Revelation, and when you read and study this book with understanding you will not be deceived when they take place before your eyes. There are many negative things that are going on right today, and they must happen, just as Jesus death on the cross happened, because they are all part of the glorious plan of God.

Revelation 1:10 "I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,"

This verse is the key to understanding the book of Revelation. Without a clear and full understanding of it, the entire book just will not make sense. The sequence of order will seem strange.

"I"; this is John speaking and telling us where he was. "I was in the Spirit", not in his flesh body; "on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet". John is taken forward in time, "in the Spirit", to the day of the Lord. The "Day of the Lord" is not referring to Sunday or Saturday. This is the same "Day of the Lord" Paul speaks about in I Thessalonians 5:2, as "coming as a thief in the night". Later in II Thessalonians 2:2-3 Paul makes it clear that at the "Day of the Lord" Christ's return will not happen until "after there will be a great falling away first; and "that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition". Satan must be revealed in his role as the Antichrist first, before that seventh trumpet can sound, the last trumpet.

The time, or day, John was taken to was beyond our time frame, however we are living in the generation that will see it come to pass, and live through what John saw and lived, while in the Spirit. There is only one day that is called "The Day of the Lord" in all the Scriptures.

Isaiah 2:12 "For the day of the Lord of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low."

This is the day that our Lord returns. This is the day "God's cup of wrath" is poured out upon His enemies. So John was taken in the Spirit to the last day of this earth age, before the start of the age of the Millennium. If you are still in your flesh body, that day hasn't happened yet, and it is still future to us.

Every verse that you read in Revelation from this verse to the end of chapter twenty two, will be viewed from the Lord's day, either looking backwards or forwards a short period of time. If you don't come to that point of time in your understanding with John, the rest of what he is saying just will not make sense.

Revelation 1:11 "Saying, I am the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last: and, What thou seest, write in a book, and send it unto the seven churches which are in Asia; unto Ephesis, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos, and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto Laodicea."

This is Jesus talking to John, and asking him to look around on this Lord's day, and write what you see, and then send it to the seven churches of Asia. These seven churches represent all of the types of churches that exist on the earth in these last days.

Which of these churches represent your church? Can you identify the type of church by the teaching in that church. Jesus said, I want you, John, to show each of those churches exactly what is going to happen at the end of this earth age, and what I think of each of them. The next two chapters will give us the details of the doctrine of each of these churches.

Revelation 1:12 "And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;"

Wow, that sounds deep. Well, let's break it down so we can understand what it is saying.

We use objects all the time to teach our children lessons. That is all that is happening here. These candlesticks are symbolic of something.

Revelation 1:13 "And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.

The one standing or the focus of attention in these seven candlesticks looked like the "Son of man" [Christ], because it was Jesus Christ.

Revelation 1:14 "His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire."

Why was Christ's eyes "as a flame of fire"? Because of God's magnificent splendor and glory that is shown through His eyes. So we see Christ is standing among the seven candlesticks; However, the candlesticks stand for something else.

Revelation 1:15 "And his feet like unto fine [burnished] brass, as if they burned [as if it had been refined] in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters."

"Waters" in the Greek text are peoples. When Christ talked, it gave the sound of many people speaking. [see Revelation 17:15 for documentation.]

Revelation 1:16 "And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength."

The "stars" are symbolic of angels, they are guiding angels for John, as he makes his trip into his future; all the way to the "day of the Lord". The "seven" represents completeness, and there is one angel for each of the churches.

The "two-edged sword" is what Jesus will return with, as He returns as a man of war at the seventh trumpet. "I come not to bring peace, but a sword;" Jesus said in Matthew 10:34. Those that are against Christ shall be cut deep, but they shall heal if they repent. We will all be in the spiritual body, on the Lords day, when He has returned to earth here. For as we saw in ; "Behold, I show you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed." To "sleep" is better translated "die". While our changing is to be into our spiritual bodies, from the physical bodies of the flesh we are now in.

Then in , "In a moment, in the twinkling [wink] of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible [never decaying], and we shall be changed." This change to our spiritual body is for every living soul living in a flesh body. It shall take place on the very day that John is brought forward to, on this "day of the Lord".

This is why the Sword is given with words from Christ and not with physical armor. Christ's sword will make all things right, and the glory around our Lord will cause all to bow and praise His holy name.

Revelation 1:17 "And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:"

The Lord Jesus Christ put His hand upon John, and He comforted John as Jesus reminded him who He was. Just as when Jesus walked and talked with the disciples as a man. John had peace within his soul being with our Lord again.

Revelation 1:18 "I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore,

A'-men; and have the keys of hell and of death [death and Hades]."

They, the "Kenites", crucify Christ, and it was for our redemption, and within God's plan that it happened exactly as it was prophesied. The price was paid once only, and that is sufficient for all sinners that will believe and repent. When Christ arose from the dead, He then, and now lives forevermore.

The "keys of hell and of death", means you have the authority, and ability to control what ever is on the other side of the locked door of this physical life. It means that what you do with those keys is entirely up to you. Jesus Christ holds the keys which will allow you to escape out of hell, and the death of your soul. That is why our prayers offered to the Father are given "in Jesus Name", for "Jesus Name" identifies you as under the shed blood of Jesus Christ. It is your credentials before the throne of God.

Revelation 1:19 "Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;"

Jesus told John to write down the things that he has seen; about those candlesticks, and the stars; "and that I have shown you Myself with the sword", now write it all down. John is to record the things Jesus is going to show, both before, and after "the day of the Lord". [remember from back in verse 1:10, that is where John is.] We will even be on that day physically very shortly.

Revelation 1:20 "The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches."

How simple could it be; Jesus has explained that the "seven stars" are "the seven angels of the seven churches"; While the "candlestick are the seven churches". A candlestick holds a candle giving off light. The church is on a mission to hold up the light of God's Word. The "right hand" is the hand of power and might and it shows where the work is done.

So, the vision John saw taking place on the "day of the Lord"; is Jesus Christ standing in the middle of this circle of seven churches, not candlesticks, for the candlesticks are symbols for the churches. There was an angel of God standing over each church. In Christ's mouth is the sword within those churches, and the sword is the words of authority that Jesus has over Satan, and all the ungodly. While that sword is in His hands of a Christian, we hold the keys over death and hell.

Why make this chapter so hard? It's a writing that as we continue our study, will reveal the future that you and I, and most all people now living in our generation will witness in person, and in our flesh bodies. This chapter is very comforting to each of us, as we read and study it with understanding.

The Shepherds Chapel

• 1 month later...

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

a. In times of trouble it is important to have the support of others who are willing to back us up.

b. Jesus as the "faithfull witness" encourages us by His life. We know that Jesus is Lord and we should all try to be like Him.

c. In a predominately secular society (I'm in the UK) I think we are embarrassed and feel awkward to witness to our peers. I feel it is important to ask in prayer to be filled with the Holy Spirit and this will give us strength to be clear witnesses.

• 2 weeks later...

a. In times of trouble it is important to have the support of others who are willing to back us up.

b. Jesus as the "faithfull witness" encourages us by His life. We know that Jesus is Lord and we should all try to be like Him.

c. In a predominately secular society (I'm in the UK) I think we are embarrassed and feel awkward to witness to our peers. I feel it is important to ask in prayer to be filled with the Holy Spirit and this will give us strength to be clear witnesses.

Q1 Persecution can be mental and emotional as well as physical. Through daily walking with the Lord

and our testimony and witness of Him, we can develop strength and courage to become overcomers of

the persecutions of this world. Think of Peter when faced with the fear of admitting he was a follower of

Jesus...he was afraid of the persecution..and he couldn't witness for Jesus...then shortly he was able to

overcome his fear and face persecution and death for his Lord... Jesus is our example. He overcame the

world and we look to Him for guidance and strength.

• 1 month later...

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

The words Testimony and Witness are important to Revelations because Jesus is both, he is a witness and he has a testimony. Jesus was persecuted for his testimony and he is a witness to that testimony.

How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us?

Jesus came to show us the way, the truth, and the light. He showed us that following the father's will can be done and has been done. He walked this earth as a man to show us the way. He was persecuted for showing us the way. His word stands. It is the one true truth in this world of sin.

Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

We are afraid to be clear witnesses in my opinion because of persecution. Not the type of persecution that Jesus went through, but a denial. In the news a Muslim Man denounced his Islamic faith and became a Christian, the muslim nation wanted to persecute him, they imprisioned him and wanted to execute him. He was released and has now taken asylum in Italy. He was not afraid of persecution. Not many of us could say we would have stood so tall for our beliefs. Most of us would just go with the flow just not to be different or treated differently. Some of us are Christians on Sunday and on Monday we belong to the world. We are persecuted for our beliefs in ways that are different from how Jesus was persecuted. But Jesus played a very important role, he came to show man that the father's will could be done, he also came to show us the way and the truth and to give us grace, last and most importantly he died to save us from our sins. Most of us don't believe we are responsible for saving a whole nation of people we are only responsible for saving ourselves so our persecutions are limited to just that.

• 2 months later...

The theme of testimony and witness is important to the theme of strengthening the persecuted, because witnessing that disagrees with the cultural norms of our society or with its powerful often has negative consequences. Jesus was executed for that and went on to glory with the Father. This is encouraging: we, too, can witness to the truth we have experienced and know that earthly consequences are not the last word! In this country (USA) negative consequences for "rocking the boat" may be less than physical death, but still exist.

• 2 months later...

Testimony and witness bring new believers to Christ and make the body of the church stronger. Jesus gave his life for us so that we could be free of sin if we only believe in him and ask him to take control of our lives. We are aftaid to witness because of what people will say or think about us. We are afraid of rejection.

Why are we afraid to give testimony? Jesus died the most horrible death imaginable on the cross for our sins. I think we are afraid because of the persecution we will receive as believers. The name Jesus is not EVEN allowed in schools and many other public places. The world is in such a bad way right now, with all this mess of wars going on. But I am a Believer and I am a Christian and very proud of it

• 4 months later...

matt:24-9 says that in the last days all christians will be persecuted, we might not see it in our time but it will come.we can draw strength from the persecution our lord Jesus went through on the cross for each of us. he went like a lamb to the slaughter.he knows what we are going through and will walk ever step of the way with us,

im weak and timid when it comes to witness. but try to live my life in a manner that will glorify God. that his light might shine through me.you would be amazed at the number of people that are watching you. and sooner or later they are going to give you a chance to witness to them. because they want to know what you have

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution. Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose? How is Jesus as the "faithful witness" (1:5) supposed to encourage us? Why are we afraid to be clear witnesses in a culture where we aren't persecuted?

Revelation calls us be an example of Jesus who was the faithful witness being true to his word he came, died, and was raised from dead. He is there in the beginning and has been there ever since and before we were created. He came to earth because of his love for us and is the only one who always will for death couldn't hold him praise God. His example has lead me in my latter life to be his living testimony for I have been through the refiners fire and know that even in all circumstances, persected or nonpersecuated I will be his witness. Many are fearful of being different for fears of isolation, ridicule, and many other earthly things. We are not citizens of this earth only of Heaven so I know for me I must forget about the earthly things and follow Christ's witness. Testemony is important to encourage others in the church who are being persecuted. Charlene

• 1 month later...

I suggest you read the article at Ron Parsley's for Moral Clarity at Ron Parsley@formoralclarity.net. The article to refer to is "Protect Christian's Right to Petition the Governament"

• 2 weeks later...

The testimony and witness is so important because the truth is being revealed for the Christian's understanding; encouragement; and instruction regarding persecution now and until Jesus Christ returns for His church. Jesus is the faithful witness because everything that Jesus taught us is faithful and true and we can put our trust in Him. Christians are embarrassed by Jesus Christ because it isn't "cool" or conventional to share the gospel of Jesus Christ in today's culture.

• 4 weeks later...

Every time we stand and speak forth the things we are passionate about, the things we believe, we become even more passionate and steadfast in our beliefs. We become a little bolder each time. We are also required to tell the good news of Jesus Christ and His redemptive power and Healing power! If we can't do this then perhaps we are unsure or even ashamed of Christ.

Jesus preached the Word, healed the sick, cast out demons, performed miracle after miracle, raised the dead. He knew it would cost Him His life. The Word says that we overcome by the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony and they loved not their lives unto death. If you are truly passionate and sold out to Christ - then we know that we will pass from this life into the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ!

The problem I think is that we think to highly of ourselves. We need to be sold out 100%! We are too concerned with what people think of us and what effect it will have on our lives professionally. Commitment is a hard thing to get out of people these days. Even the Church lacks committment.

Hi I am Elizabeth and I am glad that we could share our opinions on certain topics.

In response to the question, I believe that if we as christians hear the testimony of one who would have gone through and still remained faithful then we would be encouraged to keep holding on and not give up despite whatever we are going through. We would come to realise that there is light at the end of the tunnel and we would be strenghtened in the inner man. Also not give in to the enemy's tricks and tatics.

Being faithful Jesus showed us that we can look at his life and what he would have gone through, the hardships he faced and still not sinning, he emerged victorious and remained faithful.

We ar afraid to be clear witnesses because we think that we would be ridiculed by others . People would reap back up our pass and wolud make us seem as if we are not who we say we are.

I'm Fran and I believe that we are approaching the last days and that Christians are being persecuted more now than ever before in history, to an extent. I think that as the persecution intensifies, we will need a guide to help us through what is coming. Revelation offers the encouraging words of hope and love we will need to hear. I believe that every Christian household needs to have a Bible somewhere that they can hide so they will have the word of God handy. I also think that more trials=more encouragement.

Jesus knows and understands what we are going through and will go through. He has already sat in on the planning sessions of the "last days" so He knows what is coming our way. He experienced the utmost persecution and pain on the cross and in the events leading up to the cross. If He could endure this, and come out victorious, then we can also. He held onto His father's love and we need to hold onto it too.

Fear is a very strong emotion. When we fear what others say about us, or will do to us, we will become too paralyzed to act. We in turn, create our own "persecution". Growing up I was taught to not "rock the boat", not to cause conflict or any problems. I have always been fearful to speak the truth. I grew up wanting everyone to like me. I didn't want to be labeled a "Jesus Freak," etc. I placed this as my priority over telling the truth of Christ's love for others. Not anymore, I now want to share my love of God and what He can do and what He HAS done for me.

Q1. Revelation is written to encourage and strengthen a church facing intense persecution.

Why is the theme of testimony and witness so important to that purpose?

Simply put, survival of the church in a time of crisis is accomplished through testimony and witness. The written word was not in the hands of many, the oral word transmitted

• 3 weeks later...

I think that it is only as we grasp the greatness of our testimoney, who Jesus is, what is he made pssoible and what he does in our livet that we are able to stand up to persecution. As far as I understand from christian living in for example Algeria and Tunisia they cannot stop talking about Jesus because of who he is, even if it means persecution or death. AS we testigy, listen to testinoney and witness we are reminded of our faith and this gives us reason and hope to stand up to persecution. I am reminded of Hebrews 12 and the crowd of witnesses there. Those who have gone before and stand both as an example,a remonder and a corwd of supporters chearing us on, "come on, don

Q. 1. Only a witness who can reliabily testify to the reality of God and His trustworthyness can strengthen us to stand up under derision, mocking, and any type of persecution--mild or terrible!

Jesus is the most reliable witness, because He IS God! He witnesses to us by His Spirit to our spirit, and we come to know His voice!

In the States thus far, we do not have physical persecution. But we do have to face derision, separation from loved ones and others who do not believe, and being pushed into a place of "those kooks who need a crutch!" Sometimes, when the person is a loved one or someone who is in authority over us, the pain can be as great as physical pain, or we find our professional lives circumscribed into less valued positions. We shrink from this. But even here, some who have stood up for His reality have paid with their lives--as the girl in one school shooting did. More and more, Christians are becoming the only ones who can be discriminated against in America.

Thank you for your answer about Jesus being the reliable witness it really helped me.

Judkor

Christ is our Lord. He has gone before us. He fulfilled the old testament, performed miracles, he loved people. His teachings of sin and hell, kingdom life,

God our Father.He did not sin but forgave it in others. He became the First person in history to defeat death and live forever. All this and more to show us who he is and what he can do for us.

So when I am being mocked or ridiculed for believing, I remember why I believe

and who it is I believe in.

I can not imagine what believers go through when being tortured sometimes to death for their faith in Jesus. I can only imagine how important a reliable witness and testimony would be.

Being liked, respected, accepted is important to me, I admit. So when I speak

of Jesus Christ as Lord and when I promote the bible as true to unbelievers I open my self up to all their negative thoughts on the subject. As you can imagine, I do not like that. However I remind my self That I do need their ' empty priase '

in the first place.

Secondly, before I can speak, people around me see my actions and if I live a worldly life then my talking will have no real impact.

Thank you for your honesty and openness, I can recognise myself in what you say and was encouraged by it!

Judkor

Telling a story (which can be heard second handed) versus giving a testimony or being a witness is different. As the church is facing intense persecution, stories would not be able to encourage them, as testimony and witnessing to the people would. The church hearing from John, a disciple of Christ, whom journeyed with Him, would believe him, and not second guess what he says is true. They know that John had the personal encounter with Jesus, thus they would be more encouraged by what he says, because they also know that John went through similar persecution.

Jesus having suffered persecution himself, and risen from the dead, His life is the greatest testimony therefore it encourages us that when we follow Him, we will also experience being risen from the dead, when He comes again.

Most of the time we're afraid to be clear witnesses in our culture where we aren't persecuted, because of fear of rejection from our friends, or when we do not know our faith in Jesus Christ. We usually give ourselves many excuses like, we don't know the bible well enough, I have my family to take care of, I don't want to be shunned etc.

• 1 month later...

It is necessay to stay strong and be true to our fath. Jesus remained true no matter what His circumstances and we are to follow His example. Though here in this country we aren't persecuted, se still face ridicule and hate. We seem to care more about what others think of us than remaining true to Christ

• 2 weeks later...

We are a reflection of what is inside of us, that which is in our hearts. Our witness and testimony as Christians is what ultimately sows the seeds that draw people to the Lord. It is our Great Commission.

By His testimony and witness, His life, His Word, His death and resurrection we have a Rock, a firm foundation in which to place our trust. Jesus is our hope.

Sadly today, many Christians really aren't,if they are they would not be ashamed of His Gospel and would place pleasing Him far ahead of political correctness. So too would they know with certainty that every person that the Lord places in front of them is to be witnessed to, as their life is in their hands.